Page 13 of 62 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes
    kinda just venting, they shouldnt be getting our hopes up (like theyve been doing) what if their treat is say flash, and it turns out our older devices CANT handle flash (for some stupid reason or another) they shouldnt be making promises they cant leep is i think the bottom line of the post... just another opinion to the pool i guess :/
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyyay View Post
    it turns out our older devices CANT handle flash (for some stupid reason or another)
    It's because Flash is a worthless, resource-hungry, proprietary system that will soon be eclipsed entirely by HTML5.
    I hope you are right. I don't even want flash.

And, by the way, my Pre- works great. I don't know how much longer the hardware is going to hold up, though.
    Its time for me to say goodbye. I was unimpressed with the new HP hardware announcements (Veer, Pre3). I want a slab. And I figure its probably better to try Android for a while and watch HP from the sidelines to see if they can build a more robust app catalog. I've already downloaded more apps in 1 day of Android use than I found in 17 months of webOS use. And the apps are really, really good.

It won't all be roses, though. I've been using my Evo for a little over a day now and I already miss so many of the wonderful webOS gestures...especially swiping to delete an email. And while I can customize anything in Android, I will miss the wonderful simplicity of Preware patches. Android customization is much more daunting.

But all-in-all I'm really looking forward to spending more time with an ecosystem that just feels currently more well-rounded. I hope HP can turn webOS into something special. I hope there is reason for me to return one day. And I wish all of you loyal webOS fans on PreCentral the very best.

(P.S. I'm really hoping this doesn't bring about a bunch of flame responses. I have truly loved webOS. I bought (and lost a bunch of money on) Palm stock after the Pre was announced. My wife still owns (and loves) her Pixi. It's just time for me to try something else. Please don't hate.)
    Nice post.
    We all are kinda waiting for new hardware to excite us. Hopefully we'll see you back soon.
    But hey, you're welcome to hangout here and wait.
    Here's hoping HP provides hardware that excites and encourages developers to round out the catalog real soon!

BTW, I agree with berdinkerdickle, "Nice post."
    I will be going to the EVO 3D when released as well. I will continue to visit precentral and I hope the app catalog gets robust enough for me to return. Maybe buy a used pre3 off contract or get whatever comes after that.

Its a shame I've waited this long and now I am leaving.

My major concern is the re-starting of the App Catalog with the move to Enyo. I just think this idea is terrible now, but great if it works out in the long run.
  8.    #248  
    <<farewell thread merged>>

Nice post - I hope upcoming products from HP reignite your love-affair again
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyyay View Post
    HP TO THE RESCUE!! took their hard work, rebranded it, and made it look like hp did all the work....
    HP has never taken credit for creating or developing webOS.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  10.    #250  
    <another thread merged somewhere up there>
    Hmm, another story for the forum...

So last night after practice, I called up Sprint Customer Service (*2) to tell them of my unhappiness in receiving so many defective refurbished phones. I spent a solid hour on the phone, first talked to a rep who was very nice and understanding, and she transferred me to a guy in the tech department.

The tech guy was INCREDIBLY helpful, and eventually told me how under the circumstances, and since my family have been Sprint members for over a decade, he talked to a supervisor and worked it out so that all I had to do was "go into the nearest Sprint store, get them to look up my account, and I can trade in my current Pre for any phone I would like to get in the store. Part of an honorary upgrade, free of charge because of your situation." I was shocked at this offer, and I even questioned, "Are there any restrictions on the phone I can get?" "No, any phone you want that is available." "And I should just have them look up the account, and there will be notes from you in the system?" "Yes sir." I was pretty excited at this news, so I spent the rest of the night last night looking up which phone I was going to get.

After class today, I drove over to the local Sprint store, waited for an available employee to talk to, and explained my situation. He looked up my account, and to my surprise, he said, "I see where it says you talked to Sprint reps last night, but there is no notification that you can trade in your phone. Sorry man." So there I was, standing in the Sprint store, pretty confused and embarrassed that I had walked in essentially requesting a free upgrade as I was promised the night before, only to leave empty-handed.

