Page 44 of 62 FirstFirst ... 34394041424344454647484954 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    boxing up and shelving my hardly used touchpad until windows 8 comes out. webos is toast and every battery cycle is another one closer to the battery going dead for good and it going in the garbage or an attempted battery replacement.
    Not sure what you plan on doing with it when Win 8 comes out...
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Not sure where you're going with that but think about this: The people that ipad 1 how long did they wait for ipad 2?? Easy answer 1 year. Tablets and smartphones unlike laptops are replaced every 1 or 2 years. Now if you paid $99 for a TP which includes 1 year warranty and $50GB free cloud plus the many free apps I don't see how a rational person can come to the conclusion that buying a TP at firesale prices is a bad deal.
    LinuxKoss and DeadVim like this.
    If you are worried about the battery, having the device unused until sometime in 2012 isn't the best for a battery.
    Use it or sell it - don't let it rot.

The chemicals in the battery will deteriorate over time even if you never use it. More slowly - but still.

And why wait for W8 tablet?
    If you worry about tiny platform with uncertain future - get IPad or an Android tablet. These are the only 2 solid platforms for now.

W8 tablets won't be available until some time in 2012.
    And it's entirely possible that they will tank. It's not like WP7 is doing great.
    And W8 is a new unproven system on the tablet market. Windows usual advantages - familiarity and applications don't apply to W8 on ARM-based tablets.

Either use up your TP over the next couple of years - or monetize it while you can.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    LinuxKoss likes this.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LinuxKoss View Post
    If you are worried about the battery, having the device unused until sometime in 2012 isn't the best for a battery.
    what are the facts behind that? just wondering. electronics with a battery sit on a store shelf for a year or more...
    Quote Originally Posted by joegti10 View Post
    what are the facts behind that? just wondering. electronics with a battery sit on a store shelf for a year or more...
    What electronics with batteries do you know that sit on store shelves for a year any more? Life cycle of most electronics total is a year or 2 as posted above.

I will say I have some 4 year old Centro batteries that have seen use as backup batteries when needed, but that is because they are already there and we never had a desire to sell the Centros.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by joegti10 View Post
    The touchpad uses lithium-ion battery. The lithium based chemistry used are susceptible to oxidation over time. It is one of the trade offs for the type of battery. Most say store it at a stable charge of 40%, and in a refrigerators to prolong their life if not used and needs to be stored for over more than a few weeks unused. This only slightly slows down the oxidation process. That would require disconnecting and pulling out the battery from within the tablets case.

For more info, search google for li-ion storage. Actual chemists or electronic engineers can explain way better then I ever could in passing.

Edit:Other electronics are either rotated stock so the oldest get sold first in case they have li-ion like laptops or tablets. If devices are expected to be stored longer, and don't need a high density capacity offered by li-ion, then they use NiCad or old lead acid batteries. Plus they are way more cheaper then li-ion.

In other words, not all batteries are the same. They have strengths, weaknesses, limitation s, and tradeoffs. They are built for a designed task. Tablets, smartphones, and laptops are power Hungry mobile devices. They need fast charging, high capacity density, low weight, slim thickness, high discharge rate. A lead acid battery would not be anywhere near ideal for that.
    Last edited by LinuxKoss; 10/28/2011 at 07:18 PM.
    i think the guy means he is unsure about keeping a device that will be running an os that may not be supported for very much longer. also the possibility of having a failing battery that will be hard to replace.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    With 4 Pre- in my family, we were hanging on this year waiting for the Pre 3. I was looking at carriers besides Sprint since Sprint hadn't been getting any of the updated webOS phones.

With the demise of webOS and hardware for it by Apotheker, we've moved on. Three 4s phones are now here or on the way, and the fourth Pre- will be replaced by by either Android or iOS in the next couple of weeks.

I still have my TP for now, but next year it will be replaced by an iPad 3 and that will be it for webOS. I really liked this webOS and hated to leave it - but the reality is HP left us a long time ago. I'm sure iOS will meet our needs, and I'm not worried about any announcement from Apple six weeks from now saying they are getting out of the hardware business.

This community has been one of the best - I have a lot to thank it for since joining shortly after I bought the first Pre-. As many more of you leave over time, I wish you the best whatever route you take. This was fun!
    Well, times up. I just placed my order for the iPhone 4s. I hate to do it, but I figure it would have the highest resale value if HP gets off their posteriors.
    Palm M105--->Palm Tungsten T--->Palm Treo 650--->Palm Centro--->Palm Pre--->Palm iPhone4s (damnit)

Touchpad (launch day)
    <<threads merged>>
    OK - I'm finally leaving... only it's a long goodbye. I am replacing one of my webOS phones with a Droid 3... My pre plus. I still have a pre 2 and a touchpad...

Why? the + was having hardware issues and is out of warranty. PLus, there is no where to go on webOS. The 2 is good, but not as good as the 3 or other new phones. I want to use QR readers and the lack of focus on the + or 2 sucks. And, other things... I like to have up to date hardware so...

We'll see if webOS gets more hardware and it's good, I might come back... or, maybe I'll eventually go away completely, but not for a while... My pre 2 update is gonna be 02/06/2013.
    Last edited by e-gadget-guy; 11/04/2011 at 09:25 AM.
    IIIXE>Clie:N710C>N760C>NX60>Treo[600>650>700]>Centro>Pre+>Pre2&Touchpad 32GB
    webOS Themes: star-trek-universe star-trek-future Future Trek for Tpad

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
    Why bother sending the codes if they are used up as soon as I get the mail? No wonder HP is going to hell in a handbasket! /rant off
    Eh, not one of the apps this week was worth a damn. I'm upset I missed the office one last week though.
    The problem is not HP. The problem is sites like slickdeals, where users use the codes whether they plan to use the apps or not. HP is not obligated to provide any free codes to begin with.
    SmartFah likes this.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    the problem is hp, if It wasn't for slickdeals they wouldn't have even sold all these touchpads. They know how many are out there so they should make more then 100 offers for the codes. It is sad. I can't wait to switch to ICS
    I finally got hip to the movement and used the 'Just Type' mod. All you have to do is copy the code and then paste it in the Just Type bar and use the hack and it made things soo much easier. I downloaded the ASL one for my wife since she works with non-verbal kids and needs to brush up on her signing.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    what is the hack?
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Yeah, I tried using the codes like 10 mins after I got the email. Sad that HP has become so pathetic......

If HP wanted to do it right, they would have sent unique codes to each person/WebOS account. But no...once again they instead prefer to alienate everybody.