Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello all, I believe it's time to set a good goal for Palm to achieve in 2011.

Lets say, after CES, they start a vigorous ad campaign (backed by HP) for their new products they are supposedly rolling out. Heck, even advertise webOS 2.X. If they are going to do as much as they say, they should have a good year.

So if the palm marketshare is, what, 1.2% i believe, then what's a good goal?

If Palm can grab a 10% niche in the market by Q1 of 2012, I'd be ecstatic. What about you?
    Rule of thumb in the software world seems to be that 10% is required before it is considered for building an app. So someone better break that thumb, or get 10% share for webOS devices...
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    I'm hoping for 15% or 20%, but would be content with 10%.

I just hope HP's competitive roadmap isn't just for the next 6 months. I want next year's holidays to have amazing new hardware as well.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    I'm gonna say 3%-5% because none of the other OSes seem to be slowing down.
  5.    #5  
    well lets break it down, if they can put out new devices through the whole year (and with tablets and smartphones that seems possible), and market them well, they'd only have to gain about 2% marketshare per quarter. Is that unreasonable?
    I hate to be a downer, but I don't see it increasing at all.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    I hate to be a downer, but I don't see it increasing at all.
    I'm not ruling that out either, but before I'd say that I'd wait until after CES
    they will only catch the attention of people who want iphones. Which isn't everyone
    These 10% estimates have to be based on the assumption that HP will improve webOS significantly while Google, Microsoft, and Apple put their platforms on hold for a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Well, sustaining market share is difficult. Your hardware becomes stale, other more interesting smartphones come out, etc. It's not as if new Androids and WP7 phones aren't going to be hitting the shelves every few months, also. There will be two major iPhone events in 2011: the Verizon iPhone and iPhone 5 - each will arrive with a ton of attention.

Also, Q1 starts tomorrow and I don't think HP Palm is launching a device this weekend. Well, I guess we don't know that for sure - some people don't like wild assumptions like that.
    The iPhone is coming to Verizon in 2011? You're sure about that?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    These 10% estimates have to be based on the assumption that HP will improve webOS significantly while Google, Microsoft, and Apple put their platforms on hold for a year.
    Why would it be necessary for the competition to "put their platforms on hold for a year".

IOs is loosing ground, in spite of not putting their platform on hold. The fact is that Palm can increase market share even while the competition is improving their OSs.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Why would it be necessary for the competition to "put their platforms on hold for a year".

IOs is loosing ground, in spite of not putting their platform on hold. The fact is that Palm can increase market share even while the competition is improving their OSs.
    Because the only way HP can increase market share is by selling webOS phones. The only way they can sell webOS phones is by making it a product people want to buy.

I know it might come as a shock but webOS really isn't a very interesting product outside of this forum.

Android, iOS, and Windows Phone 7 are all far more compelling and better supported platforms and as HP improves on webOS, their competition will be making their products better too.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post

The iPhone is still the bestselling smartphone. I'd bet that if Apple went out and had dozens of manufacturers make phones with their OS, then they'd not be losing as much marketshare.

Android looks like it's going to implode IMO, with all the different manufacturers realizing that they're competing with themselves. Dunno if it's going to be next year, but there's only so much marketshare a platform can take.

I know it might come as a shock but webOS really isn't a very interesting product outside of this forum.
    Engadget seems to think it's an interesting product, just needs real hardware. Others feel the same way.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Rule of thumb in the software world seems to be that 10% is required before it is considered for building an app. So someone better break that thumb, or get 10% share for webOS devices...
    Rule of thumb doesnt mean breaking someones thumb, it meant that a man could only hit his wife with an item that was no wider than the width of his thumb.

28env - J.Straton - North Carolina.Violence women
  15.    #15  
    Well, sustaining market share is difficult. Your hardware becomes stale, other more interesting smartphones come out, etc. It's not as if new Androids and WP7 phones aren't going to be hitting the shelves every few months, also. There will be two major iPhone events in 2011: the Verizon iPhone and iPhone 5 - each will arrive with a ton of attention.

Also, Q1 starts tomorrow and I don't think HP Palm is launching a device this weekend. Well, I guess we don't know that for sure - some people don't like wild assumptions like that.
    I completely agree that it will be difficuly, especially since Android, WP7, and iOS devices will surge through the marketplace next year, BUT I believe there are many faithful webOS owners on Android and iOS who simply didn't like the hardware. I believe if Palm releases an awesome device next year (even along great contenders from other OSs) many of the webOS fans will come back to Palm in addition to all of the new people intrigued by webOS.

