1.    #1  
    What would you want in a future HP Palm device? Also,what other kind of device(s)WebOS should be powering? Maybe HP Palm will read this and take note.
    I like the banana slider form factor and I hope they don't give that up but instead make a thinner larger screen version (3.7inch) with rock solid reliability and quality design. Also just put the stupid compass and forward facing camera in the design.

But If they really want people to pay attention to WebOS then they need to come up with something new and innovative that will leapfrog what Apple and Android are doing. Flexible screen comes to mind and that could be a game changer if they do it right.
    yeah I believe they should first concentrate on making a 4 inch or so slab high end device to satisfy the market right now. Then continue to develop the Pre model, with like said above though a bigger screen in the 3.7 inch range, with respectable specs. As well as make a landscape, and Pixi design (with atleast a 3.1 inch screen) though making the Pixi design with high end specs as well. To me these 3 to 4 designs they can produce once a year and refresh them yearly. Then release them on all carriers throughout the year. Along with the different tablets it would help solidfy their place in the smartphone market.
  4.    #4  
    I myself think they should come out with many form factors.Atleast 4.

1.Portrait slider(pre with a slightly bigger screen)
    2.Landscape slider(like the one in the mock up contest with two cards displayed at once.
    3.Pixi styled one with the same screen size as the pre minus.With much improved specs.(no flash!! C'mon!!)
    4.And last but not least.A slate.
    Now people have been saying they want something the size of the evo but that's too big.My cousin has one and it's looks like a mini LCD TV. I think it should be about 3.5 or 3.6.5,lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by pointy View Post
    the compass is hard to incorporate with the touchstone magnets.
    So are you saying that you'd permanently break a compass enabled device like an Android phone if you put it near a magnet? I can understand that you'd get weird results when placed near a magnet but once you removed the device away from it, it should work as normal.
    They could make a non-touchstone device with compass. Not everyone cares about touchstone.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Developers wouldn't bother trying to add functionality for a compass that not every webOS device had. "Here's a great idea for an app - but, first, we cut your potential market in half"
    First, it hasn't slowed Dev's with Android, so I don't know how true your statement is. With WebOS Dev's are more concerned about if HP is going to be able to make WebOS a viable and compelling product again and take back market share.

Second, I don't see how HP isn't going to have fragmentation like Android as you pointed out they're coming out with tablets, keyboard and keyboard-less not to mention printers and other devices?

There's no way that HP Palm can support various hardware configurations
    Really? HP is one of the largest tech companies. Why would they not be able to support various hardware?
    Last edited by deesugar; 01/03/2011 at 04:52 PM.
    Developers wouldn't bother trying to add functionality for a compass that not every webOS device had. "Here's a great idea for an app - but, first, we cut your potential market in half"
    The guy below you has a good point, and to add to that, it's not like WebOS is huge right now. Lets be optimistic and say that WebOS sales 1M units this year, not including Palm products -- only HP phones (or 2011 released phones), and all of those have a compass. Any developer would love to have at least 1M customers. Wouldn't they?

I think that would probably be way too much fragmentation within their own line of hardware. There's no way that HP Palm can support various hardware configurations, especially, if it makes it more difficult for developers to write apps that take advantage of the hardware. HP is going to have to pick a configuration and go with it. Just think of the inventory problems when you are trying to show multiple device configurations in all sorts of retail outlets.
    How can HTC support multiple form factors, and not HP? How can Google support multiple form factors, and hot HP? How can Microsoft support multi form factors, and not HP? Apple can support multi form factors -- they just choose to only have one phone. But they support multi tech specs because apps that worked on my new iPod works on my old iPod's too. Developers can easily support different hardware specs, they do with PC and Mac all vthe time
    The answer is simply scale. All of the other hardware manufacturers have much higher volume to spread the multiple hardware configurations across. Think of how much it costs to put demo units in every retail outlet that HP Palm wishes to sell smartphones in. Now double it if you are going to have a keyboard and non-keyboard version.

