1.    #1  
    here we have predictions from a anaylist of what will happen in 2011. One showing that HP/Palm will introduce Webos and be very successfull, and passing WP7 in market share. Also state about Googles dominence.

Smartphone predictions for 2011
    Submitted by brian s hall on 9 December, 2010 - 08:57
    I am confident that what I term the 'real-time smart social mobile web' will *fundamentally* remake wealth, work, learning, play and connectivity around the planet. This confidence in the permanent remaking of the state of things conversely makes me less confident in short-term predictions.

Nonetheless, to help crystallize my thinking, and as a service to readers and, let's face it, as a means of increasing page views, here are my 12 predictions for 2011. Yes, one for every month.

There will be an official Verizon iPhone, reducing AT&T's stock price by 5% and causing a massive, real-time dry ****** amongst America's tech bloggerati.

By the end of the year, over 45% of all mobile phone users in the United States will be using smartphones.
    The combined sales total of all Android-based tablets will be less than 1/3 of iPad v2. (US and worldwide)

MeeGo will be delayed, again, and its total smartphone market share -- not mobile phone but smartphone share -- will be less than 1%.
    Nokia will signal to Microsoft that it is ready to be taken and Microsoft will initiate high-level talks for forming an alliance (I do not expect an acquisition to take place in 2011).

Facebook will release a mobile phone operating system for 'developing' markets with the explicit purpose of reaching 1 billion total members. This will be designed exclusively for developing markets and will not compete with iOS, Android, Symbian et al. A Facebook smartphone platform/OS will not occur in 2011 (though will eventually happen).

Apple's iPhone 5 will focus less on advances in usability and functionality, which will be few, and more on processing power, battery life and audio/visual hardware improvements. The 'one more thing' will be that the iPhone 4 will be available in several countries, including the US, for $0 with two-year contract.

Despite the ongoing rapid growth of Android, and Google's dominance in mobile web display advertising, the revenues generated by this 'future' of computing will not appear to be able to reach equivalent numbers to Google's PC-based ad revenues. As such, Google will acquire more companies in hopes of goosing its value than in any previous year (and you can factor in inflation with this number, if you wish).

Several Palm/webOS devices will be released by HP. These will also be designed to work (better) with HP printers and other HP devices. HP will also offer businesses and consumers various deals to buy 'Palm' smartphones linked with the purchase of other HP products. This will be successful. By the end of 2011, webOS will have a larger market share than Windows Phone 7.

Yahoo and AOL will merge. Smartphones are the future of computing but the combined entity will accept that they cannot compete on the mobile web. They will focus their resources and develop a strategy built around the PC, older users (age 40 and up) and poorer users who have access to a computer but not to a smartphone. The combination of Yahoo-AOL, with a PC-based content focus, and a market strategy targeting older and poorer users will lead them into formal discussions to purchase Groupon. This will be reversed and Groupon will seek to purchase AOL-Yahoo for its strategic fit.
    No one you know and no one they know will know anyone who has a PSP phone. However, Blackberry will sell more devices than ever before (US and worldwide).

Steve Jobs, Eric Schmidt and Steve Ballmer will all announce their planned retirements. The global smartphone wars will break wide open!

Smartphone predictions for 2011 | the smartphone wars

what does everyone think about his predictions?
    Wishful thinking, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out, I'm optimistic about hpalm but that dwindles everyday they tell us be patient, or in the coming months
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by m3grady2 View Post
    Wishful thinking, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out, I'm optimistic about hpalm but that dwindles everyday they tell us be patient, or in the coming months
    yeah im in the same boat, but I guess for me looking at the timeframe buy out in july, and re working the pipeline. I would rather at this point wait for them to offer great devices, instead something rushed to the market. Understanding the Pre 2 was palms last thing ready before the buyout, im hoping these new devices are advance products. I myself too wont wait for ever, and hoping they have something in the first Q, as apposed to the june time frame.
    And the Detroit lions will be super bowl champions, and the mets will win the world series.

Evo-lution
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    And the Detroit lions will be super bowl champions, and the mets will win the world series.

Evo-lution
    which could also happen, though chances are unless they get better players and coaches the chances are less likely. HP being successful in the mobile platform when they are already in the computer relm, is alot more likely hence assumptions of so would make sense. Hows your EVO holding up?
    I think he gives us something to think about

My 2011 predection is all the folks who have complain about the following, rightfully so to an extent:
    1. HP not having new devices or leaks todate
    2. HP stating devices are coming in the "coming months"
    3. HP not working on other competitors timeline ie; Droid, WP 7 and phones makers
    4. HP not announcing they will release phones on ALL carriers at once, or on Sprint 1st
    5. Many more complaints I cant think of.....

I predict more than 95% of these folks will sing HP praises once the new devices are announced and released, just the nature of humans. Of course, there will be many who complain no matter what, but all the I am leaving Hpalm will be an afterthought.
    Last edited by RoverNole; 01/02/2011 at 11:40 AM.
    first apple isn't stupid there ui will be way different and there won't be a iphone 5 for another year and if they do just upgrade what you said then there dumb, andriods changing there ui constantly and ios needs to compete if and you are forgetting rim? But I've said this before rim could be replaced by palm depending on moves made by both rim is moving into the touch age and palm just needs good marketing and buzz and idk about wp7 I think it could be a great competetor but windows needs to put work in on the ui and nokia is doa meego looks stupid and simbian is old but I'm really interseted in how it plays out to, I'm thinking iOS will start falling to WP7 and andriod and webos with take rims spot.. Nokia will join either wp7 or andriod...
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Some bold predictions. Would be fun to see the industry shake up if any come true.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I did not mean to imply hp would not be successful,I think they will take off in the smart phone game, my comment was more saying it may not go down just like that,my evo? Its doing nicely seeing you asked,,,, happy new year dude.

Evo-lution
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by juavez707 View Post
    first apple isn't stupid there ui will be way different and there won't be a iphone 5 for another year and if they do just upgrade what you said then there dumb, andriods changing there ui constantly and ios needs to compete if and you are forgetting rim? But I've said this before rim could be replaced by palm depending on moves made by both rim is moving into the touch age and palm just needs good marketing and buzz and idk about wp7 I think it could be a great competetor but windows needs to put work in on the ui and nokia is doa meego looks stupid and simbian is old but I'm really interseted in how it plays out to, I'm thinking iOS will start falling to WP7 and andriod and webos with take rims spot.. Nokia will join either wp7 or andriod...
    I agree with this except what part of androids UI has changed in your opinion? I myself see the same UI since the G1 was introduced, to me they 've done a good job cleaning it up, but nothing really has changed in that department as far as I can see.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    I agree with this except what part of androids UI has changed in your opinion? I myself see the same UI since the G1 was introduced, to me they 've done a good job cleaning it up, but nothing really has changed in that department as far as I can see.
    Google just recently hired the guy who designed the webOS UI. They'll be putting his talents to work in a future version (probably 3.0)
    thats true there was a lot of cleaning up in 1.0 to 2.3? or whatever there at? but i think 3.0 will be changed even more looks wise and feel, like smooth transitions and scrolling, like on ios webos and wp7...

ive based these thoughts off of a video of andriod 3.0s music app

Updated Music app leaked -- shows off awesome UI overhaul | Android Central

and even if google doesn't change the ui, andriod is becoming the new "IT" product and with smartphone growth i think google with take advantage of there current spot...
    but my honest opinion is that the 3rd spot behind ios and andriod all comes down to apps and marketing.... look at andriod a alright os but with TONS of apps most not even that good, look at apple good os but thousands of apps, webos amazing os but not that many apps... windows know whats up theyre trying everything to get apps but lets face it most teenagers get a smart phone for apps and most adults dont know anything but apps they dont understand ios or andriod they know they have an app that can count there calories tho... not just games but functional and worthless fun apps... ones they can use for a day and delete... all im saying is APPS.........
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by juavez707 View Post
    but my honest opinion is that the 3rd spot behind ios and andriod all comes down to apps and marketing.... look at andriod a alright os but with TONS of apps most not even that good, look at apple good os but thousands of apps, webos amazing os but not that many apps... windows know whats up theyre trying everything to get apps but lets face it most teenagers get a smart phone for apps and most adults dont know anything but apps they dont understand ios or andriod they know they have an app that can count there calories tho... not just games but functional and worthless fun apps... ones they can use for a day and delete... all im saying is APPS.........
    def the truth in your statement. All I hear myself since day one is there are no apps for Webos. Even though most users are satisfied with what is in the app catalog today, it is really just about the quanity of apps rather then the quailty. As mind boggling it is, (like the whole 4inch + slab phone) HP needs to focus on the ladders, so that they can adopt users, then focus on whats innovating. Which IMO is a mobile device(something not larger then 3.6, or 3.7inchs) and applications that people really use, or want to use on a daily basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post

Evo-lution
    Lmaooooooooooooo!

Sent From Tapatalk.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    ...Several Palm/webOS devices will be released by HP. These will also be designed to work (better) with HP printers and other HP devices. HP will also offer businesses and consumers various deals to buy 'Palm' smartphones linked with the purchase of other HP products. This will be successful. By the end of 2011, webOS will have a larger market share than Windows Phone 7.
    This jibes almost completely with what I've been saying since HP bought Palm. It exception being a prediction about a larger market share than WP7 by the end of the year.

It could happen, but I wouldn't go out on a limb and protect it.

Expect to see some Palm phone devices essentially free to enterprise customers as part of a package deal (think "free phone with HP computer and printer), for at least part of next year.