Page 9 of 62 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141959 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Anyone that doubts this, I have a challenge for you. Pick 20 people at random (be honest and make sure it's random, you're the only one that's going to know the results anyone). Ask those 20 people what the processor speed is on their phone.

They don't know. They don't care.
    Absolutely. Almost every single female I've ever talked to doesn't know, care, or care to know. Maybe once or twice has anyone actually ever understood what the word "processor" even meant when we talked about phones.
    .....^lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the question. What I am trying to convey is that Palm understands that the timing of this is terrible because most users don't have a reasonable alternative because the Pre2 isn't being offered by US carriers (vzw starts on the 12th) and the new phones won't be available for a while.

At&T users can spend over $400 for an unlocked phone, Verizon users can burn their upgrade on a Pre2 a few months before the good stuff starts to arrive, and Sprint users... have to leave Sprint or dump webOS. And users outside the USA are no better off.

Palm know that. They expressed to me directly that they didn't feel good about this. Several openly expressed that they were pushing for Palm to do something to improve the situation. Palm has tweeted and bogged that they are working on a plan. Personally, I think they need to make the Pre2 (or Veer?) available for a low upgrade price without affecting anyone's renewal date.

So, my point is that the video in the OP implies that Palm is thumbing their nose at current users. Palm is known for good customer service, and they are openly acknowledging a problem they are actively working to solve in a way that will satisfy users.

Assuming they come up with a good plan, the video wont be accurately reflecting Palm's attitude. Does that clarify things for you?
    Sadly, the one thought that kept growing stronger as I read the above is: What is Palm? From the Feb 9 event, it seems as though the name is gone :-( HP needs to give their phone division a new name or go back to using the name that we love.
    Brian
    Will it be worth sticking to HP Web OS? I hope so but need to see the right hardware and software.
    The public is shifting in what they look for concerning phones. I was talking to my cousin who is a salesman at Verizon Wireless, and now that phones are literally computers in your hands, people are asking about the processor speed more and more, and how much memory more and more. He did say that it isn't every customer, but specs are something he is being asked about more and more.

Features and apps are the biggest questions he does it. He also told me that during the Pre Plus launch, they were told specifically to push the Android phones over the Pre Plus. Remember when a few months after Pre Plus came out, precentral reported that Verizon was doing "Pre sales" training...they never got that in his store. Just saying.

Bottom line it is going to be tough for HP. I want them to succeed but their backs are against the wall.
    Joined the android family!
    Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant

Love the marketplace
    Love the REAL support
    Love not being on a CDMA network anymore
    Love the bigger screen, liquid smooth operations
    Love the upwards of 32gb of storage
    Love the swype!
    Love not having a slider phone anymore (no more wobble)

The only thing I miss from my Pre is the "tab" setup to flip between tasks, it isn't as fluid of an operation on an android system

EDIT:
    Just to clarify, I was sick of going through 3 different palm pre's, all with their own technical/mechanical issues, Bell Mobility didn't seem to truly want to support Palm, and neither did Palm itself, maybe things will improve with HP, but I couldn't wait!

but I won't ever look back! Sorry Palm brah's
    There is no need to brag about getting an Android phone. We love the Pre for what it does.

Enjoy your time with Android!
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    go have a beer, eh? And I'm sure we will all go over to the Android forums and post a welcome message for you. Get out of here!
    You know I just never understand the "i'm leaving" posts. Not here, not in any other forum either.

However enjoy your phone..I love my Pre and since it works fine I'm happy with waiting to see if something comes. If it dies before that time I'll have to look to move on to another platform but until then I'm happy.

(virtual beers for everyone - holds out pitcher)
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    see you in six months or so ? =X
    *waits for thread to be merged* *waiting... Waiting..*
    insert *haters gonna hate gif* haha
    Quote Originally Posted by beerbaron105 View Post
    Joined the android family!
    Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant

Love the marketplace
    Love the REAL support
    Love not being on a CDMA network anymore
    Love the bigger screen, liquid smooth operations
    Love the upwards of 32gb of storage
    Love the swype!
    Love not having a slider phone anymore (no more wobble)

The only thing I miss from my Pre is the "tab" setup to flip between tasks, it isn't as fluid of an operation on an android system

