Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    If there is a new high end device in June that is perfect, had my pre for 13 months, by June evo for 8 months, and if the apps are there, new high end webos device will be very nice. Looking forward to seeing it.
    Totally agree, zmann... The electronics marked is A.D.D. on crack with new stuff coming out all the time. This phone is the longest I've ever owned anything electronic as a sole-use item. There will always be jumping back and forth from one device to another as newer stuff hits. I'm looking forward to seeing if HP flexes some muscle (and money) in the market. They've always wanted to get in competitively, they spent a buttload of money on Palm, and I figure they see it as 'go big or go home'. At least we are hoping.
  2.    #62  
    I was saying HP brought a ad during the superbowl and i dont know what device it is. I Hope They do Something big at CES The palm pad wont be big to me cause i have a ipad and have no plans of buying another tablet unless this thing blows me away. I currently have a evo. I was the advocate for it so i got it for free. glad i did because i really dont like it. so i need some palm love. you guys keep me infatuated with webos THANK YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Or, a Java engine could be developed for WebOS independent of HP/Palm.
    The problem with that is that the engine, or runtime, would need to be packaged and loaded with each app.

That means apps would:
    1) be in excess of 200MB each
    2) Take a ridiculous amount of time to load

I'm not sure if there'd be a memory constraint because of the larger runtime (ie TMC) since the runtime could potentially be selectively used.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    The problem with that is that the engine, or runtime, would need to be packaged and loaded with each app.
    Why? There are many services that can be added to the Pre. There are many homebrew apps that rely on those services. If you use PreWare to download apps that require a particular service (that you don't have), you will be prompted to download it.
    That's true,

I'm thinking with the official app catalog in mind.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Why? There are many services that can be added to the Pre. There are many homebrew apps that rely on those services. If you use PreWare to download apps that require a particular service (that you don't have), you will be prompted to download it.

Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    That's true,

I'm thinking with the official app catalog in mind.
    Unless HP Palm changes the way they "compartmentalize" applications in WebOS, this wouldn't be available in the official Apps Catalog, but that's almost become a moot point. Palm enthusiasticly allows HomeBrew, so that's I don't really see that as an issue.

My initial response - "Or, a Java engine could be developed for WebOS independent of HP/Palm" was actually a bit factious. It's already been done, and apps have been released to work on it.
    To me, it's kind of funny to read the posts in here. HP/Palm/webOS is looking deader than dirt. A little nugget about a good phone being available on Sprint in 6 months is enough to get people excited in here?

HP/Palm should change their brand message from "Faster, Smarter, and tons of fun." to "Coming Sometime, Probably Something Better Than What We Have."
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    To me, it's kind of funny to read the posts in here. HP/Palm/webOS is looking deader than dirt. A little nugget about a good phone being available on Sprint in 6 months is enough to get people excited in here?

HP/Palm should change their brand message from "Faster, Smarter, and tons of fun." to "Coming Sometime, Probably Something Better Than What We Have."

to me its, i dont mind having my overclocked and patched pre, and im excited to wait and see whats next with this great OS. your right, palm is dead, cause they were bought by one of the most ingenious tech firms in the world. if u dont think something great is coming then ur just being naive. patience is a virtue that is not recognized this day in age with a generation that wants and neeeeeeeeds things now.
    So you're inclined to believe only HP <<edited>> is superior at developing software than Google or Apple or Microsoft or RIM, and better at developing hardware than Samsung, HTC, Apple, RIM, LG, and the rest? In fact, HP is so much better at hardware and software development, they'll be able to take an outdated device and an OS that is falling behind its competitors and release something so groundbreaking and with such fanfare that it will somehow turn the tide?

With a pathetic 4% market share (and falling), no currently competitive products, virtually no industry or user interest, and 6 months after the finalization of the Palm acquisition with nothing to brag about, HP's attempt at breaking into the mobile device arena is looking like a failure.

HP has nothing going for it in the mobile device marketplace. The Samsung Galaxy Tab is out and sold a million units in 2 weeks. Apple has been selling tens of millions of iPads. webOS is the red-headed stepchild of the mobile carriers and even highly acclaimed Windows 7 Mobile devices (much better hardware than any Palm device) have failed. HP has countered with what? Nothing. A largely unavailable Pre 2 that didn't address the majority of shortcomings of the Pre Plus or original Pre, and failed with some pretty buggy OS behavior to boot.

The mobile device market is quickly becoming Android vs. iOS and HP has been too slow and too passive. Quite frankly, it will take stellar marketing, an awesome product, and a short timetable prior to release to save webOS at this point.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 01/03/2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: removed filtered term
    anything is possible, goonies NEVER say die!
    So you're inclined to believe only HP <<edited>> is superior at developing software than Google or Apple or Microsoft or RIM, and better at developing hardware than Samsung, HTC, Apple, RIM, LG, and the rest? In fact, HP is so much better at hardware and software development, they'll be able to take an outdated device and an OS that is falling behind its competitors and release something so groundbreaking and with such fanfare that it will somehow turn the tide?

With a pathetic 4% market share (and falling), no currently competitive products, virtually no industry or user interest, and 6 months after the finalization of the Palm acquisition with nothing to brag about, HP's attempt at breaking into the mobile device arena is looking like a failure.

HP has nothing going for it in the mobile device marketplace. The Samsung Galaxy Tab is out and sold a million units in 2 weeks. Apple has been selling tens of millions of iPads. webOS is the red-headed stepchild of the mobile carriers and even highly acclaimed Windows 7 Mobile devices (much better hardware than any Palm device) have failed. HP has countered with what? Nothing. A largely unavailable Pre 2 that didn't address the majority of shortcomings of the Pre Plus or original Pre, and failed with some pretty buggy OS behavior to boot.

The mobile device market is quickly becoming Android vs. iOS and HP has been too slow and too passive. Quite frankly, it will take stellar marketing, an awesome product, and a short timetable prior to release to save webOS at this point.
    don't bring that logical common sense approach in here. Hpalm will blow them out the water come thursday, you'll see
    +1 ^^^
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->

What brings you to PreCentral?
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    He's looking to get banned for spam ! lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Good question. I'd like to know as well. Most of the quote is borderline ridiculous anyways. Android was a blip in the iOS and BB shadow just a little over a year ago. Things change rapidly in this market.
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    I have a release day sprint pre, with Uberkernal 500/1000 screen stste and various apps make the Pre a satisfactory smart phone for basic needs like navigation, web searches, math calculations, PIM tasks, and media playback. Keeping core apps open in the card state this phone can competitively perform most common smatphone features. Sprint offers the most sevices per $ and I use them all on aregular basis. I'm looking forward to better hardware and webos upgrades, but currently this smartphone keeps me satisfied, without any of the alternatives tempting me to switch to a different OS and/or service provider. WebOs works well for the basic smartphone functions, seems like a fine launching pad for future HP hardware.

I have to agree. Sprint was kind enough to send me a message to the effect - 'congrats, we love you, you are eligible for an upgrade' about 3 weeks ahead of my renewal date. It just so happens that I lost my Pre NYE (cab driver later found it in his cab and is returning it to me).

Anyway, I was at a crossroads of spending $100 to replace it; which I did not want to do so close to new devices coming out. I was really hoping to see something to justify my getting a replacement Pre for a few months. The lost phone forced my hand. I got the Evo.

I was really hating on it for the first day, but I am coming around very fast. I believe the next gen Palm device will do the same for me and I expect I will bite the bullet (pay full fee) for it because I totally expect a serious home run from HP/Palm.

I will have my Pre back in the next day or two and I have 30 days on the Evo to return in the event of an announcement from Palm during that time.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    he works for android
  19.    #79  
    So it looks like the folks over at palm info center seem to believe that Sprint won't get another webos device untill june as well. i dont want to wait but it looks like i am going to have to
    A friend stopped by my desk a few hours ago and he asked how my Pre was doing (working fine, no need to go into the store after I got it in June '09). He broke his Pre after Sprint stopped selling them, so he got one of the Galaxy phones to replace it. He likes it for some things, but overall, he hates it in comparison to webOS. He'd love to get webOS on new hardware.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast