Page 55 of 62 FirstFirst ... 5455051525354555657585960 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1235
Like Tree168Likes
    That's great, ranting about a pre minus. I tell you I have tested all of the new things out there I have seen nothing that would make me give up my pre2.

Htc's card rip off (they should have just bought webos but of course those were the good days and they weren't in the dumps like they are now)

Adroid's sorry sideways cards, Duarte should have just man up and copied webos word for word and hp being hp would have done nothing

No Touchstone wanna be in sight yet tho.

Three years now and the original is still the best.

PS. Cards rip offs is one thing, lets see what kinda stacks imitations we gonna get
    C-Note likes this.
    I reluctantly made the move to Android. I was very bored with my Pre 2. I must say my new device is a VAST improvement over the Pre 2. I might even say it is revolutionary. The web pages load instantly, apps launch instantly, there is a built in intuitive file manager, and there are tons of apps. I was sick and tired of the Pre 2 choking while trying to launch apps and loading web pages. It is instantaneous on the S3. The multi-tasking is lacking but that is a sacrifice worth making.

I will keep an eye of webOS but it does not look good. HP blew it. I was listening to a VC on Bloomberg the other day and he said HP is a bumbling disaster area and he cited webOS as a prime example. How can you expect them to pull off this open source initiative?
    700P...755...Pre+...Pre 2...Touchpad
    Rnp and sledge007 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by compo View Post
    How can you expect them to pull off this open source initiative?
    What initiative? They are open sourcing it, and that's all they promised. It's going to be webOS Internals, and webOS Ports that are going to do something with it.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Rnp likes this.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Agreed. Like my day 1 S3 very much. Wish MT was better though.
    Rnp likes this.
    Got an Galaxy S2X, and although impressive in specs, I really don't care for Android. Installed CM9 the same day because I hate OEM customization. Aside from the bunch of games I got from Humble Indie Bundles, I don't feel like doing much with it. Chrome is nice, though. It's even got a cards-like interface for tab switching when you turn the phone sideways.
    Rnp likes this.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I tried the iOS and Android thing for about six months myself; honestly, I got a bored with iOS really fast, and Android's app market was a bit... daunting. Odd comment, I know, but it just seemed a bit overwhelming... I really only need a handful of good apps to get my work done. I know other folks may need more, but as long as I have a few games to while away the time in a waiting room, and email and the other standards... I'm good.

So.. found myself back on the trusty ol' Pre 3. Nothing's ever kept my attention like WebOS has, so I'm hoping it'll hang in there. Just in case, I've since bought up three more Pre 3s for spares, and a handful of Pre 2s, Veers, a couple of Touchpads... stocking up my supply of spares so I can keep going if I break one!

Let us know how it goes as time passes. Definitely interesting to hear other folks' perspectives!
    -= Gihmley =-

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
    <threads merged>
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Okiedokies, Here is my tale if you are interested.

I bought a palm centro (sprint) after getting a T|X. I probably got into palm in its latter, not-so-shiny days, but I do like them quite alot. At the time I am also grew tired of apple, constantly enraged by its larger talk and smaller walks, and its RDF.

I watched palm presentation at 2009 CES online (not in realtime, lol), and i was truly excited. 6 months time was long, I changed job in March and had to move to a different city, but on June 9th, I went to a local radioshack and formed a line of one.

I loved my pre, I still have it as a PDA, used it from time to time. I heard alot of complaints about cheap looking, broken charging door, oreo, etc. Fortunately, mine pre is solid as rock, only slight oreo without any other major problems.

I tolerated the sluggish UI because its fun to use. I have basic apps, I am happy enough.

Then bad news came, Palm is to be sold. I had mixed feelings about hp buying palm, on one hand, I think they have money to support palm, on the other, it has so many different operations and it may not stuck out like Microsoft did with xbox. The latter, of course, turned out to be the case.

The worse news came that HPalm will not ugrade old device to webos 2. At that time, I know the whole thing is in trouble, HP didn't seem to understand mobile phone market and eager to make money rather than losing money. Pre 3 is canceled, I knew it wouldn't take long for HP to sink smartphone. So i went ebay and got a Pre 2 for $150 and switched to T-mobile.

HP presented touchpad in Feb of 2011. I am excited, and also worried, I made several posts here asking HP to make crucial improvements of webOS's browser, speed, etc, for touchpad to succeed. Along the way, the price was leaked to be $499. at that time, I knew it will fail. I engaged heated discussion here, but many people seems to be blinded by the desire to beat apple at its own price point. P|C editorial even published an article to defend the price.

We Touchpad came out, I took a brief test run with it, the UI is still sluggish, the browser still basic. I returned it a week after.

I stuck with my pre 2 all these time, and now its time to let go. The UI is still fantastic, the card interface is still lovely, the universal search is still best designed. the ecosystem, however, is practically dead, IMHO.

I purchased a HTC One X off newegg at full price days ago.

I will be checking out this forum, and I will be keeping my pre and pre2. It was a good run and nice memory.
    We all have seen or heard about the today media event from the Apple company, with their own announcements of their newer hardware devices like the iPhone 5. And we probably already seen about the new operating system iOS 6 that will soon hit many iPhone owners, several Apple owners in this very forum will be all happy to hear that their devices will be eligible for the iOS 6 software upgrade. As for those unfortunate enough to know, its a bit hard to understand that our current TouchPad devices will not be able to upgrade to the Open WebOS (Again thanks to those at HP )...Its not easy to understand HP sometimes, As why HP couldn't done the same to many current owners of WebOS devices ? We understand that the WebOS team has a huge problem in their own department, since those idiots of HP been cutting thousands of jobs and left the WebOS team under 250 people in that staff. Add to the fact that they are currently tied with the current project of delivering all the software codes to Open source them.

Is it too hard for HP to devote a bit of their energy to focus on mobile devices that runs on WebOS and deliver a decent upgrade to our legacy(as many called them) devices ? It's too difficult of HP to give a bit of features to our old WebOS 3.0 software ? We look at the own struggles at Blackberry headquarters, but they still manage to deliver an update to the Playbook tablet.

Some might criticizes me about the same argument for the 1,000th time, I will say it again of the HP stupid decisions on the WebOS. I will no matter what, will voice my opinion on the subject obviously since my voice can't be heard at HP(don't work there). Its just my two cents on this... I only want to see HP deliver Open WebOS to the TouchPad, Am I asking too much ?
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
  10.    #1090  
    <merged>
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I eagerly ordered and waited for my Palm Pre - as soon as it was available with Sprint. I still remember very clear it was delivered to my old address. Raced over there and the folks gave me the package. Went out to dinner to Jason's Deli and while eating carefully unboxed it. What a beautiful piece of technology. I became enamored. I pushed webOS to anyone that would listen and showed off cards and multi-tasking. Everyone was amazed..."oh man my phone cant do that".

Ordered a Touchpad with the original sale, wow that was crazy. I got a refund after the firesale and then bought three more and my brother bought one. The apps on the tablet were starting to become sparse so i installed CM9. I've used CM9 about 95% of the time on the tablet and so far so good. I like it.

And now my Pre- is on the fritz and it's just not usable anymore. Its showing its age. I still love the OS and think its the best one I have used. But Android does make a good alternative. i received my Galaxy S3 today and even though i hate to admit it, today is my last webOS day.

I feel quite sad but ready to move on. I hope there is a future for OpenWebOS.
    It is sad HP stopped building and supporting their hardware or updating WebOS, but as the phones age this part of the line is over.
    I have enjoyed the webOS experience but with every patch installed that is supposed to improve things, I'm still having issues like TMC errors. I thought uberkernnel would solve those issues along with all the other optimization patches suggested by everyone but still having the same issues, I've tweaked setting, I have done everything except implement using the linux command line which I refuse to do, not worth the hassle.

There's a new mobile service called Ting that provides unlocked android phones that operates on the sprint network, so unless things improve on my Pre 2 in the next few
    weeks its back to Android, where I can at least enjoy playing Words with Friends again.
    dignitary likes this.
    I can't say I blame you. Patches are supposed to make things work better than right, not "get it right" in the first place.

And that pretty much encapsulates the problems webOS has long had with the everyday Joe who just wants their device to work "right" straight out of the box, and an ugly truth a lot of the more hardcore webOS fans have long neglected to address. A lot of tinkerers enjoy the thrill of patching and can deal with lackluster performance so long as "there's a patch for that", but that's just not how the average consumer operates. The average Joe would rather eat aluminum foil than sit around a bunch of geeks (and as a developer, I'm among them) and type 20 steps through a CLI to get a moderately important feature to work right.

The Verge's long-form article on the birth and demise of webOS even goes so far as to capture core webOS developers admitting that the OS itself lacked the performance necessary to really cut it compared to other mainstream mobile operating systems. Where webOS really nailed it, however, was the interface and navigation. It's just too bad they couldn't figure everything else out, because a navigation and interface does not a successful OS make.

Good luck on your future mobile endeavours.
    Yeah good luck man, if I had constant too many cards error I would give up too.
    It really is disappointing because I don't want to give up my Pre 2. What I did do is uninstall uberkernnel, for some reason I seemed to have the most TMC errors with that installed, which I thought was supposed to fix that issue. so I'm going to see how I fare over the next week or so without it. I still have the other System optimization patch installed and at least with govanh I can still manage to see if swap memory is being used frequently, which under uberkernnel it was and that when I would run into problems. This will be my last attempt to hold on to webOS, at least until HP comes out with something better and stable.
    hmmm i have a Pre2 on sprint frankenpre and have never had a tmc error (had many with my pre- and pre+. and i'm using uberkernal. i wonder whats different about yours then mine? I really am curious and not being sarcastic
    Quote Originally Posted by hotlynx69 View Post
    It really is disappointing because I don't want to give up my Pre 2. What I did do is uninstall uberkernnel, for some reason I seemed to have the most TMC errors with that installed, which I thought was supposed to fix that issue. so I'm going to see how I fare over the next week or so without it. I still have the other System optimization patch installed and at least with govanh I can still manage to see if swap memory is being used frequently, which under uberkernnel it was and that when I would run into problems. This will be my last attempt to hold on to webOS, at least until HP comes out with something better and stable.
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by loopytee View Post
    hmmm i have a Pre2 on sprint frankenpre and have never had a tmc error (had many with my pre- and pre+. and i'm using uberkernal. i wonder whats different about yours then mine? I really am curious and not being sarcastic
    Me too, his situation seems very unique
  19.    #1099  
    I've been running the FrankenPre2 for over a year now and have never had the issue either. Very odd that he's seeing this. Hmmmmmm
    That makes me wonder why I am experiencing this while others are not. And it happens when the phone has been sitting idle for hours, I will pick it up and try to launch an app and I get the TMC. Nothing was running prior to that. Maybe I should give one last ditch effort and doctor my phone and start from scratch and see if things improve. I'm just wondering though have the rest of you gone into a terminal command to change your swap memory capacity, I have yet to do that and really am resisting having to do that.