Page 32 of 62 FirstFirst ... 22272829303132333435363742 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    I would also suggest waiting for a package deal with the pre3 and TP if you are thinking about it. Def avoid getting pre3 on release if you could.

also seems ios has been postponed to oct. My guess is if that phone really is LTE they are having lots of issues getting things to work right. So I would avoid getting the new iphone until they at least release an update. If it's LTE, if not then go fo it, but I think the ipad and iphone combo does not seem as appealing as a TP and pe3 to me =)
    <thread merged>
    I fear that a lot of people who are angry about the Pre3 coming out now are going to be even angrier in a few months when the HP slab is announced and retails within days or weeks (because it wasn't announced months in advance, when the announcement would've let them avoid buying the Pre3 or the iPhone 5)
    Update: I am still debating between keeping the Photon and trying to get a Franken Pre 2. Here are the advantages and disadvantages I see to both right now:

Photon advantages/Pre disadvantages:
    * Photon has fast response, boots fast, recognizes when I touch the screen. The Pre takes forever to boot up, and I have to reboot it a lot as it often runs into "too many cards". It also bogs down and gets very slow to notice that I've tapped it.
    * Photon email gives me feedback as to whether it is working, and except when I have been out of radio range, it has worked very reliably. Pre sometimes says "connection error", but sometimes it just doesn't download stuff for no reason I can discern.
    * Pre ring tone is so quiet I often miss it. My husband complains about my "one way phone".
    * The Photon has a beautiful large screen
    * I can use Netflix on the Photon. And it's super easy to use the built-in navigation to get to a friend's house, or to any other place in my contact list, either from "here" or from any other place in my contact list.
    * Photon calendar app loads quickly and the week view shows what each appointment is. Pre calendar loads glacially slowly and I need to look at a specific day to see its items in detail.
    * Photon uses a popular operating system that is still under development, and for which 3rd party apps are constantly developed. Pre . . . alas, no and no.

Photon disadvantages/Pre Advantages:
    * Pre has a decent keyboard. I am slowly getting used to Swype, but I miss my keyboard.
    * Pre alerts are a little more informative, and go away by themselves when they are no longer relevant. For instance, after checking my email on the Photon I still have to go and manually clear out the alert re new mail. The Pre knows that I've checked my mail and does that for me.
    * Photon often fails to make or receive sound when there's a phone call. I need to reboot it to reactivate a useful phone.
    * The extended life battery on the Pre easily lasts all day with heavy useage. The Photon's battery is good for perhaps 10-12 hours with my normal useage, less with heavy useage, and I will have to manage its power every day.
    * The Pre fits easily in my pockets, and the screen is large enough for almost everything I've ever wanted to do.
    * I can use Facebook on the Pre without worrying about Facebook automatically reporting my location to the world, or just about Facebook knowing where I am all day long. In general, permissions to apps work much better on the Pre. I'm also less worried about HP "spying" on my than Google. HP isn't in the business of selling user data, and is unlikely to enter that business in the foreseeable future.
    * I can set the Pre's calendar to open to this week. Photon's calendar oddly opens to the last date I looked at, which often confuses me.
    * "Just type"works beautifully for a large fraction of what I want to do. Despite the Pre's slow response time, I routinely beat friends with Androids and iPhones at looking up random stuff on the web because of "just type". It's good for calling friends and sending emails to friends, too.
    * In general, the interface of stuff on the Pre is better thought out, especially once you tweak it. Want to start a new email? Send this email? Delete this email you've just read? Delete this email that has just arrive in your inbox? A single quick touch or gesture will do any of those. All of those take at least two actions or a "long" action on the Photon. Lots of other annoying extra clicks, too.
    * I can find the options I want to set in the Pre. Want to authorize a new wifi server? touch the wifi symbol and the interface is right there. I can't seem to figure out how to open that dialog on the Photon, except when there's an alert "wifi available". That's an annoying alert as it keep popping up if I don't use the wifi, by the way.
    (And if there's a way to de-authorize a wifi server, I can't figure it out. That's something I often did with the Pre. I might sometimes use wifi at an airport if there happened to be a good free offer, but if there wasn't, the phone data worked more smoothly if it wasn't trying to check wifi, so I would turn that off again. Perhaps this can be done but I haven't figured out how, yet.)

I may come back and add to this. I'm sure I've left stuff out. Right now I am leaning towards going with "works reliably if in a slightly clunky way, and spies on me" over "beautiful interface when it works".
    Hey everyone, I really wanted to say thanks to everyone here. I am switching to android kicking and screaming. A sincere thank you to the developers...while meager, I hope my donations helped the platform. You guys rock.
    Today my sprint pre- is having weird battery issues. Anything close to 50% goes to zero within seconds. I've tried other batteries and still the same issue. This is my 4th pre. The refurb replacements all seem to be worse or have other issues not present on my current device. For example, 1st pre had oreo effect and random restarts. Sprint replaced it with a pre with dead pixels and a keys that wouldn't work.

