Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49
  1. Ulairi's Avatar
    Posts
    276 Posts
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    #21  
    I think webOS getting to 10% marketshare is very doable this year. They will launch with at least two phones, a renewed marketing push, and a tablet. webOS is the best (or one of the top two) mobile platforms. They just need some new hardware to jump start it.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    I think webOS getting to 10% marketshare is very doable this year. They will launch with at least two phones, a renewed marketing push, and a tablet. webOS is the best (or one of the top two) mobile platforms. They just need some new hardware to jump start it.
    Two comments.

    When you say "WebOS is the best mobile platform" let's not confuse the platform for the UI.

    Other comment:

    Apps.

    WM7 doesn't have "the best hardware in the world" and yet they have been able to get more apps in a month than what WebOS did in 18 months.
  3. Ulairi's Avatar
    Posts
    276 Posts
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Two comments.

    When you say "WebOS is the best mobile platform" let's not confuse the platform for the UI.

    Other comment:

    Apps.

    WM7 doesn't have "the best hardware in the world" and yet they have been able to get more apps in a month than what WebOS did in 18 months.
    webOS has been in limbo for over a year. HP is relaunching the platform using their branding and muscle. It's not the same at all.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    webOS has been in limbo for over a year. HP is relaunching the platform using their branding and muscle. It's not the same at all.
    Not the same as...?
  5. Ulairi's Avatar
    Posts
    276 Posts
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Not the same as...?
    When Palm launched two years ago.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    When Palm launched two years ago.
    I'm not sure why you say that?
    I never said it was..
  7. #27  
    But even when Palm launched 2 years ago it never managed to do much of anything. Saying it was in limbo for the past year means nothing because it was not progressing much even before it entered this alleged limbo state. Why do people insist that webOS failed "due to no fault of it's own"? It's a beautiful UI with some major issues in its underpinnings. Developers have stayed away from it. Users have stayed away from it. Carriers have stayed away from it. It had bad hardware, bad marketing, bad management, missing APIs and too many cards. It was quite undercooked, missing lots of features and underperformed on pretty much every foreign and domestic carrier where it was launched. Surely "some" of this had "something" to do with its failure.

    Perhaps HP can fix it and revive it, but let's not pretend that it failed because people were too stupid to want it.
  8. #28  
    I cant see 10% unless they realy ramp it up quickly. Some really new devices are needed. Pre 10 isnt going to do it. Verizon will sell some iPhones, but I woud not expect it to be as huge as AT&T. A lot of people love their Droids. AT&T starting to push Android harder with Verizon getting the iphone. As far as the Best OS or UI, it is Palm. I have a android phone and a iPod touch. They both are just bad. This does not make up those for the hardware issues and Palm now has a tarnished rep. Maybe HP should drop the Palm logo and go it alone with Web OS.
  9. #29  
    after spending a couple hours at the mall yesterday visiting 3 different sprint stores...i sure got looked at funny even asking about webos.. One manager said 'havent had anyone ask about webos in a few months' lol. Besides most people being stupid and me knowing more about hp palm then them.. I sadly left feeling webos is a dying breed with no hope no matter what new hardware comes out.
    I know these are just a few peoples thought..but hearing it from someone else is worse then reading it on a forum
  10. #30  
    Matty, its tough to disagree with your overall analysis. However, I think (because of the fact that I agree with your assessment of RIM's chances) it's still too early to make these predictions.

    In addition to the larger precentage of people that have yet to buy into the smartphone market, you have to account for the huge percentage of people already in the smartphone market who will be looking to make a switch from Blackberry in the next 2-3 years. Lets be honest, they aren't going back to dumbphones.

    I believe WebOS's hopes lie in staking a large chunk out of the BB exodus. If they can get 10-15% of THAT group, it would be a huge success.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    Matty, its tough to disagree with your overall analysis. However, I think (because of the fact that I agree with your assessment of RIM's chances) it's still too early to make these predictions.

    In addition to the larger precentage of people that have yet to buy into the smartphone market, you have to account for the huge percentage of people already in the smartphone market who will be looking to make a switch from Blackberry in the next 2-3 years. Lets be honest, they aren't going back to dumbphones.

