Page 45 of 62 FirstFirst ... 35404142434445464748495055 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes
    HP seems to have cut back as they're going so fast lately. Maybe they should just stop giving them out rather then give the minimum, wonder which they'd get less criticism for? If they burn in hell for minimum what if they stop?
    HP should stop giving codes out in the first place.
    HP should just stop these promo codes. Why on earth should they give away free apps if people blame them for not being able to get free apps?
    dignitary likes this.
    I don't get why people feel obligated to get these promo codes. I know it sucks to miss out on free stuff, but come on now.

HP doesn't have to do this. For every code that is redeemed, they are losing money. They still have to pay the Devs as if we bought the app.

For all those who are really dying to get these promo codes, sign up for the news letter and have your email on your phone/tablet push emails as they come in. If you're not getting emails then stalk the PreCentral & Slickdeal forums non-stop every afternoon from Monday-Friday until you see a promo codes thread pop up for that day.

Otherwise just be happy you have a TouchPad. There are plenty of people who missed out on the firesale & wish they had one. Besides, how many of the promo code apps would you really use???
    Exactly!
    BMIC50 and dignitary like this.
    Maybe HP are only 'Promo-coding' in the first place because they were made WELL aware that the whole 'Apps' thing was one of their weakest points re. webOS TP's etc?

They might as well drop it now anyway! It only seems to create squabbles amongst the kids..

"Besides, how many of the promo code apps would you really use???
    Exactly!"

I would have used Green Eggs and Ham

I would have fed it to my fish
    I would have dunked it in my dish
    I would have read it to my Rish
    One promo code is all I wished
    BMIC50 and Tedcas like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mando View Post
    what is the hack?
    http://www.precentral.net/add-promo-...Central.net%29
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    My impression was it was 1000 codes. Since there are over half million tp out there, that is why they go so fast.

Regarding slickdealz, tp would have sold without them, but perhaps not as fast. People love a deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    I don't get why people feel obligated to get these promo codes. I know it sucks to miss out on free stuff, but come on now.
    Besides, how many of the promo code apps would you really use???
    Exactly!
    Agree on both points made here. There isn't an entitlement that anyone gets free apps. HP obviously started offering these in part to reward customers and in part (more likely) to drum up interest in the webOS platform and encourage people to buy more apps. Seems that HP may have underestimated the impact a slickdeals might have on the availability of these apps, and unintentionally the good idea went sound. Don't know how it might get fixed, but again, no one is entitled to get these free apps.

Your second point is also very true... how many apps do we really use? I admit my usage of the TouchPad is probably not as broad as other users (I use mine mostly to browse and look at email while on my couch watching TV). The number of apps I use is probably way less than others: the stock email, the stock browser, Spaz for twitter, Splashtop for remote desktop, and Youtube Mini. I occasionally use IHeartRadio and Glimpse. I may eventually use Music Remix and Zinio. And, I may someday get Communities and Smart Office.

I am probably not a great revenue generator for HP at this point. I suspect my use of the TP will start to decline, and somewhere down the road I will give the TP to someone and replace it with another tablet. Or other device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahhk View Post
    Yeah, I tried using the codes like 10 mins after I got the email. Sad that HP has become so pathetic......

If HP wanted to do it right, they would have sent unique codes to each person/WebOS account. But no...once again they instead prefer to alienate everybody.
    They pay out of their own pocket for these codes. Basic economic phrase: there's no such thing as a free lunch. Yes, we don't pay for these codes, but HP does. My point for reiteration, they can't send everyone codes because the cost would be too high. It's unreasonable.

Same as if you go to a sporting event and they hand out 10,000 bobbleheads. Not everyone gets one but the people that do, are glad. Not every fan gets one. It's a matter of showing appreciation to customers, not a matter of obligation.

I, for one, am not going to be bitter that I didn't get one of the codes, though I would have liked one for when family gets together and kids are running around.

I typed this on my touchpad. I got my money's worth. Anything else is extra and welcome, but not necessary for me to enjoy my product.
    Quote Originally Posted by hanly2 View Post
    the problem is hp, if It wasn't for slickdeals they wouldn't have even sold all these touchpads. They know how many are out there so they should make more then 100 offers for the codes. It is sad. I can't wait to switch to ICS
    There are far more than 100 codes generated...
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrusuelas View Post
    ...Seems that HP may have underestimated the impact a slickdeals might have on the availability of these apps, and unintentionally the good idea went sound...
    Yeah, I don't think anyone could have anticipated the Slickdeals affect. They have almost a million registered members, & who knows how many more people just browse through the deals & forums that aren't registered.

Since many people in Slickdeals got firesale TouchPads, they post promo codes there. Once they get posted there, it will last maybe 10-20 minutes before it's gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by frmorrison View Post
    My impression was it was 1000 codes. Since there are over half million tp out there, that is why they go so fast.

Regarding slickdealz, tp would have sold without them, but perhaps not as fast. People love a deal.
    One of my apps, Music Player (Remix), was given away a few weeks ago. I won't provide specific numbers (I prefer not to discuss sales figures publicly), but it's more than 1000.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    SmartFah and Volcom45 like this.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marquezr22 View Post
    HP is not obligated to provide any free codes to begin with.
    no, but hp should be smart enough to not send out a mass email with the same redundant codes to every person. at the very least they should make the code unique and only randomly send them out to however many allotted codes they have for that app. if its only 100 or 1000 they should just randomly send out that many.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    One of my apps, Music Player (Remix), was given away a few weeks ago. I won't provide specific numbers (I prefer not to discuss sales figures publicly), but it's more than 1000.
    WOW, I know you must have been doing the happy dance after seeing your sales reports; heck, you're probably still doing a happy dance, lol.

You deserve it though, Music Player Remix is awesome. I wouldn't listen to music as much on my Pre 2 & TouchPad if it weren't for your app.
    For your info, Palm just posted more promo codes for Green Eggs and Ham! https://twitter.com/#!/precentral/st...67115768135680

Also there are international codes this time!
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marquezr22 View Post
    They pay out of their own pocket for these codes. Basic economic phrase: there's no such thing as a free lunch. Yes, we don't pay for these codes, but HP does. My point for reiteration, they can't send everyone codes because the cost would be too high. It's unreasonable.

Same as if you go to a sporting event and they hand out 10,000 bobbleheads. Not everyone gets one but the people that do, are glad. Not every fan gets one. It's a matter of showing appreciation to customers, not a matter of obligation.

I, for one, am not going to be bitter that I didn't get one of the codes, though I would have liked one for when family gets together and kids are running around.

I typed this on my touchpad. I got my money's worth. Anything else is extra and welcome, but not necessary for me to enjoy my product.
    I never claimed that HP owned me anything and never suggested that the free apps didnt cost HP money.

What I did say was that they are pathetic and are alienating their customers.

Sorry, but I fully stand behind that.

When you make only a few hundred free apps available and announce it to...what? 500K people?....and the offer expires maybe two minutes after the email is sent out....you alienate a HECK of a lot more people than the few that are happy.

This isnt new. There are SO many other ways to go about it and still give a majority of the customers a CHANCE.

I just so happened to be going through my email when it popped up. Unfortunately, I hadnt added a CC yet. The 2 mins or so it took me to get a CC added, made me too late to use the promo codes. Now, what percentage of the customers watch for, and respond to, their email INSTANTLY. How many are in their car? How many are in a meeting? How many are at work? How many are eating lunch?

The point is that it is a lose-lose for 99.97% of the people they send it to.

Having to get the email, turn on the TP, search for the apps, and enter the code in less than 100 seconds IS PATHETIC. Sporting events are MUCH different since you KNOW about them in advance. That's a poor analogy. If they didnt know about the bobbleheads in advance, then nothing was lost since they werent even going there just for the bobble heads.

So, yes, it would be significantly better for them to not give away any free apps than to do it this way.

Maybe the whole firesale thing caught them off guard. Maybe. There's no excuse for this app cr@p.

They are just digging their hole deeper. Pathetic.
    Maybe, just maybe... HP releases just enough codes that would satisify each person that signed up to be notified. It's not HP's fault the codes get posted everywhere.

I have missed codes a few times too, and I was bummed, but they are free and there is no guarantee.

I love my TP, and I got a great price on it. Any additional freebies are just a bonus to me. I don't feel alienated.
    Last edited by Squatting Hen; 11/04/2011 at 04:37 PM.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Other than the Green Eggs & Ham app promo that I downloaded 30 seconds ago, I have not been able to get an app promo code to work. I am not sure what the point of the promo codes are, who pays for the free apps (HP or the Developers), but I am hard pressed to believe the limited promo codes has the desired positive effect.

Last year there was a 50% off app sale in which I purchased several relatively expensive apps which I probably wouldn't have purchased otherwise. I can't remember if that was Palm or HP, but I am sure there were a bunch of apps sold. As far as I know, that promotion was mutually beneficial to the company, the developer, and the purchaser. I wish they would do something similar again.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    Yeah, I don't think anyone could have anticipated the Slickdeals affect. They have almost a million registered members, & who knows how many more people just browse through the deals & forums that aren't registered.

Since many people in Slickdeals got firesale TouchPads, they post promo codes there. Once they get posted there, it will last maybe 10-20 minutes before it's gone.
    Sorry, but how much longer are you going to keep using the "I don't think anyone could have anticipated the Slickdeals affect"?

The SD affect is NOT new. Or are you suggesting that HP is too new a company for any one of them to have heard of SD (or any of the <cough> many others) yet?

Just wonderin'....