Page 47 of 62 FirstFirst ... 37424344454647484950515257 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Hey, that post above was art. It was not a "complaint/farewell" post.
    I was laughing inside when I read it. No, really....I was!
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    It sounds like entitlement to me. Why else would you feel "alienated" by HP for throwing out limited use promo codes into the wild on a predictable interval for users to redeem on a first come first serve basis?
    Ok, lets play a little multiple choice game to try and help you understand.

Lets say you and your family (just pretend you have one if you dont) are watching TV and you see the "The McRib is back for a limited time!!" commercial from McDonald's and suddenly eveyrbody wants one. So, you get the kids all dressed and in to the car and drive fast to the nearest McDonalds. You go to place your family's order and the girl (that love's to see you smile!) tells you "Oh, sorry. We only had a few of those and they were gone 90 seconds after the commercial aired..."

Do you:

a) Say "Oh ok, just give us some Big Macs instead"

or

b) Say "w-t-f ever" and go across the street to Wendys?

If you answered "b" for any reason other than some previous bias against Wendys, then you are just part of the huge "sheep" mental that plagues this country.

disclaimer: The above was purely for demonstration. I do not in any way condone feeding one's family anything from either McDonalds or Wendys.
    McRib isn't free and you have to go to Micky D's to get one. And I have driven to KFC for similar deals and found they were out. I wasn't thrilled but got over it. Promo codes are free and you all you have to do is paste a code to try. Kinda like a scratch off lottery ticket. Not complaining doesn't make me or others sheep and visa versa, I just got bigger fish to fry.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccx View Post
    no, but hp should be smart enough to not send out a mass email with the same redundant codes to every person. at the very least they should make the code unique and only randomly send them out to however many allotted codes they have for that app. if its only 100 or 1000 they should just randomly send out that many.
    I think they should stagger them over several hours or a few days. The email comes out around 2-3, I dont get off work until 7 now. I'm glad they change the days up. Sometimes they come on my day off. I've only gotten in on codes once or twice. I really did want the Dr Seuss tho. I'll probably end up buying Oh, the places you'll go!
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahhk View Post
    Ok, lets play a little multiple choice game to try and help you understand.

Lets say you and your family (just pretend you have one if you dont) are watching TV and you see the "The McRib is back for a limited time!!" commercial from McDonald's and suddenly eveyrbody wants one. So, you get the kids all dressed and in to the car and drive fast to the nearest McDonalds. You go to place your family's order and the girl (that love's to see you smile!) tells you "Oh, sorry. We only had a few of those and they were gone 90 seconds after the commercial aired..."

Do you:

a) Say "Oh ok, just give us some Big Macs instead"

or

b) Say "w-t-f ever" and go across the street to Wendys?
    I think a more accurate analogy would be if they offered the McRib free for the fisrt 1,000 customers. After that you have to pay.

That's essentially what happened today. They offered promo codes for 4 apps that could be redeemed up to 1,000 times(or whatever number it was). If you used the code too late, and still wanted the app, you had to pay for it instead of getting it free.

Now how many of you would still buy the McRib if the first 1,000 free ones were gone????
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    texasflood

Your username alone suggests you live in a fantasy world....hehe
    I think a more accurate analogy would be if they offered the McRib free for the fisrt 1,000 customers. After that you have to pay.

That's essentially what happened today. They offered promo codes for 4 apps that could be redeemed up to 1,000 times(or whatever number it was). If you used the code too late, and still wanted the app, you had to pay for it instead of getting it free.

Now how many of you would still buy the McRib if the first 1,000 free ones were gone????
    If the McRib was free and I was driving by I might stop by if I had time. Wouldn't make a special trip for free or not. Maybe for some yummy real ribs, but not Micky D fake ribs. I'd rather have the southern chicken sandwich, that's not bad IMHO.
    SmartFah likes this.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post

Ok, I'll play along. But HP didn't say "limited to 1000" so you would need to drop that part. And, behind the scenes make it the first 1000 total sold at ALL McDonalds in the U.S. Then, it would be more accurate.

The first person at only about 8% of the McDonalds would get one.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    You're kidding right? I don't even know what that's supposed to mean, except you've given up debating and turned to personal attacks.
    I was trying to be funny there. texas...flood. We're having the worse drought on record.

Get it? Or do I need ANOTHER analogy?
    Ok, I'll play along. But HP didn't say "limited to 1000" so you would need to drop that part. And, behind the scenes make it the first 1000 total sold at ALL McDonalds in the U.S. Then, it would be more accurate.

The first person at only about 8% of the McDonalds would get one.
    Replace "limited to 1000" with "The promo codes above will expire on 11/09/11 at 10:59 pm PST. Promo codes are available for as long as inventories last." that has been attached to every promo offer to my knowledge.
    I was trying to be funny there. texas...flood. We're having the worse drought on record.

Get it? Or do I need ANOTHER analogy?
    Sorry, I didn't get it. My bad, I stand corrected. I know it's dry there, I was just there last week. I'd be glad to trade the snow I just got dumped on me though, And unfortunately a drought can really make you vulnerable to damage from a flash flood like I saw just a few years ago near San Antonio.
    Replace "limited to 1000" with "The promo codes above will expire on 11/09/11 at 10:59 pm PST. Promo codes are available for as long as inventories last." that has been attached to every promo offer to my knowledge.
    True, but when have you ever known a promo code to last a week. Even if the app is not that popular it's gone before the day is out. All people need to hear is that it's "free" and everyone wants a copy.
    Oh sure, you're right. That date I'm sure is there for legal reasons and is meaningless.
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    True, but when have you ever known a promo code to last a week. Even if the app is not that popular it's gone before the day is out. All people need to hear is that it's "free" and everyone wants a copy.
    True, but when have you ever, with any promo code from any company, seen one last under 5 minutes from the time the promo code is released? I've never seen it. By stating that the promo code is good up to a week makes it appear as if they are giving out so many that the time could expire before the promo codes are used up.

They should put in the email exactly how many are being put out, not alluding to some large promotion that the average person could get but in reality only a miniscule of people would get. Like I said, they should just do discounts on apps instead to get more people to buy the apps and the devs also get their money too. It's win-win and you don't have any of these threads popping up.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I'm glad HP is doing what they are... for both developers and users. They don't have to do it. For people complaining about not getting the codes in time, all I can say is: sour grapes.
    And all I can say is fat chance I'll buy your app now, funny thing is I was actually thinking about buying that app and I don't care if you believe me or not BTW it's not sour grapes, it's crappy customer service, I was ant my pc when the email came in, I went right to the app store, and the app I wanted was gone by the time I entered my password and the app promo code. Why bother sending these alerts as an email? They could just put them on their facebook page as they would be gone just as fast.

I have an HP PC, Laptop, Printer, and a TP, and I'll be damned if I ever buy another HP product.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Couchpotatoslacker View Post
    And all I can say is fat chance I'll buy your app now, funny thing is I was actually thinking about buying that app and I don't care if you believe me or not BTW it's not sour grapes, it's crappy customer service, I was ant my pc when the email came in, I went right to the app store, and the app I wanted was gone by the time I entered my password and the app promo code. Why bother sending these alerts as an email? They could just put them on their facebook page as they would be gone just as fast.

I have an HP PC, Laptop, Printer, and a TP, and I'll be damned if I ever buy another HP product.
    I just PM'd you a promo. Only you. You can use it or post it back here.
    It's good for one use.

And in case you don;t like the promo code...
    http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/...d/untitled.jpg

P.S. Bil the cat ruled in his day!
    Last edited by twack; 11/04/2011 at 09:28 PM.
    TWack
    On my 4G TouchPad, Pre3 or Panda-Veer.
    If you like our patches, please consider donating to the cause.

|wackware|google+|facebook|twitter|shortcut|mylo|multiapp|flashfile|donate|
    After reading some of these comments I'm convinced some people will never be happy. I mean, HP could probably give you the entire app catalog for free, and people will still complain:

- Why didn't HP do this sooner, I already wasted $5 on apps these past few months when I could have gotten them free!!!

- Why did they sell me a 16gb TouchPad, I can't fit the entire app catalog on my 16gb TP! They should have only sold 32gb & 64gb TouchPad's if they were gonna give away the entire app catalog for us to download! This is Bull

- You mean we have to download all these free apps!!! Why couldn't they just pre-load them on the TouchPad's. They should have known we would want to try all these free apps, why put us through the trouble of downloading all these apps.

Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah Blah! Is what it sounds like to me.

Please stop complaining guys, they're just apps & it's just a tablet.

If these apps were really that important you would have paid the money & downloaded them before they were given away as promo codes.
    It has been a while since I've been back here. I remember when I would check the forums like clockwork so I wouldn't miss any new tidbit of info regarding webOS. Always anticipating the next Easter egg gem that some dev (or even better, Palm) would bestow upon us to confirm our belief that webOS was truly the best OS. Aftter moving on to Android & iOS I see that they are way more polished than webOS. But, while they work like they are supposed to, iOS and Android are just so boring. I was passionate about webOS. Android and iOS are just my phone and tablet, not my passion. I bet there are others that feel the same way. I wonder what it was that made me so obsessed with webOS? Its like that girlfriend you broke up with because you had to move on, but there was something so special about her that you'll just never forget. In the back of your mind you wonder if you'll ever reunite. OK had too many beers and I'm drunk dialing my ex operating system. Good night now!!!
    Furuboru and SunnyPhono like this.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Sorry, I didn't get it. My bad, I stand corrected. I know it's dry there, I was just there last week. I'd be glad to trade the snow I just got dumped on me though, And unfortunately a drought can really make you vulnerable to damage from a flash flood like I saw just a few years ago near San Antonio.
    I wrongfully ASSumed you were from Texas (by your username) and figured you'd get it if you were. Whoops.

Flash floods we can handle. And as such, Im sure the vast majority of Texans would take the flash floods at this point :0
    I wrongfully ASSumed you were from Texas (by your username) and figured you'd get it if you were. Whoops.

Flash floods we can handle. And as such, Im sure the vast majority of Texans would take the flash floods at this point :0
    Well I grew up in Texas and would be there still but had to follow the work so I could feed my family. It's actually a reference to a Stevie Ray Vaughn album, I used to watch him in Austin, saw more than one show near where there is a statue of him now on the bank of the Colorado river. The flash floods I am remembering swept away cars, and people, not fun at all.