Page 10 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    ya this guy has no reason to lie about cell phone matter since we post on an NBA board, but i am sure the HP rep was just trying to hype him up by exaggerating the number.

i absolutely agree with the 200 hyper quality apps being enough. Hell, i'd take 50 great apps at this point.

either way...good to see HP going into Verizon stores to train employees on webOS again. we've all heard the horror stories there...
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I still can't believe Palm doesn't allow direct access to the microphone camera. I want a Shazam app and some augmented reality apps.
    i use my phone as a GPS alot and after having the EVO for a bit i want a compass. Augmented reality sounds fun, but a good GPS is clutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Every computer manufacturer stepping in the smartphone ring - Dell, Acer, etc. - is announcing a suite of connected products, but none have been able to ship sooner than a number of months after the announcements. Even Samsung couldn't get the Galaxy S to US carriers any sooner than 4 months after announcing it. And it took another 3-4 months to get it on every US carrier.
    It seems to me the way to defy the trend is to delay the announcement until almost ready to ship. Is there any reason why you think HP, knowing what you said above, would not be able delay announcement until closer to ship time so as to create a more effective splash than what happened with the Pre?

Also, regarding the 200,000 Apps rumor, didn't Rubinstein (sp) say the Pre would have 100,000 or 200,000 apps? Since his pronouncement did not come true yet, Could they mean, perhaps, the ability to port them from Apple, and this becomes possible with the WebOS2 iterations?
    Global Posts
    412 Global Posts
    On the announcement for February - I didn't read through the entire thread (sorry), but will there be a new WebOS phone for Sprint? My Pre is barely hanging on, but I just can't give up WebOS.

Thanks!!!
    What if this whole crusade's a charade? -Trent Reznor
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    It seems to me the way to defy the trend is to delay the announcement until almost ready to ship. Is there any reason why you think HP, knowing what you said above, would not be able delay announcement until closer to ship time so as to create a more effective splash than what happened with the Pre?

Also, regarding the 200,000 Apps rumor, didn't Rubinstein (sp) say the Pre would have 100,000 or 200,000 apps? Since his pronouncement did not come true yet, Could they mean, perhaps, the ability to port them from Apple, and this becomes possible with the WebOS2 iterations?
    FCC filings are public, and would out the product before the company has a chance to announce it. HP can't keep something in the jurisdiction of the FCC a secret. At least, I don't think they can.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    FCC filings are public, and would out the product before the company has a chance to announce it. HP can't keep something in the jurisdiction of the FCC a secret. At least, I don't think they can.
    Didn't the FCC for the Pre2 leak in early October, about a month before it was released in France?

So they could file for FCC in late Jan/ early Feb and have the products ready to go in mid-March, before the close of Q1. If that is the timeframe, it would certainly make it understandable why they would not be announcing at CES, but may have some demo product for preview to customers by invite behind closed doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I think - hope? - HP has more serious intentions than short-term measures, but I will agree that even if they have something to show in February, I think it'll be awhile before it makes it to market. Every computer manufacturer stepping in the smartphone ring - Dell, Acer, etc. - is announcing a suite of connected products, but none have been able to ship sooner than a number of months after the announcements. Even Samsung couldn't get the Galaxy S to US carriers any sooner than 4 months after announcing it. And it took another 3-4 months to get it on every US carrier.

If HP could defy this trend, I would be amazed.
    There is a huge difference between Dell, Acer, and so on and HP: HP has the OS, has the media services (Melodeo), has the cloud services (3PAR), and have lots of developers. I don't say they can launch a full environment next month, but they can launch operative devices (I'm talking software side) with some of the services they've bought since Palm's adquisition (nuTsie is hidden working for some time on webOS devices, in form of HP's music apps, i.e.).

Integration between two webOS devices seems to me as absolutely natural (as soon as they do some changes in the profile side), the desktop side is what needs work (If HP plans something really huge to do with this), but I'm sure that anything they're doing is to integrate desktop computers with the cloud services, not direct device-computer integration.

Hardware related, I don't know if they can accelerate development too much, but if they can't, nobody can.

We've been joking with "the coming months", but from July 1st to March 31th they've had 9 months to work agressively on both products and software.
    Newness Developments apps:

Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I don't think the relationship between Sprint and Palm is strained. Both companies are able to make solid business decisions without hurting the other's feelings. If Sprint passed on the Pre2 (and they probably did) that just makes Palm want to work that much harder for the next one. Playing hard to get works in many aspects of life.
    The original Pre hurt Sprint, IIRC.
    Bad build quality, having to replace users' phones over 9000 times costs money.

