Page 53 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3434849505152535455565758 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1235
Like Tree168Likes
  1.    #1041  
    <threads merged>
    Quote Originally Posted by l8whalefr8 View Post
    So, I got the 32 TP on launch day. I was already a webOS user and adopted the homebrew quite nicely. The potential and downline implications of a whole ecosystem got me super excited.

Then it was 2 weeks later, the HP Titantic took a hard over. All the bugs that were straightened out weren't. 3.x.x came and went.

I kept downloading apps I didn't need or want to show support for those that worked to develop them to keep the hope alive. Well, thanks to the Homebrewers, especially WebInternalz for providing a better user experience than HP ever wold give effort to.

Seemingly unrelated, my wife's iSheeple gave up the ghost and I conned her into a Droid of the giant screen variety, selfishly keeping her out of the grasp of the iSheeple4s. Then I tried the droid. Ooops.

Now I found the same spirit of Homebrew (and fromour home brewer's hard work, and me following their instructions a bit of skill and not as intimidated about doing stuff to my webOS stuff) in the Cynaogen Mod folks.

I dropped CM9 on my tab the other day. Other than the camera and mic issue, there is not a complaint in the world. Yes, I miss synergy, but not as much as I will not miss having a far more (in my world) usable apps for my daily life. The tab is running fast and clean. I have access to work data I didn't under webOS. I have access to apps for the personal stuff I use every day I didn't have before.

So, as much as I wanted webOS to fulfill it's potential, I stuck with it as long as I could, mainly as a tribute to the homebrewers that actually made the product workable. It's been fun, I appreciated the learning experiences and getting skills I didn't have before, but it's time for us to go our ways.

It's not you, it's me. Maybe as you are cast off into the wild, you'll blossom into the long ago promised potential. But for now, I gotta say goodbye.....
    CM9 is cool and all, but the usability isn't up to webOS levels really. For that reason, I think you'll be back if OpenMobile delivers good Android app functionality!
    There is no question in my mind that WebOS was a step backwards from the OS on the Treo.

Yes WebOS has better graphics BUT you can't change the text size when using text messaging and the text size in WebOS is so small, why bother having better graphics?

The Treo was designed for easy, one handed operation and navigation. WebOS is "messy" for lack of a better term.

WebOS is not a very productive mobile phone OS - it's more of a tinkerer paradise but a frustrating daily driver.

I have stayed in the Palm family since the Treo 600 but it's past time to move on. Palm and HP abandoned the mobile business and there is absolutely no reason for me not to follow suit.
    spherelander likes this.
    As someonw who nevee owned a true smartphone until my dad got rid of this once since it was just collecting dust, I will say that for something I got for free, it's prerty good. I have it overclocked, patched to my liking, themed up, etc... But the most frustrating thing as many have mentioned is that there just aren't any apps, and a phone is only as good as its apps. No netflix? I can't rely on youtube to get my fix while relaxing in bed on a sick day now that my wii has been dead for more than a year. The keyboard is too tiny. I'm a small gal with size 5 fingers. They are smaller than most 5th grader hands. Even I can't type on this quickly typo free. Now, my old kyocera had an awesome keyboard. Why did they not make the keyboard open widthwise especially since gestures are only really used when used in portrait, not landscape. Tired of cutting my nails every 3 days. If I had paid for it, sure, I'd be a little upset. The palm seems more and more like abandonware if you ask me. Definitely considering an ipod touch when I can afford to buy things again. At least my tracfone does it job and is small, not mich of a target for thieves and cheap.
    Just too many problems with my original Pre, and Sprint is getting really stingy about replacing Pres that don't have some obvious defect. So I got an iPhone 4s today. My wife and son have been using theirs for a couple months now, and seem pretty happy.

It's faster, the screen is better, and there are "MOAR APPSSZZ!!". Whoop-de-do. But that onscreen keyboard sucks.

Ah well, I've got 2 weeks to return it if I don't like it, and in the meantime I'll be hovering on eBay and the Marketplace here to see if I can get ahold of a Pre2 to frankenpre.
    I used to like webos, now I hate it! What has changed that would make me hate something?? This is very serious. I used to be able to chat fine in the webos chat program with skype. Now it when I type, it takes 5- 10 seconds just to type!!! This didnít use to be a problem until the resent update. And this is soo frustrating. 10 seconds might not seem like a big deal, but when you are live chatting with someone and the 10 second delay happens every few minutes, then it becomes a serious hassle and aggravates me! Everything freezes for 5-10 seconds. I cant type, I cant close the app, I cant receive messages. Its annoying!

Why is the keyboard response so slow? Why is webos unable to process simple chat?

I have advanced logging turned off. I donít have anything fancy installed or other apps running during chat. I havent installed another keyboard. I havent installed another kernal. Everything worked fine before the previous webos update. So what has changed and how can I make typing work without a 10 second delay??? I turn off English typing (auto correct) but I still have have the same freezes.

Just the fact that I have to use my time to ask why this device isnít working for simple typing, is enough to show that something is wrong and im sure a lot of other people face the same frustrations.

Another thing, I have to restart my touchpad often since the most recent update. Its sluggish and keeps saying too many cards open when I just have 1 open. I never experienced this problem before.
    It sounds like you are running out of memory. I know you said that you had not installed another kernel, but you might actually help the memory management if you did install Govnah and Uberkernel.
    If I am running out of memory, then it is a problem related to the latest webos update because I didnt use to have this typing problem. Ive read the forums and other people report webos running sluggish. Is there anything else I can do to fix it besides installing a new kernel?
    Its like the touchpad is freezing when user "input" is put in from the keyboard.
    are you anywhere near the memory limit on your TP, ie have you loaded it with video / audio etc?
    Touchpad 4G, Pre3
    No, I am not near the memory limit. I have 24 GB free.
    I have to restart often such as every day or every other day because of the Too many cards open. But even after a fresh restart, the freezing when typing happens.
    Thanks for brainstorming.
    I have with very heavy heart left Pre. I still have my Touchpad and will never put it down, but I have moved on to the new EVO LTE.

It does everything the my totally Homebrewed Pre did but without hacks. I have cards that I swipe away, and can jump back and forth to with a quick flip. The only thing I havent figured out how to do is get something like FreeTether on it.

I am sad, but at the same time very happy. I'm still in the learning phase, but it has been smoother than I though.

Most importantly I'd like to thank all the HomeBrew community for making WebOS everything that it is. If PALM had had all of you doing what you do back then, the WebOS would have blasted everything away. I've also noticed that the sister site Android Central is not as friendly to move within as was the Homebreweres here.

Many thanks to all of you that kept the fire going.
    Well people, it's been fun.

I've been a member of this board since May of 2002. My first Palm device was the Palm IIIe. My latest (and current) the Pre (Sprint) and TouchPad. Even managed to get the wife on board with several Palm devices through the years - including a Pre and TouchPad. But she opted out for an iPhone 4s back at the end of her contract in January.

I on the other hand held out, with a determined grit that would not be extinguished (or so I thought) that I would rock "WebOS or Die". I let my contract expire and have been going month to month with my 1st-gen Pre in anticipation of something...anything that would give me hope for new hardware sporting WebOS.

Well, after several major glitches and bugs started recurring with my device, and being faced with the $100 protection plan deductible for replacing it with another piece of 2+ year old hardware, I finally came to the conclusion that it's time to move on.

I loath iOS, so they were never an option. And I never found solice with Android either. But I've seen enough now of this new Galaxy S3 coming out to be swayed into beleiving this is the next best thing to WebOS.

I'm not looking forward to toting around a gimungous 'phone booth' on my hip, but hey... It multi-tasks WAY better than iOS.

So, bottom line, I will be checking in on webOS Nation religiously to see when (and if) a device is about to emmerge with our beloved WebOS on it. But until that time, I'll be getting along the best I can with my new Galaxy S3. sniff-sniff.

So, if you see me walking by, WebOS, don't look, because you just might see me cry...

Much Love, WebOS! Much Love... BFF!
    Sad to see you go.

Good luck with the Galaxy.

If you find you don't like it, you can find used Pre2 in good condition and someone will swap out your old Pre for you, saving the $10 monthly Sprint is going to charge you for switching phones.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I never was a diehard PRE freak. Its just a phone to me. It never did pickup any support momentum that could have turned me into a Web-OS maniac. I kept my flip phone for like 6 years. And it never broke once. So Ive had the PRE for like 6 years and replaced it 6 times. I like that it fits nice in my pocket. But my eyesight went bad, and the screen is hard to surf with. So I only use the phone and GPS and snap pics and videos. But the pics suck, so I bought a new battery and went bad to carrying my Panasonic ZS5. The FB app doesnt work any more. I cant upload pics or videos and I dont get anybodies IMs. And now you cant get PRE replacements any more from Sprint. Its clear that Web-OS is dead and getting really moldy. Its time to bury it and finally buy a new phone. Sounds like the Galaxy S3 with Android is the way to go. Ill have to learn how to work it, but maybe with a phone that is truly supported, I can finally learn to use more of the smart features of a smartphone. With HP massively laying off people, no doubt most of the PALM team is already gone never to be seeing the PALM code again. Its a shame that the code wasnt released for developers to carry on, but the phone is just way too slow anyway. All the new phones just blow it away. So its adios to the whole Palm experiance. Unfortunately there wasnt a whole lot to it to miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by stts View Post
    ... Ive had the PRE for like 6 years ...

Ahhhhhhh, no. I don't think so. It was introduced to the world on June 6, 2009.

I know when you've had a phone that long, it may seem like an eternity, but it's only been 3 years.
    Well people, it's been fun.

I've been a member of this board since May of 2002. My first Palm device was the Palm IIIe. My latest (and current) the Pre (Sprint) and TouchPad. Even managed to get the wife on board with several Palm devices through the years - including a Pre and TouchPad. But she opted out for an iPhone 4s back at the end of her contract in January.

I on the other hand held out, with a determined grit that would not be extinguished (or so I thought) that I would rock "WebOS or Die". I let my contract expire and have been going month to month with my 1st-gen Pre in anticipation of something...anything that would give me hope for new hardware sporting WebOS.

Well, after several major glitches and bugs started recurring with my device, and being faced with the $100 protection plan deductible for replacing it with another piece of 2+ year old hardware, I finally came to the conclusion that it's time to move on.

I loath iOS, so they were never an option. And I never found solice with Android either. But I've seen enough now of this new Galaxy S3 coming out to be swayed into beleiving this is the next best thing to WebOS.

I'm not looking forward to toting around a gimungous 'phone booth' on my hip, but hey... It multi-tasks WAY better than iOS.

So, bottom line, I will be checking in on webOS Nation religiously to see when (and if) a device is about to emmerge with our beloved WebOS on it. But until that time, I'll be getting along the best I can with my new Galaxy S3. sniff-sniff.

So, if you see me walking by, WebOS, don't look, because you just might see me cry...

Much Love, WebOS! Much Love... BFF!
    Well written post. I keep saying i will pick up another Pre2 if my current one dies. I don't know now and rethinking it. My Pre2 is working great so unless some type of accident occurs i have a while before being forced to make a decision. My current plan is to hold on until Sept to see if anything happens after the open source is released.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Well written post. I keep saying i will pick up another Pre2 if my current one dies. I don't know now and rethinking it. My Pre2 is working great so unless some type of accident occurs i have a while before being forced to make a decision. My current plan is to hold on until Sept to see if anything happens after the open source is released.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Yep. And I just discovered yesterday that the Galaxy S3 was designed with built-in inductive charging - the ONLY other phone in the world besides our pace-setting WebOS devices with native inductive charging.

Only thing is it won't drop on the 21st with it. It won't be until around September that Samsung releases replacement phone back plates to enable the wireless charging on the device.

This is one of the core things about my Pre that I was really unhappy to give up. Because I've got Touchstones everywhere - including the car. It's great to see the Galaxy will 'carry the torch'. One article I read about the Galaxy's inductive feature even gave a much deserved nod to WebOS for having pioneered that innovation - which was very refreshing to see. I'm tired of WebOS innovations being ripped by others without reminding the world that, "HEY...WebOS INVENTED that feature!"

Check out the piece here: Samsung Galaxy S3 Release Countdown: Top 5 Innovative Features Explained - Mobile & Apps
    Well, I finally made it back to Spain to test my repaired Pre from a year ago.
    A little history is that I got a Goma Unlocked Pre when I was in Spain in 2009. It worked for a while then died and went to the repair centre, Came back and then died again and was back at the repair centre. Then it died again and was back on the repair centre. This was late 2010 and I think it was returned to me in 2011. I never had a chance to test it as each time it came back from the repair centre, it was locked to Movistar (Spanish carrier) and by this time I had left Spain.

So this week I return to Spain and get a Movistar sim to test - It has the same fault as when it was last shipped away. I called the repair centre and the first thing they tell me is that it is out of warranty. I tried explaining to them that it has continually been a problem and that it had probably spent more in the repair centre than it had actually working, but this falls on deaf ears. The repair warranty is only 90 days and therefore they will not cover it.

I can see their point, but given that this phone has never been reliable (they can see its call history) one would think that they could make an exception. I know that Palm would have, but HP are not Palm and have never really been all that god at customer service.

So sadly, the Palm Pre will be sent to my IT gadgets graveyard (unless someone wants to make me an offer for it).

So long all you WebOS die-hards and I hoe that it works out for you!
    Good luck all you Pre owners - may your Pre be reliable!

GR
    Spain
    If you are the type to hate, loathe, and despise the "Good-bye"
    posts some leave when they are switching platforms, please refrain
    from any "don't let the door hit you on your **** on the way out"
    comments and don't read any more... Good, the coast is clear now?

My history with Palm goes way back.
    Remember how Palm Pilots replaced paper "Daytimers" for many?
    I had an assortment of Palm PDA's and was thrilled to get my first smartphone,
    the Treo 650. Ahh, the TreoCentral days! I even replaced the screen when
    it was damaged. The Centro was next, with a better version of PalmOS, but
    lacking the big screen and SD card of the Treo.

The Palm Pre was scary, we didn't know if we'd like or hate the new WebOS.
    I had to wait for the Pre+ on Verizon, but got used to the new OS. All was well.
    I later moved up to a Palm Pre 2. Never got to see a Pre 3 in person.

Homebrew was a new, fantastic experience, thanks to the work of WebOS
    Internals and more makers of magic like Justin, Rod, etc. Tweaking the
    phone's software was something I was timid to do, but they made it very
    understandable and enjoyable. To make your phone your own, Yeah!
    I was happy to throw a few ducats their way when I could.

We all rode the emotional rollercoaster of Palm, would it die or be saved
    by a white knight? We all know how the Hurd/Leo/Whitman saga went.
    I wondered when the "final nail in the coffin" crowd would finally be right.
    I never got a Touchpad, and was concerned when manufacturing was shut down.

Lately, the open sourcing of WebOS was a bit hopeful, but still with no clear
    indication that new hardware would ever be made. More and more of the emphasis
    seemed to be on the hardware that I didn't have, and some beloved developers
    had to expand to Android & iOS. I do not blame them for that, no more than
    I blame Palm employees for moving to other employment. Some may be able to
    improve other systems, and let the legacy live on (Matias Duarte, & more).

So, I'm moving on to Android, with the pending arrival of my Samsung Galaxy SIII.
    While excited about some of what I am gaining (big screen, apps, microsd card,
    LTE speeds), I am sad for what I am losing.

Flashing Roms on Android seems scarrier, and the locked and encryped bootloader
    on Verizon's SIII may keep me stock for quite a while, if not forever. I know
    that XDA will work their butts off to improve the experience of users, but I'll
    miss the close-knit Homebrew community WebOS has.

The fragmentation in Android-Land is daughnting, and the green robot is a big
    target for nefarious virus problems, and lawsuits. Palm never seemed to have
    to deal with those threats too much, they were too small for others to worry about,
    I guess.

So why move? Frankly, I could probably soldier on for a bit more with my Palm,
    but Verizon has forced my hand. While this was not the ideal time for us to get
    new phones, losing unlimited data or phone subsidies made us make the jump sooner,
    rather than later. Wife wanted an iPhone or Android. She wanted more apps, and
    a physical keyboard (thus Stratosphere w/Android over the keyboardless iPhone).
    She moved from a Blackberry Curve, and who knows if RIM will be around much longer.
    I, of course, am coming from my beloved Palm. Android has a future. I hope WebOS does.

To hold onto unlimited data, it was the time.
    To not throw away one last sudsidy upgrade, had to do it immediately.
    New Shared Plans would be more money for us,
    and so we had to spend some money to save a lot more of it.

I know that the crew over at Android Central will be a big help in making the
    transition, but I don't want to leave without expressing appreciation for all
    of those here at WebOSNation, and PreCentral/TreoCentral before that.

My Pre2 will join the Pre+ as a kind of Chumby-Like, iTouchy WiFi device.
    I am eagerly awaiting the Samsung's inductive charger tech. I hope that
    it will be compatible with all the Touchstones I have around the house.
    I may have to do a mod to make that possible.

For all you soldiering on, I know that if WebOS is to be reborn, you will be
    the cause.

I will be checking back here to see if a dual-mode Jelly Bean/Open WebOS is
    in the cards (see what I did there) for the GIII.

For those who may move on from WebOS, know that SmartPhone Experts are just that.
    They have forums to make any transition, or just staying with WebOS, easier.
    I can't think of a better bunch to help anyone on any platform.

Thanks to each of you!
    All the best to Derek, Dieter before you, and all the staff, mods, and volunteers!

While it may seem like I'm throwing in the towel, Don't Panic!
    So Long, and Thanks for all the Fun!

duanedude1
    3Com Palm III/Palm IIIc/Palm Vx (Blue Claudia Schiffer Edition)
    Treo 650/Centro/Pre+/Pre2
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1445992/Other/PalmLegacy.JPG
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Usually I don't rant like this, but I think it's time. My new HTC Desire S is arriving soon, and my ol' Palm Pre will hit the shadowy parts of my drawers...

The issues? Awful battery life, slow startup time, awful build quality, cracking plastic, oreo effect, screen crack expanding from the USB port, screen touching itself, etc. etc. etc.

But I loved the concept. webOS was supposed to compete with other major mobile OSes of today, and I went through the trouble to buy a Pre even though it was not officially available where I live. It's multitasking abilities were all a geek like me could want. The synergy system looked like the next best thing since sliced bread. But the issues came along rapidly... I waited for some new apps, but they never came. I waited for some new devices to boost the dev crowd... nothing. I wanted to develop for webOS myself, but I saw it was simply not feasible. I was promised webOS 2.0, and got nothing. I had to flash it manually. I was promised AdobeFlash... still nothing. HP screwed up even more than I thought was possible. Even a little kid would manage this gem they had in their hands, but they managed to screw it up. Now, open sourced with very few brave souls to look after it, it's in a permanent limbo. An OS without a home. The app list in Preware and the AppCatalog is running dry... My phone is slower than any phone I've ever experienced, can't keep it open for too long because it starts touching itself and calling other people. I'm having issues entering my PIN code because the screen is constantly being "pressed" and am afraid my own phone will fry my SIM card. After being "up" for 2 days or more, the sound gets choppy, and I frequently see my ringtone get played as if it's a dubstep remix. I miss calls. I miss alarms and notifications. I miss text messages which were obviously sent to me. I can't open my contacts page because it's too choppy. I can't enable 3G because I frequently lose all signal. I can't turn on mobile data on EDGE because I got a huge bill for downloading 0.5GB of... I have no idea what, but if the battery hadn't drained on it's own, the bill I received would be much bigger. Turns out the backup feature has gone berserk and locks up the phone, and sends endless amounts of data... Now it's disabled. Even typing a text message is laggy and choppy. Taking a picture yields the "Cannot take picture" message. The new maps app is choppy, slow and useless. There's also no street view. The 3rd party replacement map from the appstore is dreadful. I frequently get the "phone offline" sign instead of my carrier sign and can't receive calls... sometimes it's not "phone offline", but "check SIM/SOS only". A restart solves that, but I have no idea why the hell does it happen at all.

This is no longer my phone... it's a nuisance. A good idea gone bad. This can't go on.
    I'm done.

If it weren't for the homebrew team and the good people from these forums, I would have bailed years ago... Actually, if it weren't for the homebrew team, I wouldn't have gotten a Pre in the first place. If it weren't for Uberkernel and Govnah, I would have plucked my hair out. Thank you all.

Also, thank you HP for letting these people down... screw you.

My Pre is joining my Palm M515, it's been fun.
    Last edited by bureX; 07/29/2012 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Added some, removed some...
    dignitary and spherelander like this.