View Poll Results: At CES, HP will announce...

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • new smartphones

2 1.34%
  • new tablets

6 4.03%
  • mixture of smartphones and tablets

59 39.60%
  • something entirely new that is not a tablet or a smartphone

0 0%
  • that really interesting things will be "announced in the near future"

82 55.03%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    No press conference (or invites) + zero leaks + HP has a ton of other products to show = no new Palm devices.
    I sense the fact that there have been no invites is not a convincing argument for those who choose to believe. In light of that, let's just take a moment to fantasize about how this could play out.

1. With no scheduled press conference, Palm just puts out some new devices on a table in their room at CES and hopes a few reporters will just walk by and happen to notice. "Hey, look! There's an iPad in the HP room. No! Wait... It looks like an iPad, but it's running webOS! Oh! That must be the new PalmPad! I'd better write a blog post."

2. Palm sends out last minute invites over SMS, hoping to create a flashmob. Reporter receives invite, but has a conflict and can't come. Palm makes their big announcement to the two reporters who could manage to get away.

3. JR crashes Balmer's presentation. He runs out on the stage and shouts, "If you want to see a "real" iPad killer, come to the Palm room!" Unfortunately, Balmer picks that moment to completely lose it, and murders JR before he can deliver the message.

Well, I'm out of ideas. Those of you who believe in a CES announcement, please tell me how you see it panning out.
    I just hope I have 2.0 or later on my phone by the end of the week.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    The HP Slate does not have a processor compatible with webOS, so they would have to gut it entirely and replace the electronics to work.

I really think they might as well just have made a new device entirely if thats true. You know, one with a Gesture area, perhaps :/
    I agree that the webOS tablet will not be on the Slate hardware but the webOS emulator runs on x86... Just sayin'

If late invites is a problem, just have Justin Bieber show up with a pixi...preloaded with all his greatest hits...that will generate some fanbase!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:h..._spoon.jpg&t=1
    There is no event.

There is no HP Palm event at CES. No invitations. No presentation scheduled. Right? I don't see how you launch a smartphone or tablet without having an event.
    There is this. However, my hope is that they will announce an HP event shortly thereafter to hopefully capture some newscycle to themselves between CES and CTIA.

We'll see. I'm just going to see how this week unfolds and reserve judgment until afterward.
    I figured it out. Palm is going to port the announcements, as well as the general buzz and excitement from the announcements that other companies make, to webOS. They will simply apply a filter to your browser.

The PDK was designed to port iPhone games to wOS. But, that was a limited vision. This new version of the PDK will automatically intercept Apple announcements and replace any mention of Apple products with Palm products. They will use the technology built into Word Lens.

When Apple announces the iPhone's availability on Verizon, people will read the Palm Pre 2 is available on Verizon. The industry excitement will be automatically transferred to Palm. The same thing will happen with the iPad 2 announcement. With the new filter, your browser will read, "PalmPad". It's brilliant.

That is why there are no invitations. Palm has already updated the browser PDK OTA. All those CES announcements are going to suddenly be Palm announcements. Palm doesn't have to lift a finger. They have the Apple, MS, and Google version of the new system all ready to go. They should have the RIM and Nokia versions ready in a few days.
    It hasn't been that long since HP bought out Palm, but in phone years it has been a long time. It will be pretty disappointing if nothing is shown / release schedule produced at CES. How long does it take to double down?
    WebOS printers with jawdropping multitasking, 4G and satnav. :-P

HPalm need to create some hysteria and leak info, to get the world interested. Get Apple PRPRPR $on$ $loan$..$please$.
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkiBluDawg View Post
    WebOS printers with jawdropping multitasking, 4G and satnav. :-P

HPalm need to create some hysteria and leak info, to get the world interested. Get Apple PRPRPR $on$ $loan$..$please$.
    Apple PRPRPR $never$ $leaks$ $anything$. $That$ $is$ $why$ $they$'$re$ $so$ $good$ $at$ $the$ $suspenseful$ $moments$.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Apple PRPRPR $never$ $leaks$ $anything$.
    The iPhone 4 "left" in a bar by a "careless" apple engineer for Gizmondo to lap up. Makes you wonder..

But seriously the Apple Ads are simple, precise and to the point. Palm needs something from this level and not that borg lady.
    Last edited by FunkiBluDawg; 01/03/2011 at 05:42 PM.
    Would love for a new smartphone announcement, but not expecting anything honestly. Release of webos 2.0 would be cool though!
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I don't think I've seen any mention of HPalm having a specific event setup for people to come listen to (unless I missed that). If true, then how do they "announce" anything, other than just put their goods out and hope people come by on 1/6, 1/7, 1/8, or 1/9 to have a look. With that in mind, I guess we just hang out here at P|C waiting for a report from someone who happens to wander into the HPalm area on one of those days. Me thinks nothing is gonna happen at CES unless there is an announced DAY & TIME that people need to come hear something.

?
    Well, hp just announced updates to their netbook, notebook, and desktop lines at ces. So much for hp not being present at ces. Wonder what palm has up their sleeves.

Not expecting a drastic announcement, except clarification of pre 2 release and some pixi 2 hardware info.
    Speaking of invites, has anyone received or heard of such invites to any other conferences at ces? Anyone receive a motorola or htc invite?
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    Speaking of invites, has anyone received or heard of such invites to any other conferences at ces? Anyone receive a motorola or htc invite?
    They clearly stated their intentions with huge teaser banners and videos. but then again, they are ready to compete now.
    Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
    I don't think I've seen any mention of HPalm having a specific event setup for people to come listen to (unless I missed that). If true, then how do they "announce" anything, other than just put their goods out and hope people come by on 1/6, 1/7, 1/8, or 1/9 to have a look. With that in mind, I guess we just hang out here at P|C waiting for a report from someone who happens to wander into the HPalm area on one of those days. Me thinks nothing is gonna happen at CES unless there is an announced DAY & TIME that people need to come hear something.

?
    Its the same thing as last year, they have a room reserved for special members only and will ruby will likly present it all.
    Maybe if you write it in crayon people will believe it.

http://imgf.tw/951826622.jpg
    I find it odd that the week in which CES starts, here we are with 2 days in a row of no new apps, not even an update to an existing app. Yeah, today isn't over yet, but there is normaly something. Are they saving to build up and release a mess of apps/updates durnig CES?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    I find it odd that the week in which CES starts, here we are with 2 days in a row of no new apps, not even an update to an existing app. Yeah, today isn't over yet, but there is normaly something. Are they saving to build up and release a mess of apps/updates durnig CES?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    yeah, it's quiet. ...too quiet. ;-)
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast