Page 5 of 62 FirstFirst 123456789101555 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    i was a big pre fan, and i can honestly tell you the EVO and android made it feel like a toy! not to mention, i dont think sprint will carry the pre3 anyway, same form factor means same replacement rate!
    I'm no fan of the Pre (especially after having used it for a little over a year), but it's not fair to say same form factor means same replacement rate. The jury will be assembled whenever the Pre3 is released but it is very possible to have a similar form factor and vastly improve the overall build quality.

Still, I love my EVO and it's no moving parts (I don't count the kick stand), because I think sliders are generally bad. So I get what you are saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I'm no fan of the Pre (especially after having used it for a little over a year), but it's not fair to say same form factor means same replacement rate. The jury will be assembled whenever the Pre3 is released but it is very possible to have a similar form factor and vastly improve the overall build quality.

Still, I love my EVO and it's no moving parts (I don't count the kick stand), because I think sliders are generally bad. So I get what you are saying.
    You could be right about the improvements, but it's not a risk I'm willing to take.

NO MORE PHONES WITH MOVING PARTS! LOL

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    You could be right about the improvements, but it's not a risk I'm willing to take.

NO MORE PHONES WITH MOVING PARTS! LOL

Sent from my eVo
    And no removable parts either! I'm looking at you Veer.
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    I'm with you at this point. I'm going to wait until after MWC just in case some new hardware is announced for Sprint that completely blows everything out of the water, in which case I'll get in line and sign a new 2-year contract. Outside of that, I'm going to hit Craigslist and pick up an Evo or Evo Shift on cheap (my initial browsing shows I can get one for $270-$360) and bide my time with it while waiting for HP to get their act together.
    I hadn't thought of the Craigslist route for an EVO. I see a few around here going for $300 ish.

So if I called Sprint and tell them to switch me to an EVO, the extra $10 4G extortion fee won't be considered a new contract or something?
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwonka75 View Post
    I waited for this ! ! Nothing til summer plus we don't even know if anything is coming to Sprint ! ! What a kick in the face ! ! Upgrade here I come ! ! HELLO EVO ! !
    I feel you. I was getting the distinct impression we would be left out in the cold for more time than promised so I took a chance and jumped to T-Mobile for the Nexus S in January and haven't looked back since, well until the cr*p from yesterday's conference.

You won't be disappointed with the Android experience. Its not webOS for sure but truth be told, even though I thought I'd miss the cards and gestures big time, I haven't found myself accidentally swiping or longing for cards in any way.

My only gripes with Android are:

1) The Windows 95'esque gray buttons that appear from time to time throughout the OS (I'm running Gingerbread on a Nexus S"). At least they change color when you press them

2) By far and away the only regret since jumping ship...webOS homebrew. Android's homebrew community is good and very active but nothing beats the ease of use and installation of custom patches and themes that comes with the amazing webOS hombrew community. Not having an equivalent of Preware on Android is a huge pain in the rear.
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    I think it's going to be the HTC Thunderbolt for me. Sure HTC isn't the largest technology company in the galaxy, and they might not have HP's scale, but they seem to be able to deliver phones that work on a regular basis.
    Nothing to see here. Move along.
    @drew3sbs on twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    Not having an equivalent of Preware on Android is a huge pain in the rear.
    There is Preware on Android. But it is called "Android Market" instead.

All kidding aside, I haven't found anything that I needed to patch on Android and I can find fancy features for free or almost free in the market.

I think for me, free wifi tethering is about the only exception to the above.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    There is Preware on Android. But it is called "Android Market" instead.

Well its not the patches that I miss really, its the ease of use if I want to install something that is non stock. Not that installing a kernel in Android is terribly difficult but its not as brain dead simple and convenient as it is in Preware/webOS.

Well its not the patches that I miss really, its the ease of use if I want to install something that is non stock. Not that installing a kernel in Android is terribly difficult but its not as brain dead simple and convenient as it is in Preware/webOS.
    Eh once you root...its pretty simple.

Using Rom manager, i can change my room in about 10 minutes without being near a computer. I use titanium to back up all my apps and data to my SD card, then after i flash the rom, i download titanium and restore.

Painless once you get the necessary tools.
    Quote Originally Posted by timmo View Post
    Cool...thanks! Looks like a nice app. I'm still reading and learning about Android before I buy a device (leaning towards Epic 4G). I will miss the following webOS apps: Noted!, Done!, Notes, Scratchpad, Shopping Manager, Sports Live!.
    What Garret said is pretty true. This is what i use for a shopping list app:
    https://market.android.com/details?i...pons.GroceryIQ

Yeah, I can understand that. But what I'm saying is that aside from free wireless tethering, I haven't found a feature that I really needed that wasn't a simple app install away. There are benefits to rooting, sure, but I haven't needed to go the route in my time so far with the EVO.

With Android, getting something that is non-stock is usually simple because you are allowed to replace pretty much everything. Don't like the stock browser? Get one of many from the market. Don't like the email client, or keyboard or sms client? The market has more replacements than you can count. Want to replace the stock launcher? Market. Want to keep the stock launcher but augment it with some additional functionality? Market. Don't like pressing and holding the home button for task switching? Market to the rescue.

For every one of those replacements I've mentioned, there are free and almost free options available. Most options I've found are very well written (even the free ones).
    cnote1287 likes this.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    Eh once you root...its pretty simple.

Using Rom manager, i can change my room in about 10 minutes without being near a computer. I use titanium to back up all my apps and data to my SD card, then after i flash the rom, i download titanium and restore.

Painless once you get the necessary tools.
    I agree - I do all that too, pretty much to the letter with my Nexus S. But in my Pre days I simply opened Preware, and clicked on the kernel app and let the device do its thing. 5 minutes later (mostly due to the incredibly slow boot time of the Pre) I'm running a new kernel.

All that been said, taharka has a very good point...rooting isn't really necessary for an Android phone, not for features anyway. The only reason I rooted is so I could get the Voodoo sound enhancements (Samsung's audio drivers suck big time) and have the possibility of installing some ROMs further on down the road.
    Yeah thats true...the only reason i rooted was because iw as bored one day haha.

But titanium Backup is a great app even if you don't flash your rom. Never have to worry about losing my progress in a game or my notes or anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by stirling View Post
    I think it's going to be the HTC Thunderbolt for me. Sure HTC isn't the largest technology company in the galaxy, and they might not have HP's scale, but they seem to be able to deliver phones that work on a regular basis.
    I agree with you!! HTC phones just works and SenseUI is nice!! I have a HTC Droid Incredible and I just love it!!! I can keep this phone for years.

HTC is building an ecosystem. All the newer phones have access to HTC cloud.

I will get a new HTC phone when my contract is up and HTC ecosystem aloud communication between their phones and tablets. I believe that HTC will introduce this when they announce the HTC Flyer at MWC.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I am not trying to be a jerk. This is not a vitriolic thread to rant and rave about HP and how we've been treated as customers. But after many years of loyalty to Palm, I'm now using a Droid X and have been for about two weeks.

What's lost in all the hoopla of late is that Palm has a long history of crapping on customers or leaving them in the lurch. The Palm OS went for YEARS without an update or new major version release, while other platforms and smartphone manufacturers ramped up their development. I still look fondly at the Treo in my desk drawer and think of what could have been.

I love webOS. It is truly amazing. It is also irrelevant.

Having a Pre Plus on Big Red, I have a phone with a horrible GPS, a meager number of apps to choose from, and no future. Case in point: HanDBase. Dave Haupert is running a business, and he pours development dollars into the platform that will give him the biggest bang for the buck. HanDBase is available for Android, but in stripped-down form ... that is, until it reaches iPhone-esque user numbers. I suspect most developers are in this quandary with so many platforms available to end users, which means that you had better be using a device with a good user base or your App Catalog, App Store, Market, Whatever will never have much to choose from. Even if a developer writes for them all, app quality follows the dollars to be made.

This is huge.

I don't care how great an OS you have, if developers aren't actively writing apps for your device, it will eventually become a paperweight. And to be honest, as far as the OS goes, I don't find Android to be that much of a downgrade from webOS. There are things I miss about the Pre, don't get me wrong; but my overall satisfaction is much higher with the new device. Yeah, it was kind of cool when people would look at my Pre and ask "Hey, cool phone -- what is it?", but it wasn't so cool when I'd go into a VZW store and you couldn't buy accessories for your phone and no one cared that you were even one of their customers.

Having moved on to another device on another platform, it's not perfect -- there's always room for improvement as there is no 100% complete device. And there never will be ... I firmly believe in a quote I read a couple of years ago, that manufacturers aren't making phones for people who use them, but for people who review them. Agendus on the Treo rocked! But "smartphones" now don't even meet the level of a good PIM from several years ago. And yet, I can use my new device and get pinpoint GPS locks, listen to the radio, check my heart rate, and who knows what else is out there in the 200,000+ App Market.

I hope HP can reimagine Palm's place in the smartphone market, especially since it more or less created that market. It will seriously take 3 or 4 years for them to be anything more than the "Other" in the smartphone OS pie chart.

HP, you screwed up big time by jettisoning the loyal, devoted, and passionate group of Palm users that had been assembled over the years. You bought the company for $1.2Bn, and you obviously valued the user community at $0.00.

Good luck starting from scratch in a crowded market.
    I'm sure you are feeling jilted like many of us are. I respect your decision, and I wish you the best and hope maybe one day you come back!

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    I wish there was a "goodbye thread" Oh yeah, there is...

It's called "general Pre complaints." Poor NNNewmannnn is gonna be busy merging all the rants and goodbyes.

Personally, though, I love the form factor, and I'm excited to retire my Pre and move forward with a Pre 3 and a TouchPad this Summer.

I know some feel like the 17 year old that got "stood up for the prom", and they need to vent before they leave.

It's ok, we understand. ;-) please just don't "slobber" all over the coffee table, use a tissue, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    I'm sure you are feeling jilted like many of us are. I respect your decision, and I wish you the best and hope maybe one day you come back!
    It's been a way of life with Palm - a true roller coaster. Big promises, big build up, no delivery since about 2004 ... hmmm when Tood Bradley took over Palm as CEO. Coincidence?
    Well, it pains me, but I have made the decision to jump ship to an andriod phone. I think WebOS is great, but the fact that the Pre+ will not get the 2.0 update is a huge slap in the face after months and months of saying it is coming. Good luck HP. Maybe someday I will come back to WebOS.

Now the tough decision...get the HTC Thunderbolt in a couple weeks or wait for one of the dual core phones like the Bionic...???
    Don't let the door hit ya on the way out ! And you will be welcomed back when you get here !

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->