Page 33 of 62 FirstFirst ... 23282930313233343536373843 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by csal80 View Post
    My background is I was a major advocate for palm products going back some 10+ years. I owned all the phones that came out, even a launch day pre. I bragged about the operating system til I was blue in the face for a year and a half ... I still do! But at the end of the day, I just didn't have much confidence that webos could compete against the giants and I sadly jumped ship to an iphone. Since, I jumped over to the sister site TIPB and it quickly became apparent just how much more iphone, ipad and iOS are supported. By supported I mean by the market, by the company, by developers, etc. It is leaps and bounds better and stronger than the webos community, almost to points where I don't think webos could ever catch up no matter how good. I have been realizing this just through the sheer volume of published articles every day as compared to PreCentral with exciting news, new developments, etc etc. I could go on and on. Now living on the other side and having a direct comparison, it makes webos look quite pathetic. Now with the announcement of iOS 5, I really don't see webos ever having a chance. Everything that was great about webos with get absorbed and mirrored by the other operating systems thereby never giving webos a true competitive advantage. We are seeing this with developments that have come out and continue to come out in the iOS updates. The Pre 3 and Touchpad, when they do come out will already be obsolete and sad to say it, an epic fail. HP's lack of solid announcements, abysmal advertising, delayed launch and crappy delivery altogether is what is going to cause this. My prediction is webos is going to get scrapped in the next 12 months. In no way imaginable are they ever going to gain significant market share, not with apple at the helm!
    god did I call it!
    Waste of time. The have lawyers sitting around waiting for something to do. You'd be able to buy the mobile unit for the amount of money you would spend in court.

And as was said, all you'd get $15.00 off of you next purchase... from the app catalog.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Clearly the HP TouchPad and Veer (and Pre3) are prime examples of false advertising to mislead consumers. Touch to share with Veer? Document editing with QuickOffice? Citrix remote operability?

All of these were advertised by HP and now those of us who spent good money for these features will never see them. I think HP needs to recall these deceptively-advertised products and issue refunds. Otherwise let the lawyers bleed them.
    you have zero chance of winning a class action suit. what you describe is a failed product. by your rational any device that is mentioned as part of product family that fails in the market would be subject to lawsuit and no court in America is going to tank the American economy by considering that actionable.

to be an actionable misrepresentation you have to prove that HP KNOWINGLY misrepresented their product. And such a claim could easily be rebutted by presenting streams of research and development documents. For there to be a misrepresentation they'd have to know the statement about the veers and touch to share, etc were false when they made them. There is no proof of that. Not to mention the very presentation in Feb where they demonstrated things like touch to share would be excellent evidence that they had a good faith belief, at the time, that they could deliver theses products and that the products actually exist. I mean they worked. Not to mention they continued to demostrate the products for months after and actually launched the touchpad and veer. This is nothing more then disappointment being vented but the idea that there has been a fraud is pretty laughable.There's no fraud. there is a failure.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    The Pre3 is no more:

BREAKING: HP shutting down webOS device operations, will "continue to explore options"

You actually got out just in time. Imagine if you would have paid $500 off-contract for a Pre3 and then HP shut us down.
    I was just thinking that.

I hope developers take the best ideas from WebOS and implement them on other platforms.

This probably isn't the best thread for it, but a big thanks to all the great Homebrew developers who helped us all so much over the years.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    The reality is that HP has been cooking this for weeks, if not from July 1. You don't make a decision to kill a product line overnight. Staples got a heads up and offered $100 off to blow out inventory. BestBuy didn't get the same and is left holding the bag on a couple hundred thousand units.

The biggest loser is the consumer and it may very well make a viable class action suit. Did HP conspire with retailers to drag early adopters past their return periods? Did they dangle the "OS update" as a carrot to delay returns?

Was this the plan from day 1? They produced a bunch of hardware and needed to dump it?

Sounds fishy
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    The reality is that HP has been cooking this for weeks, if not from July 1. You don't make a decision to kill a product line overnight. Staples got a heads up and offered $100 off to blow out inventory. BestBuy didn't get the same and is left holding the bag on a couple hundred thousand units.

