Page 30 of 62 FirstFirst ... 20252627282930313233343540 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes
  1.    #581  
    <<merged>>
    It would be preferable to simply have the browser be good enough to load desktop sites, which is the direction they want to go in anyway.
    Yeah, I'm done. It's time to admit I was wrong that webOS would ever compete. It's been beaten into the ground by an slow, fat, bloated, arrogant, misinformed, stupidly managed company which goes by the name HP.

I don't know why I clung to this platform so long. Terrible customer service. Poor build quality. Overpriced products. No apps. Missing hardware. Extremely buggy software. I don't even want the Pre3 anymore. <<mod delete>>
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/31/2011 at 06:58 PM. Reason: language
    Global Posts
    487 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Yeah, I'm done. It's time to admit I was wrong that webOS would ever compete. It's been beaten into the ground by an slow, fat, bloated, arrogant, misinformed, stupidly managed company which goes by the name HP.

I don't know why I clung to this platform so long. Terrible customer service. Poor build quality. Overpriced products. No apps. Missing hardware. Extremely buggy software. I don't even want the Pre3 anymore. <<mod delete>>.
    Palm killed Webos not HP. Terrible hardware and buggy software isn't a recipe for success.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/31/2011 at 06:59 PM. Reason: language in quoted text
    Well, today marks my 3rd leave from webOS. This time is most likely permanent. Not so much that its a choice i wanted to make, just that its more convenient for my life.
    I really do love webOS as an operating system, but as the app store goes, compatibility with my car (which i travel a lot in) (has ipod jack that controls it from on screen, not from the ipod/iphone), house (we have like 3 or 4 iHomes, along with a stereo with build in port.)
    It just seems it would make so many things easier in my life if i just made the switch to IOS. I will still of course keep a watchful eye or webOS, i may even make a return. Who knows.
    But with that i leave you my fond farewell and a good luck.
    Current: Palm Pre 2
    History: [Palm] Pre Plus - [IOS] iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G - [Blackberry] Pearl 8120, Storm 9530, Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Torch 9800 - [WP7] HTC HD7S - [WM] HTC Fuze - [Android] HTC Aria
  6.    #586  
    LOL... everyone makes it sound like they are breaking up forever with a girlfriend. It's just a phone and nothing is ever permanent. Good luck and enjoy your new phone.... keep an eye on webOS and perhaps you'll see something you like in the future.
    the only phones I'd consider jumping to from webOS right now are either the Samsung Galaxy S2 or the iPhone 5. Both are faster, better screens, better cameras.
    My days with the TP has been a mix of joy and sadness. The joy came from the beautiful WebOS card based OS that is a delight to use. I found myself not wanting to pick up my iphone4 with it's elementary user interface as I was starving for... cards... and more cards. The physical interaction with your work via cards is so powerful, multi-tasking made pleasurable.

Sadly, the reality started seeping in when I realized that I wasn't REALLY multi-taking at all. I wasn't multi-tasking becuase there were no REAL tasks being completed. All I could do on the TP is simply consume content. A pleasurable experience for certain when compared to having a hot laptop on your lap while your wife is tripping over the power cord. But I had to ask myself just how productive is the TP going to allow me to be??

Owning the TP is like having the woman of your dreams in front of you as she tells you how much she loves you, only to find out there is a thick glass wall keeping you two apart. If all you want to do is sit and watch then life is fine for you. But, if you want to create something beautiful between the two of you, prepare for your heart to be broken, at least for a long while.

If you bought your TP to simply consume information, keep up on your email and be plugged into the social scene within the digital universe, then I would say keep your TP and enjoy the ride as it will only get better.

If you bought the TP as a tool to be productive with, something a little less then a laptop but that can still be used as a tresure chest of idea generation, task orientation and document creation, you are running with an idea and hope when HP and the TP are simply just crawling. [In fact, when it comes to document creation and editing they are not even crawling as there is ZERO, NOTHING, NO document editing ability available on the TP (and no, the memo app does not count for anyone over the age of 12)].

And so it so painfully dawned on me just how big of a step it is going to take from tuning the potential of WebOS and its multi-tasking into something really powerful. The fact is, I know I can be twice as productive on my iphone 4 with no external keyboard then I can be on the TP today. We are still looking at years of work to really get that glass wall removed and to let the real experience get underway. <mod edit>

I do however feel HP is headed in the right direction as the foundation has been laid for what could be a bright future. It is true that this is all really a marathon and not a sprint. Hopefully developers will believe this too because the long term success of WebOS is dependent on it. I know the tablet market space is still very young but only being able to offer this guy a trip to first base, when others are offering much more, just leaves me wishing I had money to support the underdog. But HP is no underdog, they are huge and will need to bring every inch into play in order to reach their potiential. So I wash my hands of it, because it is the right thing to do... for me anyhow. I will see you all around in a couple of years when WebOS can offer more than just foreplay.

Paul
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 08/01/2011 at 11:40 PM.
    Change the PrPrPr-? $Ok$.
    Change PrPrPr- $to$ $EVO$? $Pooouuuuuuuuuuutzgrila$...

Look in the market: Galaxy S2 is "the guy"! Very, very impressive, really!!

If have to change; so, change to something better!!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    I feel like Im back over 2 1/2 years ago when I was starting to look into other platforms because Palm had stopped evolving, I thought. I needed another ecosystem that fit my needs just like PalmOS had for so many years. Over several months I looked to other platforms then Palm announced the Pre and WebOS. I was hooked, from then on I have been reading almost every day what was going on with Palm/WebOS/HP. I was not a day one Pre buyer I always wait for companies to work out there bugs. I got my Pre in November of that year because my Treo fell into a bucket of water, oh well.

I was waiting for syncing to get better as well as word processing and spreadsheets to work. Sadly, none of that has happen even after 2 years. This is a vitally important area to me and others. In PalmOS the syncing was awesome, I could drop a phone in a bucket of water, obtain another phone sync it with my computer and now Im up and running where I last synced. I needed this more than once. I cant over state the importance of this feature. What we have been given with WebOS is syncing that kinda works but not really, that I would not TRUST like I did with PalmOS. This needs to be HP driven not 3rd party. I have years of info I want to keep on my phone like contacts, calendar, and notes, etc. I have resorted to keeping people , lists, etc. written on paper because the phone does not sync wellI thought this would have gotten better even with 3rd party options. Most of us want a simple solution not some convoluted way of may be getting it to work. This is where I very much miss PalmOS.

Im not going to even get into what other apps we dont have in WebOS, there are many and are varied. I will not get into make it right, just give me phones on all carriers not money or a discount.

I have been a Palm fan for many years and a WebOS fan as well. What HP could do with WebOS has kept many of us here, but potential is the hoping for something not the doing of it. I could keep going but I will leave it there.

Now, Im back to where I was 2 years ago. It seems to me that HP will not or cant put a phone on my network, Sprint. I may move but I have not made that decision. The real question is, do I want to? Do I want to continue with HPs WebOS?... Not sure. What I do know is that I will look into other systems to see if they will fit my needs better. By the way HP, that process began several months after you said in the coming months. I look with a sad heart, I have not left yet but time is growing close. I wait for your reply.
    My wife and I have been able to upgrade since last year. I was holding out with anticipation for the Pre 3. If I bought new phones last year I would've still been eligible next month for a new phone. This time around I'm not waiting. The Pre 3 even if released on Sprint will be a generation behind like the touchpad. More than likely Pre 3 won't have doc editing, a better calendar, a better task app, less than 1min boot time or HD video recording. Multi-tasking is overrated especially since everyone is now copying the idea. I can't do the whole patching / preware thing again. Or wait months for an update for doc support which never happens (remember the pre- promise w/ docs2go).

Aside from all that, our pre's are on their last legs. My wife's power button is stuck and my keyboard has issues along with the battery not lasting an hour. We're on our 3rd and 4th Sprint pres respectively. I'll probably get her whatever cheap android phone is out now. I'm somewhat holding out for the Pre 3 unless Windows Phone HTC Mazaa for Sprint comes out first (Sept?). By the time Pre 4, comes out I'll be ready to move back to webos. Hopefully the specs will be current or HP starts licensing webos to HTC or Motorola. Speaking of windows they are supposed to be launching 7 new phones in Sept. How is it that HP can't release more than two (?) in one calendar year?
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    We should develop an acronym or something for all these threads. Something like... YAPCoT. Yet Another Pre3 Complaint Thread.
    tooearly and Cantaffordit like this.
    Pre 3 has 720p HD video recording.
    I am waiting for the android Ice Cream Sandwhich phones to come out this fall for Sprint...then I am making the switch. Dont want to...but don't have a choice with no Pre3 on Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by wingcutter View Post
    My days with the TP has been a mix of joy and sadness. The joy came from the beautiful WebOS card based OS that is a delight to use. I found myself not wanting to pick up my iphone4 with it's elementary user interface as I was starving for... cards... and more cards. The physical interaction with your work via cards is so powerful, multi-tasking made pleasurable.

Sadly, the reality started seeping in when I realized that I wasn't REALLY multi-taking at all. I wasn't multi-tasking becuase there were no REAL tasks being completed. All I could do on the TP is simply consume content. A pleasurable experience for certain when compared to having a hot laptop on your lap while your wife is tripping over the power cord. But I had to ask myself just how productive is the TP going to allow me to be??

Owning the TP is like having the woman of your dreams in front of you as she tells you how much she loves you, only to find out there is a thick glass wall keeping you two apart. If all you want to do is sit and watch then life is fine for you. But, if you want to create something beautiful between the two of you, prepare for your heart to be broken, at least for a long while.

If you bought your TP to simply consume information, keep up on your email and be plugged into the social scene within the digital universe, then I would say keep your TP and enjoy the ride as it will only get better.

If you bought the TP as a tool to be productive with, something a little less then a laptop but that can still be used as a tresure chest of idea generation, task orientation and document creation, you are running with an idea and hope when HP and the TP are simply just crawling. [In fact, when it comes to document creation and editing they are not even crawling as there is ZERO, NOTHING, NO document editing ability available on the TP (and no, the memo app does not count for anyone over the age of 12)].

And so it so painfully dawned on me just how big of a step it is going to take from tuning the potential of WebOS and its multi-tasking into something really powerful. The fact is, I know I can be twice as productive on my iphone 4 with no external keyboard then I can be on the TP today. We are still looking at years of work to really get that glass wall removed and to let the real experience get underway. <mod edit>

I do however feel HP is headed in the right direction as the foundation has been laid for what could be a bright future. It is true that this is all really a marathon and not a sprint. Hopefully developers will believe this too because the long term success of WebOS is dependent on it. I know the tablet market space is still very young but only being able to offer this guy a trip to first base, when others are offering much more, just leaves me wishing I had money to support the underdog. But HP is no underdog, they are huge and will need to bring every inch into play in order to reach their potiential. So I wash my hands of it, because it is the right thing to do... for me anyhow. I will see you all around in a couple of years when WebOS can offer more than just foreplay.

Paul
    Actually, I think this is the market for tablets! Their niche is for information consumption. That is surfing, games, and reading ... e-mails, PDFs, e-books, etc. You are not going to do significant information creation without a keyboard, stylus, excellent microphone, etc. The smartphone will sit at the bottom of this hierarchy with the full blown laptop/desktop at the top. So, if you want to use the TouchPad, at least, for significant info creation, that is not a good fit currently and might not be in the long run. Certainly for minimal info creation, i.e., short e-mail, jotting down notes, filling out forms, etc. the virtual keyboard is fine. But a person using a virtual keyboard will NEVER product more output than a touch typist, even a slow one! So, as many have said ... if it works for you, go for it! If not, don't!
    milominderbinde likes this.
    Well, I finally gave up. No development, so sign of an upgrade for Sprint. And I bought a Photon.

Initial thoughts:
    The new phone is so BIG. I picked up the Pre this morning, and it looks so shiny and sleek and elegant. Yeah, I know you all had hardware problems, but I didn't, and mine looks like new, except for the Phantom Skinz I applied.

The big screen is sort of nice. The email client I am using (K9) is a little more flexible than the Pre's. I love that it is responsive. My Pre stops to "think" so often. That's really the killer feature of the Photon over the Pre. Oh, and it's a world phone on Sprint, which is nice.

The thing I miss most is "just type". I suppose I haven't learned my way around, yet, so it's not a fair comparison, but I have to press so many buttons to do anything. There's nothing I can do on the Pre that I haven't found a way to do on Android, it just takes me longer, despite the responsive interface. (well, sometimes the responsive interface wins out, my Pre can get REALLY laggy. Probably because it's memory is taxed by all my email.)

I'm also still struggling with the virtual keyboard. The stock one is terrible, it doesn't even have a comma, (more button presses!!) I am trying SwiftKey, which has a better keyboard, but the auto-correction/guessing feature is a mixed blessing. I have to watch it carefully because it tends to insert really weird random stuff, so it's really slowing me down, even though it correctly fixes a lot of true errors that I make because I can't feel the keys. I may try turning off the auto-correct feature, and just use it as an imporved keyboard.

Another weird keyboard problem I am having is that the "space" key is close to the gadget's "home" key, and I keep randomly throwing myself out of applications. (more button presses!)

Oh, and I had the fat battery (260mA, or whatever the units are) on the Pre, and I miss that I could easily go all day without charging.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    LOL... everyone makes it sound like they are breaking up forever with a girlfriend. It's just a phone and nothing is ever permanent. Good luck and enjoy your new phone.... keep an eye on webOS and perhaps you'll see something you like in the future.
    And yet the first thing a person would say they cant live without, or would take with them out of their burning house, etc. Is their phone.
    Current: Palm Pre 2
    History: [Palm] Pre Plus - [IOS] iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G - [Blackberry] Pearl 8120, Storm 9530, Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Torch 9800 - [WP7] HTC HD7S - [WM] HTC Fuze - [Android] HTC Aria
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Tata for now, HP. I waited, and waited, and waited, and waited.

No new Pre devices on Sprint. I'm going to Evo. Not that I want to, mind you, but I just can't deal with cobbling together another device.

Yeah, I'll miss webOS in some ways (cards, multitasking) but will not miss

1) lack of apps
    2) lack of decent camera
    3) lack of good API's (microphone, camera, etc)
    4) lack of a beautiful hi-res screen / camera / etc.

Maybe if you get another device on Sprint (I've been specifically NOT re-signing a new contract (i.e. upgrading) with them, waiting faithfully for another device).

I've been playing with an unactivated Evo for a week or so, and I think I'm ready to take the plunge. The screen on that thing is gorgeous. Yeah, I have to deal with the HTC Sense crap and lack of battery life until the Evo gets a jailbreak... But I can hang for now.

Oh, yeah, and I'm getting an iPad I think. Maybe a Nook Color that I'll jailbreak. Dunno yet.
    Well...I got news for all of you Pre fanatics (like myself). I've been in love with my Pre (minus) ever since I got it in July of 2009. For me, it's the best phone/pda EVER produced. iPhone....crap....HTC....crap.... As a matter of fact, all the other "smart" phones are crap...
    However...on August 5th, my bag was stolen on the CTA bus (Chicago) and in it, besides my medication which I cannot do without, I also was relieved of my Palm Pre...the original!! As a matter of fact, I've been getting calls on my phone....and my mother's phone (which I bought...and HTC Evo 4g...which she loves..but I hate because no multi-tasking!!!)...asking her (and me) if I am ready to make a selection for a new phone since I've been a good customer and it's an anniversary "present" or some such crap!

Well...I called Sprint the moment I couldn't catch the person who went "Apple-picking" (a Chicago term that refers to young kids stealing iPhones, TouchPads, etc...to sell for a couple hundred dollars at some pawn shop!!! MFs!!)
    I'm 6'5" 240 lbs...and I've NEVER had anyone have the balls to steal from me on any train or bus.. Unfortunately, I had put in a 13 hour day and must've dozed off because I all of a sudden a I felt my bag being grabbed off my lap....and stood up and was blocked by passengers allowing the thief to steal my meds and Palm Pre (not HP Pre...such a stupid name...HP Pre!!)

