Page 31 of 62 FirstFirst ... 21262728293031323334353641 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes
  1.    #601  
    <<merged>>
    Ahhhh just one month to go before I can leave this evil beta test behind.

I was a palm fan. I LOVED my Centro. But my Pre - with Sprint has taken its toll as it has for many of you. It is ovious that palm was and is not a player in the modern world of handheld devices. Oh yea, they were "the thing" and they started alot of what is going on today. But as of today, and actually two years ago, they are your betamax tapes on the shelf you just can't toss out. The software and hardware is SO outdated and the support and updates......well I think that speaks for itself.

I now look to the future. To the iphone 5 that I hope will excite me and work for me as did my Centro and other old phones. I dont want to be a beta tester any more. Where I dont have to wait for updates that will make my phone keep the right time and not shut down after I make a call and try to send a text message. I hope I will be able to get through more that 6 hours on a battery charge. Ahhh the simple things......

To you HP and your endevour; I wish you well in trying to make something out of the mess you bought. I hope you reward future beta testers, and at least tell them that they are just that , by giving them more than commercials for products that never show.

And most of all to all those who, as I, would click on PreCentral; who looked for news that never came, about products we only could dream about. I wish you the best. It's not easy being a Pepsi in a Coke world. Some times its just better to throw the Pepsi down and go get a Coke.
    I've been patiently waiting for the release of the Pre 3.. I have now become board with the wait and feel the phone will not be cutting edge as I'd have hoped!

I hear the iPhone 5 maybe out in Sept/Oct, so really feel I should wait and see what their offering will be... I have never had an iPhone, but tinkered with a few owned by friends and have been impressed. Coupled with the fact that I can have any app in the world, may just swing it for me...!

Any how, the Pre 3 delay and the new iphone 5 pending makes me feel like waiting a tad longer...

or

Should I just get a HTC Sensation or Mango Windows phone

iPhone 5 hasnt even been announced or hinted at by Apple that I'm aware of. All I have read are people making rumors because they EXPECT apple to release a new phone this year.

I myself will be getting a Pre 3 when it is releases. But if I had to choose another OS, I would go with Windows Phone 7.
    I've used webos,android,and ios and would pick the pre3 over any android or ios superphone. I love the portrait slider form factor that and couple the pre 3's feature with my newly acquired touchpad and it can do things no other tablet/phone combo can do on the market today. I can't wait till I'm able to come home and just set my pre3 on the touchstone and leave it there. Answering text messages and phone calls on the touchpad is going to be so nice.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    redmist, Andyf and tonyw like this.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Well, I've had a TP since Wednesday. Sadly, it will be going back to Best Buy tomorrow morning. I am very sad, very sad.

I really like the interface, love the smooth movement, the fact that it's not constrained like ipad (I returned an iPad last week in order to buy the TP). All of my computers are HP, all of my printers are HP. I was getting excited about the Palm Pre3 phone. Learning about preware, homebrew, cool stuff.

Alas, the TP has connection problems on some WPA2 systems at universities and I work at one. I've been moving along, cobbling together makeshift wifi. Just got my 'Level 3' call a few minutes ago. They want me to get the fifth(or sixth) largest university in the U.S. to change its routers and its encryption system. Really? I explained that the only gadgets that cannot connect (with proper login) are HP Touchpads and some Palm phones. The caller seemed reluctant to believe me. He insisted that there must be some problem at the university. He also reminded me twice that the TP is NOT a computer.

On this issue, I feel the university IT is right. I asked him if he thought a fix would come soon and he said the engineers would look into it. I asked if we should advise the 8300 incoming freshmen to return theirs (I assume some bought them this week) while they still could and he seemed to want to say yes. So I will. What good would a tablet be that can't be connected to anything?

So, back to my HP mini 2140. I miss you already, TP.
    will best buy charge you a 15% restocking fee?
    Well sorry to see you go. I guess in your situation the TP is not a good choice for you. Just out of curiosity did the iPad connect to your university's wifi or did it too have problems? Funny enough I also have an HP mini as well, enjoyed it but using it a lot less now that I have a touchpad.
    A level 3 tech told you that the TP isn't a computer? That's a bit inaccurate.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Ipads, iphones, androids (phones and tabs), laptops, Blackberry, absolutely anything with a wifi can connect (seamlessly) except for TP and some Palm phones. It's something whacky in the WPA2 encryption. I forgot to add that the Level 2 person yesterday told me that I should set the TP settings manually once I was connected to the wifi (yeah, but I can't get connected). I'm sure it's a simple software fix on the HP end, like allowing you to manually configure settings BEFORE you are connected.

Best Buy has 100% refund during the first 14 days, no restocking fee. I hope the freshmen (and others) who bought one can get them returned. What a shame. How nice to carry instead of textbooks.

I will not go to iPad (flash needed for work stuff). Androids are a weird proportion. I hope they can fix the TP problems. If they do, I will buy another. I guess I could wait for the 4G model. Sigh.
    What was the technician asking you to change. I have connection problems also but have more control over my router than you of your university settings..

QUOTE=ksevern;3065049]Well, I've had a TP since Wednesday. Sadly, it will be going back to Best Buy tomorrow morning. I am very sad, very sad.

I really like the interface, love the smooth movement, the fact that it's not constrained like ipad (I returned an iPad last week in order to buy the TP). All of my computers are HP, all of my printers are HP. I was getting excited about the Palm Pre3 phone. Learning about preware, homebrew, cool stuff.

Alas, the TP has connection problems on some WPA2 systems at universities and I work at one. I've been moving along, cobbling together makeshift wifi. Just got my 'Level 3' call a few minutes ago. They want me to get the fifth(or sixth) largest university in the U.S. to change its routers and its encryption system. Really? I explained that the only gadgets that cannot connect (with proper login) are HP Touchpads and some Palm phones. The caller seemed reluctant to believe me. He insisted that there must be some problem at the university. He also reminded me twice that the TP is NOT a computer.

On this issue, I feel the university IT is right. I asked him if he thought a fix would come soon and he said the engineers would look into it. I asked if we should advise the 8300 incoming freshmen to return theirs (I assume some bought them this week) while they still could and he seemed to want to say yes. So I will. What good would a tablet be that can't be connected to anything?

So, back to my HP mini 2140. I miss you already, TP.[/QUOTE]
    tweet your issue now to DeWitt @SWDATHP and kerris @richardkerris and you will get it looked into
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    The tech wanted me to change the university's encryption system from WPA2 to WEP and use a 10 character password. Which ain't gonna happen so I can use my TP.

All along, I wanted to be able to see what the default settings were for the wifi connection on the TP and change them if necessary (PEAP, AES, etc.), but that option is not available on the Touchpad. For instance, to access my office email on my iPhone, I had to change the default port settings on smtp relays in order to gain access via the phone. WPA2 is not an option for network type on the TP, but Enterprise is, and the techs said that was the one to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by ksevern View Post
    Well, I've had a TP since Wednesday. Sadly, it will be going back to Best Buy tomorrow morning. I am very sad, very sad.

I really like the interface, love the smooth movement, the fact that it's not constrained like (I returned an iPad last week in order to buy the TP). All of my computers are HP, all of my printers are HP. I was getting excited about the Palm Pre3 phone. Learning about preware, homebrew, cool stuff.

Alas, the TP has connection problems on some WPA2 systems at universities and I work at one. I've been moving along, cobbling together makeshift wifi. Just got my 'Level 3' call a few minutes ago. They want me to get the fifth(or sixth) largest university in the U.S. to change its routers and its encryption system. Really? I explained that the only gadgets that cannot connect (with proper login) are and some Palm phones. The caller seemed reluctant to believe me. He insisted that there must be some problem at the university. He also reminded me twice that the TP is NOT a computer.

So, back to my HP mini 2140. I miss you already, TP.
    Is the problem with the login or obtaining an IP address?
    The tech wanted me to change the university's encryption system from WPA2 to WEP and use a 10 character password.
    If that weren't so pathetic it would be funny.
    ksevern likes this.
    The tech wanted me to change the university's encryption system from WPA2 to WEP and use a 10 character password. Which ain't gonna happen so I can use my TP.

All along, I wanted to be able to see what the default settings were for the wifi connection on the TP and change them if necessary (PEAP, AES, etc.), but that option is not available on the Touchpad. For instance, to access my office email on my , I had to change the default port settings on smtp relays in order to gain access via the phone. WPA2 is not an option for network type on the TP, but Enterprise is, and the techs said that was the one to use.
    The Touchpad should auto detect the encrytion type. I use WPA2, TKIP+AES on my home network. Both my Pre and Touchpad detect the encrytion type fine and ask for a password. I did not have to set anything. I do have to manually assign an IP address to them, but that is only at home. DHCP works everywhere else I've taken my Touchpad. The only other issues I've seen with wifi on webOS devices are with HTTP login, which I believe is fixed on the Touchpad but not on webOS 1.4.5 devices.

Have you taken your Touchpad to the University's IT department? I'm a networking major and I know the IT departments at most colleges love to play around with stuff like this (its a challenge!). They should be able to give you hand. Especially if other students at the university will also be using similar devices.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Yes, I have been with the IT folks. None are webOS people, mostly windows. (our university uses Dells and HPs with a handful of macs ).

bluenote, I don't really know how to do that tweet thing, but I will try. I was really put off by the level 3 tech person. I also don't know what to send them in 200 characters. That I'm mad, angry, sad, po'd? If they can't fix it in about two days, it won't matter anyway because I will not risk my $500 hoping they can make it right.
    Yes, I have been with the IT folks. None are webOS people, mostly windows. (our university uses Dells and HPs with a handful of macs ).

bluenote, I don't really know how to do that tweet thing, but I will try. I was really put off by the level 3 tech person. I also don't know what to send them in 200 characters. That I'm mad, angry, sad, po'd? If they can't fix it in about two days, it won't matter anyway because I will not risk my $500 hoping they can make it right.
    try :staff at (fill in name) university unable to connect touchpad to wifi; please advise
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    try :staff at (fill in name) university unable to connect touchpad to wifi; please advise
    good job. you may wish to delete tweet as it has your email., tweet again without email and you can send it privately too
    Looks like I might keep thinking beyond... but beyond what ?