Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was at a Staples here in Toronto earlier today, and I was looking at an HP printer when an HP rep came up to me. He tried to sell me on the printer, but I cut him off and asked him if he would instead tell me everything about the new HP Palm phones and tablets that will be released on Feb 9th. He looked at me like 'How the hell do you know about that.' and he said he had no idea that Feb 9th was going to be the official launch but he did know for certain that by March, HP WebOS devices would be in Canada. He went on to say that it would be a tablet (yeah, I know, surprise, really?) but he did go on to say, with absolute certainty that there would be a dual processor, front and back facing camera, HDMI etc. Much of what we've heard before. What I'd never heard before was this... okay, prepare your grains of salt...

He said that HP is planning a huge, I mean HUGE push for WebOS. They might even have a store in Toronto just to sell WebOS products.

I assumed it would be one of those temporary stores like Microsoft did for Kinnect on Yonge st. But that was new info to me. Okay, you may begin shooting down my rumour.... now.
    Should have got a printer, best I ever had.

Evo-lution
    meh would be great if it turns out true, but i wouldn't hold my breath
    OP, you got any news from the Pizza man?
    Feb 9 isn't a release date... but an announcement event.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    I was at a Staples here in Toronto earlier today, and I was looking at an HP printer when an HP rep came up to me. He tried to sell me on the printer, but I cut him off and asked him if he would instead tell me everything about the new HP Palm phones and tablets that will be released on Feb 9th. He looked at me like 'How the hell do you know about that.' and he said he had no idea that Feb 9th was going to be the official launch but he did know for certain that by March, HP WebOS devices would be in Canada. He went on to say that it would be a tablet (yeah, I know, surprise, really?) but he did go on to say, with absolute certainty that there would be a dual processor, front and back facing camera, HDMI etc. Much of what we've heard before. What I'd never heard before was this... okay, prepare your grains of salt...

He said that HP is planning a huge, I mean HUGE push for WebOS. They might even have a store in Toronto just to sell WebOS products.

I assumed it would be one of those temporary stores like Microsoft did for Kinnect on Yonge st. But that was new info to me. Okay, you may begin shooting down my rumour.... now.
    I'm on board.. Crosses fingers and toes as well as other appendages

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I hope it's true. Seeing how HP owns 10% of global shelf space, it would be the company to make a big push for a product, but we still don't know how dedicated HP is to making webOS a success.

Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    I'm on board.. Crosses fingers and toes as well as other appendages

I'm glad you stopped there with the details!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    I'm glad you stopped there with the details!

i mean hell, y not, apple has their own stores, so y not have an HP Store? and i dont kno if anyone has EVER commented on this, and i feel like i have never seen something along these lines, but y not a WebOs MP3 player? theres android players now, that would be a "think beyond" type device, and could u imagine being able to stream media, from ur HP desktop, laptop, netbook, etc. to not only ur webos mp3 player, but ur phone, tablet, etc? just the thought of it makes me a little giddy, cuz webos is something i could see using accross the board for EVERYTHING...
    A webOS Store? That must be the closest thing to the heaven!
    I don't need a webos Mp3 player since technically mp3 players like the iPod touch and android galaxy player are just PDA device labeled A's mp3 players. Honesrly. I use my iPod touch for sooo much more then music lol. Thus if I had an iPhone it'd be no different. So for webos phone users it'd be pointless UNLESS they made a camera media device. No ones done it yet... That would defiantly be a beyond... I'm honestly surprised apple didn't do Ir with the itouch yet. Make it just A's thick A's the iPhone 4 with a 10 mod camera 3x zoom, and all the camera goodies normally on a camera. And a real flash obviously and a camera button. It shocks me no ones done it. (samsung duaview with android? That'd be be awesome! Or an HP webos camera? That'd be awesome too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    I was at a Staples here in Toronto earlier today, and I was looking at an HP printer when an HP rep came up to me....
    Since when does Staples have HP reps, especially ones selling to customers? I work in retail and the reps come in to talk to the employees, not customers.

PSN: StuntmanMark
    Twitter: @StuntmanMark

The Name: http://is.gd/nxnbhK
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMark View Post
    Since when does Staples have HP reps, especially ones selling to customers? I work in retail and the reps come in to talk to the employees, not customers.

I've been in retail 15 years or so

and Well reps I know do talk to customers, everyone from carrier reps to manufacturer reps.. As for your first question.. No idea

I used to work at staples and we had reps from hp, microsoft and even intel come in all the time.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    It would be nice if HP opened up a store. It doesn't have to be just about webOS. HP has a good diversity of products that people can walk in and just see. Most retail stores don't sell some of the higher end products that HP offers such as the workstations or the envy line of laptops. HP could offer their entire selection of products at their store. Location of a store though is very important. I would personally place a store in like a mall location where there is already a high volume of traffic. People walking by could pop their head in and see what all the webOS excitement is about and who knows, maybe even walk out with a webOS toaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by eserrano250 View Post
    It would be nice if HP opened up a store. It doesn't have to be just about webOS. HP has a good diversity of products that people can walk in and just see. Most retail stores don't sell some of the higher end products that HP offers such as the workstations or the envy line of laptops. HP could offer their entire selection of products at their store. Location of a store though is very important. I would personally place a store in like a mall location where there is already a high volume of traffic. People walking by could pop their head in and see what all the webOS excitement is about and who knows, maybe even walk out with a webOS toaster.
    If they did open up a store, I would imagine it would be like this. They can sell on cloud integration with ALL devices, and not just WebOS devices. Like you can shoot a pdf to your WebOS tablet from your HP desktop, etc.

It would be a HUGE endeavor for HP though, that could be very tough to pull off... But I hope one would go in near me

EDIT: Concerning the HP rep thing, I worked at Office Max for a couple years and we had reps from all companies coming in. I worked the floor occasionally, and it was great when they would come up when you were talking to a customer and basically take over. They were much better salesman than us, due to their knowledge.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    It sounds to me like you might need to stroll around your local mall for a while. You need mostly consumer electronics aimed primarily at teenagers in order to support a mall location. And you might as well not bother selling workstations in the same store. Sorry, but an HP store doesn't work on any level.
    yeah. this.

can you say Gateway Store?
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    It sounds to me like you might need to stroll around your local mall for a while. You need mostly consumer electronics aimed primarily at teenagers in order to support a mall location. And you might as well not bother selling workstations in the same store. Sorry, but an HP store doesn't work on any level.
    I mean...it's possible. But living near a mall with a Sony Style store, an Apple store, and a Dell kiosk (tee-hee)....I can say that it takes a LOT more than smartphones and computers to make a compelling consumer brick and mortar store.

Have you guys spent some time in an Apple store? iPods, iPhones, and iPads are loaded up with unique games, music, videos, and lots of fun apps. WebOS....it just aint there yet. In fact, nowhere near it. Setting up a bunch of slates and slab phones with old Gameloft games and the bare bones media player isn't going to excite anybody. The best apps would be iPhone ports that Apple wouldn't even bother with in an Apple store!

Sony Style at least has PS3s and Sony Bravia TVs and surround sound systems to fall back on. But if you cleaved that away and limited Sony to the same things HP sold...Sony Style stores would be empty and out of business rather quickly.
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    Has anyone commented on a Wi-Fi only palmPad version? I would love a palmPad but I don't want to pay for the data connection. Wi-Fi (MHS on my Verizon Pre Plus) would be fine for the network connection.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast