Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Think Big: Manta
    Think Small: Broadway
    Think Beyond: Topaz
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    you think so? Even android fans are not impressed with 3.0, and state it looks messy, with everything all over the place. To me its the same ole show same type of slab devices, from a dozen different companys, running a different version of android, a minor spec bump here and there, with their diff skin ontop. I think the wow factor from android is gone, and it comes down to now if the competiton can present something that will take away from android all together. Also did anyone see the playbook again in action, even engadget says Palm should sue. Though looking at the UI and how they do it looks like a cheap bad immitation of webos. Its very choppy, non responsive, and very ugly I dont think HP needs to take any legal action if they release a finished webos tablet it will murder that thing.
    Are you looking at hands-on videos and comments on Engadget and Gizmodo? Because the footage and reactions are pretty much the exact opposite of what you describe...
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    I'm not frustrated because I have to wait one more month. I'm frustrated because I've already waited about 9 months past when I would have liked upgraded hardware. Really, I've been frustrated ever since Sprint customers didn't get the option to upgrade to a "plus". And now we have to wait until Feb to find out how much longer we have to wait??

I urged my brother to wait until CES before ditching his Pre, but he gave up on it and bought an Epic. He tells me he doesn't like it, but he just couldn't tolerate the glitchiness of the Pre. :shrug: But if he's even following Pre news any longer, I'm sure he is glad he didn't take my advice, and just went ahead and got a phone he can use.

I couldn't wait any longer. I picked up the new HTC Evo Shift today. It's not a groudbreaking device, but it's doing many things I wish the Pre could do, and it does everything MUCH faster. Hey look I have flash right out of the box! Web browsing over my wifi is lightening fast. Email etc. opens up instantly. I don't think I'll be pining away for my Pre.

WebOs was a great idea, but they lost developer support, and the devices are ancient. I will be watching, and I'd love to use my touchstones again. We'll see what Palm / HP has up their sleeves next year at upgrade time...
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Think Big = The disappointment I may have after the announcement
    Think Small = The amount of gratification the announcment will give me
    Think Beyond = Goin emo and ending up with a droid...

Call me jaded, but I'm not getting my hopes up.... Been sitting on the Pre Minus for way too long, and couple that with Sprint unable to secure any exciting new phones, it makes me QQ... /wrist
    "I will go in this way, but I'll find my own way out." -DMB

Dear Lord,
    Please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over standard TCP/IP.
    Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxion View Post
    Think Big = The disappointment I may have after the announcement
    Think Small = The amount of gratification the announcment will give me
    Think Beyond = Goin emo and ending up with a droid...

Call me jaded, but I'm not getting my hopes up.... Been sitting on the Pre Minus for way too long, and couple that with Sprint unable to secure any exciting new phones, it makes me QQ... /wrist
    well considering HP (most likely) just leaked images of one of its tablets, I assume the smartphone running on sprint is not too far behind it. I too am still with a pre (had a minus and plussed it), but since they did state smartphones first then tablets Im assuming on 2/09 we will get a very nice surprise. Again I dont think someone spends over a billion purchasing a company, and other billions on other technology to support it, to just come out half assed just my opinion.
    Think Big: The check they want you to write for a "tablet"
    Think Small: How useful the "tablet" really is.
    Think Beyond: Looking elsewhere
    Quote Originally Posted by tarpon6 View Post
    I couldn't wait any longer. I picked up the new HTC Evo Shift today. It's not a groudbreaking device, but it's doing many things I wish the Pre could do, and it does everything MUCH faster. Hey look I have flash right out of the box! Web browsing over my wifi is lightening fast. Email etc. opens up instantly. I don't think I'll be pining away for my Pre.

WebOs was a great idea, but they lost developer support, and the devices are ancient. I will be watching, and I'd love to use my touchstones again. We'll see what Palm / HP has up their sleeves next year at upgrade time...
    good luck though I would have opted for either the epic, or Evo but glad you like your phone.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    well considering HP (most likely) just leaked images of one of its tablets, I assume the smartphone running on sprint is not too far behind it. I too am still with a pre (had a minus and plussed it), but since they did state smartphones first then tablets Im assuming on 2/09 we will get a very nice surprise. Again I dont think someone spends over a billion purchasing a company, and other billions on other technology to support it, to just come out half assed just my opinion.
    Well the fact that the tablet is rumored to be on AT&T and VZ doesnt really bolster any confidence of Sprint getting the tablet much less a phone. Maybe it will hit Sprint "in the coming months", but thats not definitive or near soon enough for me. As soon as there is a 4G device (cause anything 3G is just not a smart investment of the extra 10$ I have to pay for data when I finally get a new phone) with a dual core proc regardless of OS... will be my purchase.
    "I will go in this way, but I'll find my own way out." -DMB

Dear Lord,
    Please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over standard TCP/IP.
    Amen.
    Think Big: Topaz tablet available March 1 from all VZ, AT&T & Sprint with Opal available June 1 on Sprint and later on VZ and AT&T

Think Small: 3 new webOS 2.X smartphones; a portrait slider and a landscape slider (or possibly a slab) with best of class specs and a small keyboardless phone with somewhat lower specs

Think Beyond: I'll run with what they're theorizing on the home page, the Palm profile remembers where your at in apps and allows you to pick up where you stopped on a different device. Plus they'll have a specific webOS app for HP ePrint stuff.

Additional things I think possible to see on the 9th:
    1. HP drops 1,000 apps written by HP staff.
    2. HP announces a new app development contest, think hot apps on steroids.
    3. Some kind of app/portal/widget PIM focussed solution to put webOS heads and shoulders above everyone else in terms of PIM.
    4. Announcement of dozens major vendor apps, which HP has helped bring to webOS.
    5. The new standard browser will be a mobile implementation of FireFox and there will be a document editing suite standard on all devices (probably QuickOffice; although, I'd love to see a mobile implementation of OpenOffice).

Gargoyle
    Big - Verizon
    Small - ATT
    Beyond - Orange...
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    Something to be available to consumers within a month of announcement.
    Down with the BourgeoisOS oppressors, webOS users unite!
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Thinking beyond: a large screen tablet that has a flexible screen that can be rolled up into a stuff bag.

Before you laugh, do you want to see a picture and video of the beta version?

HP flexible display unfurled on video -- Engadget
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    Something to be available to consumers within a month of announcement.
    "Think" not "Dream".
    February 9, 2011 - A case study in how not to introduce new products.
    You guys all think only literal. It doesn't always have to come down to screen size...I'm thinking "big" and "small" and "beyond" are more than just literal descriptions of new hardware. They're also ideas...big, overarching concepts and goals...small details that make devices useful and intuitive...ideas beyond hardware and the next device trend. All this talk of big=tablet, small=pixi2 bores me to death. It's the lofty goals and ideas that inspire me and make me excited about the future of the tech.
    So here's what I was thinking.I posted a few replies to some interesting forum topics and I decided to make it a thread for all to share in on.I was thinking about how beautiful and simple WebOS is and the picture Palm and now HP have been painting concerning synergy,,syncing,and the cloud.
    So here is my beyond idea.

Picture WebOS on multiple electronics and appliances.

1.Washing machine
    2.Dryer
    3.Refrigerator
    4.Of course toaster(but I wouldn't buy it)
    5.Dishwasher
    6.Oven
    7.Microwave

All of the above running WebOS being able to sync with each other.Having the ability to control these devices with your phone or tablet.Even better,being able to control every device from all the devices.Turn on your oven from your phone,turn on your washing machine from your refrigerator or dishwasher.This would make a truly automated home and I always hope for something like this. What's your take on this???
    Sounds like pure laziness to me. If I'm putting the clothes in the washer or dryer wouldn't it just be easier while I'm standing there, what would you use it for your refrigerator for? And same with dishwasher. All of my stuff is in the same room with the exception of the washer and dryer. If I'm too lazy to take 3 steps from my microwave to my toaster or 2 steps from my dishwasher to my oven, than that's just plain sad. I think this is a little extreme.
    Those appliances wouldn't need to have webOS to be controlled by a webOS phone any more than Chevrolet would have to build iOS or Android into their cars so they can create iPhone and Droid apps to do a remote start or interface with OnStar. Just sayin
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 01/19/2011 at 10:59 PM.
    <<snarky response deleted>>
    <thread merged>
    http://www.mts-safety.com/images/T/t_606.jpg
    As someone going to school for architecture and software designing whom plans on designing homes for the 21st century and making smarthomes mainstream... Allow me to put in my 2 cents

While this may seem cool in a techie way, this really is pointless and ler me explain why. A touchscreen with a major os such as webos will probably cost anywhere from 200-600 more for the consumer which would make appliances way way more expensive which would add up. Whats the point of having a webos stove and not a fridge? Ect. The benefits would be none? Why? Because, honestly what would i need an advanced os on all my appliances. Now with that said, a digital stove with wifi would be a much more practical form. The arrangment would be a bit more advanced but not to the point of extreme over costing. The goal would be to simplify cooking similar to how new washers simplify washing. This is where yes maybe an advanced os could sound practical but its not cost efficient yet. So heres what one could do. The wifi enabled ovens small screen (not fancy just blue backlit ect screen maybe touch maybe not depends on price) would connect to the internet OR device and be able to allow one to search for cooking instructions ex. Boiling? It will automatically set temps for boil, fry ect based on what you pick there will be simple presets but one can search and add them (NOT from the stove but from a smartphone, tablet or station (get to in a minute) then the stove simply allows for option to use common cooking types such as fry, then chicken and it sets thr timer to ding whrn to flip, and when its done as well as proper temps. This is great for the current generation of people whom know nothing about cooking lol. Also all appliances would be vlice commandable which is what makes it easy to use. A smartphone could use a bar scanner whicb finds the product and sets appropriate times. A fridge could havr oder sensers to detect rotten foods and possibly a scanner which scans things going in and out of the fridge, but that would probably also not be cost efficient yet. All these things would have advanced featueres via smartphone/tablet/station. Whats a station? Basically an either stationary or removable tablet which would be located in the foyerish area and possibly have docks in individual rooms. One could buy more ect. I havenf really worked out the entirety of it yet. My goal is to make a smarthouse mainstream by using advanced technologies and conveniences without adding uneccisary stuff. 1 tablet to control all is better then a bunch of em sattled to applainces. Same as having a touchscreen smarthouse sysytem in every room. Its goota be practical.

>i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive
    And then just wait until your stove crashes and needs to be re-booted while you are boiling the pasta.

I'm already a little concerned that the electronic controls of my current stove will fail. Ergonomically speaking, I liked a dial you set to 425 more than needing to push a whole lot of buttons. And my new stove is okay, but friends just bought a stove that has electronics delicate enough to need their own fan. He said, "you pay all this money to get a quiet dishwasher. It never occurred to me to worry about the stove being noisy. But it's very noisy, and you can't control when the fan goes on and off, because the stove needs to protect itself from the heat."

I expect that we will, ultimately, have "smarter" applicances. But I'm not eagerly awaiting that particular development.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast