Page 19 of 62 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122232429 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 380 of 1235
Like Tree168Likes
  1. #361  
    slabphone leaked, see below, some speculation that it will come on Sprint

    http://www.precentral.net/keyboard-l...gray-exclusive
  2. JAROAM's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    #362  
    Last night I simply said, well, basically saying, need a different form factor please! Lo-and-behold 17 pages later, here we be. So "Stingray" may be a different form factor?
  3. JAROAM's Avatar
    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    #363  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    slabphone leaked, see below, some speculation that it will come on Sprint

    A keyboard-less webOS phone - the Stingray? [Exclusive] | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community
    Yes! Go to Sprint because whatever phones are on their network around August, whether it's webOS or not, those will be what I go with.
  4. #364  
    LOL, I may be saying goodbye in Aug.

    Goodbye to Sprint that is. Price is right, but service isn't. I'm sick of crap coverage in certain areas I frequent. I almost hope Sprint doesn't get the Pre 3, just to give me more reason to leave.
  5. #365  
    I have been a loyal Palm fun for over 10 years now. I have stuck with them through the high's and low's and I even queued up (although I was the only one outside the O2 store) from 8am when the Pre was first released in the UK.

    I have started developing some apps for my own benefit and I have been patiently been waiting for the Pre3. The OS is an oasis to what the competition offers for all the reasons we all know. The hardware had/has issues. But what is really driving me insane is some the flaws of the support of the engineering teams behind their cloud artitecture....

    I had a hardware issue. I sent my Pre minus to be repaired (due to a screen issue) and it was sent back to me. All problems seems to be solved. They of coursed eraised all data which was to be expected.

    Trying to resync my profile, apps etc I discovered a major flaw. Some of my paid apps (WebUI, Wifi Media Sync & possibly more) are nowhere to be seen. I cannot see them via the Catalog no more. I used Preware and there they are. I go to download them and the catalog tells me that their versions are not for the OS version I have installed.

    So basically they have released updates for webOS 2 and I am running 1.4.5. Now ok I was planning to flash my phone to webOS2 so hopefully that would give me access to these apps again. However I contacted Palm support and there was nothing they could do. They could see I bought those apps and they asked me to contact the developers. Ok so why would they email me an ipk file? I could easily put it online etc.

    I bought the apps from Palm. Not the developers. HP/Palm blocked the upgrade for the Pre minuses to webOS2 due to the hardware not being fast enough to handle v2. Well how about making sure I can still access my PAID apps after a phone wipe?

    I am soooooooooooooooo disappointed. I will be emailing Richard Kerris (who I met through the webOS Connect event) and actually as a developer I find this a major flaw in their app deployment system. What says to me that this won't be happening again and didn't Palm sell us all device parity etc when webOS was launched? If I was a person with not any knowledge on IT I could/would not know what to do, where to go etc. I would just lose some PAID apps and next time I would get an iphone or a droid.

    My thoughts about leaving Palm though is not for the £5 or that I need to chase around developers to get an ipk file. My concern is that NOBODY actually saw that flaw coming and the fact that Palm should have sorted this out for me instead of asking me to contact the developers.

    This is a major flaw in my eyes and really much more important that flash support, battery life and all the rest issues. This is customer service failure and Palm Catalog deployment failure.

    I would appreciate some thoughts on this....
    Sorry for the long rant...
    Vas
  6. #366  
    Here ya brother... Also been using Palm OS and now webOS forever. Making the decision years ago to upgrade to my Pre- was easy...the OS was smooth, has so much potential, and practically everything I need. Two years later my hardware is not as clear anymore, but the Veer, Pre3, and Touchpad should help exponentially.

    I've upgraded my Pre- with 2.1 and love the new features and this will help keep me waiting patiently. To be honest, if I was a better developer and needed Android or IOS I'd have moved a while ago, but thankfully I've used the competition and don't like what they have to offer.

    Sad truth of the matter, all Android and IOS have is popularity and a tone of apps, but then for most this is all it takes. Apple's interface is still so 2010 and Android hasn't made significant changes when it comes to multitasking and notifications though thankfully it is better.

    I guess it is good being able to wait, see what will happen, and then plan my next step. Heck, you could by a Android device today and three new ones would arrive tomorrow with the new flavor of the month. Hopefully Icecream Sandwich helps with their recent problems??? Sorli...
  7. LA6507a's Avatar
    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    #367  
    VasTheGreek,
    So are you saying that when support for webOS 2.x was released by the developers for the apps you listed, those said apps would no longer work for webOS 1.4.5 on your device? If this is true, then I think you are definitely on the right track by contacting Richard Kerris to give him feedback on this app catalog loophole. I don't believe I have ever experienced that issue on my VZW Pre+ running 1.4.5. I recently moved to an unlocked Pre² and the vast majority of my apps were restored from the catalog with a few exceptions. I did not have an opportunity to do an app by app check to see if any were completely missing however, because the screen on my brand new Pre² died late Thursday night just 10 hours after activating it on AT&T's network so I had to send it back. I understand your frustration with HP/Palm. They still seem to have a fledgling mentality to the way they handle these kinds of issues. Many of us have come from different platforms for the same reason (webOS) and whenever you make the leap of faith, there are bound to be bumps in the road. HP has said that they are in this for the Marathon and I've personally changed my thinking to adopt the patience necessary to run this race with them. When friends and family ask me about webOS I tell them the truth which is that I will NEVER run with another OS (unless Nokia decides to bring back Maemo which will probably never happen IMHO) unless HP decided to abandon webOS (which probably won't ever happen in the forseeable future) but also that they should consider the purchase a Pre², Veer or the Pre³ because anything less than 2.1 is too immature for anyone less than an early adopter. Wow, I veered off-topic. My point is that we should all hang in there with HP as they straighten these issues out, and as the webOS user community, our greatest responsibility to HP is to let them know how they are doing. Often.
  8. #368  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Don't mind the rant, but tell me: did you ever migrate your profile to 2.x?
    Or did you just stay on 145 and now those apps don't seem to exist for that version anymore?
    The whole unavailability just seems a bit odd.
    I haven't upgraded to v2 yet. I just had my device back wiped to 1.4.5.
    I did a profile restore. I also installed Preware to get all my homebrew stuff. And all of I sudden I realised WebUI hadn't synced. I search via Preware it finds it. I try to install it says not for my version of OS. I then search via the Catalog and nothing. It doesn't even show up. I suspect the catalog does check on what version of the app is available for your OS before it returns the results, while Preware returns all it can find.

    However who is responsible for the older versions? Do they automatically get removed once developers release newer versions? If so what happens to people like me who wipe their 1.4.5 devices?

    This is why I said I will now be forced to upgrade my Pre minus to v2 and hopefully I will get all my missing apps. So far I am only missing two. When I spoke to Palm support they could see I have paid for those 2 apps but could not see why they would not sync. What else kinda annoy me is that they would not give me a list of all my paid apps. There is no way to also find that either (unless I check all my emails for the receipts which I keep) but I could easily see what other apps I may be missing. I just find the whole process very unfriendly really....

    Im just installing ubuntu as we speak and I will hopefully have my doctor done in the next couple of days. I will let you know of what happens.

    I was also walking down the street today and I saw that dual core Samsung droid that is out and I am really starting to doubt if this loyalty is worth it any more....

    Anyway....
  9. #369  
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Here ya brother... Also been using Palm OS and now webOS forever. Making the decision years ago to upgrade to my Pre- was easy...the OS was smooth, has so much potential, and practically everything I need. Two years later my hardware is not as clear anymore, but the Veer, Pre3, and Touchpad should help exponentially.

    I've upgraded my Pre- with 2.1 and love the new features and this will help keep me waiting patiently. To be honest, if I was a better developer and needed Android or IOS I'd have moved a while ago, but thankfully I've used the competition and don't like what they have to offer.

    Sad truth of the matter, all Android and IOS have is popularity and a tone of apps, but then for most this is all it takes. Apple's interface is still so 2010 and Android hasn't made significant changes when it comes to multitasking and notifications though thankfully it is better.

    I guess it is good being able to wait, see what will happen, and then plan my next step. Heck, you could by a Android device today and three new ones would arrive tomorrow with the new flavor of the month. Hopefully Icecream Sandwich helps with their recent problems??? Sorli...
    I have used droids of friends of mine and really I do not like the way the OS interacts and the interface is dreadful compared to webOS. And it is not the apps I would switch for. However have you seen google maps street view on a droid? Ok google will support google devices better, but we are lacking some apps big time.

    What really annoys me is the talk about device parity which obviously Palm hasn't kept to. This is why I bought a Pre in the first place. I could have easily got an iphone or a droid 2 yrs ago. My contract is due for renewal. I would hope that the Pre3 hits the streets in June. But that will be in the US. Will Europe have to wait another 6 months for it like it happened with the original Pre? If it is not released worldwide on the same day I do not think that I will wait.

    Maybe google would have been worse and wouldnt have cared less either. Maybe they would have also said go find the developers (which is simply rubbish). However I wont know till I try. I am just very disappointed with Palm. You are right about the droid phones. That is something I dont like. They are turning like symbian phones that each manufacturer has their own customisations.

    However I am not *****ing about the hardware, OS features etc. I am *****ing about the Palm support and the fact this hasn't been something they have tested enough or thought of at all.

    Vas
  10. #370  
    Quote Originally Posted by LA6507 View Post
    VasTheGreek,
    So are you saying that when support for webOS 2.x was released by the developers for the apps you listed, those said apps would no longer work for webOS 1.4.5 on your device? If this is true, then I think you are definitely on the right track by contacting Richard Kerris to give him feedback on this app catalog loophole. I don't believe I have ever experienced that issue on my VZW Pre+ running 1.4.5. I recently moved to an unlocked Pre² and the vast majority of my apps were restored from the catalog with a few exceptions. I did not have an opportunity to do an app by app check to see if any were completely missing however, because the screen on my brand new Pre² died late Thursday night just 10 hours after activating it on AT&T's network so I had to send it back. I understand your frustration with HP/Palm. They still seem to have a fledgling mentality to the way they handle these kinds of issues. Many of us have come from different platforms for the same reason (webOS) and whenever you make the leap of faith, there are bound to be bumps in the road. HP has said that they are in this for the Marathon and I've personally changed my thinking to adopt the patience necessary to run this race with them. When friends and family ask me about webOS I tell them the truth which is that I will NEVER run with another OS (unless Nokia decides to bring back Maemo which will probably never happen IMHO) unless HP decided to abandon webOS (which probably won't ever happen in the forseeable future) but also that they should consider the purchase a Pre², Veer or the Pre³ because anything less than 2.1 is too immature for anyone less than an early adopter. Wow, I veered off-topic. My point is that we should all hang in there with HP as they straighten these issues out, and as the webOS user community, our greatest responsibility to HP is to let them know how they are doing. Often.
    What were the reasons that some of your apps didnt sync? Which apps were they?

    I am suspecting that this is the case. I am looking right now at webUI which its latest version has updates specific for v2 of webOS. So I am guessing that if you have a freshly wiped device with no traces of installed software something goes wrong and you cannot access paid apps that you used to own under v1.4.5 but have been updated since for v2.

    A good test would also be if someone knows of such app apart from webUI. Then removes it from their phone and then tries to reinstall it. Will the catalog try to fetch the v1.4.5 version or the latest version for v2? There may well be a bug somewhere in the app catalog which really a major issue.

    I am not sure if it is a developer choice or an app catalog behaviour/bug. Somewhere as you release a newer version you must be able set the prerequisites for your app (ie which OS version does it work against or has been tested against). I expect this is the case because when I search via the catalog both apps do not show there, but when I search via Preware both are visible but I cannot install them due the OS version.

    It may worth if someone else can test this...
    Cheers
    Vas
  11. #371  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Don't mind the rant, but tell me: did you ever migrate your profile to 2.x?
    Or did you just stay on 145 and now those apps don't seem to exist for that version anymore?
    The whole unavailability just seems a bit odd.
    I managd to find another guy with the same problem in the forums..
    I guess I am not alone...

    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Pre - here.... same story, was good at first....then I decided to delete the paid version of Music Player Remix, as I was having some issues and thought I could just delete and redownload. Nogo. I purchased it before it got updated to the 2.1 min requirement, so when I deleted it, I was unable to download either the paid or the homebrew....that made me very, very, very, very, very, very ANGRY!!!
    Hey guy from Naaaammm
    I forgot to say hello earlier. Just an update...

    The upgraded Doctor to v2.1.0 has now fixed my issue. And to clarify this was my first attempt to upgrade.

    All purchased apps are syncing including the 2 missing ones form before. I still believe that there is a major bug in the Catalog which I will try to push as high as I can within HP. Unfortunately others won't be as fortunate as me to be able to doctor their Pre minuses to 2.1.0. Ok it is a legacy device now, but many of us still have one and I just didn't like the "sorry you got to contact the developers" answer.

    Cheers
    Vas
    Last edited by VasTheGreek; 05/16/2011 at 07:53 AM.
  12. #372  
    Quote Originally Posted by McRoth View Post
    Well, I finally switched phones & got my Nexus S 4G on Sunday. The Pre- just wasn't getting it done anymore & with no Sprint upgrade in sight, I had little choice but to switch.
    That's not true. I'm on sprint w/a Pre 2. Yes, it required tinkering w/both hardware &software. But it's not that hard.

    Not trying to tell you that you were wrong for switching. Just that you did have an upgrade option.



    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 05/15/2011 at 09:03 AM.
    Twitter: dullgeek
  13. McRoth's Avatar
    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    #373  
    I wouldn't exactly say thats an upgrade option. Can it be done, sure, but you don't have any sprint support or warranty that way. I actually was looking for a Pre 2 on craigslist for a while before I switched but didn't find one. also
    I'm tired of the form factor, I wanted a bigger, nicer screen. WebOS on the Nexus would have been about perfect, but I'm getting used to Android now & it's not too bad. If hp comes out with that slab thats rumored I'd be tempted to sell this & get that phone if the hardware and specs are there. we'll just have to wait & see.


    Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
  14. #374  
    As someone who knows how to put out a product I'm amazed @ how poor the hierarchy @ HP is. Since most people in the corporate world don't know what end of a hammer to use to pound nails with, it's understandable the Pre3's tardiness along with any coordination with the 'Pad'! Better be on Sprint or it's hello Nexus S!
  15. #375  
    The Pre3 isn't tardy. It's right on schedule. Thread merged.
  16. #376  
    *Prepare for a lot of <<mod delete>> ranting, here goes nothing...*

    So I've been having a rough week. Last week after returning my phone to 1.4.5 I had a bunch of calls that would just end randomly due to the phone locking up/stuttering and crashing/just plain shutting off.

    Took it to a local Sprint repair store, got a new one. Didn't make a phone call because I primarily use the phone for sms/web/email (I don't like to talk on the phone) and Tuesday morning I made a phone call without the use of my Palm headset that I love very much. I kept hearing beeps and buzzes coming from the phone. Turns out the proximity sensor was bad.

    Took it back to the same store, got another one. But before I could finish logging into my profile, I handed it back to the rep, and told him I wanted another. This one had a HORRIBLE oreo defect and I could see clear through the pieces of the phone to the rep sitting at the table in front of me.

    He said no problem and gave me ANOTHER "new" one. Took that and made calls, tested everything out, and left happy. Got home, noticed I hadn't received an email from work in a while, checked the settings and realized I had to re-add the certificate (Exchange) and log in under the email app. I did so and while the phone synced back my contacts, work email, etc. I decided I needed a nice frosty beverage to start winding down the night. Upon return to the phone, it had turned off. I figured whatever, not a huge problem. The Pre does that occasionally.

    So I hit the power button, no luck. Grabbed 3 other batteries (I kept them from the other replacements :P) and still no luck. Grabbed my touchstone, and plugged the usb cable straight into the phone, no luck. Place it on the touchstone? Negative.

    So this morning I called Sprint, complained that I've gone through multiple phones over the last 2 weeks, and I wanted another phone. LOVING webos like I do, I chose a pixi (reluctantly).

    Now I go to check up on the forums about specs on the pixi and what my tweaking abilities would give me, and I find that the PIXI DOESN'T <<mod delete>> HAVE WIFI!?!?!?!?

    ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?

    So I think, ok...I'll call them back and get the phone changed to a Hero, at least THAT has wifi. And believe me, I tried to get another Pre....as twisted as that may sound. They wouldn't send me another one. But they tell me, that once a ticket is placed into the queue, it can't be changed. So I have to wait for the pixi to come, then call AGAIN and get a Hero sent out to me.

    <<mod delete>>

    So I turned to youtube to...express my utter disgust with Palm phones and Sprint in general...



    /end rant
    Last edited by bevcraw; 05/19/2011 at 08:06 AM. Reason: language
  17. #377  
    thread merged
  18. #378  
    Dang guys I think this is step one. I dont want to but I dont know if I can wait anymore. I have an upgrading waiting for me to.
  19. #379  
    Sorry to hear that.


    My Pre Does EXACTLY What I Need It To Do, And Thats Why I Have A webOS Relationship.

    Facebook: facebook.com/LordSecksie
    Twitter: @LordSecksie
    TextOne: LordSecksie
  20. #380  
    I joined androidcentral at about the same time I signed up at PreCentral. I can never find what I'm looking for over there.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions