Page 60 of 62 FirstFirst ... 10505556575859606162 LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 1235
Like Tree168Likes
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Hello all,
    I only joined webOS Nation a few months ago, but I have had a Palm Device since the Pilot 5000. I have had a launch day Pre-, a Pre+, Pre 2 (Both FrankenPres), and the TouchPad. I recently was given an iPad mini and iPhone 5 for my 20th Birthday, and I have to say I didn't want to replace my Sprint Pre2 as my work phone (4S is my primary cell), but it was dying. I will still be here, and I'll still use all of my devices, just not as often. I guess this is not goodbye, just that my Palms are not going to be my primary devices anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by KMOU View Post
    I had hoped this day would never come but with the advent of the aptly named "Apothekalypse" (kudos to fatluvr_98 for that) I knew down deep that it would be inevitable. So today is the day I finally, and regretfully, leave PalmNation. I go all the way back to the earliest Palm Pilots, and worked my way through the Treo 755p, Pre, and Pre+ so I do this reluctantly and only because the webOS operating system, which I thought was not only elegant but also straightforward and ideal for mobile use, has all but been abandoned through no fault of any of the good folks who labored over it for so many years.

So where to go from here? Regrettably, the tech universe has devolved into three warring evil empires: The Forbidden Fruit Empire, the Empire of Goo, and Microsoftieland. So what to do? First of all, there's just no freaking way I will ever be assimilated by the Forbidden Fruit and I resent all of the subtle and not-so-subtle invasions of personal privacy the Goo people see as their inalienable right. (I won't even mention the notorious security holes in the AndroidOS). That leaves the Microsofties which, while not angelic, are at least less evil than the others, IMO. I pick up my Windows 8 Phone later today. At least it should be able to sync with my (HP) Windows PC and my Surface RT. Wish me luck.

My Pre+ will not be shot, burned, thrown in the trash, or dishonored in any way. It will simply be retired. It served me well for over three years and It has finally earned a rest.

All the best to those who remain,
    I felt the same way when I sadly had to finally lay to rest my Palm/WebOS obsession . . I didnt want to be one of the Apple Sheep and I also didnt want to be a brainwashed Android . . Not every company is as perfect as Palm/WebOS for my needs but it seemed at the time of my necessity, Microsoft was the only real viable option when it came to innovation in their OS and also the ease of use . . The King is Dead . . Long Live WebOS !
    It's with heavy heart that I regret to say, but,
    I have to move on from Chevy.
    My family has drove chevys from way back in the 50's.
    But I just can't take the unreliability of American made cars anymore.
    Seriously though, I just don't get it.
    Who cares why I'm changing the car I drive?
    Maybe I've been a member of a Chevy forum for years, and now I drive Honda.
    Should I make a big stink over in those Chevy forums?
    Should I continue to log in there to post why I think Chevy isn't as reliable as Honda?
    A front page article gets posted there. Should I post how I think everybody who's sticking with Chevy are sad by not facing reality?
    I just don't get all the drama that revolves around an electronic device.

We don't do this with our appliances.
    We don't do this with food.
    I can't think of anything else that makes people act this way.
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    I can't think of anything else that makes people act this way.
    fasion/clothing?
    men/women relationships?
    as u said, cars?
    football/sports teams?
    people relocating to another country?

theres a lot tbh.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    There's politics. There's religion. There's nationalism.
    But an electronic device?
    Just call me Berd.
    only takes 2 opposing sides, the 3 you chose being prime suspects, at least here we only talk about stuff, in some of the above examples, fighting/death are the results.

/end grim but real outlook
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Good points.
    Divisive forces.
    Some silly. Some are plain stupid.
    Just call me Berd.
    geekpeter likes this.
    It's with heavy heart that I regret to say, but,
    I have to move on from Chevy.
    My family has drove chevys from way back in the 50's.
    But I just can't take the unreliability of American made cars anymore.
    You would need to pick a discontinued line like Oldsmobile or Plymouth to have a closer analogy.
    Quote Originally Posted by rnld View Post
    You would need to pick a discontinued line like Oldsmobile or Plymouth to have a closer analogy.
    Berd's analogy wasn't specific to webOS users switching to a different OS. It was more about mobile devices in general.

Man, you just love jumping on people whenever you possibly can, don't you?
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Berd's analogy wasn't specific to webOS users switching to a different OS. It was more about mobile devices in general.

Man, you just love jumping on people whenever you possibly can, don't you?
    Not at all. I just like to keep perspective. Why so defensive?
    It's amazing to see people switch to a different OS but still hang out here to spout doom and gloom talk and jump on anyone who has a nice thing to say. It's almost as if their preferred mobile OS defines them as a person and they feel the need to excessively defend it while bashing the others. I'm glad I have more important things in my life than my phone.
    I still use WebOS as my daily driver and it's my only mobile phone. I don't own a tablet.
    Not at all. I just like to keep perspective.
    Well... "keep perspective" is an interesting way to put it.

I still use WebOS as my daily driver and it's my only mobile phone. I don't own a tablet.
    My post wasn't directed at you.
    Keep in mind the title of this thread. Complaints, venting, farewell. It would be difficult to see this as a rah rah rah thread.

Of course, there could be complaints about the tenor of the forum of a discontinued product that was just delivered some bad news. There are going to be emotions.
    Keep in mind the title of this thread. Complaints, venting, farewell..
    I'm aware of that. My post was more about mobile OS fanaticism in general.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I'm aware of that. My post was more about mobile OS fanaticism in general.
    It's fascinating to me and much of the reason I read the forum still today. I came as a Treo user stayed for WebOs and watched the sides, anger and defeatism grow.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    I don't think it's surprising at all - these little slabs of technology & touchscreens are very personal - they now contain our contacts, pictures, videos, music, emails, texts - all the things that make us, US!

And, when they work as intuitively as webOS does/did, I can see exactly why the decision to move on can be so emotional.

Also, human beings, being social creatures feel the need to express themselves, and share their feelings - and this place exists for that very reason - to share info and express our opinions and feelings.

I know I'm not alone when I say, I absolutely LOVED webOS, (and it WAS personal!) :-) I hung on as long as I possibly could, but, in the end, I had to get a device that worked and was supported.

That was almost 2 years ago, but, I still lurk here, and read (with much empathy), the "farewell thread" and continue to hope and wish for the day webOS either returns on new hardware, or it's best features copied to the Android platform. i.e. - "Google Now" looks a lot like webOS "cards" :-) thanks Matias!

Sent from my MB855 (Motorola Photon), using Tapatalk 2
    OK, not quite there yet, but wanted a place for all of us to say goodbye when the time came. As you can see, my official join date was back in 2003, but I had been a lurker/visitor even before that. Looks like i will make it a decade on these forums, if only barely.

So this thread is for your last Palm/Treo/Pre/WebOS/HP/LG post whenever that might be. Be sure to tell a bit about your history here and with you device(s) before you go.

As for me, I had a Palm Pilot and a Visor. Joined here when I got my Treo 300. Still using my dual-booting Firesale Touchpad and its still a great device.

This has been a great place to hang out over the years. Having moved on to other devices (currently Samsung Note 2), I have to say there are -- and have been -- NO communities like this one. So much help, so much knowledge, so much passion. No device has anything like has been seen here.

Ah well, plenty of other threads talk about what went wrong. This is to thank the mods, the hosts and the community for all that has gone right. Hopefully there will be a device someday that will revive the Zen of Palm whatever the OS is called and we will find ourselves together again

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdytOGnUFoI[/YT]
    I do understand the sentiment for this farewell thread, and judging from the views, it is one of the most popular threads on these forums

While I no longer use any webOS phone devices as my primary, save the touch pad once in a while... I do pick up my pre plus and pre2 periodically and memories come gushing back.

So why the "emotions" towards this electronic gadget? Well, we've spend so much time pushing for Palm and hp to advance the platform, trying to convince others to buy into it, modifying it, encouraging devs to make apps for us, fighting with carriers to release OS updates and fix lingering issues like gps with verizon... Communicating with devs directly. Swiping left and right on our phones which becomes a habit. Coming to these forums to get advice, check for latest webOS news and rumors, offer tips, fight with trouls. List goes on and on.

Not to mention that this is still a phone... Our primary communication with the outside world.

A pda, our primary means of organizing our contacts, accessing our calender, setting up our tasks for the day,
    Jotting down memos.

A Web browsing device with some app support mixed in, to check movie show times, look up an address, purchase music., etc

A music, podcast, video media consumption device

A camera, the first device many reach to to catch a glimpse of some important event in our lives.

The things that separated webOS apart were this website and these forums and the homebrew crew and the few loyal devs . In other words the community

How many times do you look at or touch your smartphone daily? For me, the number is too high to count.

Does anyone have this much interaction and contact with their car? Or any other electronic device? Nope. That's why, there is "emotion" towards palm and webOS.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX, but webOS is always in me...
    berdinkerdickle likes this.
    Well my android move was less than stellar, in fact the experience I had was similar to everyone else who have android phones. They are great at first but after time suffer from lag, bugs, freezes etc. Being a Mac user who once used windows like the masses was frustrated with the experience. When I switched to a Mac I was never more happier. Android for the mobile world has become what windows is in the pc world; the dominant product in the market but certainly does not offer the best hardware and software experience. When Palm introduced the Pre and Pixi I immediately felt like it was a awesome combo because just like Apple they made the hardware and software to make sure there was cohesion. Sadly we all know that ship sailed and sank and those of us that are left and loyal are in life boats that have leaks in them and it won't be long before we drown. After my horrible android experience and not wanting to shell out out $400-$600 on a new iPhone or even last generation used iPhones are pricey, and for good reason. I bought a iPhone 3GS on eBay brand new under $200 dollars, and I am so happy. Specs don't mean a thing. Supposedly it only has a 600 MHz processor but it runs smoother, faster and more efficiently than the 1.5 MHz android phone I had. It has a 3 megapixel camera no flash but I swear the pictures come out better than the higher resolution 5 megapixel camera with flash than the android phone that had a flash where all my pics came out with a yellow tint and way to dark. The battery is excellent, with moderate to heavy use I have plenty of juice left by the end of the day and a quick 20 minute charge almost fills the battery up. Can't say that about any android phone I've used or any of the people I know who have an android and complain about poor battery and carry their chargers everywhere they go. So if you are in a webos lifeboat and ready to get out my advice is to check out ebay and look at the iPhone 3GS and higher if you can afford it, I don't think you will be disappointed.