The biggest loser is the consumer and it may very well make a viable class action suit. Did HP conspire with retailers to drag early adopters past their return periods? Did they dangle the "OS update" as a carrot to delay returns?

Was this the plan from day 1? They produced a bunch of hardware and needed to dump it?

Sounds fishy
    I hate the smell of fish
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    oh god, here come the lawyers...
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Why. All I want to know is why. Why why why why why.

Why was I so stupid to think that investing time into this OS was a good idea.

I was wrong; webOS is a dying platform.

I am saddened.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Just tell me where to sign up.

If I can keep my TP and get compensation from HP it won't be a total loss. I'll just remove all references to HP through patches/sticker for the back.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    simseysyd likes this.
    Dear precentral & community,
    I was a wee lad when I broke the NDA and published a video of webOS 2.0, since then Youtube and this community have shown me how an OS can be more than just what makes a device ticks. I have been a Verizon Pre+ owner since launch day 2. iOS and Android's community are filled with people that are simply out to get you. The webOS community has probably been the best and most supportive of their devices. webOS is the ONLY operating system where everything just 'works' and you can simply just get work done. Today, is a sad day. All of my computers and printers are from HP, wonderful customer support and great products. How HP could simply throw webOS in the trash can baffles me. All the people i've met through out the webOS community have influenced me. Having good relations with the company that gives you the OS and with other members of the community. Using webOS and interacting with the people that make up the community has been absolutely exhilarating. What I will do with my youtube channel, I do not know. I have an upgrade soon but I will drive my Pre + in to the ground. I hope that one day, webOS will be licensed, but now, we must move on and keep using our Touchpads, Pre's, veers and pixi's. Someday there will be something new, and we won't be let down, but for now there is not much to say.
    RIP webos

--webos1337
    I don't see how this could fly. That said, I think every TouchPad owner should be entitled to a full refund.
    what's your loss? They promised you a device, with a certain OS. Got it. They might have implied other feature sets were coming, but the product you bought had some features specified, which you got. They promised you an app store, which you have.

the only grounds for a CAL would be if they turned the servers off and made the profiles unusable.
    You don't have to sue. Write a nice letter, explaining your position to HP. And promise to never spend another dime on any of their products again. Let their spinoff know the same, and tell everyone you know to do the same. In capitalist society we vote with our wallets, don't ever vote for HP again.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    I just had to post here. I will add my name to the list of "I told you so" posts. It's painful to see, but let this be a lesson about loyalty and corporate decision-making. They are with you until they're not. It's that simple. This was a $1.2 billion experiment that failed miserably. What's worse, all they had to do was read these forums and they could have known that before they bought the company.

RIM will be right behind them with the Playbook except they have enough of an installed base to fool themselves for a couple more quarters. Having been a business consultant to companies like this, I can't say I'm shocked. Dismayed is more like it. WebOS will die a long slow death like GEOs (look it up). It will be another smart OS that finds its way into myriad devices, but never gains a mass following.

As a USROBOTICS Palm owner and devotee since 1995, I sickened, but the writing has been on the wall for 5 years. Earlier this year, I bought my iPad (shouldda got a Galaxy Tab 10.1) and I'm not looking back.
    so I guess hellonnnewman is going to move every thread into here now? maybe just a front page redirect to this thread...

weak sauce, HP.
    ogeneo likes this.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I just got a return label from HP to send my Touchpad back. I hope HP finds a licensee for WebOS or makes it open source, because it really had potential. (Maybe I'll buy a $10 TP on eBay for tinkering!) Until then, THANKS HOMEBREWERS AND WEBOSINTERNALS - you made it fun.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    PS - I'd encourage everyone to spend the $50 app credit before returning their TPs - that way HP will have to pay the developers who gave it a shot before they turn off the lights.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Yup.....why?
    This is what they meant by "making it right"?
    I guess they shouldn't have fired Mark Hurd. I'm sure he is laughing right now.