1.    #1  
    Hi!

I am very ignorant in the ways of Java and webOS app-making, but I think I see a glimmer of hope in something I'm pursuing.

I am part of the Internet Scrabble Club, which is a bunch of Scrabble-lovers who play against each other--not on a website, but by using an application that is downloaded to our computers and then we are paired up over the internet. We can chat with each other while we're playing, too. It's a lot of fun!

I would love to have access to this group from my Pre. I asked the group if they had a mobile version, and here is what one person responded with:

"The Linux version of ISC [Internet Scrabble Club] is just java, maybe that might work from your phone."

So, not knowing anything about Linux, Java or app making, can someone direct me to the appropriate websites or persons that could give me some guidance? If someone has already posted step-by-step instructions on how to port a Java app over to webOS, I would be happy to learn how to do it. But if it's a matter of learning new language or two... well, let's just say I'm sticking to English lately.

(BTW, I went to the webOS Internals wiki and was so lost in all the jargon, I just decided to come here; it's a bit over my head.)

Thank you for your help! And thank you, PreCentral, for such a wonderful site!
    It really depends on a few things. webOS doesn't use Java for apps, so you can't just drop the Java app into webOS.

You may be able to use Google Web Toolkit (Google Web Toolkit Overview - Google Web Toolkit - Google Code) to convert the Java to JavaScript and get it to run on webOS, but that'll require a bit of knowledge of webOS app development.

But most likely you'll need to write it from scratch. Get them to provide the APIs and you should be able to do it then, but without knowledge of web design/development, you've got little chance of getting it to work.
    Last edited by Arthur Thornton; 01/07/2011 at 07:07 PM.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    I'm a little embarrassed to actually admit this, but I, too could use this feature, but for a very different purpose.

We run an internal application developed using Oracle's Application Server to run and manage bits and pieces of our in-house database. I guess why I'm embarrassed is cause I have no clue where to even start with developing for webOS, even though I've been doing web development and database development for a few years now... If someone could point me in a decent direction, I would be most appreciative...
    If you want get your feet wet, you can start here... SDK Download - HP Palm Developer Center - There is a guide for installing the SDK, and a walk through on making a "Hello World" app.

It doesn't go into the deep end, but might help give you a feel for getting into coding on webOS.

Edit: oh, BTW make sure the java code you referred to is open source or you have permission to go digging around in and modifying it.

Edit #2: If the above stuff doesn't scare you, there are many references in the forums on Palm's site and here are a couple of books... http://www.amazon.com/Palm-webOS-Mit...bosnation0e-20 and http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Palm...bosnation0e-20

I think the first book is a better starting place, but the second has some more advanced topics. Again, try out the "Build Your First Application" link after installing the SDK and make sure you feel comfortable with that before investing too much money in books or time on the forums.
    Last edited by sinime; 01/07/2011 at 01:47 PM.
    This may help but it is a long way from complete right now...

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-45-2-0-a.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    This may help but it is a long way from complete right now...

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-45-2-0-a.html
    That is one of those low-end Java VMs. Not the type that can actually run this type of software. It is the type found on older phones, like the Moto Razr.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup