Page 34 of 62 FirstFirst ... 24293031323334353637383944 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes
    I am livid about the abandonment of WebOS. If anyone thinks that this was just a spur of the moment decision is dumb. HP execs played us like fools, and us WebOS loyal Let's just look at the timelines since July 2011:

June 30th - HP announces early adopter make it right program. Early adopters must buy 32gb model. Interpretation: HP knew this thing wouldn't sell for $600 and "forced" early adopters to buy the 32gb model so they could weasel $50 additional dollars out of early adopters (who foolishly, like me, did such with trust). We figured we got the "better" Touchpad for only $50 more. It was the illusion of a deal. In reality we got the model that HP knew wasn't going to sell. Certainly if we could have used the $50 on the 16gb many of us would have done so.

Also keep in mind HPs clever little line in their rebate terms and conditions: "Once the rebate has been applied for the device cannot be returned".

July 1st: Hp Touchpad Release. Interpretation: Crickets chirping; early adopters/webos devotees rushing to buy. Flushing $600 down the drain with promised rebate which none of us have gotten, heard a peep about, and probably won't ever see.

July 11th: Jon Rubinstein no longer in charge of WebOs Interpretation: He knew what was going on and either 1. Didn't want to be a part of it, or 2. Put up a fight and HP usurped his power

July 17th: WebOS "hard launch". Interpretation: HP tricks early adopters into not returning their devices. Most places have 30 day return policies. HP just had to string early adopters along for ~10 more days. Conveniently HP announces that an "update" to the Touchpad

July 31st: HP announced that the Touchpad's price was reduced by $50. Both the 16gb and 32 gb models. Interpretation: HP says a big slap to early adopters, who's $50 rebate was now rendered useless.

Aug 1st: HP releases WebOS 3.0.2 for Touchpad. Early adopters rejoice that their Touchpads are finally "the way they should have been at launch". Interpretation: Conveniently HP released the update a day after most return policies expired.

Aug 3rd: Staples releases a $100 off Touchpad coupon. This may seem insignificant but it's not. As early as July 20th Staples had a coupon for $100 off any tablet with certain exceptions. Those being the iPad, the Nook, the Kindle, and the TOUCHPAD. At this point Staples thought that Touchpad still had a chance. From that time to Aug 3rd, they must have been given information that would prompt them to release a coupon for $100 off the Touchpad only. Interpretation: Some sort of insider tipping of Staples by HP.

Aug 4th: HP announces promotional $100 off from Aug 5th-7th. Interpretation: Experiment to see market reception of the Touchpad at a reduced price. If they could get a favorable reaction they would continue to support WebOS. Also another HUGE slap to early adopters, laughing in our faces after now ripping us off for $100.

Aug 10th: HP announces permanent $100 off discount. Interpretation: HP realized the Touchpad was done for. Last ditch attempt to sell off as much hardware as they could. Again, another slap in the face for the early adopters.

Aug 11th: HP announces $50 app credit for the Touchpad: Interpretation: Guise to keep early adopters from suing showing how much they "care" about their loyal consumers. $50 to an app store that they know would not have support in 10 days.

Aug 16th: Official Palm Pre 2 update to 2.1 for Verizon: Interpretation: Not quite sure what this said. I thought it was hope that the Pre 3 would be coming but looking back I think it was more of a "last hurrah" for WebOS on VZW. Got that out the door before they closed shop. It was extremely weird though seeing the HP logo upon boot instead of the Palm logo. Deceptively thought that maybe this was a sign of good things to come from HP.

Aug 16th: Release of the Pre 3 trickled in Europe. Interpretation: Clearly an attempt to dump inventory on early adopters/WebOs loyal consumers. There wasn't even an official announcement about the release until after early adopters got shipping notifications. The announcement was pedestrian at best.

Aug 17th: Best Buy outs HP of terrible Touchpad sales; wants refund. Interpretation: Best Buy finally got the leak that Staples got back in early August that the Touchpad was dead. However, they were mad that they were last to know of the leak so they publicly ripped HP a new one.

Aug 17th: Touchpad 64gb announced in France: Interpretation: The trickery continues. Complete last ditch attempt to sell off failed hardware.

Aug 18th: HP announces death of WebOS, WebOS devices including Touchpad, Pre, and Veer. Interpretation: Eff you early adopters. Enjoy your $600 brick. At least we recouped SOME money off of our awful ads and 1.2 billion dollar investments. How do you launch the euro Pre 3, the 64 Touchpad, and the Touchpad in general while knowing in 2 days you're ditching it all? They do it because they are crooks who took advantage of their early adopters and knew that there were a few fools out there who'd buy it day one. That's the ultimate poker face.

To be honest I am shocked that they didn't release an incomplete Pre 3 in the USA to try to unload inventory too.

Now were is that class action lawsuit?

Goodbye WebOS
    ogeneo and GTAFan9999 like this.
    I agree, HP really took advantage of early adopters. I also think management pulled the rug right from under the Palm GBU.
    David Vogt - Founder and administrator of Photography Union
    Follow me on Twitter! --- Add me on Facebook!
    Any sane person saw this coming from miles away.

I've been saying idiots are running this company.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdguy101 View Post
    Any sane person saw this coming from miles away.

I've been saying idiots are running this company.
    That's completely false. No company (except a really bad one) pays 1.2 billion dollars for a company, announces a pompous "think beyond" event, and then bails 6 weeks after the release of it's flagship tablet and 2 days about it's flagship phone.

Edit: Yes - Idiots are running this company. I was disagreeing with the first statement about any sane person.
    <thread merged>
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    I've had a Pre minus on Sprint since day 4 after launch, and this was my first smartphone. I've really enjoyed this OS, the open nature of it, and the user community.

First, my hat's off to you fellow users who've posted here for months and years and contributed so much to making this system fun to use and functional.

An even bigger hat's off to webOS Internals, homebrew developers and app developers in general who made the platform more than just a phone - it was tech that was fun and easy to use. Folks here are among the best.

I'm not sure what's next, but by late this year my 4 lines for my family move on to iOS or to Android, neither of which I want to move to but I want an active community and growing application base for my mobile computing.

Quote Originally Posted by jcohengd View Post
    Yes - Idiots are running this company.
    I've used HP products for 3 and 1/2 decades now (yeah, I'm old). HP calculators, the best of the best, got me through engineering school. I've used many HP products since then. Hewlett and Packard left a great, sound engineering and development legacy with the company.

Regarding today's upper "managers" of HP, I've only got one comment:

You morons aren't worthy to hold the used jock straps of Hewlett and Packard in your hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I guess they shouldn't have fired Mark Hurd. I'm sure he is laughing right now.
    part of the reason they have had declining sales, declining profits, losing pc share, etc. for so long is mark hurd. They were failing when they brought Leo in. Not to mention, Mark Hurd was at the helm when they bought Palm. They surely don't want his, profit killing, Palm buying decision making now. This is exactly the sort of thing they got Leo for.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by jp99 View Post
    You morons aren't worthy to hold the used jock straps of Hewlett and Packard in your hands.
    you've got that right!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I guess they shouldn't have fired Mark Hurd. I'm sure he is laughing right now.
    Dude what are you talking about? Do you remember when Hurd said this:

"We didn't buy Palm to be in the smartphone business. And I tell people that, but it doesn't seem to resonate well. We bought it for the IP. The WebOS is one of the two ground-up pieces of software that is built as a web operating environment...We have tens of millions of HP small form factor web-connected devices...Now imagine that being a web-connected environment where now you can get a common look and feel and a common set of services laid against that environment. That is a very value proposition."

Yes, he's even dumber than we thought. The only thing that WebOS had going for it was smartphones. Oh yeah, WebOS on a printer really made sense.

Regardless, they said they weren't in the smartphone business which proves why they only launched one WebOS smart (HP brand) in the 16 months they acquired Palm. Ironically they didn't release anything else either except the Touchpad. They messed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    what's your loss? They promised you a device, with a certain OS. Got it. They might have implied other feature sets were coming, but the product you bought had some features specified, which you got. They promised you an app store, which you have.

the only grounds for a CAL would be if they turned the servers off and made the profiles unusable.
    Class action lawsuit for defrauding the general public. I am sure they knew this was coming and wanted to release to the marketplace to try and recoup some of their money.
    Dearest WebOS family,

This has been a wonderful ride. I would like to thank all the developers, admids and supporters of WebOS. Together we have helped to advance the operating system into the greatest OS the world has ever seen. Now it may be time to move on. I have two TouchPads that I got on the 31st from B.B. and hope I can still return them. I'm sure I'll eat the covers. Then there was the cost of the apps before HP kicked in 50.00 x 2. In the end almost everyone here had some cost. Some more than other. The big money and time of the developers. Uuuuw that makes me want to scream.

Then the 2 Pre's out of contract with Sprint, 7 TS, 2 car mounts, 5 additional AC chargers and the 4 DC chargers. Where to go. Sure the "I" pads/phones work well but it's Apple. And android, so fragmented.

Wherever I go I hope I see most of you again. On a sister site. I Lov' ya' all. Take care and goodbye.

Your friend,
    Scott
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Herk_FE and EN4CER69 like this.
  12.    #672  
    You know.. the stuff still works and the OS is still being supported, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    my pres are dieing so what would you do. One of them has to be hit in order to even answer a call. And right now I am under 30 day return option on my HP's. I can still get my money back. I don't want to go but with all the uncertainty I have to cut my losses before I cant.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    But what's the value in having continued support of an OS if there are gaps in functionality and the developers who may have filled those gaps have been scared off?
    From the "we are in this for the long haul" and "its a marathon, not a sprint" folks at HP, I have to say that I could never imagine that HP would throw in the towel on WebOS after releasing a their premier product (the Veer was a Palm product) a month and a half ago. In that month in a half, HP had already managed to double the sales of Android tablets in the UK in July. It had achieved #2 mindshare among tablet makers (and who cares if Android is number 2 across all devices - each tablet maker makes just one! Samsung doesn't care if Android is #2 among all tablet makers if it is number #3? Does Lenovo care if Android is number #2 but Lenovo's Android tablets are #8?
    What in the world did HP expect? It is mind boggling that they did this. Really. All the companies that bought into it.
    I guess Lenovo and Samsung are probably the most likely options, if any, possibly HTC. Intel like anandtech said would probably be the best - they would make WebOS open source like MeeGo and build killer processors to work with WebOS. I hope that Ari Jaaksi can stay on - I am very impressed with what they did with MeeGo before Nokia canned it for Windows phone.
    There are going to be lots of people still interested in WebOS which may translate into something. The best tech journalist - Anandtech and Topolosky, Bonnie Cha at CNET, for example, really like WebOS.
    HP just lost so much credibility in the tech world it is unbelievable. They better sell their PC division now after announcing that they are selling or spinning it off. Who would buy their PCs?
    I predict that there printer business will suffer due to these moves as well. They just really harmed their brand.
    I am sat here feeling in a most surreal situation... waiting for the courier to bring me a shiny new Pre3.. but as this phone is truly now DOA, i will be refusing it and sending it back for a full refund.

Real shame.. I thought the day was really here, but there is no way I'm gunna stay with a phone/os that has had its arms and lets cut from its body and left for the torso to rot whilst a few dirty creatures pull off the last few decaying trophies..

Not I, time to move on, but to what?????

I want a phone with an ask the question get a straight answer OS and sporting a touch screen and PHYSICAL keyboard (The latter is a must)!

so, any recommendations lads??
    Finally Pre likes this.
    Has anyone experience of the Dell Venue Pro — Windows Phone 7 Smartphone ?
    Are they going to continue updating apps and finishing quickoffice? Without those 2 items finished its just a paper weight.
    Problem is, how can we still trust them? 2.x on legacy devices. Flash for the Pre. Document editing. Turns out all lies in the end. Now what to make of quotes like "we will continue webOS full steam" and such. Yeah suuure...
    Yeah, it was the lies and delays that led me to jump ship. I bought a Motorola Photon on July 30th. I miss the Pre. I'm even fantasizing about picking up a Pre 3 on ebay or something. But I wouldn't pay new-phone prices for a WebOS product right now, unless you like to collect obscure hardware.

Hey, I bet the touchpad would look very nice next to my NeXT.
    antijingoist likes this.