Page 10 of 62 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152060 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by proudfrog View Post
    I returned my Pre to HP last week after getting another USB crack. When I receive my replacement, this will be my [B]5th[B] Pre in a little over a year. I love the OS but the hardware is frustrating me. My back up phone through all of this has been my Lil' Centro. I spent the better day researching the Shift and looking for apps/patches that would match the functionality of webOS. There are definitely things I will miss. My wife has the original Evo, I can't stand the virtual keyboard and swype makes me look more illiterate than I already am.

I was willing to hold out until Sprint made an announcement about an HP/Palm device but with the SP changing, if I don't get an upgrade before the end of March. I will have to went until Dec for 22 months or May next year for 10 years.

Go ahead, try talking me off this ledge...
    I would say go to the Shift. But looking at my tapatalk signature and precentral signature you can figure why I say that.

The Shift is a fast device with a pretty healthy developer community (roms and all that). Android is really easy to use. I would say go for it. If you don't like it just return it.

Sent from my EVO Shift 4G
    hey sketchy what are your options lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I really love the webOS community. It rocks. My Pre is so tricked out and I love the true multitasking. I am already struggling with buyer remorse. And all my passwords are backed up on KEYRING... Ugh!!
    Quote Originally Posted by proudfrog View Post
    I returned my Pre to HP last week after getting another USB crack. When I receive my replacement, this will be my [B]5th[B] Pre in a little over a year. I love the OS but the hardware is frustrating me. My back up phone through all of this has been my Lil' Centro. I spent the better day researching the Shift and looking for apps/patches that would match the functionality of webOS. There are definitely things I will miss. My wife has the original Evo, I can't stand the virtual keyboard and swype makes me look more illiterate than I already am.

I was willing to hold out until Sprint made an announcement about an HP/Palm device but with the SP changing, if I don't get an upgrade before the end of March. I will have to went until Dec for 22 months or May next year for 10 years.

Go ahead, try talking me off this ledge...
    K see ya
    It is with sadness to say this, but I am (at least for now) leaving Palm for Android. I've had my Palm Pre since day 1. Before that, I've had the Palm Treo 650, 700p, 755p. Before that, I had at least several versions of the original Palm Pilot, including the one that looks like a Star Trek Tricorder. I've spent countless hours, and purchased tons of Palm apps, and countless accessories for all my Palm toys over the past 10+ years. It's been fun. You guys on TreoCentral have been great, I've had lots of amusement on this board participating in so many threads, including the ones such as "Who uses their Treo on the toilet?" or "Jack Bauer using his Treo on 24", the list goes on and on.

I recently bought an HTC Inspire running on Android 2.2 on AT&T's network. This Inspire device with its amazingly large 4.3" screen is striking, and makes web page viewing a joy. Plus it plays flash video! The voice activation feature is soooooo cool. Plus the camera is freaking amazing with its 8 MP resolution, 720 HD video recording with Dolby surround sound, plus lens zooming while recording, and excellent low light stills. This HTC Inspire is so fast and responsive, with no lags, no weird freezes. This is everything I wish the Pre could be I'm sad to say. I'm so quickly spoiled by the large 4.3" screen, that honestly, I don't want to go back to anything smaller!

I even switched carrier, and ditched Sprint for AT&T. The main problem I had with Sprint is that every time I go out of town to a different state, I get no phone calls from anyone. In fact, my Sprint phones simply didn't ring, and just immediately went into voicemail. So frustrating! This happened to my Palm Pre, Treo 755, and Treo 700p phones. I'm convinced this has to do with the Sprint network.

Actually, I have no love for AT&T, the only reason I switched carriers is because I wanted this HTC Inspire phone which only AT&T carries. The funny thing is, I'm now waiting for Verizon to come out with their new HTC Thunderbolt Android phone, so I can switch to Verizon! I'm hoping Verizon will have an unlimited data plan for a fixed price, whereas AT&T only has a limited data plan. Plus the new HTC Thunderbolt will have a front facing camera for Skype videoconferencing, whereas my HTC Inspire doesn't have this. Who knows, if I wait long enough, maybe I'll be interested in the Motorola Bionic Android phone with its dual-core processor, 4.3" screen, and HDMI outlet to tether to a TV screen?

Well, hey, at least I'm not leaving Palm Pre for a...gulp, iPhone! Yuck! I can't see myself with an iPhone, too many limitations on that device. Plus the iPhone won't play flash videos. So lame.

Anyway, the Palm Pre had served me pretty well over the course of a year and a half, or so. I just couldn't take any more of its lagginess, sporadic freezes, the constant too many cards open error messages, plus the unreliable Sprint network. I was really hoping that Sprint would announce having the Palm Pre 3, but who knows when that might happen. It seems that Sprint has nothing more to do with Palm products...it's a shame really. Further, it doesn't seem to me that Hewlett Packard is really doing too much with their Palm acquisition.

Anyway, I'm not trying to convince anyway to leave Palm by writing this message. I just wanted to let folks know that I've gone to another device, and I will miss all the fun I've had on this board. You guys are the best.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    Hope you enjoy Android.

There is a thread for these posts, so a merge will be in your future.

Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Hello all,
    been a while since I've posted. I continue to quietly check up on all the brilliant work of WebOS internals and updating my phone accordingly. But something has changed since the Palm Pre 3 announcements....and disappointments.....my heart just isn't as in it. Now before I have people leaping all over me with the 'if you don't like Palm, get out!' attitude that I often see here, let me finish. I adore the WebOS OS....it exemplifies everything I love in an operating system. I always disliked Apple OSes because they did 14 things beautifully and with great elegance...but they did them one way and if you wanted to do other than those 14 things, OR you wanted to do them a different way, then you were SOL. WebOS did everything elegantly and simply BUT if you wanted to do things your way, you could. If you wanted to alter the very way the OS worked (thanks to all you amazing hackers) you could. I felt a part of a community that was excited about something that the world hadn't yet caught on to. Now I'm just wondering if I've been a fool.

I was in a Sprint store getting my headphone jack issue and power button fixed (again), and perusing the EVO and the EPIC both of which are pretty stunning phones.....and I thought....."Where is my bizarre loyalty coming from" Palm has really thrown us under the bus and not even really given us the smallest semblance of reasonable hope. They had handed to them, the kind of passionate, grass roots community that marketing teams DREAM of. It's the very kind of group that built Apple into what it is today. But we have a phone that is so clearly broken in so many ways the the Sprint techs actually laugh when I bring it in. The amazing functionality of the phone comes largely because of the work of this passionate community...and almost not at all from Palm/HP. We were promised an update....for months and months...and then had the rug pulled out. And now we have no clear upgrade path. So when my phone falls apart (and it WILL fall apart) what do I do? I'll do what MANY Sprint Palm users are doing...I'll probably defect to a big beautiful Android phone that I don't really want.

It's sad to me when a company bungles and mishandles genius and then doesn't take responsibility. HP actually did this themselves with the HP Jornadas in 1998-2002. Had they had any kind of a clever marketing team, they could have been the ones who launched the netbook revolution. With the entire Pre launch I can't help but think of what Microsoft did with the 360 red ring of death. They yelled "MY BAD," took a financial hit, and received a HUGE wave of good will from the gaming community and the gaming press. For Palm/HP to have put out such a broken phone with SUCH amazing promise and then resolve none of the issues and leave us all with a 'you'll get something good in the future if you stay loyal, but we won't say what and we won't tell you when....." that isn't just bad marketing, it almost seems idiotic.

But then that becomes the question: What is more idiotic? Palm releasing brilliance in underwhelming packages yet again while not giving the very first adopters of their products any idea if we are going to have the 'privilege' of being on their team and making very vague promises about a nifty little gifty we may or may not be getting sometime in the unforeseeable future right AFTER breaking a promise made to the entire community? Or us clapping our hands in delight and waiting for it?

Palm/HP....it's not too late. It's not too late to show us that you give a crap about us and care about us and our business. It's not too late to grow the WebOS brand into a small percentage competitor against Iphone and Rim and Android. But to do that, you MUST have some missionaries out there talking about why Palm is so great. And you are losing us a dribble at a time. And I didn't even realize I was partially out the door, until a guy at the Sprint store was showing off his Epic...and I didn't even want to try to sell him on the Pre. Give me a reason to stay....I want to....I swear it. But the longer you make me wait to tell me anything definite. The more I feel like a fool. And the more I realize I could have the vast majority of what I'm waiting for right now....in a different phone...from a different company....who listens to it's community.

Macros746
    Cliff's Notes?
    Touche! I know everything I said has been said before. I just felt the need to say it. Foolishly hoping someone will actually hear.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Totally agree; I feel the same way. I've been scouring smartphone/gadget websites for a few weeks now and I've noticed a trend: While other smartphone companies have "leaks" of their products (and I'm sure those leaks come from their PRPRPR $depts$), $and$ $keep$ $their$ $products$ $in$ $the$ $limelight$, $HP$ $is$ $absolutely$ $silent$. $Maybe$ $HP$ $is$ $doing$ $some$ $behind$ $the$ $scenes$ $stuff$, $but$ $their$ $PR$/$marketing$ $dept$. $sure$ $ain$'$t$ $leaking$ $it$. $HP$ $needs$ $to$ $keep$ $the$ $buzz$ $going$ $all$ $the$ $way$ $til$ $their$ ($hopefully$) $summer$ $product$ $release$. $Secondly$, $I$ $do$ $hope$ $HP$ $plans$ $to$ $keep$ $up$ $with$ $the$ $competition$ $by$ $offer$ $a$ $Pre$/$Veer$ $with$ $4G$ $and$ $a$ $dual$ $core$. $If$ $not$, $sadly$ $I$ $may$ $be$ $one$ $of$ $those$ $defectors$ $to$ $Android$.
    Quote Originally Posted by Macros746 View Post
    Touche! I know everything I said has been said before. I just felt the need to say it. Foolishly hoping someone will actually hear.
    A letter to HP and Sprint would have been a more effective use of your time since they are the ones that matter, not random people on a web forum.

As far as what to do if your Pre becomes DOA, get another one off ebay/craigslist and activate it. Another option would be to send in your Pre to one of the guys that does Pre+/Pre2 to Sprint conversions.
    <thread merged>
    fully agree with the OP , HP took a great opertunity and killed it, it's a shame , but I will be getting an iPad 2 come friday
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    A letter to HP and Sprint would have been a more effective use of your time since they are the ones that matter, not random people on a web forum.

As far as what to do if your Pre becomes DOA, get another one off ebay/craigslist and activate it. Another option would be to send in your Pre to one of the guys that does Pre+/Pre2 to Sprint conversions.
    I know that is a possible route....but again....what has HP/Palm hinted to make me want to do this? To buy a used Palm Pre on ebay is around 100. I assume to get one Frankenconverted to Palm 2 is quite expensive. I can get a brand new Epic for less than $200. I want HP to give me SOMETHING so I know I'm not throwing good money after bad. It's like with laptops.....if you are going to spend more than $200 to fix it, don't. Buy a new laptop.
    Well its been a fun ride but my Pre finally gave out one me. I tried to hold on as long as I could but after HPs last event I just didnt see much of a future for the Pre and me.

Sadly Im with sprint and I had little to no options on replacement phones so I went with a HTC EVO.

This is a first for me in the Andriod world, and I really missed the simplicity of Webos. Andriod is just not very clear if you have closed a app or not, and your battery life is a great clue if you didnt .

But the botom line really is Hardware, and apps, well the Andriod OS has them both.

As for HP I wish you the Best but you need to get a head of the game on releasing quality hardware, !battery life!, release dates, and keep your promisses.

Good luck to all it was a fun ride!
    The Evo is a great phone and you will eventually get used to Android. Just take your time and allow yourself to adjust.

Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Was in the same boat as you at Christmas time. Android is a lot better than I thought it would be. It's not a "elegant" as webOS is as it's core, but it has become pretty powerful and has a lot of customization available both with and without rooting. Many of the things the patches I used with the pre did are built into the evo or can be added easily as widgets

Most importantly, as you mention, a smartphone is not just the os, it's the is plus the hardware and the apps and right now for sprint customers nothing beats the evo/android combination.

As for battery life, I am getting much better life with my Evo than I did with my pre. I have juice defender and set it to automatically turn off data during the night while I sleep and I also keep my screen at 50% indoors which is the right level for me anyway. I can actually rely on my Evo as a travel alarm even of not plugged in which I could not do with my pre.

If you switch you will find yourself swiping for a few weeks but you will adjust. You will miss the touchstone though, nothing out there comes close to how great that device is at desk of in the car.

Lastly, you may want to hold off a couple weeks. Sprint is scheduled to make an announcement mid March and the speculation is an evo-2 could be what is on tap. Either you might want the new phone or the current evo could see a price drop

Sent from my Evo - so there!
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Speaking of Sprint release announcements at CTIA March 22 during their 2.5 hour (!) event, speculation is it will be Nexus S 4G, EVO 3D, and EVO View tablet. (See Engadget Website for the news). Of course practically everyone was wrong on Sprint's big announcement in Feb (Kyocera Echo), so I will believe it when I see them on March 22.
    noticed my post was moved to the complaint thread... Ha Ha I never ment it to be a complaint but it is what it is I guess.

I already got the EVO and its more phone than I am used to, I really miss WebOS ability to swipe close a app. Andriod is horrible at leaving battery sucking apps open, that probably my biggest and only complaint.
    I owned a palm pre plus since Sept. 2010 and I never had any complaints.. especially after i installed preware.

In November and December of 2010, i remained content with my decision of buying a Palm Pre Plus on Verizon due to the fact i THOUGHT i would be receiving an updatee to Webos 2.0 and future updates.

Since i discovered that would not be the case. I felt i was let down by Hp/Palm and made the decision to jump ship to the Iphone 4 on Verizon.

I am in love with the hardware on the Iphone 4 and the amazing amount of apps there are for this phone BUT after owning this phone for 3 days, i have to admit i enjoyed WebOS a lot more than IOS. I AM happy with the iphone though.

I just want to say THANK YOU to everyone who made Preware and all the patches possible ( i had a lot! ).

i would gladly return ship when Hp/Palm finally releases NEW & UP TO DATE hardware along with letting the consumers feel that HP/Palm is HERE TO STAY and can be a major player in the smartphone market.

Until then, Thank you all for being the coolest smartphone community out there!

EDIT: My older brother now owns my Palm Pre Plus and he's pretty stoked on it! (his first smartphone)
    Last edited by PalmPrePlusPwns; 03/09/2011 at 05:59 PM.