Edit: Also I think a vigorous ad campaign will help HPalm more than any one product will. Everyone who sees my Pre Plus is blown away, there just isn't any mindshare out there for webOS. When's the last time you've seen a palm commercial. And an iOS? Android?
    ...Actually, the fact is that they did nothing of the sort. They were decimated by the competition and their market share dropped precipitously. Is that not a fact? I mean, the Pre 2 is practically an aborted launch.
    The post I put up wasn't addressing what did happen, it addressed the notion that the competition must somehow sit still in order for Palm to gain market share.

I'm willing to make a bet with you (and I don't gamble often):

HP/Palm will increase market share next year. Loser buys the winner the tablet device of their choice. Ready to put up (since I doubt the chances of a shuddup)?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Because the only way HP can increase market share is by selling webOS phones. The only way they can sell webOS phones is by making it a product people want to buy.

Android, iOS, and Windows Phone 7 are all far more compelling and better supported platforms and as HP improves on webOS, their competition will be making their products better too.
    I'll make the same bet offer to you.

I find the "isn't a very interesting product outside of this forum" nonsense funny. First of all, there's still a lot of interest, just Google it.

But what's really funny - it's "interesting" enough to keep iPhans (no names mentioned) coming here.
    The problem is that some companies can NEVER be overcome by anyone else, because they are just too far ahead and the game cannot be turned around.

2006: The edge of Nokia and Palm is just too big...
    2007: The edge of Palm and WinMo is just too big...
    2008: The edge of WinMo and RIM is just too big...
    2009: The edge of RIM and Apple is just too big...
    2010: The edge of Apple and Google is just too big...

See what I mean? It'll always be this way. History is OVER, people! All that can happen, has already happened. Nothing new can happen because the old is just too overwhelming.

In a loosely related story, my Parents always wanted to go see the Berlin wall. They were going to travel to Berlin in 1989, but then something happened and my Dad said that it's not really important as the wall will always be there, because the Soviet Union is just too strong to collapse anytime soon, so they didn't go after all. Whoops! By the way, they never did get to see it, just the few meters of wall ruin that are left.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Interestingly, None of those companies with a prior "edge" seems to have been able to get back on top.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    The problem is that some companies can NEVER be overcome by anyone else, because they are just too far ahead and the game cannot be turned around.

See what I mean? It'll always be this way. History is OVER, people! All that can happen, has already happened. Nothing new can happen because the old is just too overwhelming.

In a loosely related story, my Parents always wanted to go see the Berlin wall. They were going to travel to Berlin in 1989, but then something happened and my Dad said that it's not really important as the wall will always be there, because the Soviet Union is just too strong to collapse anytime soon, so they didn't go after all. Whoops! By the way, they never did get to see it, just the few meters of wall ruin that are left.

And yet with all this you fail to see what happened with personal computers...

How many companies, after the big boom [2000], have been started and successfully gained market-share since then?
    Oh wait, most have merged together or gone bankrupt haven't they?

The explosion that has happened in the last year and a half in the mobile world is great...really it is...

But it has a limit.

Think about this:
    How many OS exist for PCs?
    Two. [Technically three but as Linux's marketshare is 1.09%...]

Why? Because you cannot have 6 different platforms for standardization [which is what we're headed to]

We have 6 players in the mobile OS world...
    IOS, Android, Symbian, Blackberry, WebOS, WM7.

In all likelihood it will drop to three as well if not two.

• IOS will stay because of that "niche". Plain and simple. It's marketshare will probably drop to 10% to 20% and stay in that range.

WM7 may stay because of Windows OS but that's really hard to say. They have developer interest, as evident of the fact that they have more apps
      than WebOS already, but it's hard to say. If it does I would say it's marketshare would be around 10% to 20%. But I still have my doubts in the platform sticking.

Symbian and Blackberry are dying franchises that only still exist because they have existed previously. Dust settles and they're gone.

Android's open source platform is the reason it's taken off to the degree it has. It's very likely that because of this fact alone it will become the Windows of Mobile electronics. I would say 60% - 80% marketshare isn't out of the question.

WebOS may stay because... ? I would be surprised if it's market share reaches 10% at any point unless some MAJOR things happen in the mobile world.
      And I mean MAJOR.
      Does it have a chance in being one of the dust settlers? Honestly, I doubt it.

When people bring up "over saturation" they are right but they are wrong about the issue.
    The "over saturation" that exists in the market is the amount of mobile OS we have.
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 01/10/2011 at 05:47 AM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast