Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hesosmoove View Post
    Also has anyone else noticed that while we keep speaking about companies and no exclusives. Everyone but sprint has got an exclusive phone/tablet announced? Of course im not including the evo shift. Also we know that the ipad 2 will be exclusive to att. Think about it, all the hardware manufactures that are there are using android and picking att/verizon/tmobile. The company that isn't there is hp and sprint wasn't there for long. Im thinking exclusive palmPad and superphones on sprint people!!!
    That is interesting, and hopefully hpalm and sprint will come together and have something to knock our socks off and in our hands before march
    I said the same thing in other post, it is very strange that Sprint is the only carrier without a pad of some kind. I dont think that palmPad be enough for sprint. They need some variety of some kind. LG, Sony, Motorola, RIM, etc.. all aligned with carriers and some carriers have multi hardware companies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    Shift looks ugly IMHO. And the keyboard looks childish. And then again there are those Android SMS bugs that my friends are experiencing. THAT IS INEXCUSABLE to send a text to someone but for it to go to someone else.
    that only happens to the stock messaging app, everybody that i know with an evo uses either handcent sms or go sms which are alternative customizable messaging apps
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by joek71 View Post
    I said the same thing in other post, it is very strange that Sprint is the only carrier without a pad of some kind. I dont think that palmPad be enough for sprint. They need some variety of some kind. LG, Sony, Motorola, RIM, etc.. all aligned with carriers and some carriers have multi hardware companies.

I agree.. rim just announced that a second playbook, the playbook 4g will be coming to sprint in the summer. Im thinking the palmPad(4g?) and playbook 4g is a formidable tablet lineup. Who can compete with those two?
    Quote Originally Posted by ctbeiser View Post
    Alright, here's my ridiculously lengthy 0.02.
    First off, the date: the ninth of february. They've figured out that a month is basically the longest that they can have us wait without losing our attention, and likely before most of the CES tablets are released. It's placed on a wednesday, which is quite a clever move. Why is this? Apple likes to announce on tuesdays and wednesdays. By placing their event on a wednesday, Apple can't place their event on either the day of or the day before, and if they did, it would simply enhance the news coverage Palm would get. (Imagine the headline: Palm and Apple announce rival tablets. Not great for apple.) For Apple's second gen iPad, I imagine it'll likely be a relatively simple upgrade; speed, ram, aesthetics, maybe even a resolution bump, 2 cameras, gyroscope, nothing groundbreaking. They're going to want to place it somewhere that doesn't bring the hype above and beyond. Their announcement will likely be in January (18, 19, or 26 [25 has Christmasine connotations]), with a late february release, or more likely, valentines day, as the rumors suggest (apple is likely to shy away from either the 1st or 31st of a month, because the number is too memorable. Don't ask me to explain that). This event is rumored to have the Verizon iPhone and the iPad 2, and probably some stuff about OS X too. The coup de grace for Palm is if they can announce products that are more groundbreaking than apple's; out-innovating them in a way.
    And how will they go about that?
    An exciting webOS announcment. That it's a webOS announcement says to me that we'll be seeing some of those tablets. Think small seems to talk about that tiny-phone to me. Think big, however, is more interesting. I would guess that it's a superphone with a rather largish screen. I'll relax my analyzation before I get to the Seussical poem, although it is worth noting that we've seen little software output recently, suggesting that the programmers have been working on some fantastical code for the Palmpad. My official guess-card is as follows:
    webOS 2.0/2.1 available for all immediately, with exhibition and voice-dialing.
    Announce of the next gen webOS, something that's between 2.1 and 2.5 (I don't know how hard and fast they're going to be playing the version number cards, but I know they might feel a need to get the number to be higher than Android's, because that kind of thing is actually kinda helpful. See Slackware for reference) ePrint, and Enyo support. Comes out in line with the Palmpad.
    The Palmpad; running webOS 2.1/2.2; a Core A9 proccessor and 512mb or more ram. I fully expect it to come with some new kind of induction charging stand; touchstone compatibility seems unlikely with that big of a screen. Probably coming out in the coming months.
    The new teen phone; likely with an A8 of some relatively normalish pedigree, and probably 256mb of ram. Slick design, touchstone out of the box, maybe marketed via music video, in order to make the design appealing to those tweensters. Not sure of the form factor, although I guess a slab is likely considering that it's supposed to be *really* *freaking* *small* I expect Palm to try and ride the hype train among the plebians with this design; their big mistake as of now has been an inability to explicate the good design of the pre and pixi to the public. Not called the Pixi 2; all that brings to mind is "What was the Pixi 1?" Probably out in about a month or so. I'd guess AT&T
    The new Superdevice. I'd say either a dualcore A9 or the same OMAP as the Pre 2, either 1 or two months until shipping, retina display or 480x800, in 3.5-3.7 inches, no keyboard, 16 or 32 GB. Palm, ala apple, loves Bezel too much to make it any bigger and stay attractive. Probably on sprint.
    webOS printers, mostly for enterprise, but also a version for home users; print from any mobile device, via email, via apps, via memory card, or over the network. Shiny design.
    Announcement that there are more phones coming; I'd expect one two months later. (I'm hoping it's on Tmobile).