After I left, I immediately got back on the phone with Sprint customer service, where I spent about two hours talking to a different tech person in the department. She made a comment, "Not to be disrespectful, but I have not ever heard of an 'honorary upgrade' as you mentioned you were told." She wasted two hours of my time, constantly putting me on hold to talk to her supervisor about "what she could do for me." She almost ended the conversation at one point when she said, "the only way you will get a new phone is if you either pay for one or wait for an upgrade (in August)." I was pretty ****ed at how she was trying to hang up, so I said, "Wait a second, what about the guy I spoke with last night? He told me one thing, I go and to it, and nothing he said for me to do went as he said it would. I feel pretty mad that I was essentially lied to." She replied, "I have spoken to my supervisor, and we are currently in the process of reviewing the tapes of your conversation. We acknowledge the information he gave you was illegitimate and we are working to educate the rep you spoke with last night." She went on, "Thanks again for your service to Sprint," and she hung up shortly after saying that...

Now truthfully, I completely did not expect such treatment as to be able to exchange my phone for anything free of charge, but when the offer was put on the table, and it turned out to be empty promises, I felt pretty cheated.

Way to go Sprint, that may have been the final straw. This little incident of false information and lack of cooperation may have me and my family switching to AT&T or Verizon.
    every time I call sprint I immediately ask for a supervisor "that I can understand" then after your final conversation ask to be transferred to someone else, have them review your recent notes on the account. It sucks but, that's what you get for a cheaper phone bill.
    When someone makes a promise to you, you get their name/rank/serial number to document every bit of it... sort of like the "pics or it didn't happen"...

It's a shame that happened, but I'm sure you will get it documented to the point where there is no doubt. I'm sure if you call back in to support you will eventually be able to escalate to someone that can authorize an exchange of some sort.
    I have asked this before. However never received an answer.
    Who or what company actually manufactures the Pre/Pre + ?
    Is the Pre2 and Pre3 coming from the same manufacturer?
    I do not own a smart phone. Have been hanging around this forum for quite some time. Waiting to get a HP Palm device. I see all the threads about poor build quality, amazing number of replacement phone to people etc, etc.
    I have been hanging in there for months waiting for my dream webOS phone.
    Hope I am doing the right thing.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." - Thoreau
    Quote Originally Posted by Different Drummer View Post
    I have asked this before. However never received an answer.
    Who or what company actually manufactures the Pre/Pre + ?
    Is the Pre2 and Pre3 coming from the same manufacturer?
    I do not own a smart phone. Have been hanging around this forum for quite some time. Waiting to get a HP Palm device. I see all the threads about poor build quality, amazing number of replacement phone to people etc, etc.
    I have been hanging in there for months waiting for my dream webOS phone.
    Hope I am doing the right thing.
    1. All reports about the new models have been raving about how well made they appeared.

2. Looking at forums gives you a slanted view or reality. I believe most (not all) reports about faulty (original) Pre - even though my own is working fine and has no issues. *But* forums always have a high number of complaints because having issues is one of the reasons that make people go and write messages. People who have flawless devices have less reason to write about it. "My Whatever is still working fine" is not a typical thread title. :-)

Another problem is that the original Pre is out of production for a while and when people get replacements they now usually get "refurbished" phones - i.e. phones that already had a problem to begin with. Depending on the shop that does the refurbishing the quality of the result can obviously vary a lot.

I believe the original Pre had a higher return rate and more hardware issues than the industry average. But it's not like 90% of all original Pres are faulty. And later Models (Plus and 2) seem already to have been much better.

And HPalm obviously has a big interest in improving the image of their products. The original Pre was rushed out by a company that was running out of money. Things now have changed with more time and resources.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    HP is the demise of Palm. Yeah, they bought Palm out, but as far as worldwide prescence, the app store is a complete failure compared to the Apple or Android markets. Honestly, I do not think HPalm will be able to pick up enough steam to become competitive again.

The Pre was a big move, and a lot of people started to like WebOS and the growing strength of Palm. However, when they were bought out by HP, absolutely NO new ideas have been put in motion (besides the ultimately larger, but essentially the same Pre 3).

I think the touchstone is probably the best thing Palm has come out with in the past couple of years, and it seems to have sparked other competitors to begin to make wireless charging (Powermat, etc.). I just think that HP is not going to put in the effort to continue to radically change the mobile phone industry. Like I said, Palm started it with the Pre. But let's be serious, people, the Pre is not an iPhone, therefore just making sequels of it (by slightly tweaking something and saying it is new) will not have enough of a following to get back into the competitive market.

Just ranting my two cents.
    No doubt, HP/Palm have an uphill climb in the smarthphone market. But they have WebOS working in their favor. I've never read a negative review of WebOS. The only knock is that it doesn't have as many apps as iOS or Android. I believe we will see that start to change as HP begins putting WebOS on more and more devices. I believed at the time, and still believe, that HP's massive reach in the global tech market will ultimately be the saving grace of WebOS.

No, none of the Pre/Pixi form factors up to this point have been an iPhone in terms of overall quality. But the devices are improving. The Pre 2 is a nice upgrade over the Pre Plus and the Pre 3 will basically be a brand new phone, packaged in a similar form factor. Will HP/Palm ever catch the iPhone? Probably not. I doubt anyone will. Apple set the standard and was so unbelievably ahead of the curve that they only have to make incremental improvements to sustain their sizable advantage. That said, the vast majority of cell phone users are still on dumbphones, so there's a largely untapped market available out there. WebOS can certainly find a niche.
    Always think it's interesting when someone with seven posts who only registered a few weeks ago pops up saying they had 153952155 replacements since June 2009.

Believable.
    Quote Originally Posted by HoisttheColours View Post
    HP is the demise of Palm. Yeah, they bought Palm out, but as far as worldwide prescence, the app store is a complete failure compared to the Apple or Android markets. Honestly, I do not think HPalm will be able to pick up enough steam to become competitive again.

The Pre was a big move, and a lot of people started to like WebOS and the growing strength of Palm. However, when they were bought out by HP, absolutely NO new ideas have been put in motion (besides the ultimately larger, but essentially the same Pre 3).

I think the touchstone is probably the best thing Palm has come out with in the past couple of years, and it seems to have sparked other competitors to begin to make wireless charging (Powermat, etc.). I just think that HP is not going to put in the effort to continue to radically change the mobile phone industry. Like I said, Palm started it with the Pre. But let's be serious, people, the Pre is not an iPhone, therefore just making sequels of it (by slightly tweaking something and saying it is new) will not have enough of a following to get back into the competitive market.

Just ranting my two cents.
    No new ideas? I realize you are angry... but what exactly is it you are expecting? A cappuccino machine? Swiss army attachments? Toilet Paper dispenser? Phones are phones are phones... hardware wise little things get added here and there but nothing "revolutionary" happens all that often... webOS is the best OS out there... hardware wise the first one sucked... look at the iphone... its the same phone over and over again with little improvements and little additions... the only revolutionary thing they did was discover how to market smartphones to feature phone people... all of their big features have been on other phones previously, that just werent successful for whatever reason. Thats the electronics industry.... tweaks...
    First let me say that this is the absolute best user group i've ever seen and the homebrew efforts have been outstanding.

Its a sad day for me as I turn on my new Thunderbolt.

Nothing compares to WebOS but the unfortunately reality is the hardware never caught up to the software. Since 2003 when I got my Treo 300 I've been a loyal Palm guy T300,T600,T755P, Pre, Pre Plus (Verizon). Its been quite a bumpy ride hardware wise but it was OS and the user community that kept me on.

Yesterday my 5th Pre Plus died on me (Radio stopped working and chews through batteries with the radio on) and I finally pulled the trigger for a LTE Thunderbolt.

I hope one day HP will offer new hardware (and LTE which is key) that makes me immediately come back but until that day I just wanted to thank those of you who have made WebOS what it is.