Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    ... I truly wouldn't be surprised if they had bunch of big developers working under NDA to load up the catalog.
    I still wouldn't be surprised if they had a smaller bunch of developers under NDA working on an application compatibility layer that would let all Android apps run on webOS. What quicker way to load up the webOS app catalog than provide Android app compatibility? Although the early Palm programmers were influenced heavily by Apple, I don't think that even HP's pockets are deep enough to go toe-to-toe against Apple in court if they introduced iOS compatibility. Hence, targeting Android stuff. If webOS could tap the Android Application Marketplace, that would take away a *huge* shortcoming in webOS's current marketability.....
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    The Sprint device will hopefully be the WebOS alternative to whatever Android 4G flagship they have, something reps won't be ashamed of trying to sell to people coming in for something special. I just hope the WebOS tablet doesn't make me regret spending a fair amount on my iPad!! If they bring out a Pre 2 with a slightly larger screen (3.5 to 3.7") and a much better camera, and pixi-esque keys, as much as I love my 1ghz Pre+ that's been patched beyond recognition into something awesome, I'm gonna have to let it go!
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Let me make sure I got this rumor right. ...
    Palm is like the Packers - either really good or really bad! Hopefully - like their game with the Patriots, they will really surprise us (but even then they might still lose in the end).
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    yeah very true with the previous posts have said, but remember people we are no longer dealing with little ole Palm anymore. Not dealing with a small fish in the sea, with little money, and only a loyal user base from the palm pilot, treo days. We are dealing with HP, the number one computer company in the world. The 10 most respected brand company in the world even above Apple in those respects. A powerfull company that can execute those little dream list we had on a powerful webos smartphone, and bring it to life for real. With all those other 5 acquistions made in conjuction with the Palm one, and the money invested afterwards in production for Webos, I really dont think they intend on playing around and making a fool out of themselves, IMO i really dont think so.
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    I still wouldn't be surprised if they had a smaller bunch of developers under NDA working on an application compatibility layer that would let all Android apps run on webOS. What quicker way to load up the webOS app catalog than provide Android app compatibility? Although the early Palm programmers were influenced heavily by Apple, I don't think that even HP's pockets are deep enough to go toe-to-toe against Apple in court if they introduced iOS compatibility. Hence, targeting Android stuff. If webOS could tap the Android Application Marketplace, that would take away a *huge* shortcoming in webOS's current marketability.....
    Surprisingly, this is the first time I had heard or thought about this. They are both Linux. It should be very possibly to do as you said. At least to a point where it's easy to port the apps by doing the UI layout and running with the rest of the code. Might need some different event handling depending on how the Android kernel handles multiple threads and scheduling. Should be quite doable, or at the very least, provide a set of tools that makes it a snap to port Android apps to webOS with only a need to put the UI together.

One way or another, I think those 200+ HP employees will be helping Palm change the dynamics on the app front. Would be really nice if they announced at CES that, along with new phones and tablets, that they were now introducing another thousand apps or more through some big initiative. Or...not.

Who knows (the people under NDA's...that's who!!)? Only a week to go until we find out.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    yeah very true with the previous posts have said, but remember people we are no longer dealing with little ole Palm anymore. Not dealing with a small fish in the sea, with little money, and only a loyal user base from the palm pilot, treo days. We are dealing with HP, the number one computer company in the world. The 10 most respected brand company in the world even above Apple in those respects. A powerfull company that can execute those little dream list we had on a powerful webos smartphone, and bring it to life for real. With all those other 5 acquistions made in conjuction with the Palm one, and the money invested afterwards in production for Webos, I really dont think they intend on playing around and making a fool out of themselves, IMO i really dont think so.
    Reading that made my heart tingle
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    as a dedicated webOS apologist, June is a really long time to wait. At that point they'll have owned Palm for nearly a year. Hopefully we'll see something before that. Doesn't have to be the end of January but.. i don't know.. February? March?
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    as a dedicated webOS apologist, June is a really long time to wait. At that point they'll have owned Palm for nearly a year. Hopefully we'll see something before that. Doesn't have to be the end of January but.. i don't know.. February? March?
    I agree,

They said they will be working on Palms roadmap including making a new one. If the Pre2 was the only thing in Palms roadmap... holy hell...

Again, I think March should be the end of the line to get a phone out. June is waaay too long. I am expecting 2 phones and 1 tablet released by March-April
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Surprisingly, this is the first time I had heard or thought about this. They are both Linux. It should be very possibly to do as you said. At least to a point where it's easy to port the apps by doing the UI layout and running with the rest of the code. Might need some different event handling depending on how the Android kernel handles multiple threads and scheduling. Should be quite doable, or at the very least, provide a set of tools that makes it a snap to port Android apps to webOS with only a need to put the UI together.

One way or another, I think those 200+ HP employees will be helping Palm change the dynamics on the app front. Would be really nice if they announced at CES that, along with new phones and tablets, that they were now introducing another thousand apps or more through some big initiative. Or...not.

Who knows (the people under NDA's...that's who!!)? Only a week to go until we find out.
    Android applications are written in JAVA (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK), $and$ $palm$ $is$ $actively$ $working$ $to$ $remove$ $JAVA$ $from$ $webOS$ $entirely$. $It$'$s$ $not$ $impossible$ $for$ $some$ $sort$ $of$ $interpreter$ $at$ $compile$-$time$ $but$ $that$ $means$ $all$ $android$ $applications$ $would$ $need$ $to$ $be$ $recompiled$ $and$ $resubmitted$. $Basically$ $the$ $same$ $effort$ $that$ $exists$ $when$ $porting$ $apps$ $to$ $the$ $PDK$... $and$ $there$ $hasn$'$t$ $been$ $tremendous$ $support$ $from$ $developers$ $on$ $that$ $front$.

Also, written that compile-time interpreter would be incredibly difficult. Although, since I can code JAVA far more proficiently than MOJO, I would be in favour of that!
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Would you direct me to any reliable source which says Palm is trying to remove all Java from it's source? Just curious, especially since a third part JVM was just created to port mPlayer.

Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    Android applications are written in JAVA (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK), $and$ $palm$ $is$ $actively$ $working$ $to$ $remove$ $JAVA$ $from$ $webOS$ $entirely$. $It$'$s$ $not$ $impossible$ $for$ $some$ $sort$ $of$ $interpreter$ $at$ $compile$-$time$ $but$ $that$ $means$ $all$ $android$ $applications$ $would$ $need$ $to$ $be$ $recompiled$ $and$ $resubmitted$. $Basically$ $the$ $same$ $effort$ $that$ $exists$ $when$ $porting$ $apps$ $to$ $the$ $PDK$... $and$ $there$ $hasn$'$t$ $been$ $tremendous$ $support$ $from$ $developers$ $on$ $that$ $front$.

Also, written that compile-time interpreter would be incredibly difficult. Although, since I can code JAVA far more proficiently than MOJO, I would be in favour of that!
    Quote Originally Posted by houshokm View Post
    Would you direct me to any reliable source which says Palm is trying to remove all Java from it's source? Just curious, especially since a third part JVM was just created to port mPlayer.
    I got nothin...however i've read this too. Palm said they are removing java and replacing it with javascript to increase performance. Believe it or not.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Android applications are written in JAVA (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK), $and$ $palm$ $is$ $actively$ $working$ $to$ $remove$ $JAVA$ $from$ $webOS$ $entirely$. $It$'$s$ $not$ $impossible$ $for$ $some$ $sort$ $of$ $interpreter$ $at$ $compile$-$time$ $but$ $that$ $means$ $all$ $android$ $applications$ $would$ $need$ $to$ $be$ $recompiled$ $and$ $resubmitted$.
    I would argue that since the JIT Dalvik VM code used to run Android apps on every phone is licensed open-source under Apache 2.0, it should be possible to port Dalvik to webOS and incorporate an API that emulates Android but maps things to the equivalent webOS functions. I have a feeling that the legal show-stopper will be in tapping the Android Marketplace to install the apps, since it is closed-source.

Of course, I need to throw in a disclaimer that I have not dug into the Android platform yet to see what's going on under the covers, and the whole Java runtime thing makes my head hurt.....
    Honestly, I'd rather see the mono port (C# .NET) gain more traction again instead of JAVA since it'd be considerably faster.

It hasn't been updated in a long time...
    webosdotnet - Project Hosting on Google Code
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    pre 2 available by order only on vzw?

when I purchased the samsung saga, it was the same scenario. Only stores that carried it were affiliate stores. That phone was targeted only at businesses, and was chosen over the treo 800w by vzw.

so, pre 2 only a business device?
    No, they just expect the Pre 2 won't sell well so they most likely don't want to have a whole bunch laying around, just in case they can't sell them.

Or, a Java engine could be developed for WebOS independent of HP/Palm.
  16.    #56  
    oh and the HP Rep said that HP brought a Superbowl Ad. for a new device dont know what tho. most likely the Pad
    i dont know about the superbowl add but sprint lost their deal with the nfl so i dont know how they are gonna manage that one lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Afleet216 View Post
    oh and the HP Rep said that HP brought a Superbowl Ad. for a new device dont know what tho. most likely the Pad
    As of September, Reuters confirmed that all ad spots were sold out for the Superbowl. HP isn't listed as as having a commercial spot, but that doesn't mean they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    i dont know about the superbowl add but sprint lost their deal with the nfl so i dont know how they are gonna manage that one lol
    Anyone can have a commercial during the Bowl as long as they were willing to shell out $3 million per 30 second spot. Sprint just lost the bid for the NFL app... lol
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/02/2011 at 08:47 PM.
    If there is a new high end device in June that is perfect, had my pre for 13 months, by June evo for 8 months, and if the apps are there, new high end webos device will be very nice. Looking forward to seeing it.

Evo-lution
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    As of September, Reuters confirmed that all ad spots were sold out for the Superbowl. HP isn't listed as as having a commercial spot, but that doesn't mean they don't.

Anyone can have a commercial during the Bowl as long as they were willing to shell out $3 million per 30 second spot. Sprint just lost the bid for the NFL app... lol
    i believe he was saying they actually brought a superbowl ad for the store not bought a superbowl ad . ?? but i dont know for sure .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast