Page 12 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Manufactuers don't grant exclusivity just because they want to restrict their customer base for a period of time - they do it because carriers are selective and demand it. With a plethora of smartphone and tablet models, they are in a much greater position to demand it, especially, from manufacturers with low market share and low demand.
    I know 0 about what goes on between carriers and Manufacturers, but i always figured that exclusivity factored into the price that the carriers paid for the phones not weather they would carry them or not. Apple is a different story, but that contract was drawn up in the stone ages of the modern cell phone era. ( i am guessing)

Example. If you give me 3 months exclusive i will offer the phones discounted to 199 instead of 249, or i will pay you x dollars for each phone instead of y dollars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Exclusivity to Sprint AND CDMA was that KILLED the Palm!! Killed, killed, and reeeeeeally KILLED!!
    Hardware and an a 1st gen OS Hurt palm. A lack of capital and scale according to Johny killed palm and birthed HP webOS.

Looking at the world right now Palm was screwed unless they Licensed webOS with out HP. I am a little to young or not geeky enough to rememberer how the Apple Microsoft battle of the 90's went down, but in my eyes Andriod = Windows of smart phones right now with all the different carrier support.

The real scary part is they do not have to pay for Android so the manufactures can offer their products at better profit margin. It makes you wonder if MS will move to a similar model and try to capitalize off of bing search (which i have moved to using full time since google image search is ***).
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    It seems to me the way to defy the trend is to delay the announcement until almost ready to ship. Is there any reason why you think HP, knowing what you said above, would not be able delay announcement until closer to ship time so as to create a more effective splash than what happened with the Pre?
    While I am certain the launch window between announcement and availability at carriers will be under 6 months, I highly doubt HP would continually give a loose release window of "next year" as recently as December, then have a full suite of release-ready new products and OS that have passed the FCC and carrier testing and customization in the window of 45-60 days.

Also, regarding the 200,000 Apps rumor, didn't Rubinstein (sp) say the Pre would have 100,000 or 200,000 apps? Since his pronouncement did not come true yet, Could they mean, perhaps, the ability to port them from Apple, and this becomes possible with the WebOS2 iterations?
    They already have a "porting" mechanism in place, and even with that and an 18 month lead, WP7 is smoking them in app development. Porting is clearly not the panacea that is needed here.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    There is a huge difference between Dell, Acer, and so on and HP: HP has the OS, has the media services (Melodeo), has the cloud services (3PAR), and have lots of developers. I don't say they can launch a full environment next month, but they can launch operative devices (I'm talking software side) with some of the services they've bought since Palm's adquisition (nuTsie is hidden working for some time on webOS devices, in form of HP's music apps, i.e.).
    That's a difference between HP and Dell, maybe. Acer announced a pretty comprehensive set of media and cloud services along with their lineup of phones, tablets, and PCs. Google is baking that into the cake for all Android providers. Apple has iTunes and MobileMe. WP7 has Xbox Live and Zune. This isn't going to be much of a differentiator in 2011.

Integration between two webOS devices seems to me as absolutely natural (as soon as they do some changes in the profile side), the desktop side is what needs work (If HP plans something really huge to do with this), but I'm sure that anything they're doing is to integrate desktop computers with the cloud services, not direct device-computer integration.
    I keep reading people hoping for that on this board, but I think I'd rather have something like the Atrix where I don't NEED two or three devices, but instead can have my smartphone transform into a tablet, laptop, or desktop strictly through innovative docks and software.
    Verizon and Sprint with their Droid and Evo brands have done more for Android than GSM T-Mobile or GSM AT&T ever did
    Are you comparing just in your market, where the CDMA are big... and the Apple have many followers, more than rest of the world. But if do you compare, the rest of the world is GSM, and is the key to complet sucess. To you have some idea, Nokia don't work with CDMA but is the world leader in phones...

Hardware and an a 1st gen OS Hurt palm. A lack of capital and scale according to Johny killed palm and birthed HP webOS.
    No, man... look this example, my mother don't wanna know if is iOS, Android, WOS, xingling... or if there is a 3.0 Ghz CPU inside, she just wanna three things: easy, work and if is beatifull!! No more, and no less...

Ops, I was forgetting the four detail: that she CAN buy in any place here...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    three things: easy, work and if is beatifull!! No more, and no less...

Ops, I was forgetting the four detail: that she CAN buy in any place here...

Best Regards...
    3 out of 4 all have to do with the first Pre being junk and that all first gen OS have growing pains....No 3g on first iPhone etc...
    Are you comparing just in your market, where the CDMA are big... and the Apple have many followers, more than rest of the world. But if do you compare, the rest of the world is GSM, and is the key to complet sucess. To you have some idea, Nokia don't work with CDMA but is the world leader in phones...
    Well, HP and Palm are American companies, so if they want to succeed in America, they need a CDMA presence. But Nokia is only a volume leader, and certainly not in modern smartphones.

Yes, the rest of the world is GSM. Smart companies like Samsung and Motorola compete heavily in every spectrum possible.
    Guys did we all forget how it was when first iphone came out? That was some time ago, lets focus on Feb 9, and what can we hope to get. Palm has the youngest OS on the market, most companies are on 3.0 and beyond. So lets take it easy, Palm has the money it needs now to push forward and HP makes solid hardware, lets hope HP sees the potential of webOS and gives it the right push on Feb 9. Dont you guys find it strange that all major hardware companies already aligned themselves with carriers except for Sprint, Sprint is waiting for HPalm. Blackberry tablet will come out in Summer for Sprint but that is not exclusive. HP and Sprint will be exclusive, I think HPalm should make palmPad and the new phones should be CDMA with GSM Sim card like the Blackberry 9650 that will help HPalm in both markets.
    Just a thought.
    Guys did we all forget how it was when first iphone came out? That was some time ago, lets focus on Feb 9, and what can we hope to get. Palm has the youngest OS on the market, most companies are on 3.0 and beyond. So lets take it easy, Palm has the money it needs now to push forward and HP makes solid hardware, lets hope HP sees the potential of webOS and gives it the right push on Feb 9. Dont you guys find it strange that all major hardware companies already aligned themselves with carriers except for Sprint, Sprint is waiting for HPalm. Blackberry tablet will come out in Summer for Sprint but that is not exclusive. HP and Sprint will be exclusive, I think HPalm should make palmPad and the new phones should be CDMA with GSM Sim card like the Blackberry 9650 that will help HPalm in both markets.
    Just a thought.
    if HP and Sprint become exclusive, again, they will go down together.
    Sprint's going up, actually, since Android and their Evo brand are their new centerpiece. HP will go...in whatever direction it's currently going for some time regardless of its fortunes with WebOS. They are all about printers, ink, and servers. Everything else is a topping.

But there shouldn't be anything wrong with a temporarily exclusive WebOS tablet. Verizon will be pushing the Xoom something fierce. T-Mobile will be pushing the G-Slate. AT&T has the iPad 2 and Atrix. Sprint is the friendliest marketplace.
    sorry, but if I was an android fan seeking a tablet or smartphone, I would be suffering a major case of buyer freeze. Which phone or tablet to get? Too many choices, too confusing.

I'll stick with webOS, which hopefully will integrate all of my webOS devices in one way or the other.
    if HP and Sprint become exclusive, again, they will go down together.
    It wouldn't make much sense anymore to "bake" anymore on an exclusive carrier. Palm already made the decision to push webOS on V, AT&T, and sprint. They've got systems in place now to support those carriers, HP's resources, and have made it past 1.x (sort of).
    Just posted by Palm UK on Facebook:
    We know that a lot of you are asking questions about the HP announcement rumoured to be taking place on the 9th February. While you'll have to wait till next month to find out exactly what we're announcing, it's a safe bet that webOS and some cool new products will be on the agenda.

Not much but at least its something.
    LOL - They aren't even willing to admit that there will be an event on 9 February. It's still a rumor, apparently.
    Give them credit. No company can put out tweets, appearances at tech conferences, and executives for interviews and give out absolutely no new information as efficiently and effectively as Palm can.

I mean, no one.
    LOL - They aren't even willing to admit that there will be an event on 9 February. It's still a rumor, apparently.
    Rumor is applied to what will be announced, not that there is an event. Just sayin
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Given that almost all of the new tablets and smartphones are being launched with carrier exclusives (the ones with connectivity contracts) I would expect that HP Palm's devices will follow along with this. Does anyone plan to change carriers to get the new webOS smartphone and/or tablet?
    yes.me
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    sorry, but if I was an android fan seeking a tablet or smartphone, I would be suffering a major case of buyer freeze. Which phone or tablet to get? Too many choices, too confusing.

I'll stick with webOS, which hopefully will integrate all of my webOS devices in one way or the other.
    ces feels like a:" all you can eat buffet" u leave the place feeling sick/stuffed of cheap food
    apple, hp events feels like that classy french restaurant that you go for special moments
    Quote Originally Posted by shloime View Post
    ces feels like a:" all you can eat buffet" u leave the place feeling sick/stuffed of cheap food
    apple, hp events feels like that classy french restaurant that you go for special moments
    I only hope, as I am sure others here do, that HP will bring class and more to webOS.
    I see pandas.
    Given that almost all of the new tablets and smartphones are being launched with carrier exclusives (the ones with connectivity contracts) I would expect that HP Palm's devices will follow along with this. Does anyone plan to change carriers to get the new webOS smartphone and/or tablet?
    The only thing I'm seeing that is anywhere near an exclusive is the Playbook & even that hasn't been officially announced as an exclusive.

You're pushing the idea of exclusives but you ignore my previous oost. OS' aren't going to be exclusive to a particular carrier. Phone styles? Yes. OS'? No.

So it doesn't matter which carrier I'm on bc I'll be able to my webOS. It's just a matter of which shape & form it comes in.

It goes back to something for everyone & one device every two months. That doesn't scream exclusive.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post

But there shouldn't be anything wrong with a temporarily exclusive WebOS tablet. Verizon will be pushing the Xoom something fierce. T-Mobile will be pushing the G-Slate. AT&T has the iPad 2 and Atrix. Sprint is the friendliest marketplace.
    Sprint has the Playbook as I mentioned earlier. The Atrix is not a tablet. It is a phone. It's not even an LTE phone.

At&T said that they'll have two LTE tablets. We can assume that the Ipad 2 is one of them. The Atrix darn sure ain't the other one.
    Are you trying to hurt me?