I'll be the first to admit that this may not all happen. The rule of presentationgiving is to split the presentation in three. They're either going to have the first segment be on Enyo and the next version of webOS. That'll encompass the printer too. Then they'll segue into the tablet. From that, they'll go to the phones, likely first with the superphone, and then the teenphone.
    Things that are possbile but unlikely:
    Three phones announced; one middle of the line landscape slider.
    webOS netbook. If there was one though, I'd expect it'd either slide or flip (ala the latitude duo.)
    webOS toaster.
    Someone will actually read this entire post.

You were right about one thing..... It was ridiculously lengthy!
    Quote Originally Posted by hesosmoove View Post
    Also has anyone else noticed that while we keep speaking about companies and no exclusives. Everyone but sprint has got an exclusive phone/tablet announced? Of course im not including the evo shift. Also we know that the ipad 2 will be exclusive to att. Think about it, all the hardware manufactures that are there are using android and picking att/verizon/tmobile. The company that isn't there is hp and sprint wasn't there for long. Im thinking exclusive palmPad and superphones on sprint people!!!
    Why would the iPad 2 be limited to AT&T when not even the first iPad is limited to AT&T?
    Men, I know just one thing: all this tablets launched with Android just give a bad idea about this: to simple user, it's all the same thing.

"Ah, Android... no keyboard... if is Asus, Samsung, xingling... all is the same thing! The only diference is in IPad".

So... IF the H/Palm work correctly, making a good price, can make the diference to all buyers!! THIS is a REAL advantage: is not more of the same...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    RIM announced that the Playbook will be on Sprint in the Summer. I don't think you're going to see any exclusives by anyone as far as PHONES are concerned. A certain type (slider, 4.3 slab vs 3.7) of phone exclusive to a particular carrier, sure. But availability of similar phones from the same manufacturer on other carriers, yep. That is essentially what Samsung, Moto and HTC have done.

When Phil McKinney of HP says a webOS phone every two months in 2011 I'm guessing that HP will employ the same technique used by the companies I mentioned.

Jon Rub said in April during a interview in France that if he could have a do over he wouldn't have done an exclusive. So they've learned their lesson and at this point there really isn't a need for an exclusive.

None of the Android phones announced yesterday for AT&T are going to be wrapped in AT&T's brand of LTE. Moto's Honeycomb tablet is going to be Verizon based. LG's Honeycomb tablet is T-Mob based. Sprint will have a WiMax Playbook. So T-Mob, Sprint, & V have 4G tablets.

For AT&T to participate in the launch of the two LTE tablets they said they'll have they'll need a manufacturer or two to make those tablets? Outside of Apple, AT&T will probably have several LTE phones ready to launch in the summer when their LTE network goes live. We can make an educated guess about whom those manufacturers will be, but I'll leave that to you all.

Before we begin to talk about carriers not supporting webOS lets wait and see what happens. I have a feeling you're going to see a lot of support.
    Last edited by playboy; 01/06/2011 at 06:59 AM.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Jon Rub said in April during a interview in France that if he could have a do over he wouldn't have done an exclusive. So they've learned their lesson and at this point there really isn't a need for an exclusive.
    Just more evidence that he's a moron.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Just more evidence that he's a moron.
    Um, ok. Why the name calling? I don't get it. He made a mistake and he was able to acknowledge that. Let's move forward people. I'm sure we can all repeatedly be called morons for our mistakes.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Um, ok. Why the name calling? I don't get it. He made a mistake and he was able to acknowledge that. Let's move forward people. I'm sure we can all repeatedly be called morons for our mistakes.
    The sprint exclusive wasn't a mistake though. Think of all the mistakes he did make and he regrets one of his few good choices. So when you say he can learn from his past mistakes, sure, but not if he doesn't realize which is which.

What else was Palm going to do at that time? Sprint had nothing and offered to market the Pre and make it the flagship. For a company with low resources that wasn't a mistake, that was a gift.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbriar511 View Post
    You were right about one thing..... It was ridiculously lengthy!
    and thanks for quoting the entire thing in your reply!
    his biggest was the advertizing.. the droid had explosions and machines slamming down to earth and people curious and buzz all around.... we had some borg lady that talked about peace and her monthly visitor, or some nasal drug... who knows.

Either way we aren't going to see hardware for 3 to 6 months
    CES should make clear to anyone that HP can come out of this smelling like a rose. Which company isn't making an android pad that largely look all the same? Honeycomb, even if it works as demoed, is great for google. But how great will it be if you're one of 50 companies or so selling the same hardware?

HP, like Apple, like RIM, will be the sole provider of webOS devices. Someone posted the Xoom spells trouble for HP. I'm thinking the Xoom will have 50 other clones to compete against. I'd much rather be in HP's shoes.

I'm not so concerned about hardware and a more polished webOS, that's the easy part for HP. The question is can they provide the big name apps, unique core services, and some kind of compelling ecosystem.
    ... And ads that show features/benefits instead of busy mom's and creepy ladies.
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    I'm excited for new phone hardware. after 2 weeks with an EVO, I'm considering returnimg it and going back to my beloved Pre. I miss webos!
    Exclusivity to Sprint AND CDMA was that KILLED the Palm!! Killed, killed, and reeeeeeally KILLED!!

The WORLD is GSM!! Think only in USA is lose your place in WORLD!!

I has said before, and insist: big part of IPhone sucess in the begining is because was GSM: the people buyed in USA and sell in other countries.

If was CDMA, was so dead as Apple Ping...

So, the HP have sell Web OS in ALL COUNTRIES, in ALL WORLD, with LOW PRICE, to everybody to buy and can USE the system. More people using, more developers interested, more softwares created, more softwares selled, more $$$...

Serious, the H/Palm no have to make "trilions" of models: just few and right models: small, beautifull & cheap; middle, sober & good price and a Top of Mind... beyond a good Tablet 8 inch screen with 800 x 600 and 4:3 format (to "work as" the 7 inch with 800 x 480 and 16:9 screens, when necessary) but; MORE the ALL, create or use some Windows, Mac & Linux clients to Sync the Docs & PIM (Like the Palm Desktop) that make a PERFECT SYNC with cloud, the same way that is Synergy today: sync with cloud, but working offline, too!!

Just imagine: I begin to edit my appointment in street, finish in elevator and turn on my desktop, showing my information totally refreshed!!! :shock:

No, this is not a dream... is a possible REALITY!!

Okay, some people gonna say: "-But the Google do this!", but the true is: not, the Google try to put EVERYTHING in cloud, without nothing offline! So, if do you not find some internet connection... well... I believe that everybody has understand...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    CES should make clear to anyone that HP can come out of this smelling like a rose. Which company isn't making an android pad that largely look all the same? Honeycomb, even if it works as demoed, is great for google. But how great will it be if you're one of 50 companies or so selling the same hardware?
    I'm already seeing differences. Did you see the Visio tablet? Completely different interface than Honeycomb. The Atrix is differentiated with its Webtop and laptop modes. I mean, PC-grade Firefox on a big monitor....but from your phone? That's hard to beat.

HP, like Apple, like RIM, will be the sole provider of webOS devices. Someone posted the Xoom spells trouble for HP. I'm thinking the Xoom will have 50 other clones to compete against. I'd much rather be in HP's shoes.
    The Xoom will be competing against scant few other devices since Verizon will be its primary mover and pimping it hard since it has a simcard slot for Verizon LTE. I would hope that whatever HP drops, it will be of similar value to carriers and their 4G plans. No wi-fi only tablet sold independent of carriers is going to fare well against the wi-fi iPad unless it's significantly cheaper, which is unlikely. Especially Apple will drop the price of the remaining Gen 1 iPads to make room for the iPad 2.

I'm not so concerned about hardware and a more polished webOS, that's the easy part for HP. The question is can they provide the big name apps, unique core services, and some kind of compelling ecosystem.
    Yup.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I'm not saying this is impossible, but as I have said elsewhere - I work for a MAJOR retailer (international and US) and we're an HP client for many things. I work in online and side-by-side the developers of our mobile apps. We already have an iOS one, and the Android one is almost complete. WP7 is slated after that, and that's it. Not only do we have no plans whatsoever for WebOS, but HP never approached our development team about it.

I asked some of the leads personally back when I still had a Pre.
    That's a bad sign. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I sure hope so. They need to be getting apps from all the businesses that we already do business with. Netflix, Hulu, Bank of America, IheartRadio, etc etc.

That's what will put webOS on the map for new smartphone buyers.
    Yup. The Pre 2 is good enough hardware. But it needs apps. I look at "WordLens" and drool. The odds are really good that WordLens will expand from Spanish to some language I can use (German or Japanese come to mind.) The odds are good that it will be ported to Android. The odds of my ever seeing it on the Pre? Infinitesimal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Exclusivity to Sprint AND CDMA was that KILLED the Palm!! Killed, killed, and reeeeeeally KILLED!!

The WORLD is GSM!! Think only in USA is lose your place in WORLD!!

I has said before, and insist: big part of IPhone sucess in the begining is because was GSM: the people buyed in USA and sell in other countries.

If was CDMA, was so dead as Apple Ping...
    Um, no? Verizon and Sprint with their Droid and Evo brands have done more for Android than GSM T-Mobile or GSM AT&T ever did. CDMA is a non-factor globally, but it is a huge component of US success. WP7 is hobbled right now partially because they have NO CDMA devices to sell to the 130-140 million CDMA users in America.