Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I truly hate the mobile phone market. Its such a confusing mess of endless ill-conceived hardware that only lasts a year or 2 if your lucky.

Then when your hardware inevitably breaks, you get to spend half a day arguing with your carrier and transferring all of your crap over to the replacement phone. If its a different phone, you get to spend another week relearning how to use it.

Then 6 months later, they **** out a new phone thats just slightly improved enough to make you hate your current phone

So i propose that HP/Palm focus on one single perfect union of hardware and software and support that puppy for 4 or 5 years with frequent updates and exclusive first party apps/software, much like a PS3 and 360

I realize Apple already does this to an extent but even they release new hardware too frequently for my liking. Plus its Apple
    So, you're saying that if/when my WII breaks, I can run down and get a PS3 or a 360, and run all of my games on it???

Suwheet!!
  3.    #3  
    Or the Wii! A poor oversight on my part and maybe the best example of what im getting at here.

The Wii has been chugging along for 5 years now with a good reliability record and still selling like hotcakes. Certainly not because of its superior tech but because Nintendo supports it heavily with first party exclusives and excellent marketing

Im not sure what your getting at though, Wii's dont break
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    And you can use your Nintendo GameCube games on the Wii.

See where I'm getting at with this?...
    Last edited by RafRol; 01/01/2011 at 02:39 PM.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    4 or 5 years? No way... Mobile tech is different than video game consoles. Besides, the only way that would work would be if EVERY mobile phone company did the same thing lol
    One reason your console lives 5+ years longer than your smartphone is because you don't carry around your PS3 in your pocket or drop it from the height of your ear.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    4 or 5 years? No way... Mobile tech is different than video game consoles. Besides, the only way that would work would be if EVERY mobile phone company did the same thing lol
    I realize that but who says Palm cant lead the charge?
    By designing a phone that CAN withstand a 6 ft drop or being rained on or bouncing around in your pocket all day.

Or how bout a phone with an easily replaceable touchscreen should the need arise.

All im saying is Palm should be thinking outside the box here. Will releasing a family of ''me too'' multi-demographic phones into an already cluttered market get Palm back into the game? I have my doubts...
    Quote Originally Posted by predemption View Post
    Or the Wii! A poor oversight on my part and maybe the best example of what im getting at here.

The Wii has been chugging along for 5 years now with a good reliability record and still selling like hotcakes. Certainly not because of its superior tech but because Nintendo supports it heavily with first party exclusives and excellent marketing

My point was, you can't use the video game industry and cite it as an example of standardization. There isn't any standardization.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Making a phone withstand the hazards of everyday use will more than likely bump the price up, and besides, some people will get bored of the hardware while others will be embarrassed carrying around a phone that is older than two years.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
  10.    #10  
    It doesnt have to be standard, it can be just a Palm thing for all i care. It would be a great way for them to stand out from competitors.

As for the mobile/handheld devices being completely different beasts from consoles, i accept that but what about the DS and PSP lines?

Theyre both pocket/handheld devices prone to the same abuse as a mobile phone, yet both have remained relevant since 2005 or longer and have racked up well over 50 million sales a piece and i maybe should have used those as examples instead of the bigger consoles.

Im just thinking out loud here, i appreciate the feedback!
    this will not work. You simply can't compare the two industries. 1st, There is NO WAY a phone manufacture can make a single device that will remain competitive in the mobile market for 5 years and keep the cost at respectable level. Cell phones are already heavily subsidized as it is. 2nd, the software development processes between the two are too radically different. The makeup of consoles are such that developers cant use them @ their true potential until years after it's launch. This way, even as the hardware ages, the software continues to improve and give consumers a reason to be happy with there purchase. In mobile, if it takes that long for developers to be able utilize the device at it's full potential, it's a failure (see palm pre).

I think a better idea would be to have some sort of consumer reward program where, loyal Palm users can stay up to date with HP hardware without the trappings of carrier agreements.
    Regarding the DS and PSP platforms, each line has had multiple hardware revisions over the years to keep up with technology.

Also, those platforms are meant to do one thing and one thing only... Play games. They are build specifically to do this. Smartphones need to be able to do everything while keeping up to date with the competition. Smartphones also need to come in a variety of form factors (slab, vert slider, horizontal slider) and screen sizes. Mobile games platforms are pretty much a one-size-fits-all kind of thing...
  13.    #13  
    Yeah doing anything i suggest would be crazy, i wont argue with that. But i do think Palm or someone could make that model work eventually if the hardware and marketing were excellent out of the gate and if they could partner with the right carriers

Having said that, you all make valid arguments and i fully expect Palm to stay on the beaten path and retain its <5 percent market share
    Yeah doing anything i suggest would be crazy, i wont argue with that. But i do think Palm or someone could make that model work eventually if the hardware and marketing were excellent out of the gate and if they could partner with the right carriers

Having said that, you all make valid arguments and i fully expect Palm to stay on the beaten path and retain its <5 percent market share
    You have to realize, mobile phones are heavily subsidized already. the cost of making a phone that could stand up to the competition for five years would be out of this world (if its possible in the first place) Where consoles and phones differ, is in that console makers reach profitability through royalties attached to software, service, and peripheral sales. In the consumer mobile phone market,1) applications don't cost enough for the console software model to work 2) consumers already have to deal with carriers and wouldn't be accepting to addition service contracts from the phone makers 3)nobody wants to have to add additional hardware to use their phones.

the problem with your idea is you fail to realize that phone makers make their money through hardware sales. the physical product has to be profitable the day its sold to the carrier, which is part of the reason why the components become outdated so quickly. console makers can afford to take the hit on hardware costs because the money is made elsewhere.

Furthermore, i doubt phone makers will be able to rely on exclusive applications to drive the platform to profitability due to the relatively low cost of app development. whatever the iphone equivalent of gears of war is can be easily mimicked on android.

I'd like to see palm gain more than 5% market share, but i don't think this is the way to get them there. I think the closest thing will see to the console model is the iphone model.
    It doesnt have to be standard, it can be just a Palm thing for all i care. It would be a great way for them to stand out from competitors.

As for the mobile/handheld devices being completely different beasts from consoles, i accept that but what about the DS and PSP lines?

Theyre both pocket/handheld devices prone to the same abuse as a mobile phone, yet both have remained relevant since 2005 or longer and have racked up well over 50 million sales a piece and i maybe should have used those as examples instead of the bigger consoles.

Im just thinking out loud here, i appreciate the feedback!
    Do you think Palm is basically headed that direction?

The Pre was able to have some non-built in features added OTA. Video recording comes to mind. Voice dialing is rumored to be on the way.

At the moment, it seems that the older Pres will get what the new Pre 2 has.

Seems to be a pattern developing.
    i think the only company that comes close to this is Apple, but they have significant marketshare and an enormous band of loyal followers that allows them to do this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    i think the only company that comes close to this is Apple, but they have significant marketshare and an enormous band of loyal followers that allows them to do this.
    You really think Apple is coming closer to following the concept of upgrading old OSs & devices to new, and enabling new software to run on the old better than HP Palm?
    Consoles are made slow on purpose. A good gaming computer will cost thousands and need updated regularly to keep pace with modern games to max them out. Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo realize that most consumers are not willing to pay that price so they make their products last 5 or so years when they know full well they could be doing better on the hardware front. That will never work in the phone market where they are just trying to get things lag free at this point. Would you buy an EVO or an original Iphone which didnt even have 3g?

My wii broke. The GPU crapped out, and then the disk reader started refusing to read discs. Also, I've had three DSes break on me; a lite twice (hinge crack and top screen connection loose) and a phat (broken top screen).
    I'd say Palm should just work on getting two years out of a phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by pointy View Post
    this is a good concept (to have a great phone that lasts 4-5 years and receives ongoing updates). But in reaity it just doesn't work. There is too much hardware innovation going on with mobile phones. New hardware is incredibly important at the point we are at. If you have an iphone4, do You really wish you were still using an iphone 3g with updated software rigt now? Not me. Hardware refreshes are necessary until you reach a point of diminishing returns. We haventreached that point yet.
    I agree, 4-5 years is too much to realistically expect. However, 2 years is not. We have seen regular upgrades to the Pre. I realize the last few months have been sparse, but there are still added capabilities coming.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast