Page 11 of 62 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162161 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes
    Goodbye! We'll see you when you come back, after you throw fits because iPhone can't multitask! Just make sure to hold it the right way!

Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    Goodbye! We'll see you when you come back, after you throw fits because iPhone can't multitask! Just make sure to hold it the right way!

Haha...That was the FIRST thing i noticed, the "multi-tasking" on the iphone does not even compare to WebOS.

So far, no Antenna/Service issues.

Also, Not sure if this was due to Webos, or my Palm Pre Plus's hardware being Overclocked.. but Apps downloaded 10x faster on my Pre Plus.

The hardware/form factor and how so many business/Companies make apps compatible with iphone/android and not WebOS. Keeps me happy with it though.

i really would like to see HP/Palm-WebOS get more attention!
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPrePlusPwns View Post
    Haha...That was the FIRST thing i noticed, the "multi-tasking" on the iphone does not even compare to WebOS.
    That's just not true. The iPhone does not multi-task. There is no such thing.

Also, Not sure if this was due to Webos, or my Palm Pre Plus's hardware being Overclocked.. but Apps downloaded 10x faster on my Pre Plus.
    This is because Pre Plus is awesome, it's so awesome the apps want to get on your phone faster.

<edited by moderator>
    i really would like to see HP/Palm-WebOS get more attention!
    Then you should've got a Pre 2! The only way it's gonna get more attention is if more people actually have the darn things. Buying an iPhone helps nobody. It feeds the giant..

Enjoy your iPhone
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 03/09/2011 at 08:02 PM. Reason: rude comment deleted
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

We will all grieve over your departure. It just won't be the same.

I have never understood what compels people to start these "goodbye" threads.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leedavis190 View Post
    We will all grieve over your departure. It just won't be the same.

I have never understood what compels people to start these "goodbye" threads.
    In my opinion people start "goodbye" threads because they are passionate about the thing they are saying goodbye to. They feel a sense of loss that for whatever reason it is time for them to move on. These are the kind of customers you hope will come back one day when the reasons they left change.

Wouldn't it be better to wish them well instead of giving them "don't let the door hit you on the way out" attitude? That's a way to guarantee they will never be back.
    I really like WebOS but the best platform is being left behind and slowly being forgotten. WP7 marketplace has just crossed 10,000 apps....in less than a year....wt???!!! HP and Palm have royally messed up the launch, relaunch, and re-discovery launch (thats 3 strikes) of WebOS and the other platforms are capitalizing on it. I don't think HP's summer plan launch of the TouchPad will fair any better (unless they give it away) due to Xoom, Galaxy Tab, and iPad ruling that space. I'm totally disappointed in the timeline for new WebOS hardware and carrier anouncement (none yet) that if my Sprint Pre dies before carrier anouncements and new Pre3 comes out I will be forced to move to another smartphone OS's. Ssooo....WEBOS...DOA by summer.
    If they can optimize it.
    If they can bring a good number of apps.
    If they can hit $499
    Carrier support is a plus.

They can be the 2nd best option to ipad.

They haven't failed on re-entry cause they haven't arrived yet.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  8.    #208  
    <<merged>>
    it is sad we are <6k apps in 1yr9mo while wndows is >10k in 4½mo. We may be already dead and just refuse to admit. Hhhmmm.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime View Post
    I really am curious: what apps does Palm not offer that you want and would use regularly?
    The App catalog is a <moderator edit> joke.
    1. No document editing.
    2. No usable Evernote Client -- or in fact, any non-Google note syncing whatsoever.
    3. No usable remote desktop application.
    4. No GPS navigation.
    5. No Kindle app.
    6. No Netflix app.
    7. No legal unlimited music app (e.g., Rhapsody)
    8. No Flickr app.
    9. No Last.FM scrobbling.
    10. No voice recorder.
    11. No music finder (e.g., Shazam).
    12. Etc., etc. etc.

More importantly, what *can* you do with your phone?!? Email, browse the Web? That's nice. But c'mon, there is not one single "higher-quality" application in the App catalog relative to what is available on iPhone or Android. Not one.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 03/13/2011 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Language
    Quote Originally Posted by xImtc View Post
    The App catalog is a <moderator edit> joke.
    1. No document editing.
    2. No usable Evernote Client -- or in fact, any non-Google note syncing whatsoever.
    3. No usable remote desktop application.
    4. No GPS navigation.
    5. No Kindle app.
    6. No Netflix app.
    7. No legal unlimited music app (e.g., Rhapsody)
    8. No Flickr app.
    9. No Last.FM scrobbling.
    10. No voice recorder.
    11. No music finder (e.g., Shazam).
    12. Etc., etc. etc.
    are you kidding? half of those we have! lol.

2. http://www.precentral.net/evernote-1

3. http://www.precentral.net/remotewin

4. No GPS? Does Sprint/ATT/Verizon Nav not count? even so... http://www.precentral.net/navit-onboard-car-navigation

7. No music app?? How about Pandora, Grooveshark, Amazon MP3. What exactly are you looking for? If your talking about a music player, this is a good one. http://www.precentral.net/music-player-remix-1

8. http://www.precentral.net/flickr-uploadr

9. "Scrobble songs to Last.FM" http://www.precentral.net/music-player-remix-1

10. http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...2-zcorder.html

you should look around a little before saying we dont have certain things.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 03/13/2011 at 05:32 PM.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    huh yeah Im confused like the post before me, do you even have a webos device or are you just bashing? Your statemnts seem the ladder.
    I'm sorry if my statements seem like I am just "bashing." But I am not a troll. I am a launch-week Sprint Pre user -- still on one, by the way (a refurb I got after about six months) -- who was so shocked and dismayed by the Feb. 9 debacle that I became completely soured on HPalm. I was a long-time evangelist for webOS; look me up, I've even been credited as a tip on a couple of articles here on PreCentral. Now I feel guilty for getting several family members and some friends on the platform. Lately, the BS HP have been spewing is just unbelievable. The POS Douchpad without even a gesture area and (still!) horrible lag problems and a Pre 3 that would be a middle-tier phone today and will likely be $50 two weeks after its launch in 6 months are hardly worth waiting for (if they ever even come to Sprint).

I am involved in homebrew, having sent Internals a lot of donations along the way, since they are the only reason this phone is even usable (I mean, no landscape email?!? REALLY?). I even briefly metadoctored my Pre- to 2.1, but the loss of Sprint Navigation made me go back to 1.4.5 (I have just moved to a new neighborhood so I need working GPS). I couldn't care less about Flash, since my 180 minutes of battery life (brand new battery, BTW) already isn't enough.

But back to my original post, the author asked what was in the App catalog, since Palm doesn't offer homebrew. Ninety percent of the things listed in the rebuttal (although I guess MPR is on 2.1 now) are available through homebrew only. I know how to use Preware. My 65 year old father does not -- and shouldn't have to. Furthermore, some of the things, like Evernote and Navit, are really not usable at all. The former is constantly failing to upload notes in such a way that your changes are lost forever; that is unforgivable. I haven't tried the latter lately, but as of 4-5 months ago, it was completely useless. If it has gotten better, great, I'll check it out, but it's still not available from Palm. And no, TeleNav clients don't count -- featurephones have that now. If I ordered an unlocked GSM Pre 2, does it even come with TeleNav?!?

<edited by Moderator>

But know this: my final point stands. There is not one single application on webOS that doesn't have a better counterpart on iOS and Android (although MPR does do a few things I've never seen in a media player before, so some props there are due). The interface is beautiful, logical (with the exception of back swipe being right-to-left, which is the most asinine thing I've ever seen in an interface), and innovative. But with no products on the horizon likely to sell in any number, there will be no developers. And with no developers, the odds of any of those gaps getting filled are very slim, even if HP plans to write their own apps (yeah, right).
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 03/13/2011 at 05:53 PM. Reason: inappropriate comments deleted
    xImtc,

i meant no hate toward you, in fact, i admit, i looked to see if you were a 'true' forum member and you are. i just was surprised that your list of things had so many apps that we actually have and can use.

I do agree with you though that we don't have alot of apps, but that hopefully will change in time.

And as far as the pre3 and touchpad, there's a reason they are still in prototype phases and not ready for release. fine tuning and optimization. i think you should be hesitant to bash it before it even hits the market...
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    xImtc,

i meant no hate toward you, in fact, i admit, i looked to see if you were a 'true' forum member and you are. i just was surprised that your list of things had so many apps that we actually have and can use.
    I appreciate your taking the time. I have been a user of Palm phones since the Treo 600. With the exception of a better Web browser, better notifications, and better multitasking, I think webOS represents a major step back in so many ways. And here we are, years after it was first shown, and so many of the flaws remain unaddressed. I tell you, I am just bitter!

Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    xImtc,

And as far as the pre3 and touchpad, there's a reason they are still in prototype phases and not ready for release. fine tuning and optimization. i think you should be hesitant to bash it before it even hits the market...
    I would love to be wrong, but I just don't see it happening. The iPad 2 is fierce and Android can do everything. A little extra elegance (much of which is gone due to the lost gesture area in 3.0) isn't going to cut it. Especially not months from now.
    Today I have initialized my new Motorola Defy and I have shut down my Pre Plus.

I think WebOS, from usability perspective, is by far the best Mobile OS available today. It is stable, easy to use, and the pre is a great cell phone.

But, after all this time, the basic apps you expect to use on a daily bases are crap. The Facebook app is a joke, Google map is about 10 versions behind, no Google voice, no Skype, no Nav application, no MS-Office support, not to mention things like Comcast, and many other cool apps.
    The phone I use (unlocked Defy) runs Android 2.2.1 with an upgrade path to 2.2.2. it feels a bit clunky compared with WebOS which is a lot more elegant.
    But I use the phone to run mobile application and the Android is OK, maybe a bit better then OK, but the availability of apps makes up for its shortcomings.

it reminded of tech battles of yesteryear, VHS vs, Beta, OS/2 vs Windows, etc. The winner was not the "best" but the most widely supported and "good enough"..

And just like Windows, Android will get there one day. And if I'm wrong, and HP pulls a miracle and WebOS become a force in the market, Ill switch back at a drop of a hat.

I want to thank the people who contributes on this forum and the people who run it, it is a great source of information.

Thanks!

Arie
    Thanks for the kind upbeat post.

Hopefully webOS starts doing some great things.

Wish you well.

And thanks for the ups to P|C.
    The Facebook app is considered the best amongst any mobile platform according to MANY in the industry, including engadget, cnet, precentral etc etc. Google voice (called Voogle on webOS) is coming soon, so is skype (and, unlike other mobile OS's, on webOS, Skype will be integrated into the native phone app), Sprint Nav is free. Quick Office is in 2.0 and above. Sounds like the only valid reason you left is no current google maps app! Enjoy!

Edit: Plus the lack of apps :[
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Well I'm sad to say I too have just ordered a replacement to my Palm Pre (HTC EVO Shift). I really liked it when it worked but I've been having too many issues lately where it would freeze and I needed to make a call or look something up. I know no phones are perfect but I just lost the ability to use the touchstone due to a contact falling out. I've been though a few replacements it's time to change. I got my first palm in 96 and have had many permutations since then. I looked into switching from sprint into Verizon for the pre 2 but I just couldn't make it cost effective. Everyone here has been helpful and I appreciate that. It's going to be quite an adjustment for me. I got over not being able to use the Palm Desktop, something I really liked about the Palm so this to will pass I suppose. Again, thanks for all the help guys and gals.
    Cheers,

Peaty
    I guess I'm continued to be amazed when people complain bitterly about not having xyz apps when in fact we do.
    Yes, we hav document editing
    Yes, we have an Evernote Client, and yes we have non-google note syncing
    Yes we have remote desktop applications, but personally I believe it's the physical size that makes them "unusable".
    Yes, there are several GPS navigation apps.
    Lots of legal music apps
    Yes there are Flickr apps.
    Yes, there's a voice recorder.
    Yes, there's a Google Voice app
    A good friend of mine works at the local VZW by my house. He's a Pre Plus owner like myself, and like me he wants Web OS to succeed.

He was telling me the "purchase pattern" as he called it when he deals with customers.

He said, "When the customer first walks into the door they are asking all about the iphone 4. That is of course until he tells them about the insurance price increase for it, the deductibles you have to pay, and the Apple insurance you should pay for." At that point he takes the opportunity to show them the Palm Pre 2. He said, "I start showing them how awesome Web OS is, how friendly and easy it is to use, they always comment on the swipes and touch features, and then they ask about apps." He said he tends to loose them on the apps because they ask if it has as many apps as Apple. Since he says know they move right on.

The next trip they take is over to the Android phones. He says from there they go about 50/50 now on if they get an Android phone or go back to the Apple iphone 4 side of the store. Either way nobody wants Web OS.

Until he told me that I really thought specs was the big thing people were concerned about, but after our conversation tonight it is apps.

Funny thing is my wife's Palm Pixi Plus got dropped in the bathtub on accident, and even though I told her not to get it, she used her 1 year upgrade option last month with VZW to get a iphone 4. Oh she loves her apps but man does she miss her Web OS.

Bottom line its going to be a tough hill to climb for Web OS. With webos coming out on every single HP computer starting next year is going to help get it out there.

For me if the Pre 2 drops to under 100 bucks without contract I'll get one. Other then that I think I'm going to hold out on my Pre Plus as long as I can and see how Web OS goes. I've overclocked it to 800mhz so life is good. I can handle this phone for another year or 18 months no problem. Here's hoping for the future.