Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Let's say you work for HP/ Palm and you need to put Palm back on the map. There is a ton of competition in mobile phones and tablets. What can you possibly do to make Palm stand out from the rest of the pack? I'm asking because all of us are expecting something big from Palm this year, but what are we expecting? What can Palm possibly do to make people stop buying Iphones and IPads and Evo's and Blackberry's? As faithful Palm followers, what are some concepts or devices Palm could use to knock off the competition?
    Well, I would LOVE to work for Palm.

Step one is for them to get the major businesses port their apps to webOS so we can consume their product on our Palm phones. That's everything from Hulu and netflix to Bank of America, I Heart Radio, Kindle, and all the other apps that let us buy and use the stuff we are already are getting on our notebooks. If I were HP I'd be paying those companies for the right to let HP develop and possibly support the app for a year or two.

Then they deliver a leading family of hardware where phones/pads/netbooks have al sorts of great integration. Imagine if you could set your Pre next to yourPC and have the Pre screen on your monitor/mouse/keyboard, and transferring files would be a snap if they automatically had a PAN between them, integrate equially well with iPads and Android Pads, etc.

Then killer marketing, without the esoteric highbrow image crap they've run in the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by macbranson View Post
    Let's say you work for HP/ Palm and you need to put Palm back on the map. There is a ton of competition in mobile phones and tablets. What can you possibly do to make Palm stand out from the rest of the pack? I'm asking because all of us are expecting something big from Palm this year, but what are we expecting? What can Palm possibly do to make people stop buying Iphones and IPads and Evo's and Blackberry's? As faithful Palm followers, what are some concepts or devices Palm could use to knock off the competition?
    1: Put an Apple logo on all their devices
    2: If they can't do the above, saturate the market with numerous webos devices
    •Improve synergy. (more options of service and curration)

•Add many needed api's (microphone for starters)

•Cross device usage ( one login and device auto syncing over cloud)

•More customizable phone options ( from ui to notification settings)

•Some kind of widget ( glancable information besides exhibition)

•More future tech like inductive charging (possibly wireless syncing)

•Clean up input methods (no more fuction + tap.. Add tap hold magnify ala iphone and except for that rid all long press commands.

...and little things... Maybe time and signal on bottom where notifications would also reside.

A tablet solution other than a bigger phone ui... Think honeycomb and go from there (multi app in one window maybaa)

:•)
    Last edited by IcerC; 01/08/2011 at 12:54 AM.
    Advertise...and no creepy ladies!

Posted from my eVo!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Show multitasking on a HP laptop, then show multitasking on competitors (iPhone, Android, etc), and lastly end off with webOS. The audience will usually end up choosing the mobile OS which is closest in relation to Windows since desktop multitasking is desirable.
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    Show multitasking on a HP laptop, then show multitasking on competitors (iPhone, Android, etc), and lastly end off with webOS. The audience will usually end up choosing the mobile OS which is closest in relation to Windows since desktop multitasking is desirable.
    I think this is a geek thing and nobody else cares - everyone here and palm already banged on about webos's multitasking and nobody gave a **** - why would that suddenly change?
    Honeycomb (and prob honeycomb for phones) has a multitasking ui now too. Palm had it's start but with google and rim showing it off that can't be the main selling point anymore.

wow:
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Honeycomb (and prob honeycomb for phones) has a multitasking ui now too. Palm had it's start but with google and rim showing it off that can't be the main selling point anymore.

wow:
    Maybe in wrong but they're only showing widgets.
    Newness Developments apps:

Just looked at the video of Honeycomb and I'm not impressed. From a geek perspective, there is some neat/cool stuff, but the problem is that it's complex and doesn't have a flow. It looks like a mash of various concepts. The one thing webOS and even the old Garnett have/had is/was ease of use. Making it very easy to do everything you need is what made Palm...Palm. They still have that advantage.

What I would do if I was HP/Palm is first made several different hot form factor phones using very high quality materials and build. Do the Apple thing as best you can. You need to have varying screen sizes from something like a Pixi all the way up to Evo size. Phones with and without keyboards. Present tablets of a couple sizes, and give them Bluetooth keyboards. Make the keyboards capable of being attached to the tablet for easy carry.

On the software side, add features to the core PIM apps that the old Palm crowd needed to make the change. Provide a synching tool that can synch our desktop PIM (Outlook and the Mac is minimal) and make that app capable of synching over Wifi, Bluetooth, and USB. Make it keep your tablet and phone synched together and share your one Palm profile. Need an agenda view. Need to fix the task and notes applications to give them the features people need then provide a tool for old Palm OS users to port their information in (these things have apparently stopped a lot of Palm faithful from switching to webOS).

Provide a multimedia experience like no other using a new Palm media and file application sweet. It would include the ability to stream any of your music and videos (including from iTunes) to your phone or tablet via the cloud, while also giving you the ability to save your favorite media to the phone like now but with the missing capabilities. It should be able to give you access to your photos as well as your important documents that reside on your PC. The application should allow you to tag the folders where you store your stuff, on your PC or home server, and allow that content to be shared to your phone and tablet, and provide the option of encrypting the information with high level encryption for security (think business uses here as well).

Finally a combination of the infamous Mojo messaging service and fully encrypted, highly secure cloud server service to directly compete with RIM's BES, but make it much cheaper, and then you can combine this service, and the phones and tablets, to contract packages with business who buy your phones and printers. This would be impossible for RIM to directly compete against, since they don't make PC's, printers, servers, and business application packages.

That's my not so short list. Personally, I think HP/Palm is working on most, if not all of these things right now, which is why I think they will ultimately be successful. How successful, though, is another question entirely.
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    I think its easy, bring out a just-enough ahead device. Then advertise the hell out of it.

Remember the Palm Pilot? We invented it.
    Remember the Treo? We invented the Smartphone?
    Now the <insert new name here> and we are inventing the Superphone.
    Next year everyone else will have it too. Next year's superphone today.
    Palm, where it all began.

Simple clear advertising that is everywhere you turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Maybe in wrong but they're only showing widgets.
    Go to 5:59 in the video. Honeycomb and every version of Android going forth will always have a bar at the bottom of the screen with your system buttons. One of them is a task switcher that shows pictures (like cards) of the state that each app was in when you left it. It's vertical whereas cards are horizontal. You don't have to hold down the Home button anymore, and you you can see pictures of the app instead of icons.
    palm should hire Ted Williams to do all the voice over work.
    Did you know I can also annoy you on twitter? @mikevember
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    You are already working for Palm, except you are not gettin' paid...........
    Mostly good suggestions, but they're useless without speedy and effective execution. The market just moves too fast these days, and Palm's sluggishness has persisted well into their acquisition of HP.

So if I'd change anything about HP or Palm, it'd be that. Learn how to execute quickly and effectively.

Aside from that....HP loves to acquire companies so much....acquire a few development houses. Show Apple and Google that you're not playing buy taking a favorite development house off the table (e.g. Gameloft, Rovio). That's how Microsoft garnered the most attention with Xbox 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I think this is a geek thing and nobody else cares - everyone here and palm already banged on about webos's multitasking and nobody gave a **** - why would that suddenly change?
    There hasn't been proper advertisements showing webOS multitasking.
    When we think of advertising to general consumers, we have to think of what they want when they use a phone, which is the ability to make calls and messages, intriging hardware features, and an easy user interface. Establishing that the next webOS phone is able to make calls and messages and has intriging hardware features (big screen, hardware keyboard, front facing camera, dedicated camera button, etc.), we are left with advertising an easy user interface.
    We/I/HP can advertise that people don't usually use their phone thinking they want to do one task at a time. For example, I want to watch a video, I watch it, leave my phone, I come back wanting to read an article, read it, leave my phone, so on and so forth. Advertisements that show that webOS users can go to their phones wanting to do multiple tasks, opening and loading multiple applications at the same time, and being left with multiple cards ready to be interacted with will definitely make general consumers interested in webOS and what it has to offer.

*End of essay*
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Before, how many people even tried the Palm Pre and WebOS multitasking? Better yet, how many knew what WebOS was? Most people who has picked up a WebOS enabled phone and messed with the way it handles multitasking, love it, hate the phone. And the percentage who has actually tried WebOS ... well, lets just say thats lower then WebOS market share. So, if they actually make a good device (I do love the Pre but you have to admit it needs to be more reliable and larger), with better features (look in this post for examples) and add a good marketing scheme (this is HP ... their ad's are very good) and you MIGHT have a winner. You'll see more phones for sure, but to have a true winner it has to be different then what Google and Apple has all ready done. And it has to be different then the late HP Slate powered by Windows 7.
    Do consumers care about switching between multiple tasks or do they care about having multiples upon multiples of tasks to choose from?

No cards commercial is going to be as interesting as showing an iPad function as a guitar amp effects box or watching Toy Story 3 or making crystal clear Facetime calls.

HP's own commercials for their products don't focus on features. They show computer graphics and celebrities and, well....sizzle. I don't expect this to change with Palm. WebOS used to be a very differentiated software platform. Now, it's not. So...focus on other things to stress differences.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    I agree that webOS needs more apps, more features, more API's, etc. However, in the short term I think they just need to get a wide variety of really good hardware out there. Phones that are well built, provide good battery life and are just plain sexy will be the first thing people see and touch. I really hope we'll see the start of this on 2/9.
    since Palm and now HP Palm have proven that they are rank amateurs at mobile hardware, let Samsung, HTC, Sony, & the likes of Nokia design and develop your hardware and just stick to focusing on the OS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast