webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Nation Community >  General News & Discussion > Official: General Palm (HP/Palm) Complaints / Venting / Farewell Thread
Official: General Palm (HP/Palm) Complaints / Venting / Farewell Thread
Like Tree159Likes

Old 02/10/2013, 05:55 AM   #1161 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
Yeah, doc nailed it. You're taking the opportunity to switch, which is of course your option. I recently spent time pondering the same, but opted to go from Pre 2 to Pre 3 after much nerdy deliberation.

Personally I think BB10 looks like a hot mess now, though I completely agree they've been ripping from webOS since the Playbook came out. The Hub stuff is a good idea, but from what I read, the implementation is atrocious if you get more than a few messages per day.

Is it really so bad to just snag another Pre 3? Heck, I picked one up off craigslist for like $150 with no strings and others have done better. The cost of doing anything else will likely entail greater hardware costs and contracts.

That all said, yeah... I understand wanting to have active support again. There's still a little left for webOS on proper webOS devices. It's really the hardware+software combo that was fantastic. A pity they're feeling divorced at the moment.

But if you want to jump then yep, all there is to do is extract any Palm Profile data and convert it to whatever PIM's best for your next platform. And if you think to, please come back and post your migration experience somewhere. It's always a helpful read!
In the US of A, stuff is cheap. If I get another Pre 3, it'll cost me at least 250 AUD. Not to mention I've pretty much not used any apps for the Pre 3 as I can't purchase any in Australia.

At 1/3 the max price of a Z10 down under (pre orders for the Z10 are out), it seems a no brainer. The pre 3 is nearly 2 years old now and getting a new one doesn't make sense. (Can't be moving backward technologically) I don't intend to be on a contract for the Z10 though. I'll purchase outright and then get a cheap standalone plan. I might be shuttling between countries so I'll need an unlocked phone.

I'll be back when I do the migration. It'll mostly be contacts I believe.
Fatfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2013, 08:38 AM   #1162 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Am I the only one who thinks BB10 resembles MeeGo and Sailfish OS rather than webOS? O.o

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2013, 09:10 AM   #1163 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Am I the only one who thinks BB10 resembles MeeGo and Sailfish OS rather than webOS? O.o

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Except for the up gesture, can't think of much else. Have to see it in person to know exactly
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/10/2013, 11:49 AM   #1164 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Well, just like MeeGo and Sailfish OS, BB10 uses little cards with an 'X' button on a page in a grid and you get to that grid by pushing it up from the bottom up (not like webOS where you flick it up), just like MeeGo you swipe sideways to get to all your apps, just like MeeGo you swipe down to close an app while in an app, just like Sailfish OS you get a menu with additional stuff you can do inside an app by pulling the app down.

The only thing that reminds me of webOS is BBM with that sliding pane but that is more of a copy from Enyo so...
Old 02/16/2013, 09:23 AM   #1165 (permalink)

I was one of the lucky people to pick up a Surface Pro 128 on launch day. I thought I would just use the Pro as a business tablet and keep using my Touchpads as my regular home/entertainment tablets. One of my main concerns with the Pro was the reported battery life. I am starting to believe that most of the tech blogs were paid off by Apple to give the Pro negative reviews, because most of what they said in the reviews were outright lies. My Pro's battery lasts all day, it hasn't run out on me yet. My busiest day using it, it still had 25% battery after 13 hours of use.

So the point is, my 32Gb touchpad is now gathering dust and I think I have touched my 64 twice since buying the Surface. The 32 is just painfully slow to me now (amazing how quickly you get accustomed to speed - and the Pro is FAST). It is a sad time for me. I love WebOS and wish I could see it operate on this hardware (remember the days of WebOS on PCs of the future).

Keep an eye on the market. I suspect I will be listing my 32 soon. I just don't know if I can part with my Panda, even if it ends up getting little use
pdch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2013, 11:28 AM   #1166 (permalink)

sorry to see someone lose interest, out of my own interest what type of apps did you notice the speed increase that made your transition important?

browsers? games? emulators? other?

and did you have cm9/10 installed as well as this often boosts the life of a touchpad when you cant get an app you need.
Old 02/16/2013, 11:38 AM   #1167 (permalink)

<threads merged>

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2013, 11:45 AM   #1168 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
To me the best podcast app by far is sticher.
Hardly. it also generates streaming errors frequently, can't download podcasts and only the latest podcast is available. I didn't even bother downloading it for iOS despite the fact that it's one of BMW's apps.
doctj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2013, 11:53 AM   #1169 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdch View Post
I was one of the lucky people to pick up a Surface Pro 128 on launch day. I thought I would just use the Pro as a business tablet and keep using my Touchpads as my regular home/entertainment tablets. One of my main concerns with the Pro was the reported battery life. I am starting to believe that most of the tech blogs were paid off by Apple to give the Pro negative reviews, because most of what they said in the reviews were outright lies. My Pro's battery lasts all day, it hasn't run out on me yet. My busiest day using it, it still had 25% battery after 13 hours of use.

So the point is, my 32Gb touchpad is now gathering dust and I think I have touched my 64 twice since buying the Surface. The 32 is just painfully slow to me now (amazing how quickly you get accustomed to speed - and the Pro is FAST). It is a sad time for me. I love WebOS and wish I could see it operate on this hardware (remember the days of WebOS on PCs of the future).

Keep an eye on the market. I suspect I will be listing my 32 soon. I just don't know if I can part with my Panda, even if it ends up getting little use
I'm personally waiting for a fanless version of the Pro (or a Vizio), hopefully an AMD APU powered version should be on the market soon once Temash and the next generation of APUs are available. x86 tablets are advantageous to me as remote access to my practice EMR is free on windows while it costs $50/mo on iOS
doctj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2013, 01:42 PM   #1170 (permalink)

Well its with a heavy heart that I must announce my departure from WeBOS. Mind you that its not by choice but by need that this has come by.

Ive owned every numbered Pre product thats been released ( Pre-, Pre 2, and Pre 3) and was very happy with every device. Mind you they werent the perfect devices but the elegance and convience of use with WebOS had made me a die hard user to the very end, even after Apotheker and HP killed it. I was even hopeful that someone would pick up WebOS one day and I would use my Pre 3 until then.

Alas to make the long story short, I had to replace my Pre 3 due to it bricking. Dunno how that happened as every Pre device I've had (even my Sprintified Pre 2) have all been solid devices. As my cell is my only means of communication, I had to find a replacement immediately. With no more WebOS devices in developement, I've been forced to move on to another platfrom ( Windows Phone ). I wish WebOS good luck and will remember all its ups and downs. Maybe one day, well find each other again if a company ever picks it up.

So long WebOS. Parting is such sweet sorrow

P.S. I'll still be dropping in once in a while and you guys can still catch me on wpcentral
pinoyrepn1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2013, 02:18 PM   #1171 (permalink)

That's the route I took WP8. Sad I had to leave too.

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2013, 05:18 PM   #1172 (permalink)

<threads merged>

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2013, 10:38 PM   #1173 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
sorry to see someone lose interest, out of my own interest what type of apps did you notice the speed increase that made your transition important?

browsers? games? emulators? other?

and did you have cm9/10 installed as well as this often boosts the life of a touchpad when you cant get an app you need.
It's funny to see many ask the same question when they see folks leaving WebOS or stop using the useless TouchPad(sorry for offending WebOS users...yet the truth hurts), I think it's not that anyone has lost any interest....Truthfully for me, its the HP attitude towards WebOS and it's lack of update that makes people leave WebOS. For example the browser situation gets worse, the apps, out-dated flash player, improvements in notifications, lack of voice dictation, and lack of new synergy plugins. Shameful HP
Old 02/17/2013, 12:41 AM   #1174 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
It's funny to see many ask the same question when they see folks leaving WebOS or stop using the useless TouchPad(sorry for offending WebOS users...yet the truth hurts), I think it's not that anyone has lost any interest....Truthfully for me, its the HP attitude towards WebOS and it's lack of update that makes people leave WebOS. For example the browser situation gets worse, the apps, out-dated flash player, improvements in notifications, lack of voice dictation, and lack of new synergy plugins. Shameful HP
yeah but lets say someone decides to replace their touchpad for the reasons you mention, then go buy a spangly new android tablet, whats the difference between the touchpad with android for the apps they want and a different android tablet?

tbh their the same, only you can do less with the new android tablet (might have a bigger screen res tho if thats important).

i know i only ask about the cm9/10 thing as theres still bound to be people who either dont know they can or they arent confident attempting it.

double or triple boot your touchpad and you get more than you would elsewhere yet still gain access to what you need in whichever os.

its idd fact my touchpad running webOS has access to far far less than the rest, but a lot of thats not really needed, plus i can boot into android or ubuntu for anything else, and i have the touchstone.

its also however fact that my android tablets and my ipad3 cant do all of the above on their own, so i often wonder if people leaving for android/apple only products know this as well or not.
Old 02/17/2013, 04:51 AM   #1175 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I don't see the problem with speed. My 32GB Touchpad runs on Uberkernel, 1,5 GHz with a profile that uses both cores when needed and everything is stupidly fast, no matter how many cards or even Enyo 2 apps I open and still on the busiest day it gets me through the day.
Old 02/17/2013, 05:43 AM   #1176 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
I don't see the problem with speed. My 32GB Touchpad runs on Uberkernel, 1,5 GHz with a profile that uses both cores when needed and everything is stupidly fast, no matter how many cards or even Enyo 2 apps I open and still on the busiest day it gets me through the day.
i know 2 android users that base their entire "speed experience" on how fast they can show people they can smooth swipe between homescreens, and thats about it
Old 02/25/2013, 12:56 PM   #1177 (permalink)

The following is not a rant, but rather a lament.

I was an avid user of the sprint pre and bought a touchpad on release day. As a rabid webOS fan, I used to roll my eyes when I hear people bragging about their iphones. Now I just pity them.

My Pre finally died about a year ago and I didn't want to bug my poor tech at Sprint to source yet another refurb, so I jumped ship to android. I have to say, the OS isn't really my cup of tea but I do love the advanced features webOS never had like voice to text and a vibrant software catalog. It's also nice to use a full featured browser.

My touchpad is basically an angry bird kindle with a pinch of web surfing.

I patiently waded through the roller coaster of epic corporate mismanagement and watched my platform of choice die a putrid death.

From the day HP hit us with devastating news, I went from being an avid reader and sometime poster to lurkerdom in record time. Now, there's no point I'm sorry to say. While I'm proud of the progress the port team has made, I wish them luck on their future development.

LG is buying gram and effectively killing any hope of new mobile devices. The platform is officially dead (at least, with regard to mobile devices). It's sad, webOS was the best mobile OS.

Now I sit patiently until ubuntu phone and tablet is ready for prime time. Judging by the intensely active developer email list, it's well on its way to prime time.

I will buy a new android slate device and load it with ubuntu and once my s2 contract ends early next year, I should be able to get a nice new phone to load ubuntu on it as well. All my devices will be in sync with the same platform across the board. Fingers crossed.

As a final note, I am a longtime member of ubuntu and kubuntu forums. The alias is the same as the one here, so if anyone is a member of those respective forums, yell my way sometime.

So long folks, I'll miss you.
Old 02/25/2013, 02:41 PM   #1178 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I knew you not...

Nevertheless, fair thee well, good sir, fare thee well.

I, for one, am excited to see LG invest in webOS. I think they are a very crafty and capable company.

RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by barryb20 likes this.
Old 02/25/2013, 05:51 PM   #1179 (permalink)

Ever since the Apothekalypse, I've been roaming the mobile desert much like Moses seeking "the promised land". In no particular order, I've been on BlackBerry, iOS, Android, Windows Mobile and Windows Phone 7.5. At the time, I knew I had to be practical and accept the fact that webOS was dead. Move on is what I kept saying to myself. Well I did. I moved on from all those previously mentioned platforms and I've come home to the same Verizon Pre3 I had before this trek began. I've resigned myself to the fact that webOS is what works for me, it's what I like and it's what I'll have until it simply doesn't work anymore. The funny part of all this has to be the fact that before webOS, I felt the same way about Palm OS and my Treo 755p.

I don't blame anybody for abandoning ship and going to another OS and I cringe when I see posts from those who criticize the ones that leave. Nobody pays my bills or performs my work, so if you disagree with this post feel free to comment. But don't make it personal toward me or anybody else who makes a conscious decision regarding their choice of phones/tablets. Peace, love and soul.
fatclue_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/28/2013, 01:15 PM   #1180 (permalink)

I had hoped this day would never come but with the advent of the aptly named "Apothekalypse" (kudos to fatluvr_98 for that) I knew down deep that it would be inevitable. So today is the day I finally, and regretfully, leave PalmNation. I go all the way back to the earliest Palm Pilots, and worked my way through the Treo 755p, Pre, and Pre+ so I do this reluctantly and only because the webOS operating system, which I thought was not only elegant but also straightforward and ideal for mobile use, has all but been abandoned through no fault of any of the good folks who labored over it for so many years.

So where to go from here? Regrettably, the tech universe has devolved into three warring evil empires: The Forbidden Fruit Empire, the Empire of Goo, and Microsoftieland. So what to do? First of all, there's just no freaking way I will ever be assimilated by the Forbidden Fruit and I resent all of the subtle and not-so-subtle invasions of personal privacy the Goo people see as their inalienable right. (I won't even mention the notorious security holes in the AndroidOS). That leaves the Microsofties which, while not angelic, are at least less evil than the others, IMO. I pick up my Windows 8 Phone later today. At least it should be able to sync with my (HP) Windows PC and my Surface RT. Wish me luck.

My Pre+ will not be shot, burned, thrown in the trash, or dishonored in any way. It will simply be retired. It served me well for over three years and It has finally earned a rest.

All the best to those who remain,

Last edited by KMOU; 03/01/2013 at 02:37 PM.
KMOU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, competition, cracked, farewell, frustrated, hammer, leaving, palm, pre, pre -, pre plus, pre3, preware, qvc, return, returned, sdk, switching, webos, webos 3.0, wpa2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0