webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Nation Community >  General News & Discussion > Official: General Palm (HP/Palm) Complaints / Venting / Farewell Thread
Official: General Palm (HP/Palm) Complaints / Venting / Farewell Thread
Like Tree159Likes

Old 12/25/2012, 01:16 AM   #1141 (permalink)

<thread merged into the 'venting' thread>

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: TJs11thPre
Old 12/25/2012, 01:19 AM   #1142 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
<thread merged into the 'venting' thread>
i didn't know there was one of those. thanx for cleaning up around here. you do a good job.

merry christmas.
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/25/2012, 02:09 AM   #1143 (permalink)

@TJs11thPre,

Oh man, sorry you have to go through this. I thought that everything was working previously except for a cracked screen, that it was only a matter of screen transplant.

Good luck in any case. I think it's kind of time for someone to process and condense the information we have on here into something more or less reliable, a guide. I'm doing that with webOS app dev information, to make it possible for future developers to simply jump in, and if i had any more linux knowledge, i would have definitely done something for the MetaDoctor side.
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/25/2012, 06:24 AM   #1144 (permalink)

@TJs11thPre

I have a frankenpre and its a fine piece of machinery. If you dont want the headache with the doctors and such, considering paying someone to do it for you. I know a guy who is doing it for my friend for thirty five dollars. PM me if you interested.
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/25/2012, 06:50 AM   #1145 (permalink)

@TJs11thPre

If you want to doctor the phone you can download the doctor versions here: WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

My personal preference is 2.1.0 mainly because I see no advantage to 2.2.4 and I hate what they did with the phone app. When my girl friend calls I want to see the contact image in all its glory and not squished at the bottom like in 2.2.4, also no video pause patch works good in 2.1

And if you need help getting sprint navigation and sprint tv back just ask.
Old 01/12/2013, 03:53 PM   #1146 (permalink)

Can you make a frankenpre from the pre 3, or do you need to use 2 our earlier?
Puzzlegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2013, 04:16 PM   #1147 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzlegal View Post
Can you make a frankenpre from the pre 3, or do you need to use 2 our earlier?
Only Pre2 and earlier.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2013, 07:14 PM   #1148 (permalink)

It was a fun ride...

My Pre 3 was just taken from my hands... literally, by some crooks on a motorcycle. Silly me, getting down from the car and trying to maneuver with my laptop and the car keys while answering a phone call.

I guess that's it for me, I won't get another one, perhaps in a long time, perhaps ever.

The one thing that hurts me the most is the (maybe small) amount of pictures taken last year. I got a Galaxy S2 and the Pre 3 was only used as my job phone, only for calls, but I still took the ocassional picture with my girlfriend from time to time.

Now I only have to wait until them connect it to a WiFi network, which I hope happens soon, for the device to get fully erased. And I hope it wipes everything (I did the erase thing from the Palm profile page).

What happens after the device erase? Does it dissapear from the Palm Profile page?

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
Needs: Veer (anyone?)
Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
Twitter: @cesarneg
NuttyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2013, 08:23 PM   #1149 (permalink)

I would say so, since at that point it would be logged out of the palm profile.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2013, 08:32 PM   #1150 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
Well, it was there for a while, and now it's gone.

So long my dear Pre 3. It was a good ride. At least now I know that my information wasn't compromised.

Thanks for the answer

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
Old 01/30/2013, 06:50 AM   #1151 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuttyBunny View Post
It was a fun ride...

My Pre 3 was just taken from my hands... literally, by some crooks on a motorcycle. Silly me, getting down from the car and trying to maneuver with my laptop and the car keys while answering a phone call.

I guess that's it for me, I won't get another one, perhaps in a long time, perhaps ever.

The one thing that hurts me the most is the (maybe small) amount of pictures taken last year. I got a Galaxy S2 and the Pre 3 was only used as my job phone, only for calls, but I still took the ocassional picture with my girlfriend from time to time.

Now I only have to wait until them connect it to a WiFi network, which I hope happens soon, for the device to get fully erased. And I hope it wipes everything (I did the erase thing from the Palm profile page).

What happens after the device erase? Does it dissapear from the Palm Profile page?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
Quote:
Well, it was there for a while, and now it's gone.

So long my dear Pre 3. It was a good ride. At least now I know that my information wasn't compromised.

Thanks for the answer

If you know the serial number...

HSTNH-F30CE: W3RE1XXXXXXX
HSTNH-F30CN: W3BD1XXXXXXX
HSTNH-F30CV: MDVPWXXXXXXX

File a police report, with the serial number and if you have it the box with the serial number on it...

Use another phone use impostah to make the existing phone look like the one stolen...

Put it on a Palm Profile...

Once someone buys/uses your stolen phone it will kick your impostahed one off, you now can call HP/Palm and tell them you need a profile that is associated to your stolen phone, you might have to use a threat of law suit for the discovery, but with the police report it should not be hard...

Or you can keep associating your impostahed device which will kick and wipe their device (unless they start using impostah to mock another device)...

Just for getting it back, to me it would be worth it...
John Steffes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2013, 07:18 AM   #1152 (permalink)

Thanks but it's already too late. I already sent an device erase to it. And it seems that is has kicked in since it no longer appears on my profile page.

Besides, I live in Mexico and the laws regarding this kind of things are very foggy. Not mentioning that most cops would think twice to get into these neighborhoods to recover a single phone.

Unfortunately that's not the way things work around here.

But yes, I do have the serial. Are you saying that I can login with another profile to that serial and it will wipe the Phone over and over?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Old 01/30/2013, 07:31 AM   #1153 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks but it's already too late. I already sent an device erase to it. And it seems that is has kicked in since it no longer appears on my profile page.

Besides, I live in Mexico and the laws regarding this kind of things are very foggy. Not mentioning that most cops would think twice to get into these neighborhoods to recover a single phone.

Unfortunately that's not the way things work around here.

But yes, I do have the serial. Are you saying that I can login with another profile to that serial and it will wipe the Phone over and over?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
Yes you can, you can p i s s the person who bought/stole your phone, and keep wiping their phone over and over and over and over...

When I first attempted a Pre2-Sprint Pre swap, I noticed the comm board (MEID device ID) is what is registered as the device, so even though it was a Pre2 it kept thinking it was a Pre, but with impostah, the meid was device overrided to the Pre2, so according to Sprint it was a Pre but according to HP/Palm it was a Pre2. But then we put the Pre2 comm board into the Pre and every time we associated it to a profile it would kick the Pre2 off, which is what gave me the idea for you...

If you want more help with it let me know via PM, I can help...

Although Mexico is not 100% with a police report, at least it would be worth a shot (as long as you have the box and proof you owned it)... keep an eye on ebay for a Pre3 being sold from mexico...

Last edited by John Steffes; 01/30/2013 at 07:36 AM.
John Steffes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/09/2013, 04:26 AM   #1154 (permalink)

A somewhat sad but not entirely unexpected day.

My Pre 3's screen shattered. It fell from my pocket to the concrete floor screen first and didn't bounce. Oddly, I was in a melancholic mood after that. Guess I expected it to happen one day. This phone's fallen quite a number of times but has never received a mark from a fall.

I guess my tenure with WebOS is over. I've used a Pre Plus (screen started dying) and then this Pre 3 in October 2011. It's been a good run with the phone behaving well all this while.

But it looks like it's time to move on since there aren't anymore WebOS phones on the horizon....

Looks like I'll be replacing it with the new Blackberry Z10 which has shamelessly copied WebOS.

Anything I should do? Take out all contacts?
Fatfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/09/2013, 05:50 AM   #1155 (permalink)

Why don't you get a replacement one and keep webOS alive? It sounds like you are using this unfortunate incident as an excuse to move on to 'greener pastures'. I have a feeling that you would be disappointed with another platform after enjoyig the benefits of webOS. I have thought of switching several times, and after playing with the different android, apple and windows smart phones at the wireless phone store or kiosk, I walk out not finding anything I can be happy with to leave webOS. I do have to admit that I have not played with the new blackberry Z10 device, but you will miss the real keyboard. Keep the faith!

Last edited by docjj; 02/09/2013 at 05:55 AM. Reason: typos
docjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ananimus and barryb20 like this.
Old 02/09/2013, 08:27 AM   #1156 (permalink)

True words Doc,

I been there cant remember all the phones I have had post my first Pre3 but kinda went like Meego (n9) > Android (S3) > WP8 (N920)> Android (Note 2)> webOS (Pre3)

I found after a while 90+% of all the apps I had were just clutter (and a waste of cash) I wanted back to webOS just the other day one of the interns asked whats that? Its cool pointing at my Pre 3, he has an iPhone 5

Cheers,

Barry
barryb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/09/2013, 11:40 AM   #1157 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryb20 View Post
True words Doc,

I been there cant remember all the phones I have had post my first Pre3 but kinda went like Meego (n9) > Android (S3) > WP8 (N920)> Android (Note 2)> webOS (Pre3)

I found after a while 90+% of all the apps I had were just clutter (and a waste of cash) I wanted back to webOS just the other day one of the interns asked whats that? Its cool pointing at my Pre 3, he has an iPhone 5

Cheers,

Barry
I'm in a similar scenario, for the first time in 15 yrs I no longer carry a palm/palm related device. Shattered my screen as I mentioned in another thread and decided not to purchase another pre 3. The main reason is it's an unsupported phone and will not be eligible for openwebos.

I've used an iphone for the last week after a four year hiatus. There's been good progress in the UI from inability to copy/paste or rudimentary multitasking.
From my short experience webOS is still a superior core OS-multitasking, notifications, synergy, messaging and email are superior experiences on webOS.
iOS is limited by lack of a back button/gesture, i don't like the email interface and gmail isn't pushed due to Google's change of policy so it's a setback due to the fact that I could receive push email on my Pre 3.

However as an overall platform iOS is more useful which overcomes it's UI shortcomings. Certain apps that are crucial to me have been absent on the Pre3- examples are citrix receiver (never functioned on touchpad even though nominally provided) allows me to check on my patient's information everywhere. A tremendous help to my practice. Epocrates that originally made me acquire a handspring device has been absent from webOS for the last 2 years. Apps that give me access to services I'm already paying for like netflix, amazon prime and kindle are nice to have.

Third party support is one of the reasons I switched as I didn't want to buy another pre3 without a touchstone compatible case. Bluetooth integration with my car is far superior on iOS. For example with podcast audio streaming on my Pre the car's screen would show unknown audio whereas with iphone 5 the podcast's full information will be displayed.

On the performance side, the Pre 3 is no slouch compared to iphone 5. Surprisingly I've experienced lags and delays on the mighty iOS which I never experienced in webOS especially when I try to search for an item.
Lack of a keyboard is offset by Siri which is my default for searching for anything, writing emails and messages. iOS has a better browser even without flash. The Pre3's browser theoretically supported Flash but I could hardly ever watch or listen to flash content as it would inevitably crash. Podcasts are also superior on iOS due to both quantity and the fact that streams would always crash whichever webOS podcaster I used ( Dr Podder, podfrenzy, Guttenpodder).

Overall webOS was unnecessarily killed by Apothekar, with a little more investment it could have easily gained marketshare. It's still the best mobile OS by a mile. The shine is wearing off iOS, iphone 5 prompted many people to look at alternatives it's essentially an app drawer and I don't think I'll use it for more than a year as I give windows and BB10 time to mature and gain some of the apps that I deem essential.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but just wanted to share my thoughts. I still have a touchpad and will follow this forum and if a major manufacturer picks up openwebOS and finds a way to get apps on it, I'll be back.
doctj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/09/2013, 11:54 AM   #1158 (permalink)

Yeah, doc nailed it. You're taking the opportunity to switch, which is of course your option. I recently spent time pondering the same, but opted to go from Pre 2 to Pre 3 after much nerdy deliberation.

Personally I think BB10 looks like a hot mess now, though I completely agree they've been ripping from webOS since the Playbook came out. The Hub stuff is a good idea, but from what I read, the implementation is atrocious if you get more than a few messages per day.

Is it really so bad to just snag another Pre 3? Heck, I picked one up off craigslist for like $150 with no strings and others have done better. The cost of doing anything else will likely entail greater hardware costs and contracts.

That all said, yeah... I understand wanting to have active support again. There's still a little left for webOS on proper webOS devices. It's really the hardware+software combo that was fantastic. A pity they're feeling divorced at the moment.

But if you want to jump then yep, all there is to do is extract any Palm Profile data and convert it to whatever PIM's best for your next platform. And if you think to, please come back and post your migration experience somewhere. It's always a helpful read!
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/09/2013, 06:07 PM   #1159 (permalink)

To me the best podcast app by far is sticher.
Old 02/10/2013, 05:47 AM   #1160 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by docjj View Post
Why don't you get a replacement one and keep webOS alive? It sounds like you are using this unfortunate incident as an excuse to move on to 'greener pastures'. I have a feeling that you would be disappointed with another platform after enjoyig the benefits of webOS. I have thought of switching several times, and after playing with the different android, apple and windows smart phones at the wireless phone store or kiosk, I walk out not finding anything I can be happy with to leave webOS. I do have to admit that I have not played with the new blackberry Z10 device, but you will miss the real keyboard. Keep the faith!
I don't like iOS, Android and windows phone because of that pointless home button either. but the blackberry 10 has most of the gestures of WebOS. As you said, the only thing missing's the keyboard. COuld go for the Q10 but I'm suspecting it'll be lame... something like the Palm Pixi.
Fatfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, competition, cracked, farewell, frustrated, hammer, leaving, palm, pre, pre -, pre plus, pre3, preware, qvc, return, returned, sdk, switching, webos, webos 3.0, wpa2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0