Page 40 of 62 FirstFirst ... 30353637383940414243444550 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes
    Sadly, I too am leaving webos. I really liked the pre+ and then the pre 2 for the size. I hate the big slabs. I got the pre 2 during the fire sale, what a great deal for $50! Unfortunately it was stolen last week, and so I am faced with a decision.

$150+ for a new pre 2, a phone that doesn't sync my calendar correctly and doesn't have a future.

$199 for a new iphone 4s (I have an upgrade on AT&T). Or, the radical notion of just using my old Sony 760i.

When my phone was stolen, I realized that the compact Sony did most of what my Pre did-email, calendar with exchange sync, a little web browsing, takes pretty good photos in the day time, it even multi-tasks! Plus, I am saving $180 a year because the data plan for feature phones is cheaper and unlimited.

I guess I'll have to decide if having a smart phone is worth the extra $400 in the coming year (data + purchase price) or whether I'll live with the old Sony. I suppose I could use my upgrade and sell the phone. Has anyone done this?

Thanks Palm for creating a great form factor, and wonderful OS experience. I'll miss you.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJB View Post
    I ordered the 32gb. I picked white for a change of pace. I have the sprint family plan so it will cost me $10 more per month.

I agree about the touchstone. I have 3 extras now.

not happy for having to put itunes on my laptop either.
    Hmm..not sure about the $20 extra per month on our Sprint Family ($10/phone) plan compared to what we already have and been paying for it with our Pre- for the last 9 months???

Yes the TouchStone charging is going to be MISSED big time. I guess there is other options like that Mat Charging technology, but then sounds like a bunch of money to me...more out then coming in in my opinion.

WebOS on my Pre- was advanced two years ago and it much better now with 1.4.5, but the Pre- lacks so much when it comes to memory to run apps and apps themselves that transition may not be a big deal and yes iTunes sucks and thankfully their is other software like doubleTwist that can be used to sync tunes and content.

Also, I did think of one bonus when it comes iPhones...Sharing Apps and Music...iTunes allows you to share your content and apps with 5 other people/devices. It is not easy to do this and they don't make it automatic (wife bought the app and magically it is now on my account), but it can be done logging into a buds computer and their iTunes with your account and then downloading your content and purchases to their machine to share and use at your convenience.

Got to take what you can and in the long run Apple is making so much money they could give all their apps away and still be rich. Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by revtskillings View Post
    I guess I'll have to decide if having a smart phone is worth the extra $400 in the coming year (data + purchase price) or whether I'll live with the old Sony. I suppose I could use my upgrade and sell the phone. Has anyone done this?

Thanks Palm for creating a great form factor, and wonderful OS experience. I'll miss you.
    Bummer on your Pre2 being stolen...yikes this happens more then I think or people are just ruthless when it comes to other peoples property.

Either way, hopefully you don't get hit with your carrier saying "no that old Sony phone is a smartphone and you have to have data plan to use it on our service!" My mother and father lost one of their flip phones on Verizon and was planning on using our old Treo 700p just for voice communication and Verizon said they couldn't register a Treo 700p without a Data Plan. May just be Verizon, but last I heard ATT screws all their customers as well and figured you may want to be prepared just in case.

Also agree that the form factor was almost perfect and I certainly will miss the physical keyboard, swiping, and other things that made webOS so special. Does iPhone's have swipe? Hmm... Sorli...
    AT&T actually put me on the cheaper plan when I got the new SIM card.
    sorli likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Same boat...shame shame and it will be sad when I have to plugin my new phone every time I want to charge it (wow that's going to SUCK...No Touchstone). Yes the iPhone 4s (5-) has some nice features, but I like everyone else in the world was hoping for more miracles from Apple and the iPhone 5. Either way, IOS is finally heading too Sprint and for me makes it a valid option to replace my Pre- and we'll see soon enough, especially compared to Google's offering. ICS Android may fix this, but from what I've seen I'm not impressed with what they are doing cell phone or tablet software wise.

I haven't pre-ordered mine yet and plan to wait till after I see one running on Sprint and they get out their for review compared to other iPhone 4s units and even iPhone 4 configs. Should be interesting and I'm sure I'll also miss my webOS phone, but at least I have a TouchPad to keep me smiling. Sorli...

BTW - what version did you order and what plan are you on as a Sprint Premier member (former member...didn't they close that down)?
    Curious how much more my wife and I are going to have to shell out to have the privilege of using iPhone 4s'...
    Okay, this is why I visited today. Sprint is now getting the iPhone. Unfortunately, Sprint no longer allows me to use unlimited text. You can only text to person-to-person numbers. I can no longer get my news and whether updates.

In addition, with the burn on my WebOS tablet, I traded it in for an iPad and I'm not impressed. I've gotten used to multitasking and you can't do that with iPhone or iPad. Since the apps close instead of working in the background, I have to re-enter my password into SplashID whenever I'm trying to enter the information into another program. Thus, I paste user name or password and have to totally type the next entry or re-enter my password in Splash in order to finish. It's a hassle.

So I can stay with Sprint and have a phone that I can't text on and pay an extra $10 per month for the privilege.

Don't get me wrong, I tried an Android device (for two days) so no device will give me the multi-tasking that I've grown accustomed too. I have the iPad so I know it's cute and has a lot of apps, but it has the draw back of not multitasking and needing to pay an extra $10 per month an extra $40 if you ever used free tether.

In addition, we give up our free SprintNav if we upgrade. $10 - $40 more and for so much less. All I gain is a new phone that I still can't text on. I understand that if you have over 2GB on AT&T or Verizon you get free mobile hotspot. I have four lines so if I keep tethering on my line, that an extra $70 per month. If I keep Telnav, it's an extra $80. I've got to do some price comparing on what I actually use my cell phone for. This would be so much simpler if HP hadn't bought and ditched WebOS. I gave up the texting, but I still had a phone that I liked, SprintNav, SprintTV, and tethering.

I wonder if you can send text on the Amazon Fire? Probably not, the shows I want to text to appear to only work from a true mobile #. It hasn't worked from GoogleVoice or other texting software on my iPad2.
    <<thread merged>>
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    Okay, this is why I visited today. Sprint is now getting the iPhone. Unfortunately, Sprint no longer allows me to use unlimited text. You can only text to person-to-person numbers. I can no longer get my news and whether updates.

So I can stay with Sprint and have a phone that I can't text on and pay an extra $10 per month for the privilege.

Don't get me wrong, I tried an Android device (for two days) so no device will give me the multi-tasking that I've grown accustomed too. I have the iPad so I know it's cute and has a lot of apps, but it has the draw back of not multitasking and needing to pay an extra $10 per month an extra $40 if you ever used free tether.

In addition, we give up our free SprintNav if we upgrade. $10 - $40 more and for so much less. All I gain is a new phone that I still can't text on. I understand that if you have over 2GB on AT&T or Verizon you get free mobile hotspot. I have four lines so if I keep tethering on my line, that an extra $70 per month. If I keep Telnav, it's an extra $80. I've got to do some price comparing on what I actually use my cell phone for. This would be so much simpler if HP hadn't bought and ditched WebOS. I gave up the texting, but I still had a phone that I liked, SprintNav, SprintTV, and tethering.

I wonder if you can send text on the Amazon Fire? Probably not, the shows I want to text to appear to only work from a true mobile #. It hasn't worked from GoogleVoice or other texting software on my iPad2.

Hmm...the iPad problems sound like a huge cluster. Think you'll get used to it or things will change with IOS 5 and later upgrades?

Sprint sounds like they are trying to make themselves more like ATT and Verizon with their addon pricing, but I thought they began their "Unlimited Plan" campaign and advertising how there are no caps or cut-offs like T-mobile, ATT, and V?

Wife and I are on Sprint Unlimited Family plan that used to cover everything web, text, Sprint TV, and Sprint Navigation and only limit was the 1000 minutes we never used anyways.

Looks like I'll have to do more digging and thanks for the clarification! Sorli...

Update: Just logged into my wife and my plan and we are nolonger Sprint Premier Gold members with our service costing less then the needed $169.99+ minimum to be on this plan. Mother and father in-laws dropped their phone service through us and got their own plan on Verizon and that brought our Family Plan down to $150/month after tax tag and title. So to be honest, I don't know what I'm getting with Sprints Premier Silver plan and probably paying extra for nothing. Need to talk to Sprint or my bud rep at Best Buy and find out what she thinks would be the best option for us since we have both Sprint and Verizon accounts still active.
    Last edited by sorli; 10/08/2011 at 06:24 PM.
    WebOS sucks without the major apps. There is no scrabble online equivalent. No instagram equivalent (molo filters) yotly sucks. Just really need to get this off my chest.
    Mekkel,
    There will be no more major apps coming out and very little in the way of simple apps. And then there's this whole no more devices or updates thing.
    <thread merged>
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    I am not sure why I am posting this except I think there are others who feel the same way as I do.

After 13 years it is time to say goodbye. On Friday when my iPhone arrives it will be the first time since 1998 I will not have a Palm device in my pocket. I loved all the Palm products I have owned. I have never owned another PDA other than Palm/Handspring. When the first TREO came I ditched the Pilot and some lame Sony feature phone.

I am been a member of this forum for a long time. I don't post much, but I would log in to the forums just about everyday during the early Treo and Pre days. I have checked Precentral a few times a day for at least the last 6-7 years. The bookmark has been in my quicklinks or homepage since 2000.

I have been a member here since it was Treocentral. It has been an amazing era for technology and Palm started it all with the Pilot. There would be no iPhone without Palm.

It has been a rollercoaster ride last two years with Palm. I was so stoked to get my Pre on launch day. First time I ever waited in line for a phone. When Palm was sold to HP I was thrilled Palm would finally get the muscle it needed. I was surprised as everyone when HP could not deliver after the Pre, which was a great phone the first year it was out. Although I guess I should not have been, HP has never really gotten the mobile space. I stayed optimistic right until Apotheker shut it down. After that I knew no matter what it was over.

I just wanted to say thanks to all the people who made treocentral and precentral a great place to learn. I know I did not participate much, (I have a life!) but I read a lot and learned a lot.

I am pretty excited for the iPhone. It was easy choice over Android. The iPhone seems to have more of the "Zen" than Palm used to have. WP7 would be my second choice but there is no way I am buying into an MS ecosystem.

Someday I am sure I will trade my Apple products in for something better that comes along. Tech companies don't stay on top forever. Remember Sony? Remember Palm? Remember RIM? One day we will say remember when Apple was king.

Goodbye, and long live Palm!
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    I too am at he point of going to another OS. On the 24th, I get an upgrade and what to go with is the the big question for me. I know I have spent hundreds on apps. Not that I use all of them, I just wanted to support the developers. Now many developers have left or are on pause until some better news is released or just what the future is for webOS. I can't blame them. At this point we don't have choices in webOS.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Hey,
    User of a palm pre plus, WebOS 1.4.5.
    I got the phone out of hope for its future. The platform is dead. And it just seems that it isn't cut out to do the things I need it to (IE: VNC clients, I can no longer run classic emulator because it won't let me buy, HP have completely abandoned me, etc.)
    I am root (preware), and to be honest I just feel let down that the world has given up on such a capable OS. It CAN do all the things I need it to. But not without the software. I want to become a software developer, I got the SDK for ubuntu, but I'm no good at anything involving simple Ubuntu shell commands. What language are Webos apps written in? Any ideas where I can learn said language? Please help. If HP will abandon me I need some way to fend for myself..
    Keep you Pre2, you will be switching back to it really soon...........
    Quote Originally Posted by renck View Post
    somehow I doubt he will come back to Pre2 from iPhone 4S.
    https://developer.palm.com/index.php?...rticle&id=1758

Here's a link to HP webOS Developer Center which gives you the basics on how to write an app. You should know, or have some understanding of HTML and Javascript.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    So it has come, where I have to say goodbye to WebOS (not for good though). As hard as it is to face, the OS needs a lot of attention and it just isn't getting it from HP as it should. Because of this I am sure many others and myself have decided to move on for now.

I just wanted to thank all of you and the WebOS pros that made WebOS what it was and still is. I hope in the future it turns around.

Thanks all...
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    I'm hoping that much like a girl that dumps you for a ****** bag, and figures out that you were the best thing around, that webOS makes a comeback and begs me for a second chance. I jumped on the iPhone 4s. It's not the perfect size like a Pre, and the OS isn't as customizable as webOS, but it's fast and it works. I didn't know what the big deal was with apps because I didn't have them. Now I know. The virutal keyboard sucks, but as many have said, "you'll get used to it." My two Pres will still live on, one in use by my almost 4 year old and the other will be my gym machine with an exercise app and mp3s. I started a blog to capture my switch in mobile device and OS. <edited by staff>

Special thanks to the webOS Internals crew & Jason Robitaille for making the lack of new hardware bearable for this long and making the software what it should have been in the first place. A big shout out to the members of PreCentral for your work, advice, support, jokes, and company through this journey. I guess I'll be hanging out at TiPB more often, but I'll definitely keep looking over here in hopes of a resurrection...
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/20/2011 at 02:08 PM. Reason: links to personal blogs not permitted - Forum Guidelines
    Quote Originally Posted by renck View Post
    I think the Palm phones are one of the best all around smart phones on the market. Small, powerful, keypad, touchscreen, and Webos. (Who really wants to lug an iPhone around on their hip? I thought the days of wearing a phone on the hip were going away)

This isn't one of those goodbye replies, this is a "I'm very happy with what I have." My sister-in-law bought the Samsung Galaxy last week and I really didn't like it. At least not for what she paid for it. My kids went to armour games to play some flash based games and it wouldn't come up. They know they can't do that on Apple, but who would have thought some of these sites won't come up on Android browsers either? On the HP Touchpad, most games are playable and they enjoy it. (and whoever wants to post in this thread that Android will work with Flash, save your time and effort cause my 10 year old doesn't care about alt browsers, hacks for work arounds)

Maybe we need a thread for Flash/Touchpad friendly websites. Internet 4 classrooms was another one that worked.
    i got caught up in webos hype after getting a pair of pre plus phones from vzw for 50 dollars. Read pre|central constantly and enjoyed webos alot(first smart phone) when my first upgrade came I spent a hundred and fifty bucks on a pre 2. I was giddy when I first got it, I know that sounds silly. Now I just feel stupid, there is soooo many nicer phones I could have gotten for that price! No matter now, I got a droid x and droid incredible on the way in the mail to hold me over till I buy myself a thunderbolt for christmas. Its been fun webos seeya!!!!