    I believe WebOS's hopes lie in staking a large chunk out of the BB exodus. If they can get 10-15% of THAT group, it would be a huge success.
    Perhaps that's where their hopes lie, but my question is how are they gonna get that large chunk from the BB exodus. There are reports, like this one, that suggest those users already have their eyes set on Android and iOS. Only about 4%, according this this particular report, are considering something in the "other" category where I assume webOS is. There is a "Not Sure" category as well that consists of 19% but how does HP get the majority of those? It's not like Android, iOS and WP7 will not be making a play for those consumers as well.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Perhaps that's where their hopes lie, but my question is how are they gonna get that large chunk from the BB exodus. There are reports, like this one, that suggest those users already have their eyes set on Android and iOS. Only about 4%, according this this particular report, are considering something in the "other" category where I assume webOS is. There is a "Not Sure" category as well that consists of 19% but how does HP get the majority of those? It's not like Android, iOS and WP7 will not be making a play for those consumers as well.
    Of course you are right, I doubt a significant percentage of those users are looking to jump to WebOS at the moment. However, I think the vast majority of current BB users aren't leaving the platform immediately, they will be leaving "in the coming months" and years. [sorry, had to]. The way too get a large percentage of those users is to have an elegant OS that can compete with apple (I happen to think WebOS does this, though you are free to disagree), while also having the enterprise usefulness of BB's (security protocols, etc). I haven't seen HP state that this is the direction they are going in, but I can't help but think that HP is one of the few companies that could bring these features to their OS.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    Of course you are right, I doubt a significant percentage of those users are looking to jump to WebOS at the moment. However, I think the vast majority of current BB users aren't leaving the platform immediately, they will be leaving "in the coming months" and years. [sorry, had to]. The way too get a large percentage of those users is to have an elegant OS that can compete with apple (I happen to think WebOS does this, though you are free to disagree), while also having the enterprise usefulness of BB's (security protocols, etc). I haven't seen HP state that this is the direction they are going in, but I can't help but think that HP is one of the few companies that could bring these features to their OS.
    Fair enough. That "coming months" line was a perfectly placed pun by the way.
  14. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    but I can't help but think that HP is one of the few companies that could bring these features to their OS.
    What was HP's last big consumer 'must have'? People keep on going on about the size and scale of HP and sure they knock out a lot of grey box printers and pc and camera at high volumes and low margins but what in the consumer space has actually wowed anyone? I'm thinking and thinking and coming up blank...
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    What was HP's last big consumer 'must have'? People keep on going on about the size and scale of HP and sure they knock out a lot of grey box printers and pc and camera at high volumes and low margins but what in the consumer space has actually wowed anyone? I'm thinking and thinking and coming up blank...
    That wasn't really my point. My point was that HP (presumably) has the enterprise capabilities to build those security protocols (and whatever else makes BB such a great business devices) into their phones/webOS.

    But to your point. I think you are right, and I think they bought Palm specifically to change that up, but I have seen many of your posts and I know that you are skeptical of HP's ability to make a compelling end-user device. I can't say you are wrong, only that I am hopeful (and I think realistically) that this is about to change, at least with respect to mobile devices.
  16. #36  
    Palm better hurry cause blackberry already has a Qnx phone OS in the works. I think you are all putting bb aside when after showing the playbook are still most definietly in this game. (more so than hpalm migt I add)
  17. #37  
    Goal 5%
    Realistic 2%

    Unless HP Prices super phones at a loss and webos 2.x comes out with more features as well as new great apps I don't see how even 5% will happen. I'm sure they won't want to get stuck with the 'cheap' brand lable though and I've never known HP to be cheap so I don't think this will happen. Of course I'm not much of a gambler so hopefully I'm crazy and the numbers will be much higher. The Palm crew must think they have something great given their post XMas poem, hopefully they are not irrationaly exuberant. Either way I'll probably get the next HP phone for one more cycle as long as it is decent.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Palm better hurry cause blackberry already has a Qnx phone OS in the works. I think you are all putting bb aside when after showing the playbook are still most definietly in this game. (more so than hpalm migt I add)
    The problem with Blackberry is that they remain stagnant for way too long.

    Plus, they are way too "business-y" which doesn't help either.

    If I can do everything [and more] on Android [which is free] or iPhone then why would I want to restrict myself to old boring blackberry?

    That's the attitude and truth of the matter.


    It is important to note your last comment though.
    (more so than hpalm might I add)
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 01/10/2011 at 06:45 PM. Reason: fixed your type IcerC :p
  19. #39  
    I think that if the current share is 1.2 then a 5% increase in share over the next year would be an unqualified success
    HP says they are playing the long game with webOS. to that end, if they were to increase market share 4 to 5% each year for the next few years, they could build a nice solid base. perhaps 15-20% in 4 years?

    I think that would be a pretty good move.

    as far as the tablet space, I think that is a more open market right now, and they could potentially pull 20% of it this year if they execute correctly.
    There are four lights.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Well, it's not like building a house where you establish some sort of foundation that you build on top of. Your platform market share is continually being assaulted as new devices come on the market and your user base renews their hardware. Even if webOS were to achieve 5% this year, there's no reason why it would necessarily add on another five percent per year.

    As for 20% share of tablets - not a chance. Analysts are predicting that all of the Android tablets released in 2010 and announced at CES may garner 30-40% of the tablet market this year. That's dozens of models running the most popular smartphone mobile OS not the least popular one.
    It's a quite good analysis. But whitout knowing what's in the pipeline nobody can assure anything.

    Maybe they nailed the phones, and they can reach 15 million phones worldwide in 12 months from first release (not an impossible mark to reach if they release 3-4 devices, ask Samsung). That numbers probably can make webOS gain a little market share compared to iOS and Android, but will be enough to get scale.

    But this depends a lot on what HP has ready on the software side.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Newness Developments apps:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions