Page 49 of 62 FirstFirst ... 39444546474849505152535459 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    there is a goodbye thread. it's huge. like over 9,000 pages long
    He couldn't find it using Bing ... Ba dum tshh!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    <thread merged>
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I am so sick of the lack of app options for palm pre. If I had an android or iphone or even windows I would have more choices for the apps that were important to me. I have no app for BigOven, I can't get the weight watchers app, I can't use body bugg. Nobody makes apps for Palm. Now, I can download the app Paid to Poo. Explain why someone would take the time to make that ridiculous app available and not any of the others. I have owned a palm for 7-8 years, starting with a Treo. I liked it so much that I went with the Palm Pre over a Droid. I liked the sleek feel, the size and the real keyboard. However, I dare say that I would have gotten much more use out of the Droid phone. It is just so frustrating to remain true to a brand and get nothing in return. I cannot wait for my next upgrade so I can switch over to what the rest of the world is using.

Finally had to vent!

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RMoers View Post
    I am so sick of the lack of app options for palm pre. If I had an android or iphone or even windows I would have more choices for the apps that were important to me. I have no app for BigOven, I can't get the weight watchers app, I can't use body bugg. Nobody makes apps for Palm. Now, I can download the app Paid to Poo. Explain why someone would take the time to make that ridiculous app available and not any of the others. I have owned a palm for 7-8 years, starting with a Treo. I liked it so much that I went with the Palm Pre over a Droid. I liked the sleek feel, the size and the real keyboard. However, I dare say that I would have gotten much more use out of the Droid phone. It is just so frustrating to remain true to a brand and get nothing in return. I cannot wait for my next upgrade so I can switch over to what the rest of the world is using.

Finally had to vent!

Guess that means your not a true fan, lame; I had an Android and an iPhone, Gave the iPhone to my GFand sold the Android so i could buy a Palm Pre 2, so what if it doesn't have apps, I dont need them to get through my day. but the OS and the phone just feels so right, I dont feel the same way about any other phone I've ever used. it just feels right.
    Are you honestly surprised? HP is not making webOS devices anymore, the future for the system as a whole is bleak...if you really want another phone so bad just go buy one without an upgrade. A lot of the times it's not as expensive as people think unless you want the absolute latest and greatest phone. In the end, it's just a phone.
    I am, therefore I think
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    why bother with apps when you got preware. thats all i need !
    If you dont want voice dial, do this in terminal

novacom -t open tty://
    mount -o remount,rw /
    ipkg remove pmvoicecommand
    rm -r /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.sysapp.voicedial/
    mount -o remount,ro /
    reboot
    For the most part, I don't want the apps that are available on all the other platforms. I don't need a million different games that are all reskins of some other game.

I haven't really explored the app market on my Pre phones yet, but here's what I USE on my TouchPad:

Kindle, Kindle Import, Glimpse, WeatherBug, TrendStalker, Pack n Track, QR Decoder, GVoice, Pandora, At Bat 11, Vorlauf, Seahorss, Sporting News Baseball, CBS Sports, News Republic, webOS News, Red It, Sports Calendar Free, WordPress, DataJog, Flivr, Communities, wIRC, Spaz HD, Splashtop

Phone apps I use on my TouchPad:

TimeTracker, Foursquare, FML, Evernote

I have some 150 other apps that I hardly ever use.

Some are only available on webOS. The only one that I know of that is inferior to it's other platform versions is Foursquare.

Apps that I use on my iPod:

Sleep, Foursquare, MobileRSS, XKCD, Google+, Words with Friends, OKCupid.

I have another dozen or so apps on the iPod that I never even look at.

Anyway, if we can't convince the major manufacturers of apps to make their apps available in webOS versions, then we need to get the webOS devs that do exist to make our own versions of them.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by RMoers View Post

Finally had to vent!

i feel your pain. apps where a big deal to me. but they are never coming. people have complained about apps, made app request threads up the a hole. there was a thread where some guy asked for app ideas. i listed like 70 apps and quickly realized the only thing the author could make was novelty apps not the major apps i listed. So i suggest you change platforms if apps are important because random allegiance to a brand seems foolish. it's a tool for a job. pick the best tool for you. But apps are not gonna come. And especially now. i saw a gartner smartphone report and webos marketshare did not even register above one percent in the smartphone share. it wasn't even on the list. it was apparently part of other. So with that and the fact that there are no phones coming anytime soon on webos you're not gonna see a lot of apps. It's just the way it is. Nobody in precentral will agree with you. They'll just tell you why you're wrong to want what you want and wrong to not not want apps like them or wrong to not be a love palm unconditionally. my suggestion is quit. go buy a phone you that does what you want.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 11/18/2011 at 12:13 AM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    LinuxKoss likes this.
    I won't say anyone's wrong for wanting what they want, but I will point out that the vast majority of the iTunes store is so-called "novelty" apps and "match the cake" kinds of games.

I look at the top 25 apps in each category on iOS regularly, and on 99% of them, I wonder "who the hell would want that?" ..
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    we'll for me i don't care what the vast majority of apps for ios, android or webos are or the top 25. I'm sure twitter is a top downloaded app. or at least top over all. But i don't use twitter so it's not important. But i go to Starbucks all the time. Starbucks app. I have lots of Brazilian friends but i don't speak Portuguese so wordlens would be handy so i could figure out what they hell they are saying on facebook. I'd like to try Infinity Blade. I have 15k songs uploaded to google music. An app would be nice. I'm debating between subsonic and AudioGalaxy so it would be nice to have an app to test both. And roughly 40 other apps like the above on one platform and not another.

For me there is only one question: Does the OS have the apps i want. For some i'm sure the answer for webos is yes. For me and i'd guess most people the answer is a resounding no. And worse it's not likely a situation that will change. When i got my pre minus i expected that all the major companies would make webos apps. It just never really happened for them.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    LinuxKoss likes this.
    By no choice of my own, I have switched to the Blackberry Torch 9850. See, our work decided that the remote wipe capabilities of ActiveSync aren't up to their security standards, so they turned it off. That means my only way to stay connected with the office is to use a company provided device running on the Good Enterprise messaging platform.

So far I'm pleasantly surprised at how non-blackberry like the 9850 feels and looks. The OS isn't bad, but it is taking some getting used to. I find myself wanting to swipe everywhere and pull up card view to switch apps. I also miss the notifications terribly.

Needless to say, I am quite sad to see my FrankenPre 2 be a hand-me-down to my daughter. At least I still have my TouchPad.

Thanks to all the support the community has provided which has helped make my Palm phone experience outstanding. *cheers*
    Pilot 1000 > PalmPilot Pro > Handspring Visor > Treo 700p > XV6700 > HTC-6800 > Pre- > FrankenPre2
    jp99 likes this.
    I'm sorry to say that this week my wife and I retired our Palm Pre Plus phones and moved to Android. She's using a Droid X and I'm using a Droid 2 Global. Both are running Gingerbread and are unrooted.

WARNING - This is a long and rambling post without a lot of structure. Sorry - it's a vent not an essay.

So far - it's a mixed bag. I miss tons of things about the way the Pre works that isn't how Android works. Most of the annoyances come from multitasking and UI features pertaining to that. I absolutely HATE that Android apps don't always save their state even when they don't run in the background and some of the apps require that if I switch away - I lose everything I have done and have to redo it. This isn't always the case - but it happens enough that I am gunshy already and feel compelled to NOT switch until I'm done with an app.

Other problems - occasional force close errors. Screen mysteriously goes dark (in pocket sensor blamed) when I hold it the wrong way. Bluetooth pairing problems with my BlueParrott Xpressway (works but quirky - this BT headset works with my iPhone and Pre without problems).

Otherall I have to say Android is the erector set of phone OS's. You can make it do a lot of cool stuff - but it is rough around the edges. The app selection is good - the phones we have are well built - battery life is good; but overall polish is missing.

It's funny - I used to think the Pre Plus lag was a webOS thing. I see lag on my iPhone (not as often) and my Android devices (again not as often but the D2G is running at 1.2Ghz!) I used to think that only webOS crashed - but Android on my D2G (gingerbread OTA updated) is crashing far more often than my Pre Plus ever did.

Cool features like CAR DOCK mode are no brainers and should be in webOS. Key apps like Netflix, SoundHound, up to date Angry Birds, etc make the transition tolerable - but JUST barely.

Email - while threaded - is far harder to configure and manage on the Android than on iPhone or Pre.

Since I got my Android devices used - and I have a work iPhone I'm comparing the two constantly and wondering if I should go iPhone despite the total lack of customization. But then I look at my wife's Droid X - 4.3" screen and I think wow - I wish the iPhone had that. And I would covert the SD card option. And HDMI out. And... and... and...

ARGH - where's the perfect smartphone when you need it! Pre 3 was a good start - why o' why didn't it work out.

EDIT: More

Pandora on the Pre is more advanced than on the latest Droid. You can not save a song to your profile for later purchase!

MOST ANNOYING PART
    Total fragmentation. This includes Android Central which is very specific to models rather than overall OS. It's frustrating beyond frustrating.

webOS needs a good virtual keyboard also. I use my D2G keyboard but I ALSO use the virtual one. I found both have their times of strength.
    Last edited by Unclevanya; 11/21/2011 at 10:39 AM.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Over the last couple months I noticed performance slowing down on my Pre+ and intended to install webOS 2.0 to see if that would help. Unfortunately, my USB port died and I could get nothing on or off the device. Thank goodness for the Touchstone to charge. I love portrait physical keyboards and there just are not that many outside of Blackberry. Having a company issued Blackberry for years there was no way I was going to get one for myself. Since my contract is not up, I bought a used Droid Pro from Gazelle (highly recommend) and took a 2 minute trip to Verizon for them to swap my account to the Droid. 5 minutes after I got home Gingerbread dropped and I was set. I have had a Xoom since launch and most of my apps were waiting for me in the Android Market and Amazon Appstore. Clearly webOS has a more graceful design than Gingerbread but having a solidly built device with working keys and endless apps is nice. I do intend to poke back here once in a while to see what is happening in the webOS scene. It is a pitty that it is coming to an end.
    Netflix, thank you for not getting this app out.. thanks for saving me money on top of that. If it were not for you ignoring us I wouldn't have happened on this great change.

I'm already paying the local blockbuster for the movie pass, but I get three additional mos for free and 200 credit on amazon for signing up on dishnetwork. I now have a DVR, better looking tv and will be saving on my cable bill. Free install w/ the 720 dual dvr, and two hd boxs on the other two TV's.. and one SD out to spare or go to my PC.. granted a 2yr contract but WAY worth it. Even access to EPIX w/ the blockbuster pass.

I'm watching tv ep's right now and have access to the 10,000 tv shows online 'dishonline' they have, and as soon as my sling adapter is in I'm pretty sure I will have access to the 120 live channels on top of that Seems as long as you can do flash you can watch. .

<staff edit>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/25/2011 at 10:26 PM.
    <thread merged>
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    i'm going to be new to the android collective on monday. two years and a million hours with webOS, i'm already missing her. but I do not have the desire or time to have to deal with issues via frankenpre'ing a phone. I've been a car guy doing my own work for years, and as I approach 40 years old, I find somethings, while I'm capable of doing mysellf, I shouldn't spend time on... I've found that the time is more wisely spent earning money to provide for my family or spending time with those I love and doing things I love outside of my home office.

sigh, alas, WebOS, i'm moving on. I will come back to your loving clutches, for it is your soft carress I miss so much, your inviting tug that excites me so... but I am just so unsure if we'll ever see eachother again....

Oh, and I'm on and sticking with Sprint, so GSM options aren't viable.

and I bought a motorola Photon4g...

and I ate too much turkey yesterday.

but I still think of you romantically my darling pre... and just in case she shows up, please forgive me if I fancy your younger sister.

the end.

p.s. Palm is dead.
    p.s.s. Long live the Palm
    p.s.s.ss. Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.
    p.m.s. I like phones with names of body parts, but not names of fruits.
    Last edited by ricomann; 11/25/2011 at 05:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ricomann View Post
    i'm going to be new to the android collective on monday. two years and a million hours with webOS, i'm already missing her. but I do not have the desire or time to have to deal with issues via frankenpre'ing a phone. I've been a car guy doing my own work for years, and as I approach 40 years old, I find somethings, while I'm capable of doing mysellf, I shouldn't spend time on... I've found that the time is more wisely spent earning money to provide for my family or spending time with those I love and doing things I love outside of my home office.

sigh, alas, WebOS, i'm moving on. I will come back to your loving clutches, for it is your soft carress I miss so much, your inviting tug that excites me so... but I am just so unsure if we'll ever see eachother again....

Oh, and I'm on and sticking with Sprint, so GSM options aren't viable.

and I bought a motorola Photon4g...

and I ate too much turkey yesterday.

but I still think of you romantically my darling pre... and just in case she shows up, please forgive me if I fancy your younger sister.

the end.

p.s. Palm is dead.
    p.s.s. Long live the Palm
    p.s.s.ss. Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.
    p.m.s. I like phones with names of body parts, but not names of fruits.
    Come join us other refuges over in Android Central, where you will find a lot of people who made the same move.
    I finally bit the bullet and replaced the pres on my family. Amazons 1 cent phones was too tempting. I bought and returned a andriod phone last month and went back to my pre only to find out they're now charging me a $10 data charge. The pres were starting to be non responsive. Picked up a samsung galaxy s2 and evo 3D for a grand total of 2 cent.
    Hi everyone,

It is with a heavy heart that I announce that I am giving up as a Palm smartphone user and defecting to Android when the Galaxy Nexus drops on Verizon. My VZW Pre Plus gave up the ghost 2 weeks ago with the dreaded "Phone Offline" unresolvable state issue. Since that time I have been using my wife's Pixi. Its a stop gap solution until the Galaxy Nexus arrives.

I've been a Palm guy since having a Sony color PDA with PalmOS. Its tough to watch such an innovative company be swallowed up and put out to pasture in an industry that helped to create. I'll never forgive HP for *******izing the legacy of Palm in consumer's eyes.

I honestly feel disappointed about leaving the platform. It should have been more than what it became. As a consumer, I can't justify blind allegiance to a defunct product out of emotion. I take some solace in knowing that Ice Cream Sandwich has webOS DNA in it through the influence of Mattias Duarte.

Thanks for everything PreCentral. This has been a great community. I'll probably still poke around here every now and then since I still have my TouchPad.
    Makes sense as there are no new phones for webOS. Enjoy your new phone and look forward to seeing you come back and visit.

ps I still like the Pre2 though and it can be found for cheap on ebay if you decide you miss webOS.