Hard to believe it takes HP so long to release a phone. 2 years since I'm on sprint. Meanwhile HTC is in the news for investing in Beats Audio for their new smartphones for the holidays.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    get the motorola photon. Thats what i did. There are SOOOO MANY APPS, everything you want to do is free. You will miss the gestures and cards really bad, but its so fast. I still think WebOS is a better opperating system but Android is a superior ecosystem right now, with phones that are top end and thus developers creating great apps. Android phones are easy to root too so you can do alot of the cute things you did with webos
    I just moved to an evo shift, got a brand new one for dirt cheap so I couldn't pass. My Pre- was too old to do much, and I got the Evo for 1/4 of what a Pre2 would run me.

I miss WebOS, but the hardware is definitely better on the Evo.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Let me say that I am a webOS fan. I still have my Pre from June, 2009. I love it. I canít wait for the Pre3.

I had high expectations for the Touchpad. I was sorely disappointed. First off, where was webOS? No wave launcher, no gestures!!!!!!!!! Canít throw away cards from the side, etc, etc. This wasnít webOS 3.0, but some poor attempt at copying the great OS and a poor job at that. HPís initial release should not have been dubbed 3.0, but beta.

But thatís not why I took it back. I took it back due to the design flaw. I know the homebrew devs will bring the Touchpad software up to where it should be, like they did with my Pre-. I have had two Touchpads in a row that both developed cracks along the left side speaker. Thatís what I get for buying something all plastic. Now I wait for the next design or buy (yes, Iím sad to say) an iPad3.
    did your TP fall and develop cracks?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    No, in my opinion, there is a design flaw. See HP TouchPad owners reporting cracks appearing in the device's plastic housing.

My guess is that something is heating up the case when it's on and then when it cools, a crack develops. I say that because all the cracks develop in the same location.
    Quote Originally Posted by 74256274 View Post
    No, in my opinion, there is a design flaw. See HP TouchPad owners reporting cracks appearing in the device's plastic housing.

My guess is that something is heating up the case when it's on and then when it cools, a crack develops. I say that because all the cracks develop in the same location.
    I don't know about the cause of the cracks, but I'd have to agree there's something in the design. I got the left side speaker crack as well, and unlike some who seem to indicate theirs arrived with a crack, mine developed over time and only appeared about a week ago.

Of course, I like the TouchPad so far and didn't want to play roulette with getting a refurb, so I glued the sucker back in place for now.
    Well I have about 7 apps waiting for updates on my UK pre- 2.1, some free some paid. All of them get "download failed" probably linked to the OP!

Consequently it is the last straw for me, as you can see from the bottom of the post! I still love webOS and will vow to return when I can pick up a pre 3 direct from HP through the employee buying program for a good price thanks to a good friend of mine!

May I say this is a fantastic site with a gr8 community and I will continue to visit precentral often!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
    So sad about Pre 3 finally existing, and my having left for Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzlegal View Post
    So sad about Pre 3 finally existing, and my having left for Android.
    The Pre3 is no more:

BREAKING: HP shutting down webOS device operations, will "continue to explore options"

You actually got out just in time. Imagine if you would have paid $500 off-contract for a Pre3 and then HP shut us down.

I bet a hundred new threads get merged into this one in the next 24 hours...
  16.    #636  
    Are so certain that this is what the announcement means for sure. Could it simply be that they are stopping in-house hardware development and simply licensing webOS? This isn't AndroidCentral yet, Milo.

Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    The Pre3 is no more:

BREAKING: HP shutting down webOS device operations, will "continue to explore options"

You actually got out just in time. Imagine if you would have paid $500 off-contract for a Pre3 and then HP shut us down.

I bet a hundred new threads get merged into this one in the next 24 hours...
    bevcraw likes this.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Clearly the HP TouchPad and Veer (and Pre3) are prime examples of false advertising to mislead consumers. Touch to share with Veer? Document editing with QuickOffice? Citrix remote operability?

All of these were advertised by HP and now those of us who spent good money for these features will never see them. I think HP needs to recall these deceptively-advertised products and issue refunds. Otherwise let the lawyers bleed them.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    I don't think that any of this was carefully thought out.

Leo came in late last year and said what he intended to do. And he did it.

And if we had enough people to have a class action lawsuit, webOS devices would not have been discontinued. It would have been sold.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/18/2011 at 04:11 PM.
    Last time I was in a Class Action lawsuit was for Iomega's Click of Death Fiasco and you know what we got from the courts as settlement "$15 off your next Iomega purchase."

In other words NADA and I haven't purchased a Iomega product since. Sorli...
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Of course you can't "win" but you can punish.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0