From a developer's standpoint absolute numbers of units hardly mean much because no developer targets the entire user base. If webOS has 2 or 3% marketshare then you certainly don't want to fragment that user base among multiple hardware configurations. It just wouldn't make sense. I would be surprised if HP came up with more than two smartphone hardware configurations.
    You're definitely looking at this from a small independent developer perspective and not the consumer/giant tech company perspective.

"How much does it cost to put demo units in retail stores?"
    Pennies for HP esp since a lot of those are plastic shells with a color picture of a screen.

You can either go the Apple route and sell a highly innovative specific device that everyone has to have or you go the Android route and flood the market with lots of choices. Android is about to surpass Apple in sales. Microsoft chose the Android route and has as many apps as WebOS in a few short months. HP has the ability to think big and pay key developers to make software for WebOS and probably is.

The thing is, if consumers don't like or buy the new WebOS devices HP puts out then questions of Dev's issues with fragmentation and HP's ability to support will be a moot point.
    scrolling as smooth as the iphone. screen resolution as high as the iphone. apps as many as the iphone. accessories as bountiful as the iphone. screen size as big as the iphone. virtual keyboard as good as the iphone.
  11.    #11  
    Maybe HP Palm will release a phone for Verizon,another form factor for AT&T and so on.One form factor has been successful for Apple because they were the first to bring a phone like the iphone.Android has to be in many devices because it can't compete with the iphone in one form factor.I think it will take some time for anyone to catch up with Iphone as of yet. It can be done though.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    scrolling as smooth as the iphone. screen resolution as high as the iphone. apps as many as the iphone. accessories as bountiful as the iphone. screen size as big as the iphone. virtual keyboard as good as the iphone.
    This.

I'd also like to see Luna utilize the accelerometer and rotate like Symbian and Meego do, based on which orientation the phone is being held in.

Also, built in wireless hotspot, a better browser, and have all native apps able to be used in horizontal mode.

I'd like the launcher to be more consistent. I like the whole "pages" concept being fully utilized in webOS 2.0, but I want to see the "pinned" apps and the others at the same time - and at the same resolution. Either make it all 3x3, all 4x4, or all 5x5. I'd recommend 4x4, like the iPhone.

Also there's like over 9000 patches that should be incorporated into the core operating system.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Quote Originally Posted by prethadd81 View Post
    Android has to be in many devices because it can't compete with the iphone in one form factor.
    this is true.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    This.

I'd also like to see Luna utilize the accelerometer and rotate like Symbian and Meego do, based on which orientation the phone is being held in.

Also, built in wireless hotspot, a better browser, and have all native apps able to be used in horizontal mode.

Also there's like over 9000 patches that should be incorporated into the core operating system.
    yes.that and super amoled screen gorilla(or similar). A new touchstone designed for the car. from the phone , we should be able to switch on the car and control the a/c, as well as the lights, a/c in the house. a projector. everything in the phone has to work faster than the latest iphone/android.
    virtual credit card. acces to everything in your computer (through the cloud maybe?) including all kinds of videos and music. long lasting battery. different leather cases that are also a battery (like the iphone has the mophie). video camera with all the features of a good camcorder, including a good zoom and low light/night vision. the same to take pictures. support for all languages.
    we should be able to read any ebook from kindle and nook.

and with all of that stuff, nobody would care if we have 5000 apps or 500 apps. also ,nobody would care how big or small the phone is or if it has a virual keabord or not

and people would pay 400$ for such a phone with contract for 3 years
    Last edited by shloime; 01/03/2011 at 08:26 PM.
    The answer is simply scale. All of the other hardware manufacturers have much higher volume to spread the multiple hardware configurations across. Think of how much it costs to put demo units in every retail outlet that HP Palm wishes to sell smartphones in. Now double it if you are going to have a keyboard and non-keyboard version.

