Page 54 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4444950515253545556575859 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1235
Like Tree168Likes
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    I feel/felt the same way a year ago. For me, it was the Amiga all over again - such a huge waste of talent, emotion, and time.

I'm loving my Motorola Photon and will update to the Samsung GSIII (pebble blue), ;-) in a couple of months.

I only miss "cards" and the touchstone, but I love all the apps, navigation, text to speech, (and speech to text), that just plain work. Not to mention a battery that lasts all day long WITH a mp3 player running through a bluetooth stereo headset most of the day!

Not as slick an OS as webOS was, but ICS and jellybean is plenty powerful and functional, and is always being updated.

I would have loved a Pre3, Touchpad running a fully developed webOS, but, sadly, that's never going to happen.

Cheers, Todd K.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
    dignitary likes this.
    Well Todd
    You'd better get your fill of 'long battery life' now. I've got the Samsung GS3 and the battery life is worse than the Pre.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Wow, that's too bad - I average 12-16 hours w/ all radios blazing with the Photon. But, that wasn't always the case when it was new, it wasn't much better than that Pre - and I made the mistake of trying a bunch of battery apps / task killers which actually made it worse. I added a few apps that seem to be running unnecessarily to the auto-end list of the built in Task Manager (on the Photon), and things settled down nicely.

Matter of fact on days when I'm home, (strong WiFi,and an Airrave), this thing will easily go 24 hours between charges, which was unthinkable with my old Pre.

I'm in no hurry to upgrade, and if the battery life on the Sammy doesn't improve, I'll wait a while.

dignitary likes this.
    Finally decided that I must let my TouchPad go, since I have been given an offer that I can't refuse.

I've quite enjoyed messing about with the Homebrew system, CM7 install, CM9 install, Arch Linux, UbuntuChroot and so much more!

I really think WebOS had (or still has) a fighting chance, and HP killed it too early. iOS didn't become the formidable market share hog it is today overnight, and the same goes for Android. Windows Phone isn't exactly thriving right now, but its pushing its way back to the top...

It has been an enlightening experience, and I just hope in the future that I will be seeing more WebOS products - a little more polish would have convinced me to buy a Pre 3! (I am very OCD about animations being buttery smooth :P, and thats why I struggle with Android < 4.0 too.)

Thanks for all the help I've had from this community in the last year, even if you haven't heard from me!

Will.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    Wow, that's too bad - I average 12-16 hours w/ all radios blazing with the Photon. But, that wasn't always the case when it was new, it wasn't much better than that Pre - and I made the mistake of trying a bunch of battery apps / task killers which actually made it worse. I added a few apps that seem to be running unnecessarily to the auto-end list of the built in Task Manager (on the Photon), and things settled down nicely.

Matter of fact on days when I'm home, (strong WiFi,and an Airrave), this thing will easily go 24 hours between charges, which was unthinkable with my old Pre.

I'm in no hurry to upgrade, and if the battery life on the Sammy doesn't improve, I'll wait a while.

I had a Sprint Pre from Opening Day 2009 until mid-2011, then a "Franken" Pre 2 for a few months until it kept freaking out when I needed it most--during my wife's pregnancy. It was the last straw, and inexcusable to keep doctoring and tinkering just to keep it stable for more than a day at a time. On the flip side, the Photon has *easily* been the best phone I ever owned. Had webOS used hardware of this quality, the bugs worked out of the OS, and the apps I need on a daily basis, I'd probably still be using one as my daily driver; it's a great OS with plenty of unfulfilled promise.

With the lack of apps (and the drying up and atrophy of what's left in the App Catalog), my Touchpad is permanently stuck in CM9 as a dashboard these days and both of my webOS smartphones sit in my "Drawer of Obsolescence" along with an old Motorola RAZR V3 and some other oddballs. We'll see what Open webOS holds, but I just don't see developers flocking to it enough to provide those critical top-tier apps like LogMeIn, Pocket, Flipboard, and the robust ecosystem that Google's built up and nurtured--something HP would have to dig deep into their pockets to provide, and that's just not happening.

In short: They'd have to take the mobile world by storm unlike any other platform has, getting beyond the times they burned retailers and users--and the times the carriers burned them--to have a chance. In addition to the top-tier developer support and robust ecosystem every platform requires to survive in today's mobile landscape.

I figure Open webOS will be a nice tinkering platform to mess with in my spare time, but without a miracle and a receptive OEM/consumer market to drive things upward, it's BeOS Mobile. I don't say this lightly, because I used to develop for webOS in homebrew and commercially as one of the earliest on the platform when it made financial sense (and I had time), and was one of its most ardent evangelizers back in the day.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    b/c to me it seems like a slap in the face.

we were the ones fighting to keep webos alive

we were the ones buying their apps from their anemic app store

we were the ones making and signing petitions

we were the ones supporting hp/webos by buying their devices

and 'this' is the thanks we get?
    spherelander likes this.
    i'm sorry, what is the thanks you get? who owes you what?
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

8.    #1068  
    <merged>
    (isn't Palm OS 6 Cobalt related to BeOS?)

Welp, I largely done with HP. Their computers were terri-bad-ismal and now this. I understand the motivation, but it also largely comes across as one last-ditch effort to intentionally screw the community that is webOS's life support system. (which is not the case, it's more lack of drive i guess
    As the title says I'm heading back over to Android. The fact that my Frankenpre2 can't even play my mp3's without skipping is just the last straw. No matter what i have done with patches, kernels etc the Pre2 is not much better than my Pre - and no where near the other Android phones I've used. I'll hang onto it for now but I just can't use it everyday for the time being.
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Pre -> Pixi -> Sprint Pixi Plus Hybrid -> Pre -> Epic 4G
    That's bizarre. I never have any issues playing mp3's on my Pre2.. Well, good luck to you.
    Yeah, very strange. I think once I had a problem with screen state profile causing music to skip when phone off but that's it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Tried several different profiles, screenstate,performance, OD and all skipped, constantly. I'm not even mentioning my issues with SMS lag.
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Pre -> Pixi -> Sprint Pixi Plus Hybrid -> Pre -> Epic 4G
    Putz... I has some like this only when my Pre 3 is trying to connect in the router wifi, but is away, with weak signal or with bad 3G signal...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    That's bizarre. I never have any issues playing mp3's on my Pre2.. Well, good luck to you.
    That has happened to me more than twice, music when playing it skips a few seconds when playing on my Palm Pre 2. While my old iPod Touch that runs on the same kind of processor(a single-core) can play music with ease and without skipping a beat. And what's more weird is when I'm playing music on Pandora or other music apps, that little skip it doesn't happen.
    Owner of an HP TouchPad (32GB) and a brand new Palm Pre 3 (16GB) for VZ wireless.
    I am at the crossroads and see myself (sadly) slowly migrating for WebOS. I have been a long term Palm fanatic starting with and early US Robotics Palm Pilot, Palm IIxe, Palm Tungste, Palm Vx, and Pre Plus, Pre 2, and a Touchpad. My Pre 2 is still my current phone.

While I have been using CM7, and CM9 on my Touchpad, I remained loyal and preferred WebOS. But I feel the time is coming to an end...

I am using the latest CM9 builds and while I still prefer WebOS as an operating system, it's hard for me to decline the appeal of a supported OS like CM9. Now that I have used it more and more I am getting used to it's quirks. At the highest level, it is smoother, web browser is superior, and email has a series of plusses and minuses when compared to WebOS. But as they say, it is the apps. I have tried to remain true to WebOS, but there are just too many reasons for me now.

Some examples:

All of the music services that aren't available on WebOS, notably Spotify (but so many others)
    Sonos and other remote control apps
    Zinio...far superior on Android
    Eye-Fi, Phanfare, and so many other imaging alternative.

There is no denying WebOS has the guts, but without the apps they will lose more and more.

While I still hope that with Open WebOS,, or WebOS CE we will be able to run Android apps, until then I see myself spending less and less time on that side.

As to my phone....I am still holding on but hoping that Windows Phone 8 will provide the alternative I need.

Thanks for letting me clear my conscience
    I don't think it's necessarily about conscience or loyalty for me. I have had a long line of Palm products going back to the Palm Pilot III. When I've upgraded hardware I've always kept my eye on my investment in the software. As I've said elsewhere, I would have been much more likely to wade into Droid land 3 1/2 years ago (when my Treo died) instead of webOS if MotionApps Classic had not been available because it would have meant that the time and software investments to upgrade would have been more similar.

Currently I have CyanogenMod 9 on one of my TP and it has some useful things like natively running Xfinity and Netflix, along with a pretty robust backup in TitaniumBackup. (Mostly though, it's nice to be able to test the app I'm building w/o having to buy a separate tablet). I've made a bit of investment in software there but it's not exactly a firm commitment compared with the time and software investment I have in webOS.

And honestly, after playing with my partner's Android phone and the CyangenMod 9 on the TP - I'm plenty happy with what webOS does (and the way it does it) for now. And webos-internals continues to offer me reassurance that things will stay interesting for some time to come.

So I just doubled down and got a good deal on a new Pre 3 on ebay to upgrade my 1 1/2 yr old Pre2. That will give me at least a year or two - and really, who knows what things will look like then? I know I won't head into Apple land, and I'm keeping my eye on Android just so I'm not completely - I don't know - uninformed(?) if a mobile OS switch becomes reasonable.

I'm also interested in keeping my unlimited data plan w/Verizon as long as possible which I would lose if I upgrade through their stores. So buying a phone w/o using their upgrade makes sense to me and getting the Pre 3 means I will have all of the software I have now and the learning curve will be much simpler. So again, I don't know if it's loyalty or conscience - or just what makes sense from my individual perspective.

Several years ago, I knew people who had the Pre- on Sprint that hated it. I heard comments like "it's crazy that you have to root the phone to do anything useful with it or make it work right". But, 'rooting' a webOS device is so trivial compared with 'rooting' an android device, IMHO, that, at this point, my *time* investment in getting my mobile devices to work the way I want them to (tethering, for example) is definitely another factor in keeping me attached to webOS. And just generally, if something breaks, I'm much more confident that I know how to fix it in webOS than Android (don't even get me started on Apple stuff).

So, who knows? Maybe Windows 8 will be *stunning* on the mobile platform. Maybe the app switching and notifications in ICS will continue to be improved to the point where it actually becomes enjoyable to use it. Maybe Firefox or Facebook(!). . .

I'm still pretty happy with webOS and very grateful for (and impressed by) the webos-internals effort. So I feel quite comfortable to keep on keepin' with webOS for the time being.

5 years ago, I knew only a couple of people that had a smartphone. Now, I just know a couple that don't.

5 years from now?

Who knows.
  18.    #1078  
    <merged>
    Sorry to say..... Isn't that the way just about every other message in this thread goes? Big deal, everybody that left cites they are angry with HP or the Pre, why give them a platform to speak? They provide little if any useful feedback as to what their problem was. Would you like to hear my farewell message?

Sorry to say that I will be moving on to my Samsung Galaxy, the Palm Pre2 (that HP gave me since I'm an HP employee) didn't survive the dip in my glass of Orange Juice one morning while driving to work. I mean, come on, shouldn't every phone survive a few seconds under a pool of acidic fluid designed to make us gain weight and still die of heart disease when we turn 60?

I have nothing to say about the lack of features or quality of the Pre2. I enjoyed it while I had it. I wish the developers on here the best of luck. And to the Homebrew guys, "Great Job!"

So long,
    Jeff
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    I, for one, don't mind the farewell stories. Your sarcastic rant included. ;-) ...many of my Palm devices lived on for a long time after going for a swim in various liquids. Water, Coke, and Coffee... ;-) that's why I love a removable battery! OJ- must be the worst, I suppose.

Touchstone charging and "cards" - the only things I wish I still had from webOS....