Page 46 of 62 FirstFirst ... 36414243444546474849505156 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dgcorn View Post
    Other than the Green Eggs & Ham app promo that I downloaded 30 seconds ago, I have not been able to get an app promo code to work. I am not sure what the point of the promo codes are, who pays for the free apps (HP or the Developers), but I am hard pressed to believe the limited promo codes has the desired positive effect.
    My take on it is that the promo codes serve two main purposes:

- Keep developers interested in webOS. HP pays the developers for each download, so these promo giveaways serve as a reward to developers who are releasing apps on the platform.

- By sending out these promos, HP is keeping their app catalog in the minds of all the TouchPad consumers. It may get people browsing in the catalog who may not normally do so. This benefits developers and also helps HP keep webOS in the minds of the consumers.

Last year there was a 50% off app sale in which I purchased several relatively expensive apps which I probably wouldn't have purchased otherwise. I can't remember if that was Palm or HP, but I am sure there were a bunch of apps sold. As far as I know, that promotion was mutually beneficial to the company, the developer, and the purchaser. I wish they would do something similar again.
    It was a very good promotion. If memory serves me right it was Palm, not HP.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Best topic title EVA!
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    One of my apps, Music Player (Remix), was given away a few weeks ago. I won't provide specific numbers (I prefer not to discuss sales figures publicly), but it's more than 1000.
    Yep, this is one that I missed. There have been a few good ones that I was not able to get. Now, I just use the same fire and desire I had when I was trying to get a touchpad.

I have purchased a few apps too, even a some that I missed.
    Last edited by Squatting Hen; 11/04/2011 at 04:56 PM.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    My take on it is that the promo codes serve two main purposes:

- Keep developers interested in webOS. HP pays the developers for each download, so these promo giveaways serve as a reward to developers who are releasing apps on the platform.

- By sending out these promos, HP is keeping their app catalog in the minds of all the TouchPad consumers. It may get people browsing in the catalog who may not normally do so. This benefits developers and also helps HP keep webOS in the minds of the consumers.
    Both of those purposes could be met w/o the alienation factor. One quick example might be:

"Here's a list of the 'cool apps of the month' and click here to enter for a chance to win one of 100 free app codes!"

Do I really need to give a couple dozen more examples?
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Couchpotatoslacker View Post
    Why bother sending the codes if they are used up as soon as I get the mail? No wonder HP is going to hell in a handbasket! /rant off
    Don't be a couchpotatoslacker and you might get in on the codes.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatting Hen View Post
    It's not HP's fault the codes get posted everywhere
    Actually, yes it is. Online promo/coupon/link sharing is FAR from being a "new but rare occurrence". They knew it would happen just like every other company that puts out online promos.

That's like me saying its not my fault that my expensive sports car was stolen because I left it abandoned and running with the stereo cranked and windows down....in a really bad part of town.

What? No way! When did people start stealing cars?? <gasp>
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Last year there was a 50% off app sale in which I purchased several relatively expensive apps which I probably wouldn't have purchased otherwise. I can't remember if that was Palm or HP, but I am sure there were a bunch of apps sold. As far as I know, that promotion was mutually beneficial to the company, the developer, and the purchaser. I wish they would do something similar again.
    I think this is the route they should take. Get rid of the promos and do that. That way people pay a smaller amount up front, they'll use it, and the devs get their money....WIN/WIN. The current system just frustrates a majority of customers. To put it in perspective, it'd be like Best Buy doing a Black Friday sale and they only had 2 of each "door buster" available. Yeah, Best Buy doesn't owe the customer anything and they followed the rules but it'll leave a vast amount of disenfranchised customers.

Promo codes that hardly anyone gets isn't going to save WebOS, it's getting as many apps at a good price to customers so they don't feel the need to move to Android when ICS comes out. Music Remix might be a good app but get it onto the tablets of Touchpad users and you have one less reason to move to Android to get one of the very good free apps, like Doubletwist, Winamp, Mixzing, Cubed, etc. or get the best music player on any platform in Poweramp. If people already have a good player on the Touchpad then that's one less reason to move to Android. The window is open for only so long before ICS is available on the Touchpad and HP needs to make the customers feel that they have enough invested in apps on the Touchpad to not need to install Android.

On one other thing, I see the 1/2 million Touchpad numbers being thrown out and I thought it was more like over a million have been sold so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahhk View Post
    Both of those purposes could be met w/o the alienation factor. One quick example might be:

"Here's a list of the 'cool apps of the month' and click here to enter for a chance to win one of 100 free app codes!"

Do I really need to give a couple dozen more examples?
    I'm glad HP is doing what they are... for both developers and users. They don't have to do it. For people complaining about not getting the codes in time, all I can say is: sour grapes.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Tikerz and SmartFah like this.
    Sorry, but how much longer are you going to keep using the "I don't think anyone could have anticipated the Slickdeals affect"?

The SD affect is NOT new. Or are you suggesting that HP is too new a company for any one of them to have heard of SD (or any of the <cough> many others) yet?

Just wonderin'....
    Not new and not just slickdeals. As I have previously pointed out a number of times, there are at least a dozen similar sites.

I'm glad HP is doing what they are... for both developers and users. They don't have to do it. For people complaining about not getting the codes in time, all I can say is: sour grapes.
    Yep, seems like a good thing, even when I miss out. Don't see how can freebies, even limited freebies, keeping the software market cooking be a bad thing. Sure I don't like it when I miss out on freebies, nobody does.
    Personally I like the app give-a-ways even tho I only get 10% of them or less. Most of the time they are gone but nothing lost. There is always the next round of free apps to look forward to.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wings View Post
    Personally I like the app give-a-ways even tho I only get 10% of them or less. Most of the time they are gone but nothing lost. There is always the next round of free apps to look forward to.
    I agree.

Free stuff isn't always easy to get.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    I'd have to say that a company which is based on brand-awareness and reputation can have their bottom line seriously affected by "sour grapes". Sure, it's impossible to please everyone. But it's also quite easy to avoid the rotten fruit.

2 minutes? Really?
    Global Posts
    519 Global Posts
    We're looking at it from the angle of, "I'm too poor to purchase any of the apps so it upsets me that I missed an opportunity to get something for FREE. I blame HP for not giving enough codes."

HP is trying to help developers by getting a group of people who normally wouldn't buy the application to try it and maybe post a positive review or spread recommendations by word of mouth. They're certainly not thinking of all of us poor webOS users who can't afford a $0.99 app and deciding to be charitable.
    Actually, yes it is. Online promo/coupon/link sharing is FAR from being a "new but rare occurrence". They knew it would happen just like every other company that puts out online promos.

That's like me saying its not my fault that my expensive sports car was stolen because I left it abandoned and running with the stereo cranked and windows down....in a really bad part of town.

What? No way! When did people start stealing cars?? <gasp>
    Ye--no. No, those two things are nothing alike...

Are you one of the people that feels they are 'entitled' to all the Black Friday deals at all the stores because they were in the ads even though they are 'limited quantity'?

HP isn't responsible for the "Slickdeals effect", users are responsible for that.
  15.    #915  
    <<threads merged>>
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
  16.    #916  
    **NOTE**

Please discuss HP, devices, software, etc... personal comments/attacks will not be tolerated. These forums are about the product, not the members. Thank you.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Ye--no. No, those two things are nothing alike...

Are you one of the people that feels they are 'entitled' to all the Black Friday deals at all the stores because they were in the ads even though they are 'limited quantity'?

HP isn't responsible for the "Slickdeals effect", users are responsible for that.
    Actually, I hardly claim entitlement and I avoid BF like the plague. But nice try.

And I'm sorry you can't see HP's responsibility. They knew about it in advance and they did it anyway when they COULD have worked around it. You see no responsibility in that? Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    "Besides, how many of the promo code apps would you really use???
    Exactly!"

I would have used Green Eggs and Ham

I would have fed it to my fish
    I would have dunked it in my dish
    I would have read it to my Rish
    One promo code is all I wished
    Hey, that post above was art. It was not a "complaint/farewell" post.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikerz View Post
    We're looking at it from the angle of, "I'm too poor to purchase any of the apps so it upsets me that I missed an opportunity to get something for FREE. I blame HP for not giving enough codes."

HP is trying to help developers by getting a group of people who normally wouldn't buy the application to try it and maybe post a positive review or spread recommendations by word of mouth. They're certainly not thinking of all of us poor webOS users who can't afford a $0.99 app and deciding to be charitable.
    It has nothing to do with not getting something for free. It wouldnt make a difference if it instead was BOGO, 10% off, or a limited "signed by the dev" edition at 5x the normal price.

It also has nothing to do with supporting the devs or not.

It is the idea of sending an unannounced email to 500K people offering a [insert whatever you want here] that (after supplying all the needed CC info) it ends up having only been available for those that responded in the first 90 seconds. And, that the deal "expired" before they even said I needed to add a CC.
    Actually, I hardly claim entitlement and I avoid BF like the plague. But nice try.

And I'm sorry you can't see HP's responsibility. They knew about it in advance and they did it anyway when they COULD have worked around it. You see no responsibility in that? Really?
    It sounds like entitlement to me. Why else would you feel "alienated" by HP for throwing out limited use promo codes into the wild on a predictable interval for users to redeem on a first come first serve basis?