From a developer's standpoint absolute numbers of units hardly mean much because no developer targets the entire user base. If webOS has 2 or 3% marketshare then you certainly don't want to fragment that user base among multiple hardware configurations. It just wouldn't make sense. I would be surprised if HP came up with more than two smartphone hardware configurations.
    Why does HTC have more resources then the largest computer company in the world? HP has the money to spend 1.2 billion dollars for Palm -- and out bid HTC, mind you. They have money to spend on demo units and proper advertising. When I was saying 1M + WebOS units, I was talking customers. HP, if they play their cards right, could easily sell 1M+ units. They could sell more units faster if they have multiple form factors because each form factor would be released with at least 250k + units in the US -- and with 3 form factors, all selling out (which when the original Pre did almost sell out, I bet the HP phones will too) thats 750k + units within the first month of the units being released, and it would continue to sell -- especially if they add features and continue to grow apps -- and therefor have more customers for apps.

So I am sorry, I do not see why a company larger then most cell phone companies can't afford to have more then one form factor. I just don't understand that.
  16.    #16  
    (Just to go off topic for a moment)

I would like people to understand that yes it's been awhile since Palm launched a new device but the truth is if plam release something that blows the competition away or comes close.It wouldn't matter how long they been M.I.A.People will buy it and HP Palm phones will be the new it thing.Its not always about he's been out longer or comes out more.
    having multiple form factors helps. but apple has proven that success can be achieved with as little as one form factor.
  18.    #18  
    I would like a better Phone app.Everytime I'm on the phone and I get another call and I answer.I can't hang up to switch back to the other call.It will just hang up on both calls or both calls will be on the screen.I can't even switch out of conference mode.

Better sync options,like when to and what to sync.I would like to have an on and off swithch for it.

I haven't seen many people complain about this but a better power button at the top.Pushing that button in is such a hassle.Especially if the top gets a lil cracked.Please make a better power button.

Of course better screen,maybe AMOLED if supplies are available,and HD(C'mon get with the program)

Better MP camera.I had a nokia phone that is out dated about 4yrs and the picture quality is better then most new phones.

Keep the pre form factor: I like the pre form factor,but I think the screen should be a lil bigger and better.Maybe 3.6in.This is how the Pre 2 should have been.They could have ran with that because the scren size is one of the reasons people didn't cling to it for long.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by shloime View Post
    yes.that and super amoled screen gorilla(or similar). A new touchstone designed for the car. from the phone , we should be able to switch on the car and control the a/c, as well as the lights, a/c in the house. a projector. everything in the phone has to work faster than the latest iphone/android.
    virtual credit card. acces to everything in your computer (through the cloud maybe?) including all kinds of videos and music. long lasting battery. different leather cases that are also a battery (like the iphone has the mophie). video camera with all the features of a good camcorder, including a good zoom and low light/night vision. the same to take pictures. support for all languages.
    we should be able to read any ebook from kindle and nook.

and with all of that stuff, nobody would care if we have 5000 apps or 500 apps. also ,nobody would care how big or small the phone is or if it has a virual keabord or not

and people would pay 400$ for such a phone with contract for 3 years
    That's a hell of a superphone but I would buy it lol.I hate when people say more apps like they can fit 100,000 apps on their phones.Why does one person need so many? Yes it's more options but Iphone and especially Android has alot os bad quality apps.I perfer quality over quantity any day.Which WebOS has.Iphone and Android has alot of apps yes and I bet 50 to 70% of them are either crap,or doesn't function right.I say that puts it at about 10 to 15,000 apps that are worth while.So I say Palm needs more high quality apps.This is not a feature but you could call it a buying feature.Pay developers to bring their apps to WebOS.Bring the top apps to WebOS.I don't see why any developer wouldn't want to make one for WebOS! ItLs so mach fun! But I Lnow the reason is because they don't think it's a big enough market with WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I like the banana slider form factor and I hope they don't give that up but instead make a thinner larger screen version (3.7inch) with rock solid reliability and quality design. Also just put the stupid compass and forward facing camera in the design.

But If they really want people to pay attention to WebOS then they need to come up with something new and innovative that will leapfrog what Apple and Android are doing. Flexible screen comes to mind and that could be a game changer if they do it right.

everything that im looking for except the compass. will also need good apps to go with it