EDIT:
    Just to clarify, I was sick of going through 3 different palm pre's, all with their own technical/mechanical issues, Bell Mobility didn't seem to truly want to support Palm, and neither did Palm itself, maybe things will improve with HP, but I couldn't wait!

but I won't ever look back! Sorry Palm brah's
    Keep an eye on Bell Self Service. Data is counted properly on the HSPA side.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by beerbaron105 View Post
    insert *haters gonna hate gif* haha
    ok, go ahead and insert it!
    As u can see from ny sig, I have used Palm devices for over 15 years. No biggie, except that I live in India, where Palm has never had any support or distribution to speak of. I was gifted the Palm V by a friend, bought the Vx in USA, the 180 in Europe, the 650 in Singapore, the 680 in Dubai, and the Pre through a friend in Germany, since this was the only place it was available "unlocked" in the world, one year after its US release. All of them were bought at full retail, without any carrier subsidy.

When I got the Pre, I found I had to hack the "unlocked" phone to make it work. Still could not get the App Catalog, as India does not exist for Palm. Soldiered on, to have hardware failure (screen "phantom touches" issue, for which I had to ship the phone to the UK for repair, and also found that they cannot even ship it back to me, since its a European phone, so its lying with a frend in France right now.

Through all of this, I stuck loyally with Palm, championing their cause to friends who never heard of it - my wife, dad, brother, brother in law all use Palm 680's (and will all need to change soon). Even after I bought the iPhone, which was to go to my wife once I got my Pre back, I still trolled PreCentral almost every day, waiting for the new awesome product/features that were gonna blow everyone away, and bear out my faith in Palm.

Now, combined with the ho-hum ( and not yet available) launches, which will probably never make it to India, and will be carrier locked, and too much of a pain to hack, and have unreliable hardware, the LAST Straw is the news that my Pre minus will not even get the WebOS 2 update.

Also, I now find that I can get everything I used to ony Palm devices even better on iOS. Local sync - check. Unlocked GSM - check. Cutting edge features - check. Dox to Go - check. SplashID - check. Almost everything that mattered to me is not even available on Palm anymore. Also, I can now have Navigation, awesome games, an Ipod iny phone, and an app for almost anything.

So, HPalm, or whatever you are now, goodbye. The no update issue is the final nail, and I will never buy or recommend a Palm device ever again.

And guess what - I am adding HP to that list as well.
    Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Treo 180 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Palm Pre (busted) -> iPhone4 (awesome) + iPad
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Hi all. After I emailed to HP CEO,(#79 on this thread) I received a call from PALM CORPORATE today.
    He said that they have not abandoned us yet! They are still trying hard to give us the 2.0 update.(through webOS Doctor, maybe, he said.) he also said its a hardware issue as we all may be aware... so I am little skeptical how they get over it. But it is good to hear from them to know they are still working on it.

so, Let's cross the fingers!!
    Last edited by yoshivan; 02/15/2011 at 10:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by VikramPune View Post
    As u can see from ny sig, I have used Palm devices for over 15 years.
    That's impressive since the Palm V came out to the rest of the world in 1999. How did you get it in 1996?
    I would like to shine a little stubborn determination and brand loyalty into this otherwise depressing list of folks who just couldn't hold on another day. WebOS is, hands-down, the greatest mobile operating system I've had the pleasure of using. I used to sell Sprint phones and had to learn the features and functions of every phone we carried and their respective OS's. From Android to Blackberry (and all points in between) all of them made me glad to have my Sprint Pre.

I remember the day I heard about the Pre back in February of '09. I emailed an article complete with specs and hands-on reviews to a friend and told him "If I was to design my ideal phone, this is what it would look like." For months I devoured every scrap of information about the phone that I could point my browser to. I knew the phone inside and out by the time launch day arrived. I'd have bought one that day, but I was a month away from having full-upgrade eligibility from Sprint, so I held out just one month more.

I have taken every opportunity from the day I got my Pre until today to herald its merits and abilities to anyone who cared to listen. I couldn't say enough good things about the phone. Never before had a device had such an impact on my life. Even now, I continue to find new ways that my Pre makes my life easier. Asking me to give up my webOS is like asking me to cut off my arms. I simply don't know how I would get along without it.

SO, I've said all this simply to accentuate my final point. My Pre is in its last legs and couldn't possibly last until Sprint and HP get their acts together and put some new webOS devices on my favorite network (if and WHEN that might happen). I simply cannot bring myself to abandon the network I've had for 9+ years or the OS I have come to know and love. Today, in a last-ditch act of defiance and loyalty, I purchased a brand-new, in box Sprint Palm Pre on ebay. It should arrive at my home next week. I will activate the phone and retire my old Pre and see how long we can hang on. I've gotten about a year and a half out of my first Pre, so I'm hoping I'll get at least that out of the new one. I am determined to wait it out and stand by Sprint and webOS. If Sprint can't get some new webOS devices before my new Pre craps out, then I may have to jump ship to whoever has the latest webOS device at that time. I just can't leave yet. I outright refuse to use Android and Blackberries are as user-friendly as a kick in the teeth.

So this is my Thermopylae. My new Pre is my army of 300. How this pans out remains to be seen. Until then, I take my stand amid the sea of reluctant webOS apostates. I remain resolute for just a while longer. Perhaps my determination will be rewarded someday.

Only time will tell.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TPuglisi9451 View Post
    I would like to shine a little stubborn determination and brand loyalty into this otherwise depressing list of folks who just couldn't hold on another day. WebOS is, hands-down, the greatest mobile operating system I've had the pleasure of using. I used to sell Sprint phones and had to learn the features and functions of every phone we carried and their respective OS's. From Android to Blackberry (and all points in between) all of them made me glad to have my Sprint Pre.

I remember the day I heard about the Pre back in February of '09. I emailed an article complete with specs and hands-on reviews to a friend and told him "If I was to design my ideal phone, this is what it would look like." For months I devoured every scrap of information about the phone that I could point my browser to. I knew the phone inside and out by the time launch day arrived. I'd have bought one that day, but I was a month away from having full-upgrade eligibility from Sprint, so I held out just one month more.

I have taken every opportunity from the day I got my Pre until today to herald its merits and abilities to anyone who cared to listen. I couldn't say enough good things about the phone. Never before had a device had such an impact on my life. Even now, I continue to find new ways that my Pre makes my life easier. Asking me to give up my webOS is like asking me to cut off my arms. I simply don't know how I would get along without it.

SO, I've said all this simply to accentuate my final point. My Pre is in its last legs and couldn't possibly last until Sprint and HP get their acts together and put some new webOS devices on my favorite network (if and WHEN that might happen). I simply cannot bring myself to abandon the network I've had for 9+ years or the OS I have come to know and love. Today, in a last-ditch act of defiance and loyalty, I purchased a brand-new, in box Sprint Palm Pre on ebay. It should arrive at my home next week. I will activate the phone and retire my old Pre and see how long we can hang on. I've gotten about a year and a half out of my first Pre, so I'm hoping I'll get at least that out of the new one. I am determined to wait it out and stand by Sprint and webOS. If Sprint can't get some new webOS devices before my new Pre craps out, then I may have to jump ship to whoever has the latest webOS device at that time. I just can't leave yet. I outright refuse to use Android and Blackberries are as user-friendly as a kick in the teeth.

So this is my Thermopylae. My new Pre is my army of 300. How this pans out remains to be seen. Until then, I take my stand amid the sea of reluctant webOS apostates. I remain resolute for just a while longer. Perhaps my determination will be rewarded someday.

Only time will tell.

I encourage you to email this to HP CEO...
    HP Executive Team: CEO email
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I returned my Pre to HP last week after getting another USB crack. When I receive my replacement, this will be my [B]5th[B] Pre in a little over a year. I love the OS but the hardware is frustrating me. My back up phone through all of this has been my Lil' Centro. I spent the better day researching the Shift and looking for apps/patches that would match the functionality of webOS. There are definitely things I will miss. My wife has the original Evo, I can't stand the virtual keyboard and swype makes me look more illiterate than I already am.

I was willing to hold out until Sprint made an announcement about an HP/Palm device but with the SP changing, if I don't get an upgrade before the end of March. I will have to went until Dec for 22 months or May next year for 10 years.

Go ahead, try talking me off this ledge...
    hey if you must, than thats cool.. im in the same boat, but have a few options up my sleeve, hope whatever you decide , you will be happy with.. and maybe we'll see ya back