I honestly don't understand what's practical about exclusivity agreements to the smartphone maker. IMO Palm kinda's hurt itself by exclusivity with Sprint. HP should take the new phones and release them on all major US carriers, - same with the tablets.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    You can request to FCC to keep it secret for some time.

i asked the guy about the HP rep that said 200,000 that maybe he was mistaken, but the guy said the HP rep definitely said 200,000.

He also said the webOS tablet would come with webOS 3.0.

no idea how true this is...just throwing out what i heard from this guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    The original Pre hurt Sprint, IIRC.
    Bad build quality, having to replace users' phones over 9000 times costs money.

I honestly don't understand what's practical about exclusivity agreements to the smartphone maker. IMO Palm kinda's hurt itself by exclusivity with Sprint. HP should take the new phones and release them on all major US carriers, - same with the tablets.
    sometime there isnt a choice. Vzw and at&t arent typically going to go first, and sprint has a history of being the first/exclusive with the newest stuff.

I'm of the opinion that Palm had no choice. Had to get it on one of the big three.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riboflavin View Post
    i asked the guy about the HP rep that said 200,000 that maybe he was mistaken, but the guy said the HP rep definitely said 200,000.

He also said the webOS tablet would come with webOS 3.0.

no idea how true this is...just throwing out what i heard from this guy.
    Definitely, the tablet will not come with webOS 2.0.1, as Enyo is supposed to be the framework for multiple resolution apps. I doubt they'll call it 3.0 but something as 2.4 or 2.5 sounds well to me...

Each carrier has its own exclusive rights with different companies, Verizon has Motorola, AT&T has Apple, Sprint has Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    It's a risky gamble though. For this to work, HP has to show a slew of products that are significantly better than the things that will be demoed and announced at CES.

While I agree it's a gamble. It's like the perfect gamble. It's after ces and i think there's an apple shindig sometime this month right? Also MWC is right after HP's event. Therefore HP will have the opportunity to steal the limelight from all tablets and phones announced before it and also put the pressure on whatever is coming at MWC. I also think they're either trying to skip ces and mwc by having their event in the middle of each or they willl announce hardware on the 9 of February (think phones/tablets/computers). Then (hopefully) follow with in depth views/hands-on time with their newest versions of webos. I'm thinking versions 2.5 and higher. Imagine at mwc they show all their software and ecosystem plans,apps,developers and media software. I also remember reading somewhere that one of HP's boss' said new phones would be coming in "early 2011". To me "early 2011" means earlier than june. Six months in, definitely is early by any standards. Add that to the fact that hp will release a device every two months and I"m thinking a february-april time-frame. Any thoughts??
    Quote Originally Posted by joek71 View Post
    Each carrier has its own exclusive rights with different companies, Verizon has Motorola, AT&T has Apple, Sprint has Palm.
    I don't think anyone has any reliable exclusives, really. Consider that AT&T just picked up the Moto Atrix (a nice piece of hardware, incidentally), and of course there are the constant rumors (not pretty much assumptions, I think) that Verizon will be getting the iPhone soon.

And I really don't think Sprint will have any kind of exclusive with HP.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I think that Sprint will have some kind of exclusive with HP, I think HP will honor the agreement between Sprint and Palm. HPalm will give Sprint palmPad and 1 or 2 flag ship exclusive phones. And the rest of the carriers will get different models, something like Samsung did. Just a thought.
    No i feel it gives them time to forget and look forward to february. It's not like everyday consumers know of these announcements. Just the more tech savvy amongst us pay attention to such events. So while i think the devices that are being announced now at ces are great. It also makes us ask questions like: "What will apple announce?" and " What will HP show at their event?" This actually helps those two companies because ces helps build excitement for their events. No one one any of these sites(precentral/androidcentral etc can honestly say that ces doesn't make them think about companies such as HP and Apple, or make them think of MWC.
    While the 200,000 apps thing sounds far fetched, I don't think it would be if HP's hints at Android conversion tools meant they could actually convert, with ease, the most of the Android apps. Still sounds a bit much, but I do believe that a conversion tool would rapidly build-up the webOS app library.
    Also has anyone else noticed that while we keep speaking about companies and no exclusives. Everyone but sprint has got an exclusive phone/tablet announced? Of course im not including the evo shift. Also we know that the ipad 2 will be exclusive to att. Think about it, all the hardware manufactures that are there are using android and picking att/verizon/tmobile. The company that isn't there is hp and sprint wasn't there for long. Im thinking exclusive palmPad and superphones on sprint people!!!