Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #2  
    it took them long enough. between the first product and the suit. I guess they are looking for damages per device.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  2. #3  
    Seems to me like a small keyboard is not much of an innovation. The style of the keys, and some of the operational aspects of the keyboard (I've heard that to capitalize something on a BB you simply hold the key for a split second longer) are more innovative than simply shoving a small keyboard on the PDA. Afterall, there were little pocket organizers with QWERTY keyboards a long time ago, well before I'd ever heard of RIMM or the Internet for th at matter.
  3. #4  
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Seems to me like a small keyboard is not much of an innovation. The style of the keys, and some of the operational aspects of the keyboard (I've heard that to capitalize something on a BB you simply hold the key for a split second longer) are more innovative than simply shoving a small keyboard on the PDA. Afterall, there were little pocket organizers with QWERTY keyboards a long time ago, well before I'd ever heard of RIMM or the Internet for th at matter.
    Quite right. I'm not sure what RIM would be suing over. I think it's just because Handspring is starting to cut into their market share. I've used both a Blackberry and currently use a Treo. The keyboards operate somewhat differently.

    As far as innovation goes, the Treo's integrated numeric keypad is no infringment, nor is the ListType key. These are things that Handspring brought to the table as far as PDAs go. I don't see RIM being that innovative. It's one thing if Handspring copied those aspects from RIM, but they didn't. So what kind of infringment could RIM be talking about?

    Surely, companies aren't going to be able to win a suit based on the fact that a keyboard is being used. If that were allowed, all the laptop makers would be in serious trouble. Anyone that put a QWERTY keyboard on a device would be.

    I think RIM is just sore that someone is competing with them at their own game.
    --Inspector Gadget

    "Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

    Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
  4. #5  
    I've never owned a Blackberry, but I can't see how they are so similiar to warrant a lawsuit.

    "Treo features a small keyboard that can be typed on with one's thumbs, as does RIM's BlackBerry."

    Whooaaa... guess if HS told users to use their pinky, it wouldn't be an infringement

    Geez.. just when HS stock went over $1, do you think this will make it worse? (LOL)

    Okay, I know it's a serious matter, but hopefully it will resolve itself without too much pain to HS.
  5. #6  
    The Treo KB has some spelling and word correcting features. Don't know the blackberry well enough to know if this is something they incorporate.

    I wonder if it's the oval angled shape of the keys? I think Rim's slant one way on one side and the other way on the other though.

    I think it's time we came completely clean and called up Bob Qwerty to tell him that someone other than Smith Corona is using his letter arrangerment.
  6. #7  
    Originally posted by J. Kevin Wolfe
    The Treo KB has some spelling and word correcting features. Don't know the blackberry well enough to know if this is something they incorporate.
    Actually I'd argue that the keyboard DOESN'T contain spelling and word correcting features; it is the software that contains it. I wonder if the lawsuit is over the operation or physical keyboard or both.

    While not integrated into a PDA, the Kensington PocketType <http://www.kensington.com/html/1197.html> has spelling and word correcting features (that can even be used for auto complete) in the software. Come to think of it, I'd like to see some of the stuff that is in their driver in the Treo, for instance, you can edit your auto correct dictionary and if you press and hold a key, it capitalizes it.
  7. #8  
    Thinking about this suit I realized that there are a lot of keyboard add-ons that are advertised as thumbboards and are just like the RIM and Treo....Compaq makes on, Kensington makes one and loads of other ones do.
    Alex.
    Goodbye my lovely Treo
    HELLO TG50
  8. #9  
    Originally posted by sgruby
    Come to think of it, I'd like to see some of the stuff that is in their driver in the Treo, for instance, you can edit your auto correct dictionary and if you press and hold a key, it capitalizes it.
    I'd love to see the latter feature.
  9. #10  
    I use a BlackBerry and have a Treo 270, and the BB keyboard is far superior, except for the lack of backlighting. The editable autocorrect and the hold-for-capitalization feature are excellent and would be great additions to the Treo. It just takes too long to use the Treo's shortcuts; it's faster for me to just type the word. Of course, with this lawsuit, I guess my hopes of seeing the BB functionality someday incorporated into the Treo are dashed. Oh well.
  10. #11  
    Originally posted by EdwardsJ3
    I use a BlackBerry and have a Treo 270, and the BB keyboard is far superior, except for the lack of backlighting. The editable autocorrect and the hold-for-capitalization feature are excellent and would be great additions to the Treo. It just takes too long to use the Treo's shortcuts; it's faster for me to just type the word. Of course, with this lawsuit, I guess my hopes of seeing the BB functionality someday incorporated into the Treo are dashed. Oh well.
    Someone should anonymously write a hack that accomplishes the same things.

Posting Permissions