Page 38 of 62 FirstFirst ... 28333435363738394041424348 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    There's a place in the forums for goodbyes, and this is not it.
    It appears this is the place now (Farewell Thread) so I will take a moment to say, as for my phone, I've moved on to the Droid Bionic and it is quite awesome. Definitely a steep learning curve but awesome nonetheless. I still have my Touchpad so I'll be hanging around webOS for awhile. Maybe it'll resurface somewhere and get the support it deserves. Thanks to everyone in this community for making it such a great 2+ year run...this phone wouldn't have been near as good without all of you and special thanks to webOS Internals and Jason Robitaille! Long live webOS!
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    In light of Meg Whitman's recent promotion to Web OS, some people are saying that this could mean the start of a new life for Web OS. However, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that just isn't going to happen.

Guys, I'm sorry. I've been a super-dedicated member of this community for more than two years. I've saved my free Sprint premier upgrade until I lost it waiting for new WebOS hardware with bated breather, but now, this is the final nail in the coffin. They have already laid off a substantial percentage of the WEB OS global business unit. That is only the beginning too. Where do you think all those engineers are going to go? Why, to Web OS's competitors of course. They'll take their insider knowledge of WEB OS, and the road map that HP had for it, and pass that right along. Also, they are just going to be too behind their competition to compete. Almost every other mobile platform has the cloud strengths in music and media that would have set webos apart. WP7 has copied the cards metaphor for multi-tasking, and will also have touch to share. Meanwhile, IOS is getting multitasking gestures that bear some similarity to those in Web OS. Unfortunately, the writing is on the wall.

I'm sorry to say that I'm finally just done. I love WebOS, and did not want to use anything else. However, I feel like many of us dedicated Web OS users are like battered spouses. We keep taking the abuse, again and again, from whomever owns our favorite OS, and still keep hoping that in spite of everything that has already happened, everything will somehow be different next time. I've finally realized it's not going to happen. I recognize all the joy Web OS and this community have brought me. Still, it's tiem for me to move on. Thanks for the memories everyone, but good bye.
    I hope those developers do go to the competition and pass along the best parts of webos. I have moved on to an android gadget, and I really miss the cards metaphor. Maybe there's a windows gadget in my future.
    Global Posts
    130 Global Posts
    Thanks to the mkd who merged my post eith this thread. You've made it kart of somethingn grander. I once read story that ended with the all powerful viol Ian deciding that she really wished to give up her mortal form and merge with the life force of all living things on the planet. That is what I see as the fate of web os. It has permeated all layers of the smartphone concept, and will live on as part of them.
    I wanted to say thanks guys! All of you have been great and I have learned a lot about my touchpad. But on Friday I will be getting a Xoom. I like the touchpad but I really want Honeycomb. I like CM7 but I am kind of sick of it as I have it on my Nook and phone. So My touchpad will go on e-bay this weekend. I love Webos but I just dont see a real future in it (even with a new ceo). If they pick it back up and start putting out new stuff maybe i will return one day.

I know you guys will be rocking these things to the fullest!
    Makin' your rounds, huh?

Movin on - xda-developers
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nissan_nick View Post
    I wanted to say thanks guys! All of you have been great and I have learned a lot about my touchpad. But on Friday I will be getting a Xoom. I like the touchpad but I really want Honeycomb. I like CM7 but I am kind of sick of it as I have it on my Nook and phone. So My touchpad will go on e-bay this weekend. I love Webos but I just dont see a real future in it (even with a new ceo). If they pick it back up and start putting out new stuff maybe i will return one day.

I know you guys will be rocking these things to the fullest!
    Each to their own (obviously) but I have to ask ... Given the expense, what will be significantly better on the Xoom?

If you keep the Touchpad and wait for the CM port then you can dual-boot Gingerbread immediately and lose nothing, then it's a case of waiting for the inevitable ICS port.

In the meantime all kinds of interesting things may have happened in the webOS world. Or they may not have, who can tell? At least you still have the option.

I'm a cheapskate so I like to get the most out of my devices

On the upside if you are looking to sell then I would wager that now is a good time while the demand is still there.

(edit) Ah neat, there is a place for this kind of thing, very efficient
    Last edited by DeadVim; 09/27/2011 at 11:02 PM.
    Well I am getting the xoom NIB for 350. Not a bad deal and makes it worth it to me. I will sell the TP 32gb and Touchstone Like new and with the Skinomi TechSkin to get most of my money back. So really it will cost me next to nothing.

But the TP is great but i also want the accessory support. Plus the roms are awesome! Tablets are just toys and I will get sick of the Xoom and trade it again too lol.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nissan_nick View Post
    Well I am getting the xoom NIB for 350. Not a bad deal and makes it worth it to me. I will sell the TP 32gb and Touchstone Like new and with the Skinomi TechSkin to get most of my money back. So really it will cost me next to nothing.

But the TP is great but i also want the accessory support. Plus the roms are awesome! Tablets are just toys and I will get sick of the Xoom and trade it again too lol.
    Fair enough, I've been through plenty of gadgets myself.

The lack of accessory support is a fair point, it will be interesting to see what the microUSB port can be used for in the future.

I've been hankering after an iPad just so I can make use of the music making/controlling potential and there are some quality apps out there for doing just that.

Yup, it's overpriced, there is no Flash and it's 'closed' but it has the numbers and therefore the developers.

I'll probably pick a used 2nd gen up once the 3rd hits ... that must be overdue now, isn't the Apple pseudo-upgrade cycle monthly these days?
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    When HP cancelled the TouchPad and all future hardware for webOS, I was deflated, depressed, angry and sad. I had purchased my Pre- the first day it became available in Canada in August of 2009. I have been a long time supporter of the Homebrew efforts and a regular participant at PreCentral. My Pre- is overclocked with some 20 patches and a huge number of apps. I love the development community here and believe that many of the apps on webOS are of superb quality.

When I purchased my TouchPad on the first day it became available in Canada in mid-July of this year, I loaded it up with whatever apps were available for the TouchPad. They were awesome. I’m looking at you SecuStore2, TapNote, AdvancedBrowser and the list goes on. I saw the early growing pains but believed that this was exactly where I wanted to be and felt good about it. I was hoping to pick-up a Pre3 in the fall and figured I was set for another 2 years and hopeful that new developers would be attracted to the platform with some new apps for webOS.

Then I woke up and reality hit........HP announced that it was giving up on webOS hardware, that it was discontinuing the TouchPad and that it was not going to release the Pre3 in North America.

That was it. I was a PalmOS supporter from the early years and constantly waiting for the next big thing. Then I turned to webOS and started the whole cycle all over again. ENOUGH! I packed up my TouchPad and returned it to Future Shop with all my accessories. I was 2 days outside the 30 day return window but customer service didn’t seem to care. I left with money to spend in my pocket.

Warning: Here comes the hate!

My wife has an iPhone4 and my sons each have an iPod and share an iPad. It was time for me to jump ship and so I went out and bought an iPad2, all the while swearing at HP inside my head.....Then I started playing with the iPad2 and surfing the app store. OH MY GOD! I knew that there were tons of apps but I had spent my time looking for games and fun things for the kids in the past for their iOS devices and my wife only wanted the basics, i.e. TomTom navigation and that’s it!

Now, I was looking for productivity apps and I was thrown by the choices I had available to me. To be honest, I also noticed that notwithstanding the abundance of apps, there were some apps on webOS that I simply could not find equal replacements for. The most important one for me was “Data Manager”. Nothing in iOS resembles this app. This app is and remains for me the best data manager app out there. I ultimately settled on an app called HanDBase which is pretty good but not the same eye-candy, nor customization, as Data Manager. Ironic that HanDBase started out as a PalmOS app.

I also found Pages, SplashMoney, SplashID (w/ desktop sync!), Kindle, Stanza, iBooks, eReader, 1Password, IMDb app, Feedler and so much more. And then came the medical apps. OMG, the medical apps, like the Nova Series Skeleton System ProII and Muscle System Pro II, are unbelievable. My work requires me to review surgical reports on a regular basis and these apps completely replace the need to perform internet searches or review textbooks to identify basic skeletal parts or muscles and make an incredible impression in the boardroom.

And it was not only the third party apps. The email app just works and works FAST! The calendar app is always in sync. No more missing calendar entries from Google Calendar. No more having to manually sync over and over again, deleting accounts and re-sync’ing. Things. Just. Work.

So, am I going to replace my Pre- with the iPhone5? No question about it.

Do I miss the webOS experience? No question about it. I especially miss my cards. WebOS is, and in my view, remains, the best and most elegant mobile operating system. Unfortunately, it remains, to this day, buggy and unappealing to the vast majority of developers. All the talk (and hate) about the Apple ecosystem and the fact that they might have 50 farting apps (I don’t really know as I never searched for it) may very well be true. But if they do have 50 farting apps, they also have tons of podcast apps to choose from, work processing solutions to choose from, medical apps to choose from and the list goes on.

I have found my new home (for now) and feeling really really good about it. I have never had so many choices to choose from. As such, I must say, Thanks HP, for opening my eyes and forcing me to see reality.

My experience may not be for everyone. I am not trying to convince anyone to jump ship or follow me into the land of iOS. I am merely laying down a few last words to mark my presence, and departure, from this wonderful community called webOS and to thank you all for capturing my interest in the past two years. And a special thank you to the folks who tirelessly brought us breaking news about webOS and kept us regularly entertained in the weekly webOS podcasts.

Thank you all and farewell!
    viper151 likes this.
    If you change your mind, we always stay here, and if you don't... well... goodbye and be happy!!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    You should try jailbreaking an iOS device, it might have what you need.
    I have TouchPad, Pre - and the iPad 1.

Funny how my experience is different:
    Only my Pre- can keep my Google Calender in sync; my iPad always takes hours to get the latest updates from Google; while the TouchPad... Yes needs me to manually tap the sync button.

In my point of view, I think iOS & webOS both have big issues, so the choice comes down to which combination of issues bugs you least.

For me, I'll hang on to both iPad & TouchPad (TP was just $130, why not?). As for my phone, I'll keep using my Pre- longer because I know I will miss universal search & the Touchstone if I switch; also I'm on Sprint so no matter what new phone I get I'll get a $10 monthly price increase. So hanging on to this old buddy

Bought a Pre3 as a back up, but that requires a switch to AT&T which doesn't do unlimited data
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Even before HP's announcement I'd decided my next phone would be iphone 5 because I need epocrates. The touchpad will remain as my tablet until it destructs and when it does I'll replace it with an ultrabook if no one picks up webOS hardware. Personally I think webOS is the best tablet OS out there, phone OS less so as I don't multitask as much on my phone. Notifications were my one major dislike of iOS but that will be greatly improved in iOS5.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    I hear ya. I'm an apple hater so no iphone or ipad for me. I resigned myself to get an android phone next but with windows phone 7.5 update just announced, it's looking more and more appealing to me. Just need to make sure we can still wifi tether (w/o plan).

If webOS does ever make it into another device, I'll be back and I know you will too.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I made the same move you did. I hung in there as long as I could with WebOS, but when HP just up and canned the Touchpad a month out of the gate, it was the last straw. My Touchpad and Pre 2 both went back to HP's store and I used the money to move to the iPad and iPhone.

Hindsight being 20/20, I should have made the switch long ago. While I miss the cards for task switching, that's about the only thing that the iPad doesn't do better. I looked at Android on the tablets, but they're just not there yet in terms of usability. Now, I find myself excited about the upcoming release of IOS 5, which we'll probably see next week.

One thing about it; at least with Apple we can expect updates and... stability.

I'll always have fond memories and a soft spot for WebOS. She could have very easily been where the iPad is now, if there'd been a company with brains and balls to back it up.

RIP, WebOS.
    Quintus likes this.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by intellidryad View Post
    I have TouchPad, Pre - and the iPad 1.

Funny how my experience is different:
    Only my Pre- can keep my Google Calender in sync; my iPad always takes hours to get the latest updates from Google; while the TouchPad... Yes needs me to manually tap the sync button.
    Try setting up your Google Calendar account using this method instead of the more usual one. I found this method to work flawlessly and keep the calendar's original colours.

CalDAV Calendar Sync : CalDAV - Google Mobile Help
  18.    #758  
    <threads mergeeeleyed>
    <thread merged>
    Amazon, an online vendor is about to launch the Kindle Fire. A small and capable touchpad running Android Gingerbread. It's likely to be a success, but we'll see.

Hp a giant in computers and consumer electronics buys Palm and WebOS for $1Bil. They decide that not only would WebOS be good for touch-pads as well a phones but might also work as printer interfaces and elsewhere. They have all these grandiose plans for it and go bonkers on rushing it to market. They pay all kinds of stars including Many the "pac- man" to plug their product. Their touch-pads are riddled with problems. The Pre never really escalates they way it could have had they managed it properly. They invested millions and sales are disappointing to put it lightly. They pull the plug. Unbelievable it is. Government couldn't have Effed this up worse. That entire board of directors should be replaced by the stockholders. Leo was just a a scape goat and I doubt WebOS will ever come back. That entire board/company wants to bury the memory of what happened as fast as they can and WebOS is at the center of it all.

Those geniuses at HP.