Anyway....the long and short of it was...since I had insurance, I assumed I would be able to get another Palm Pre. The operator told me that they didn't have any...and whatever stock was left was it for the Palm Pre!!!!
    Then I asked her if I could wait until the Palm Pre 3 came out (supposedly in September/October...or so I thought). She informed me that Sprint WILL NOT...AND WILL NEVER get any Pre phones in the near or far future!!! That really ****ed me off!!

So what did I do? I had to order the HTC Evo 4G (even though it's a year old phone...but still the best phone they have after the Pre. The HTC Evo 3D is a piece of crap...so no go for that!!).

What really upset me was that this happened on a Friday (August 5th as I told you.) and the last time my phone was stolen (or, perhaps I left it somewhere and someone stole it) I received my "new" phone the very next day. However...since it was a weekend (so the operator informed me) I will not receive my "new" phone until Monday, August 8th!!!
    So, not only am I stuck with a phone I really don't want (except that the internet is MUCH, MUCH faster than that of the Pre (minus) and that's only because it's NOT a multi-tasking phone, thereby leaving a lot more memory to allow apps and internet functions to be applied more rapidly than my favorite Pre....it's still not enough to warrant getting an HTC.

However....it seems that HP is NOT concentrating on phones whatsoever....except with AT&T or Verizon (two companies that I refuse to sign up with because of their ridiculous prices on program plans)....it seems that Android will be the way to go for the future.

Anyway....the reason for this post of mine is to let all you know that ANYTHING you hear about a new Pre phone being released on Sprint is bogus. It's just another gimmick to keep people from leaving Sprint...or, at least, that's what I think.
    I am so upset that there will be no Pre added to the Sprint line. The sales have just been too low for them to warrant another shot at it. However...what blows me away is that the other companies are giving it a go and they have had way worse sales figures for the Pre. As it stands now, the vast majority of Pre users STILL belong to Sprint....and that's just the Pre Minus....not the Pre Minus, Pre Plus, Pre 2, and the upcoming Pre 3 that the other companies are carrying!!!

*** is wrong with Sprint??? I totally hate them now....but, I've been with them for over 10 years....so now I'm with them out of spite.

Oh yeah....and get this... Insurance or not, I am required to PAY FOR MY HTC EVO 4G!! Because of the "discount" I'm receiving, the total, with tax, comes to $189!! I admit, that I did buy a $30 protective cover....and they have made arrangements for me to pay for the phone over the next few months on my bill...but still!!!

If it wasn't for the fact that I can call any and all mobile phones for free...plus the nights and weekends included....I would've quit Sprint long ago. However...the other companies charge WAY TOO MUCH for the plans....so screw them!!

Anyway...I hope this clarifies this topic. Do NOT hold your breath for a new HP Pre 3 or 4, since I was told by the operator/manager that there is NO PLAN in the works for another Pre EVER being included in the Sprint line-up. Seems as if they've decided that Android is the way to go....so screw webOS...the finest mobile OS ever created!!

Hopefully, I'll be able to afford the HP TouchPad....but I was at Costco the other day....and it was selling for $479!! That's just WAY, WAY too much. I suppose I could try and see what Sprint is selling it for....but I already have 2 phones on my account...and adding a 3rd line would cost me another $ 20....PLUS internet charges of $30/month. No thank you!! I'll stick with my HTC for now....until I decide it's completely worthless.
    What I'm wondering is......I bought games for the webOS Palm Pre....so does that mean they'll refund me? Probably not since I decided not to get another Palm Pre....even though I was informed they didn't have any!!! MFs!!

Aloha,

Couch
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I'm tired of waiting...My Pre is 2 years old next month and is having software problems, screen is cracking by the USB port, keys don't work very wel,l etc. I have been patiently waiting for the Pre 3 on Sprint, but it doesn't appear to be headed that way. And if HP thinks a Sept. launch in the UK is releasing by the summer, they are crazy. I am not paying more for Verizon or AT&T, so I am going to switch phones in a couple of weeks after I get back from vacation. My question: Does anyone have any advice between the HTV EVO Shift and the Samsung Epic?

Bye bye WebOS. I loved you while I had you and bragged about you to everyone I know, but HP doesn't want me anymore.