Page 62 of 62 FirstFirst ... 12 52575859606162
Results 1,221 to 1,235 of 1235
Like Tree168Likes
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Hallo my fellow WebOS people!

I write this post simply as a goodbye to an OS and a community that has been awfully good to me
    other the past several years. Though I still strongly believe that the Pre 3 is the best phone ever made,
    the lack of apps, support and compatibility with WebOS has forced me to give it up. I held onto it for a
    long time, hoping that a miracle would revive this great OS. However, I feel that is getting less and less
    likely. Therefore, I ordred a Nokia Lumia 925 ealier today, and will be switching to it as soon as it arrives.
    Honestly I'm affraid that I will be dissapointed with Windows Phone, after being so happy with WebOS,
    but it just has a much brighter future ahead of it.

Therefore, I feel forced to leave a phone, and an OS, that I really love. It is just much more fun to have a
    Pre 3 than a Lumia 925, but I don't see that I have any choice at this point. Should new hardware come out,
    and Open WebOS succeed, be assured that I will be back right away!

But for now, I'd like to say goodbye, and thank you for the kind help I've gotten from all the wonderful
    and helpful people on the forum. It has truly been a great pleasure to come here to give and receive advice
    on devices that was hard to find help for anywhere else.

Thank you all, I hope to be back with more stupid questions regarding a fantastic new WebOS-device shortly

Best Regards
    Kim
    I don't think anyone here really leaves wantingly but make the tough choice of getting better hardware and access to the apps. Good luck with your new device. One thing tho - why not go to android where? The app situation at windows phone is night and day better than webos but still not to the level of iphone/android, so why put yourself in another webos situation (about the lack of apps), although a lot smaller in scale.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    i feel your pain... i traded my palm pre+ on at&t for a lumia 920... while i do find myself using the Lumia as a smart phone should be used... i still find myself missing some of the gestures, swiping, and multitasking that flowed so well on the palm phones...
    Palm IV > Palm Treo 600 > Palm Centro > Palm Pre Plus > Nokia Lumia 920
    Unfortunately, the time has come for me to say goodbye. My loved Veer started shutting off occasionally when opening the slider a few weeks ago and it happens more often each day. Trying to find and fix the issue was unsuccessful and I just cannot continue to call people back after the 3 minutes something bootup time with an excuse for not answering their call directly. I still have a Pre3 that I could use instead, but honestly I got pretty tired of constantly fixing issues with our long-abandoned OS among all the unfixable issues the OS has because it's just out of date.

It's been fantastic 6+ years. Had my Pre(-) since few days after its release here in germany, later imported a Pre2 from the UK. Then got a Pre3 and Touchpad in the firesale and a Veer not long after. I loved listening to the precentral podcasts in the beginning of our webOS journey, I loved following the community on this fantastic forum and I want to thank all dedicated developers for all their work, especially those who held out up until now (special thanks to Grabber! for all your work on forums app etc.) and all those who are involved in LuneOS development. I'll keep an eye on it's future releases and who knows, I might come back some time. Wouldn't be the first one.
    It's been a great ride that I'll keep in good memory for as long as my memory works. Thank you all and goodbye.

Btw, if anybody wonders what I am using now: got a BB Q10 in near mint condition for less than 100 bucks. Played around with it in the last couple of days and so far I'm really impressed. Yeah, I know it's pretty much a dead system aswell, but I was able to hold on to webOS on a Veer up until now and there's just nothing on the current smartphone market that interests me. Here's hoping the Q10 works for the next couple of years until there is more to choose from than humongous slabphones running either Android or iOS!
    Preemptive likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by DocJones View Post
    Unfortunately, the time has come for me to say goodbye.
    Good luck. If a modern webOS is what you're hoping for, my guess is that LuneOS should turn out to be that, so maybe we will see you again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimboo View Post
    [...] I held onto it for a
    long time, hoping that a miracle would revive this great OS. However, I feel that is getting less and less
    likely. Therefore, I ordred a Nokia Lumia 925 ealier today, and will be switching to it as soon as it arrives.
    Honestly I'm affraid that I will be dissapointed with Windows Phone, after being so happy with WebOS,
    but it just has a much brighter future ahead of it.
    That part is understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimboo View Post
    Therefore, I feel forced to leave a phone, and an OS, that I really love. It is just much more fun to have a
    Pre 3 than a Lumia 925, but I don't see that I have any choice at this point. Should new hardware come out,
    and Open WebOS succeed, be assured that I will be back right away!
    But your conclusion is confusing to me. ;-)

You leave a dead platform for a another platform that's on it's deathbed?
    WP has almost no market share and the little bit it does have is shrinking fast.

MS hopes that the Surface line of tablets keeps its interests in the mobile market alive - but on phones they are hardly even trying atm. They have already written off their investments in Nokias former phone business.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    yeh... ms managed to do to nokia what hp did to palm
    Quote Originally Posted by mazzinia View Post
    yeh... ms managed to do to nokia what hp did to palm
    At least MS tried to succeed first.
    petbull and HelloNNNewman like this.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    They tried to promote their OS, of course, but Nokia was damned no matter what the outcome would be. MS gutted Nokia for its well recognized brand name (on mobile market, that is) and decent hardware for a system that no one else was interested in at the time, killing Nokia's own great OS. Sure, Nokia was wounded heavily at the moment, but still had much more resources and recognition than Palm, and their last model (N9 that is) for months was selling better than all Lumias combined, despite having no promotion at all, being officially EOLed before hitting market, never released to some markets, like US, Canada, Germany, Japan and overpriced So, I see MS-Nokia relationship more as wasp-caterpillar one - even if something flying comes out of it, it would be some stinging SoB instead of butterfly

BTW, Meego and WebOS have another thing in common: Blackberry's interfaces were, let's say, heavily influenced by them (BB10 and Playbook OS, respectively)
    T5, CliƩ NZ90, Treo 650, Centro, Pre, Pre+, Pre 2, Pre 2, Pre2, Nexus7@LuneOS
    I am about to buy another pre2 on ebay having cracked the screen on my current one. I have an andorid phone for web browsing but I can't find anything that can suffice as a replacement for my pre2 as a "phone" and texting machine.

I went to tmobile to check out the BB priv and I hated it. It had all the requirements I was looking for: wireless charging, hardware with a slider keyboard and the charging port on the bottom and turned the same way as palm pre so that I could use my favorite (palm) usb charger. The proper version of android (unlike samsung phones) which allows me to swipe up directly into browser search.

But I didn't like the looks and feel of it. It has the screen curved on the edges like the samsung edge phones and the keyboard wasn't doing it for me. Way too flat, no space between the keys so that I can't see myself touch typing with that thing.

So it seems I am going to have to continue to have 2 phones, pre2 as my main phone and something else for browsing and general compatibility

Edit: And I miss my mirror. Priv has ugly rails with the slider open. Pre series phones are the best ever made in my opinion
    Someone in the Pre team had some real design skills. It's one of the most unique phones ever made and still to this day nothing comes close to duplicating it.

If they had continued to evolve the design imagine what we'd have now.
    Sporting my 13th Pre device, a NOS unlocked ROW Pre3!
    I love little things like the mirror on the back of the Pre/Veer phones. It's so useful and I don't understand why no one else has copied it. It makes me wonder what happened to the team that designed the Palm hardware. Even something as "simple" as the TouchPad Go is much more elegant and comfortable to hold than today's tablets.
    Devices: Pre3 16GB (AT&T - webOS 2.2.4) | White TouchPad 4G 32GB (AT&T - webOS 3.0.5 + LunaCE)
    Mutoidi likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I went to tmobile to check out the BB priv and I hated it. It had all the requirements I was looking for: wireless charging, hardware with a slider keyboard and the charging port on the bottom and turned the same way as palm pre so that I could use my favorite (palm) usb charger. The proper version of android (unlike samsung phones) which allows me to swipe up directly into browser search.

But I didn't like the looks and feel of it. It has the screen curved on the edges like the samsung edge phones and the keyboard wasn't doing it for me. Way too flat, no space between the keys so that I can't see myself touch typing with that thing.
    Did T-Mobile have a functional unit on display? I've seen the Priv dummy units in a lot of stores in Canada, but never a functional model. The keyboard on the dummy unit feels horrible -- there's very little depth of travel -- and the back of the phone is not rigid. It flexes.

If you saw a functional unit, is it the same?
    IIIxe | z22 | Pre 3 | Bold 9900 | Q10 | Nexus 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuswap View Post
    Did T-Mobile have a functional unit on display? I've seen the Priv dummy units in a lot of stores in Canada, but never a functional model. The keyboard on the dummy unit feels horrible -- there's very little depth of travel -- and the back of the phone is not rigid. It flexes.

If you saw a functional unit, is it the same?
    Yeah it was working. Mind you it had the anit-theft thing attached to it so I couldn't give the keyboard a good test, but you are right, it felt more like a virtual keyboard to me.
    My Pre3 keeps chugging along but I do wonder how much longer it will go. Losing FB (notifications) and Spotify were body blows but I'm still holding on. I, too, have been tempted by the Priv but it just seems way too big. My latest temptation is the iPhone SE but I just can't imagine having a phone w/o a real keyboard (Treo 600 >650>755>Pre>Pre2>Pre3). Android is such a mess. At least iOS has something that seems to resemble order and integration but it still looks like such a step backward.

Sigh.