Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    the game is just starting....

HP Labs I'm sure will be leading the way towards making these devices a reality in our lifetime.
    Quote Originally Posted by fredc1 View Post

HP Labs I'm sure will be leading the way towards making these devices a reality in our lifetime.
    Why do you think HP will lead the way in bringing us something conceived of by Nokia?
    I don't think it's over for H/Palm at all. However, that video is 2 years old, so I hope things have progressed since then...
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Nanotechnology conceived of by Nokia?...Really?

Granted they have produced a nice video....but

Nanotechnology research at HP Labs overview

HP is as deep into this as is anyone.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    I was just reminding folks that there is still way lots of room for HP, or anyone, even Nokia, to make a breakthrough and climb to the top of the heap.
    Nanotechnology conceived of by Nokia?...Really?
    I think you can make a better case for attributing the application of nanotechnology in mobile devices to Nokia, yes.
    Finally, I'll only need to have one set of million dollar clothes. They will clean themselves, repair themselves, change appearance for the appropriate occasion, recharge themselves, etc.

This is too far out there for me to even care about right now. For a product to be adopted by the mainstream, it has to be what people want, or it has to be the next thing they want. Can't skip generations.
    I think that at this point in mobile communications/computing we are still sorting out the application of convergence and what OS concepts will drive use and usability. Physical things like the concept shown in that video is based on technology that will take decades to mature. No, I think a phone/mobile computer based on the concepts shown is a minimum of 15 years away, but may in fact be a vision of the future similar to the sky car from the Jetsons. It is likely that the way we use mobile computers/communications will be so different that the very idea of folding a phone to different shapes is itself obsolete. I think it is more likely that the future will see your mobile phone/computing device as a wearible item that beams an image onto your retina and you interact with the augmented reality display as though it were a floating desktop, like this than a T9 phone that folds out to a netbook. Just sayin'
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    I was just reminding folks that there is still way lots of room for HP, or anyone, even Nokia, to make a breakthrough and climb to the top of the heap.
    Nokia is the top of the heap. They just did it without ever really pushing for a piece of the US smartphone marketshare.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.

Your imagination runs deep, however the Flux Capacitor will will be out long before this.
    I think you just reminded people that Nokia is still in the hunt. No doubt Nokia's patent attorneys have already filed multiple patents for the ideas in that video (or they wouldn't have made the video).

Maybe HP can license those ideas from Nokia someday.
    I certainly dont think its over Palm, My guess is that the Pre 2 wasn't their only planned device. I expect that they are planning something, something big at that.
    The million dollar phone? lol. The sad thing is, none of us will probably be alive to see this. HP does already have the flexible display though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    No doubt Nokia's patent attorneys have already filed multiple patents for the ideas ...
    Stop. A mere idea CANNOT be patented. Only a novel invention that, you know, actually does something.

The most egregious of recent patents to come to mind is Amazon's (old?) "1-click shopping" patent. Only, that patent was really on their whole system, which is a heck of a lot more complex and specific than "hey, let's run an electronic tab on our website for folks!"

If ideas were patentable at all, Xerox would own Microsoft and Apple.
    Doug Meerschaert
    NoInsultSoftware.com

Apps: Scratch, GasMath, CheckMath
    Quote Originally Posted by Planesdragon View Post
    Stop. A mere idea CANNOT be patented. Only a novel invention that, you know, actually does something.
    Why do you presume the video is portraying "mere ideas?" All inventions begin with ideas, but a technology company seldom (if ever) wastes resources producing media about some pie-in-the-sky, mere ideas. Why would they want to tip off their competition in such a cavalier fashion? They wouldn't. Once they feel their IP is well protected, they might be tempted to create/release a video like this one to generate buzz. There, all better now or do I still have to stop?
    brother,

don't want to be rude. But first of all, I don't even have a better than pre new smartphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Your imagination runs deep, however the Flux Capacitor will will be out long before this.
    yeah this technology "if" it can even happen wouldn't hit any market for 10+ years.
    They have that OG palm green theme going (or not going) for them
    I'll get excited about this stuff when they figure out how to prevent nanoparticles from causing cancer and lung disease.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    Why do you presume the video is portraying "mere ideas?" All inventions begin with ideas, but a technology company seldom (if ever) wastes resources producing media about some pie-in-the-sky, mere ideas. Why would they want to tip off their competition in such a cavalier fashion? They wouldn't. Once they feel their IP is well protected, they might be tempted to create/release a video like this one to generate buzz. There, all better now or do I still have to stop?
    Well, I won't say you have to stop. But that's a fundamental misunderstanding of patent law. In order to receive a patent, the applicant must "possess" the invention. So, for instance, there are lots of crazy applications that you can find on the USPTO's website--a Star Trek-like warp core engine, for instance--that can't and won't be granted because the applicant can't actually make the item. So, lots of companies put out these kinds of futuristic videos; that doesn't mean that they've patented the item.

True, Nokia may have several patents relating to nano-technology. That's easy enough to look up if you want to go through the effort. I fully expect that HP does, too, as do many other companies. Kind of like the smartphone patent wars that are going on right now, all these companies may someday be running afoul of everyone else's patents, even if they have their own. Still, I highly doubt that Nokia has a) all the technology to manufacture and sell that item or b) patents protecting all the related technology.