webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Nation Community >  General News & Discussion > Official: General Palm (HP/Palm) Complaints / Venting / Farewell Thread
Official: General Palm (HP/Palm) Complaints / Venting / Farewell Thread
Like Tree159Likes

Old 10/08/2012, 12:07 AM   #1101 (permalink)

Try turning off automatic backup for a while and see if that helps
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2012, 01:47 AM   #1102 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
Try turning off automatic backup for a while and see if that helps
Well I turned it off, I'm assuming google contacts and such will stay in sync. Is there
really a need to use the back-up feature?
Should I reinstall uberkernel or leave it at
stock for the time being? I'm really trying to hold on to this phone because I enjoy the webOS experience so much.
hotlynx69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2012, 02:35 AM   #1103 (permalink)

@hotlynx69 - do you have weather Icon installed? It's one of my favorites, but it gave me TMC errors on my Pre2.
frantid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2012, 04:35 AM   #1104 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frantid View Post
@hotlynx69 - do you have weather Icon installed? It's one of my favorites, but it gave me TMC errors on my Pre2.
I have weather dashboard installed, but I recall having such issues even before that app. Right now I'm using the stock kernel and monitoring memory and swap usage in govnah and it seems to be ok with swap remaining at zero, even after running a few apps. But I will know in a couple days how it compares to Uberkernel.. I know everyone sings praises for Uberkernel but somehow I think back to that's when so many of my issues were occurring. And I don't overclock, never felt the need to.
Old 10/08/2012, 05:08 AM   #1105 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlynx69 View Post
Well I turned it off, I'm assuming google contacts and such will stay in sync. Is there
really a need to use the back-up feature?
Should I reinstall uberkernel or leave it at
stock for the time being? I'm really trying to hold on to this phone because I enjoy the webOS experience so much.
If it was backups that was crippling your phone then it will be fixed after you diasble it and you can run uberkernel and whatever patches you want.
Old 10/08/2012, 11:00 AM   #1106 (permalink)

never did the swap memory with the pre2. i do find lately (within the last 2 weeks only) that I am needing a daily reset. when i use my phone first thing in the morning sometimes it doesn't seem to register the apps it has, i.e. if i just type to get to an app it won't give me the option. come to think of it i think i remember an emergency patch in preware that rebuilds some database stuff, maybe that would help, i'l give it a try
loopytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2012, 09:55 PM   #1107 (permalink)

After having owned a USR Pilot, Palm III, Palm V, Clie NX70, Treo700p, Pre-, Pre2, Touchpad, I've finally jumped ship. As of today I no longer am running Palm OS/WebOS anywhere as a daily use device (except the Touchpad, but that's a different story since it stays in CM9).

I'm really hoping Open WebOS will do well, I shall return if it does.

Thanks Palm (and I guess HP) for 15 years of gadgets!
kevin711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/09/2012, 03:13 PM   #1108 (permalink)

Well I hope I don't jinx it but turning off automatic backups seems to have helped things tremendously. I'm keeping an eye on swap memory in govnah and so far its a zero, and I have been playing games and used navigation, normally I would have a few mb of swap used by this point but so far so good. Lets hope this continues, I guess there really isn't a need to have automatic backup running all the time, unless of course I'm going wipe my phone then I could back it up manually.
Old 10/09/2012, 08:00 PM   #1109 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlynx69 View Post
Well I hope I don't jinx it but turning off automatic backups seems to have helped things tremendously. I'm keeping an eye on swap memory in govnah and so far its a zero, and I have been playing games and used navigation, normally I would have a few mb of swap used by this point but so far so good. Lets hope this continues, I guess there really isn't a need to have automatic backup running all the time, unless of course I'm going wipe my phone then I could back it up manually.
If that was the problem you can turn automatic backups back on after a while

Last edited by laingman; 10/11/2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 10/09/2012, 09:15 PM   #1110 (permalink)

Well I did notice after some web surging the swap memory did jump to 68mb, but it seems to be dropping little by little, now its at 60mb. Before the swap memory would not decrease it would keep increasing., so hopefully turning off automatic backup has fixed the problem.

I'm also curious as to what most of you use for i/o scheduler, whether its noop or cfq, etc. Right now mine is set at noop and that seems to be fine.
Old 10/29/2012, 01:36 PM   #1111 (permalink)

my first cell phone was a treo 180, I have never had a non-palm cell phone. But yet another crack in the usb door on my 5th sprint pre- has started crawling across the screen. Ordered a galaxy nexus 4g which should be here in 2 days, hurricane willing.
It's been a fun ride, sorry to see it end, and thanks to all the folks at treo central and pre central and webos nation that helped make it easy
Old 11/01/2012, 10:40 AM   #1112 (permalink)
TJB

Well, I did go the Franken Pre 2 route for over a year. But sadly, I love WebOs, but need new hardware. Yesterday I switched to the Galaxy Note 2. So far so good. The bigger screen is awesome and the speed is incredible. But definitely miss the cards.

I still have my Touchpads, but sadly no more WebOs phone.
TJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ToddK likes this.
Old 11/01/2012, 10:44 AM   #1113 (permalink)

I will soon follow, i think, 1st quarter next year, since open WebOS does not have the CDMA drivers. I, however, will not go the Android route.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/01/2012, 12:42 PM   #1114 (permalink)

I shall be going either Windows 8 phone or Blackberry in the new year.
daglesj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2012, 02:53 AM   #1115 (permalink)

My WebOS days are slowly coming to an end. Not completely yet, but visibly. I am getting a Samsung Galaxy S3 from my company, which I can use privately as well, so I am going to put my Pre3 to rest.
Still got the Touchpad though, well, we'll see how long that makes it, before it's replaced by some other gadget.

Coming from a long line of devices in the IT business (with highlights as the C64, Amiga2000, Palm Pilot, Palm III, and many more) I know what it means to support the underdog.
In a few days, when my GS3 arrives, I will enjoy the "winners" side once more (I had two iPhones, so I know it a bit).

For me, the Pre3 and the Touchpad are the last HP products I ever bought. This is for sure.
I do like to support underdogs who are creative and give us interesting and genious things to play with.
I do NOT support moronic molochs of compaies that have no idea of innovation and seem to use apple maps to find a strategy ...

I absolutely LUURVED the community here and will drop in frequently, at least as long as I use my touchpad.
So this ain't exactly a farewell
Old 11/09/2012, 05:27 AM   #1116 (permalink)

Awright, cool. Like losing good friends even tho we never met. Enjoy your new phone
Thanked By: Buddy1969
Old 11/09/2012, 07:16 AM   #1117 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchyarmadillo View Post
............I put it out of it's misury
More appropriate:
Attached Images
File Type: png hp-smashed-palm.png (474.0 KB, 20 views) Email Attachment
i_maq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/09/2012, 09:25 PM   #1118 (permalink)

It's sad another great poster(who agreed with me about HP incompetence) bite the dust and moves onto AndroidLand. Will missed ya, thou. Hope you don't forget this community, specially on using the great phone from Samsung with Android installed(with that great Jelly Bean 4.1).
Old 11/17/2012, 09:26 AM   #1119 (permalink)

I felt like I needed a place to vent.

But since I am a man of few words, all I can say is that I am getting worn down with all the WebOS wasteland.

I feel like I am clinging to a ship whose time has sailed. A lost boy. On a deserted island (except for you guys here). I spent a week on a business trip with a bunch of guys with iPhone 5's. After that I have to say that I am finding myself ready to go to the dark side. I will have to move to an iPad anyway because of work apps that won't run on my TouchPad. So like the siren's call, I am being lured into the iOS community. Heck I even joined iMore to see what all the buzz is about. My family carries two Veers and a Pre Plus in addition to my Pre 2. But the kids also have iPod Touches and my wife has an iPad 3. I play tech doctor on the WebOS stuff nonstop. The Apple stuff works like a charm...all the time. I don't have time to babysit the technology anymore. It should serve me rather than the other way around. Homebrew is great, but why should I have to constantly peek into the bowels of my Pre 2 to figure out what is going on. And then download patches to fix quirks? I want out. I'll miss the great user interface. I love the cards. But I'm tired of the "too many cards - DAD CAN YOU FIX MY PHONE!?" So on April 30th 2013 my contract is up. I'm going to be counting every day until then. My wife and kids are not on contract so I suppose if I go to the dark side, they'll be right behind me.

Sorry guys.
Old 11/17/2012, 06:02 PM   #1120 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclingdaddy View Post
I felt like I needed a place to vent.

But since I am a man of few words, all I can say is that I am getting worn down with all the WebOS wasteland.

I feel like I am clinging to a ship whose time has sailed. A lost boy. On a deserted island (except for you guys here). I spent a week on a business trip with a bunch of guys with iPhone 5's. After that I have to say that I am finding myself ready to go to the dark side. I will have to move to an iPad anyway because of work apps that won't run on my TouchPad. So like the siren's call, I am being lured into the iOS community. Heck I even joined iMore to see what all the buzz is about. My family carries two Veers and a Pre Plus in addition to my Pre 2. But the kids also have iPod Touches and my wife has an iPad 3. I play tech doctor on the WebOS stuff nonstop. The Apple stuff works like a charm...all the time. I don't have time to babysit the technology anymore. It should serve me rather than the other way around. Homebrew is great, but why should I have to constantly peek into the bowels of my Pre 2 to figure out what is going on. And then download patches to fix quirks? I want out. I'll miss the great user interface. I love the cards. But I'm tired of the "too many cards - DAD CAN YOU FIX MY PHONE!?" So on April 30th 2013 my contract is up. I'm going to be counting every day until then. My wife and kids are not on contract so I suppose if I go to the dark side, they'll be right behind me.

Sorry guys.
There's nothing to be sorry about poster, it's great to see that you have managed to stick so long on WebOSLand and for that you should feel proud of it. If Apple's iOS seems like a nice fit for you, feel no remorse about moving onto another platform(or as people say to Dark Side). iPad might be a nice device with great built-quality, but I feel that somehow you will miss the whole card interface along with the synergy functionality. That's one thing that I used to love about the TouchPad was the cards, synergy and wireless charging.

I'm sure that it will eventually happen to everyone including me(still clutching onto my Palm Pre 2 device), that we will have to forcefully move into another competing OS....because "Stupid HP" decided to drop the project and abandon WebOS......

Anyways, if you decide to move into another platform we all here wish you good luck.

Tags
android, competition, cracked, farewell, frustrated, hammer, leaving, palm, pre, pre -, pre plus, pre3, preware, qvc, return, returned, sdk, switching, webos, webos 3.0, wpa2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0