Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 49 of 49
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    What was HP's last big consumer 'must have'? .
    i would take it slightly further and pose what was HP's last big consumer focused software product? I'm not big on WP7 but it's not remotely a surprise to me that microsoft can just pop up with a halfway decent mobile OS cause software is what they've always done. Google too, they make code. HTC, they make hardware. Software, eh, not so much. Motorola? hardware. So HP does lots of stuff but their bread and butter, is hardware. That doesn't mean it's impossible for them to deliver. Just that it's far from a foregone conclusion because it' kinda in an area they haven't had the most success in.

    Regarding the demise of RIM

    the CES podcast had an interesting section on RIM. Apparently their new OS is the result of them buy a company called QNX i think. I guess they are known for making software, They do nuclear missle security. So the commenter noted that this was a good blend of a hardwar company that needed software and a software company that needed hardware. i think it looks good and if they could get that into a phone i think reports of their demise would be premature. And given the importance of security with blackberries and this companies history of security i that history could be a strong point with business. One thing that gave me pause though was they mentioned the company they bought had never had a consumer product. Makes you wonder if they have their finger on the pulse of the public or would they be able to keep up with constantly changing consumer demands in areas that may not be front in the minds of business focused people. Who knows. I think they are in decline but i think if they made a playbook like OS for phones, die hard blackberry users would go nowhere. Whether the can while they are still relevant remains to be seen.
  2. dint56's Avatar
    Posts
    68 Posts
    Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    #42  
    What everyone is forgetting is that it's not the Number of Phones that are sold, but Devices that have WebOS on them. Tablets and Phones count as WebOS. Iphone is not the only reason they have such mass market appeal, they have their OS on Ipods, the IPAD and all the other devices. The fight is an OS not hardware.
  3. #43  
    With Verizon launching the iPhone this month, I fear Palm might have a bit of bad timing again in launching their phones.

    I'm hoping HP will at least come out with some excellent marketing for WebOS devices but time will only tell.

    Fingers crossed...
  4.    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    With Verizon launching the iPhone this month, I fear Palm might have a bit of bad timing again in launching their phones.

    I'm hoping HP will at least come out with some excellent marketing for WebOS devices but time will only tell.

    Fingers crossed...
    Yes. I believe that marketing will make or break whatever products HP throws out in Feb. In fact, the Pre could have been much more popular with good marketing.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    i would take it slightly further and pose what was HP's last big consumer focused software product? I'm not big on WP7 but it's not remotely a surprise to me that microsoft can just pop up with a halfway decent mobile OS cause software is what they've always done. Google too, they make code. HTC, they make hardware. Software, eh, not so much. Motorola? hardware. So HP does lots of stuff but their bread and butter, is hardware. That doesn't mean it's impossible for them to deliver. Just that it's far from a foregone conclusion because it' kinda in an area they haven't had the most success in.
    WP7 is performing better because it has a quite strong legacy marketshare from Windows Mobile.

    Palm had almost no presence in the market when they released webOS.

    I think HP wants to go consumer side with webOS. They know the consumer market is moving "mobile" (phones, tablets, netbooks and so on) and they want to bring a differentiated product to market. That's the reason they bought Palm
    Newness Developments apps:

  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    WP7 is performing better because it has a quite strong legacy marketshare from Windows Mobile.

    Palm had almost no presence in the market when they released webOS.
    Both Palm and WM6 had decent market entering the year before their new OS releases (~15% each). Both Palm and WM6 saw significant drops in their market share in the final months leading up to their new OS releases (Palm from 15% to 7% / WM from 19% to 8%). Essentially, both platforms had the same histories while converting to their respective new OSes. The big difference is turning out to be what happened after the new OSes hit the market.
  7. #47  
    2-3%


    My Themes:CLICK HERE
  8. #48  
    A realistic goal for me - and this is with no snark or humor intended - is simply to be clearly listed on all marketshare surveys instead of being lumped in under "Palm" (which includes Palm OS devices) or "Other".

    That would be progress, for real.
  9. #49  
    +1
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions