Page 61 of 62 FirstFirst ... 115156575859606162 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1235
Like Tree168Likes
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Well... I think it is about time that I retire my frankenpre ...

Life was good for a long time, I got the original pre release day on sprint, and eventually butchered my pre to make this frankenpre. Now, I believe, it may be time to retire my good friend.

With the Samsung Galaxy S4 releasing later this month, I think my pre will finally get some well deserved rest.

Should I be sad or happy? I don't know. It will be nice to be on modern hardware... It will be sad leaving webOS and a physical keyboard...
    Dear old friend,

I miss you Palm and webOS... It's been a almost a year since I have used you, but I still think of you and remember the good times. If only you accepted my 4g lte microsim card... (if anyone knows how to do this, please let me know).

Our journey started with the classic treo 600. You hung on for dear life until AT&T finally picked up a new Palm version, the treo 680, despite all the complaints I would get about how my reception was terrible. Treo 680, you traveled the world with me, translated for me, and made me that guy that doesn't shut up about his stupid smartphone before people had smartphones. If only you PalmOS versions had wifi... I still loved you, but shelved you the day the Palm Pre+ arrived with AT&T unless I needed trusty Pleco to translate. Pre+, oh how I loved webOS. You were so smooth and wonderful. I miss so much about you. I'm not unhappy with my GS3, but it's just not the same.

Well, I guess it was better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all. I hope we will meet again someday.

Sincerely,
    Incomplete
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheonix28 View Post
    Well... I think it is about time that I retire my frankenpre ...

Life was good for a long time, I got the original pre release day on sprint, and eventually butchered my pre to make this frankenpre. Now, I believe, it may be time to retire my good friend.

With the Samsung Galaxy S4 releasing later this month, I think my pre will finally get some well deserved rest.

Should I be sad or happy? I don't know. It will be nice to be on modern hardware... It will be sad leaving webOS and a physical keyboard...
    Also a day one Sprint Pre user who went the Franken Pre2 route a few months ago. After reading a few HTC One reviews recently I decided to pre-order it. Looking forward to having new hardware, more and updated apps, modern browser, twitter, and email client. Plus it looks like a super hot device. I will miss webOS for its intuitive interface and multitasking.
    Uhm, we do have a modern Twitter client: Project Macaw. And upcoming is Sprw in Enyo 2 for webOS phones.
    Also, we almost have a modern browser for webOS phones thanks to my project.

I understand your arguments but 2 of them are flawed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Uhm, we do have a modern Twitter client: Project Macaw. And upcoming is Sprw in Enyo 2 for webOS phones.
    Also, we almost have a modern browser for webOS phones thanks to my project.

I understand your arguments but 2 of them are flawed.
    I was referencing the stock browser experience. Also I was a big Carbon fan and I dont like Project Macaw as it is today. Basically I was just listing some items that helped me decide to leave. There are more and im looking at it as a learning experience (moving to android).
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    Also a day one Sprint Pre user who went the Franken Pre2 route a few months ago. After reading a few HTC One reviews recently I decided to pre-order it. Looking forward to having new hardware, more and updated apps, modern browser, twitter, and email client. Plus it looks like a super hot device. I will miss webOS for its intuitive interface and multitasking.
    It wasn't an easy decision, at least I've got a few more weeks to enjoy my phone.
    I finally gave in and got a Gnex after I discovered that I could not make purchases from either the O'Reilly Books or USENIX websites on a webOS device. I'm sorry, but I need a working browser on at least ONE of the devices I carry around with me. But I must say that if Jelly Bean didn't have as much of the webOS UI as it does, I would be very unhappy. (thank you, Mathias!)

I do still have both my TouchPad and Pre2 in use because of some apps that are still the best I've found: wIRC rocks, minego's Solitaire Universe remains my favorite set of card games and there's no equivalent to ComicsHD (which surprised me). There's also SecuStore, which the dev has ported to anything with a properly working Enyo framework, which does not include Android-- and there's no "export to csv" function. So it goes.
    I thought there was a SecuStore 2.0 that used Enyo 2 and was available widely?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  9.    #1209  
    <posts moved/merged>
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    There is. For everything but Android. I even installed Chrome on my Fedora laptop just so I could install SecuStore on it hoping to find an export to csv option. I should live so long :P
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Not that I know of. Hell, he even dropped the Mac version of SecuStore from the app store let alone that he'd port it to Enyo 2 (that I've never read nor seen). If there really is, can you please point me to the Enyo 2 version for webOS?
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    You will have to forgive my rambling style - I just had to get it all down...
    Well - the day has finally come. I have to move on. My Sprint FranknPre2 has slowly been slipping into that ether of obsolete electronics. My beloved Pre- having long ago gone silent to give up its guts so another could live on the Sprint network. I know a new battery and a Dr could buy me some more time but I would just be putting off the inevitable.
    I got iPhones for my parents a few years ago - the fact that they managed to grasp the knowledge needed to operate them ensured that I would not go that route. I do have an iPad (I won it in a drawing) and I do like it for what it is. I went in whole hog with the Touch Pad - Launch Day customer - $700 for the kit - this was it - I was part of something that was going to be BIG! I preached - Lord did I preach - convincing my friends - "get the Touch Pad on Woot! - it is a bargain!" - little did I know. I ended up with three Touch Pads after the fire sale - I gave them away to family members. I have one left - it sits on my desk at work and serves mostly as a clock and appointment calendar.
    Android - IDK - I tried it on a friends phone. It is all so confusing - Key Lime, Ice Cream, Jellybean - multiple app stores - I am sure I could join in - I just don't want to. The new HTC ONE really tempted me - slick and fast and golly - it sure is big. The ONE got me thinking about the future - how my Pre2 was going to cope and I realized I had to start looking elsewhere.
    In the end I decided on the Windows phone. Not only that - I am leaving Sprint - going pre-paid all the way now. As my parents contracts come up, I will migrate them to pre-paid and ditch the $170 month phone bill with the frikken $10 data tax to a $88 total bill. I got the Nokia 521 at WalMart and so far the TMob network is working out for me. I know it is not the BEST 4G - but just about anything is faster than the Pre2 at this point. Relevant apps are also welcome - I know the WP does not have the breadth of apps of the other ecosystems but it does have a lot that I want now and the offerings are growing everyday. I managed to migrate all my contacts over - ##66...# indeed - I am still learning something new about webOS everyday.
    Still - I wonder why things are done a certain way - why can't I kill apps as easy as swiping them off the screen - why do I have to go through two or three steps when WebOS has proved that you can do it in one? Where the hell are the notifications going - blink, buzz, open - I have NO idea what's going on - the tiles all jitter about - so which one needs attention first? It does play nice with my Xbox and my Chevy Cruze - the BT works ALL the time, not just when it wants to. My 2 year old Pre2 looks shabby sitting next to the spanking new Nokia.
    I hung in there as long as I could - even considered a Pre3. I love WebOS - I am not kidding - the hardware could have been better but you take what you can get. I really wish it could be a viable option but I fear it is time for most of us to set it aside. I know there will be others who will carry the torch and maybe something can be done that allows WebOS to survive.
    I will pull the battery out at the stroke of midnight May 31st - maybe it will be raining...
    Reflecting back to my excitement in 2009 when I got my Pre- on Sprint... it was so neat to be transitioning from my Sanyo SCP 8400 which I considered at the time to be a pretty powerful little phone, to a full blown smart phone.

I was instantly sold on the WebOS interface. I bought in with the understanding that it was a new OS and as with anything first generation there would be bugs, and understood they would be worked out over time with new software updates. No big deal. Indeed, for a while, I found myself checking my phone every day hoping to get that note that an update was available. Early on they were coming pretty frequently. Talk about exciting! It was like Christmas every couple weeks to me.

Initially overall, my phone held up fairly well for a while, until my newborn son became interested in it. It wasn't too long after that, with some temper tantrums, and the phone being flung across the room a couple times, that I got some cracked edges and sort of jacked up slider. But still, overall it worked. Then in mid 2010 the USB charge port came loose and completely came out. I fixed that by buying a Touchstone which was awesome. Don't know why I didn't get one to begin with.

FF to summer of 2011 and I had a business trip coming up to Los Angeles. While not my first time there, I do rely on the GPS to get me around and I was really scared to go out there with the Pre-. I was up for contract renewal and so I made the painful decision to go with an HTC EVO 3D, as at the time, it was the best thing at a decent price I could find.

Well I used that phone up until about 2 weeks ago. Since March 2013 our Sprint service has continually gotten worse where we live, and after several calls to Customer Service, we were told that the towers in our area were operating at 75-85% power. They should be at 95%+ power to achieve best signal strength. Finally we had had enough of all the dropped calls/no calls even connecting/switched connections/no service and cut our losses and moved to Verizon.

So what did I get on Verizon? I got an iPhone5.

It took me about 3 weeks to convince myself to go with this phone. I had been so hard set against Apple since 2009. But, now that I've been here a little while, I'm kind of wishing I had made this jump sooner instead of doing the Android thing. Don't get me wrong, there is definitely some weirdness in iOS.... like having to push the Home button to do everything.. or not having numbers at the top of the keypad... that I'm still not use to... but in the end I think the best way I can describe the experience is how my best friend described it to me, "it just works".

Indeed, it just works. It's fluid. It's smooth. It's stable. That has been my experience with iOS for the past few weeks.

WebOS was certainly cool and novel. But, it sort of worked in a choppy and sluggish way. If Palm had been able to iron out the sluggishness that would have gone a long way I think. Of course, along with some better hardware, which they kind of rectified with later devices.

Having used WebOS for about 2 years, Android for about 2 years, and now iOS for a few weeks, I can see how none of them are perfect, but I'm now understanding exactly why Apple has become the force in Mobile Phones. Samsung is doing a great job with the Galaxy series too, but personally I just could not get used to the blue-ish tint their S series screens have.

As far as apps and all that, my contention for me is, I'm not into apps really. I use the device for the internets, texting, email and calendars 95% of the time. Sure I play words with friends, or angry birds etc but that's about it. Although, I will say, I am a musician and did download garage band on my iPhone and it's pretty neat to be able to lay down some ideas anywhere at anytime with rather decent sounding instruments.

In closing, the longer it takes for WebOS to get back in the game, the harder it is going to be for them to make a real go of it, I think.

Would I buy a new WebOS phone if LG makes one? If you had asked me that about 3 weeks ago, I would have answered absolutely.

But now that I have an iPhone, it has actually made me rethink my stance of even coming back to WebOS for a phone. It even hurts me a little as I type that...
    Seems like you left webos years ago, should have said good bye then. Good luck anyways
  15.    #1215  
    LOL... no offense but you've been off of webOS devices for basically 2 years and you suddenly felt compelled to make this post? Ok....
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I just sold my 32GB TP, bt keyboard, and touchstone on craigslist for $135.

Next up is my trusty Panda Veer, currently running on StraightTalk.

After 2 years on the Pre-, I went to the Motorola Triumph on Virgin Mobile for about a year. But I missed webOS, so I got the Veer.

But this time, I'm leaving for good. My wife just got a new Kindle and gave me her old Acer A500 tablet. Will be ordering a LG Nexus 4 off the Google Play store.

It was fun while it lasted. And then it was still kinda fun for like 2 extra years! But it's (probably past) time to move on.
  17.    #1217  
    <post moved and merged>
    I have totally given up. My wife still has her Veer. One daughter has a Veer and the other a Pre Plus. But I, the pied piper of WebOs in my family, am getting a Galaxy S4. My daughters think I am a traitor, but I use mine for work and took a new job where I need to use the newest apps to keep current with market trends. My Pre 2 is in fair shape. Proximity sensor doesn't work. The "e", "s", "o" and "p" keys either don't work or require extra heavy pressure to register. The "p" gets stuck. Other than that, its fine .

I will be coming back to this site to troubleshoot for the three WebOS phones we still have, but I expect they will be moving away soon too. They like me as tech support, so I bet they will want a Galaxy as well. Funny thing is I really liked the Nokia Lumia 928, but my company would not say whether it was an approved phone. Probably because of the app deficiency. It is a nice phone, despite the squarishness. I think I would steer them in that direction.

I don't think anyone will ever incorporate WebOS in the way we want for future commercial applications.

Thanks for the memories guys! Good luck as you go your own ways.
    Palm III>Palm IIIC>Treo 650>Treo 750>Palm Pre>TouchPad & Pre 2 Galaxy S4 & iPad 4 32GB
    There's something most haven't thought of and that is support for the device. If it ain't got 50 billion apps people don't want it even though they will never usemore than a handful anyway. Think about how it was when WebOS had Palm & Hp behind it, it still lacked really popular apps. WebOS is just something for the geek/nerd crowd to play with end users (like me) will move on.
  20.    #1220  
    <posts moved>