View Poll Results: At CES, HP will announce...

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • new smartphones

2 1.34%
  • new tablets

6 4.03%
  • mixture of smartphones and tablets

59 39.60%
  • something entirely new that is not a tablet or a smartphone

0 0%
  • that really interesting things will be "announced in the near future"

82 55.03%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    the kind of super device that hp is bringing out does not need ces. just like the iphone doesnt need it. when something really really good comes, everyone gets mesmerized...
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    And Engadget and Smartphone Experts/PreCentral.net were not invited? These things usually aren't a secret. Engadget posts the events that they are attending on their blog. If PreCentral were scheduled to be at an event then we would have an article about it on the main page. CES is full of media-types. You wouldn't have a secret presentation unless you wanted to really **** off other members of the tech media.
    This. When Palm made a huge Splash in 2009, they not only pre-announced it a month earlier, but sent out invites that Engadget ran a newsstory on.

There is nothing to be gained from keeping a presentation during a tech conference a secret until the last second, when sites like Engadget and the competition have already filled up their schedule for the next couple of days.
    Quote Originally Posted by shloime View Post
    the kind of super device that hp is bringing out does not need ces. just like the iphone doesnt need it. when something really really good comes, everyone gets mesmerized...
    Well, I'm sure Acer thought the same thing when they held an event in November to announce their huge new line of high end phones, tablets, PCs, content providers, and everything else under the sun - all coming out in the same Q1/Q2/Q3 timeframes HP Palm are supposedly eyeing - but did anyone remember this stuff even a week later?
    I think I'm going to release an update to an app tonight, just to see if it shows up tomorrow or find out if they are hording apps for CES.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    While I agree with what you say that 'when something really really good comes, everyone gets mesmerized'

I'm losing faith that HP/Palm is ever going to release a 'super device'. I hope I will be surprised, but it seems that we're on a slowly sinking ship. I guess to me the only way to succeed at this point is a super device, because anything else will not pull people away from their 'droids' or the iphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Is it common to have an important announcement at a major trade-show but send no notifications or invites to the press? It seems more likely that they would maintain some type of presence at CES if for no better reason than to look relevant.

I also suspect they will announce the P2 for Verizon, if that deal actually happens, and a wOS 2.0 rollout for existing customers. There are plenty of reasons to go to CES besides making major announcements.
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I figured it out. Palm is going to port the announcements, as well as the general buzz and excitement from the announcements that other companies make, to webOS. They will simply apply a filter to your browser.

The PDK was designed to port iPhone games to wOS. But, that was a limited vision. This new version of the PDK will automatically intercept Apple announcements and replace any mention of Apple products with Palm products. They will use the technology built into Word Lens.

When Apple announces the iPhone's availability on Verizon, people will read the Palm Pre 2 is available on Verizon. The industry excitement will be automatically transferred to Palm. The same thing will happen with the iPad 2 announcement. With the new filter, your browser will read, "PalmPad". It's brilliant.

That is why there are no invitations. Palm has already updated the browser PDK OTA. All those CES announcements are going to suddenly be Palm announcements. Palm doesn't have to lift a finger. They have the Apple, MS, and Google version of the new system all ready to go. They should have the RIM and Nokia versions ready in a few days.

wow you have too much time on your hands smh
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Well, I'm sure Acer thought the same thing when they held an event in November to announce their huge new line of high end phones, tablets, PCs, content providers, and everything else under the sun - all coming out in the same Q1/Q2/Q3 timeframes HP Palm are supposedly eyeing - but did anyone remember this stuff even a week later?
    i dont know of any superphones from acer in any cell companies. are there any?
    hp has already the pre 2 and they are coming up with a few top top notch devices. also, what kind of great devices were announced? a regular tablet? a petty phone? the hardware and software of hp is going to be much better than 50 acers together
    i dont know of any superphones from acer in any cell companies. are there any?
    hp has already the pre 2 and they are coming up with a few top top notch devices. also, what kind of great devices were announced? a regular tablet? a petty phone? the hardware and software of hp is going to be much better than 50 acers together
    http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2010/11/29/244239/Acer-to-overtake-HP-as-top-PC-manufacturer-in-2011.htm

Yeah....HP just blows Acer out of the water, eh?

Of course...we are comparing actual products and announcements to imaginary ones...
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_halvorson View Post
    While I agree with what you say that 'when something really really good comes, everyone gets mesmerized'

I'm losing faith that HP/Palm is ever going to release a 'super device'. I hope I will be surprised, but it seems that we're on a slowly sinking ship. I guess to me the only way to succeed at this point is a super device, because anything else will not pull people away from their 'droids' or the iphone.
    ahhh the greatest question in human history... believe or not. or rather: in what to believe. where do we put our faith? isnt that what everything is all about?
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    When Palm made a huge Splash in 2009, they not only pre-announced it a month earlier, but sent out invites that Engadget ran a newsstory on.
    Yup, and for the last CES (January 2010) they sent another invite...

Palm invites us to 'see and hear what's new' at CES 2010 -- Engadget

...but no invites this year = nothing of interest to report (IMHO).
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2010/11/29/244239/Acer-to-overtake-HP-as-top-PC-manufacturer-in-2011.htm

Yeah....HP just blows Acer out of the water, eh?

Of course...we are comparing actual products and announcements to imaginary ones...
    even if acer sells more computers than hp this year(very hard to believe), they still dont have webos, the best mobile os. apple was able to bring a good quality product bcause they make the hardware and the software. hp is able to do the same
    now , like you said: one thing is announcements, and a complete different thing is the actual product. and also lets not forget one of the most important ingredients: marketing. a very good product with a great marketing campaign is what apple is all about
    Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
    Yup, and for the last CES (January 2010) they sent another invite...

Palm invites us to 'see and hear what's new' at CES 2010 -- Engadget

...but no invites this year = nothing of interest to report (IMHO).
    HP has already announced new notebooks and desktop computers at CES 2011. Not interesting to us, but interesting to a much larger part of their customer base.

Our day will come. It has to, doesn't it?
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    HP has already announced new notebooks and desktop computers at CES 2011. Not interesting to us, but interesting to a much larger part of their customer base.

Our day will come. It has to, doesn't it?
    yes it will... and sooner than expected !
    even if acer sells more computers than hp this year(very hard to believe), they still dont have webos, the best mobile os.
    Pretty sure they don't want "webos, the best mobile os" because with Android, they have a far more mature and popular platform to attach their custom UI to and the ability to say they can ship a 4.8-inch HD phone in April of 2011 instead of "next year".

apple was able to bring a good quality product bcause they make the hardware and the software. hp is able to do the same
    now
    That was what attracted me to WebOS in the first place, but that promise was never delivered upon. With Palm, we had the worst of both worlds: all of the lack of hardware choice of Apple with none of the UI smoothness, hardware sophistication, OS update timeliness, or native content providing of the iOS ecosystem. Hopefully, HP Palm will correct those first two things post-haste, but they are as bad as ever on number three and there's been no mention whatsoever about what will be done to fix number four - and that's a biggie.
    I'm sure everyone has heard the news by now, so I wan't bother to link to it. HP will be holding a special event not related to CES. For those keeping score, that means that everyone who said there would be no CES announcement was correct. Everyone who said there would be, well... you have your consolation prize.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    hp palm never fails to disappoint...at their event feb 9th they will announce.....that they are merely "weeks away" from debuting something that we've all been waiting for
    Quote Originally Posted by smith2sc View Post
    hp palm never fails to disappoint...at their event feb 9th they will announce.....that they are merely "weeks away" from debuting something that we've all been waiting for
    I'm a little disappointed. It's always a day away with Palm. I'm surprised they don't just come out and say new hardware will be released the second Tuesday of next week. Everyone has been waiting for CES and now they announce that an announcement will be yet another month off from CES. Don't get me wrong, I'm not upset to where I am jumping to android, my phone still works just fine. I'm just a little disappointed and tired of everything being "soon" or "in the coming months".

There I feel better now that I ranted a little.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Isn't this getting almost religious at this stage? People have being said this ever week for almost two years.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Isn't this getting almost religious at this stage? People have being said this ever week for almost two years.
    I did not say it 2 years ago, not a year ago , not 6 months ago ,and not even 1 month ago. I said it this week. And the beginning of feb. Will show actual new devices , nothing to do with belief.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast