Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 109
  1. #61  
    Actually, the iPhone on Verizon is still rumor, not fact. Secondly, when the Pre came out, instead of Android it was BlackBerry. Android and BB have simply swapped out, for the most part. There's not enough loyalty, outside of Apple, to lock-out a different phone OS. To be honest, I think there will always be 4-5 big players in this market. Plenty of differentiation and different customer desires to drive this. The big issue is whether or not HP/Palm can drive demand for their products up. Killer hardware and killer, as well as highly seen, advertising will do this.

    WP7 has the apps because, oh, it's windows. Porting 6.5 apps over to 7 is primarily a UI rewrite. The core is otherwise similar enough depending on a few other things. Basically, it's kind of like games on iOS being relatively easy to port to webOS (different reasons though - the tools). It's not totally trivial, but isn't that huge of an effort in many cases. Hence, a lot of developers could port their apps over with only a few days worth of work. This did not exist between Garnett and webOS. If it has, webOS would probably already have 20k apps or more already.
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Bc they're invested in seeing Palm fail. It's a twisted sort of logic that these folks live by. They can't get past Palm's past so they ignore the present and make statements based on Palm's past as small independent company in the hopes that their arguments win out.
    I think people don`t like palm because it`s not considered to be apart of the hip crowd.Like for example an ugly singer can be as good of a singer or even better then a pretty(I`m talking about women) singer but people will like the pretty one better because that`s how society is.In this case palm is the ugly singer with a better voice but because it does`nt have the beauty the iphone has.It is less popular. I hope this makes sense.
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by prethadd81 View Post
    I think people don`t like palm because it`s not considered to be apart of the hip crowd.Like for example an ugly singer can be as good of a singer or even better then a pretty(I`m talking about women) singer but people will like the pretty one better because that`s how society is.In this case palm is the ugly singer with a better voice but because it does`nt have the beauty the iphone has.It is less popular. I hope this makes sense.
    I thought it was because the last time Palm was making waves was 1.5 years ago, and that device was flimsy, had bad battery life, an underpowered SDK, a low selection of apps, and low developer support. If only it could appeal to those hipsters! Maybe the new Palm ads can change things for the better.
  4. #64  
    while I have no insider info or know anyone who does. I do have this feeling that something worth while is gonna come at CES. I think everyone needs to relax, if your tired of waiting and frustrated maybe it's time to move on. If your not then lets see what happens!!
  5. Cringer's Avatar
    Posts
    475 Posts
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    The dynamics were different last year in the sense that Android had less of a foothold, Apple was in mid-product cycle, and Microsoft's mobile offering was a slightly reskinned Windows Mobile 6.5.

    The first quarter of 2011 has Android everywhere, iPhone 4 on the nation's largest carrier, and a revitalized Windows Phone 7 that has as many apps in 2 months as webOS has in 18 months.

    This is the market HP will be playing in and the odds of them making an impact are very long because their competitors are generations ahead of them at this point. I don't know why some folks have problems seeing this.
    Clarify this statement, otherwise everything else you say is worthless based on a comment like this. Generations ahead in what way? Hardware? Of course, that is why Palm will release new hardware to compete. Software? Hardly. If they are generations behind then why are all these other companies so quick to hire Palm people? Why are they borrowing elements of their UI? Why does webOS get so much positive attention still from the tech circles with the only real negatives being the need of new hardware? Not to mention how is an OS generations behind an OS that basically just came out, or one that is only two years old? Are you trying to tell me webOS 2.0 is not equal to Android 1.0, iOS 1.0?

    Nevermind, don't bother. It's a ridiculous comment. I will just ignore any of your other so-called points.
    Apps:

    Turn the Dial Radio Directory (Phones)
    8-bit Miner (TouchPad)
    Turn the Dial Digital Edition (TouchPad)
  6. #66  
    Why is everyone here acting like this is a rumor started to hate on Palm? It isn't the haters that started this, it is the media and/or Palm. This came about because Palm always sends out invites to the media, this year they have not. Thus everyone thinks they are holding a separate event. They are assuming this because everyone knows Palm has new devices. Of course maybe HP thinks they have scaled beyond invites...
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
  7.    #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    Clarify this statement, otherwise everything else you say is worthless based on a comment like this. Generations ahead in what way? Hardware? Of course, that is why Palm will release new hardware to compete. Software? Hardly. If they are generations behind then why are all these other companies so quick to hire Palm people? Why are they borrowing elements of their UI? Why does webOS get so much positive attention still from the tech circles with the only real negatives being the need of new hardware? Not to mention how is an OS generations behind an OS that basically just came out, or one that is only two years old? Are you trying to tell me webOS 2.0 is not equal to Android 1.0, iOS 1.0?

    Nevermind, don't bother. It's a ridiculous comment. I will just ignore any of your other so-called points.

    Actually engadget said that WebOS can go toe to toe with IOS!! Look it up yourself any doubters,and the Palm Pre won best of CES2009. These are all facts,so what if palm did`nt send out any invitations.How do we know if palm sent out invites?? Just because a few people say they did`nt get one? Like who are you?? lol HP Palm could have sent out invites but made them sign a NDA,which is not hard to believe because you damn near make someone sign a NDA for anything these days. So there you have it.

    Is Palm going to be at CES2011? yes
    To show off software? No we already know enough about 2.0.
    So-called insiders say they haven`t heard or been given an invite that they won`t present or have something there? No
    just wait and see,and in the mean time keep the intelligent fact based conversation going. =) Everybody should get worried if a day before CES you don`t see Palm listed as having a booth at CES2011.
  8. shloime's Avatar
    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    #68  
    To show off software? No we already know enough about 2.0.

    i want to know all about 2.1 and 2.5
    what features is that super phone( from sprint )going to have?
  9. #69  
    super features:
    can opener
    metal-cutting laser beam
    food replicator
    money printer
    fire starter
    3D hologram projector


    Until some of these things come out, I'm not impressed. Things like being able to turn your lights on at home when you're not at home, being able to set your PVR while you're out, doing a diagnostic on your car while you're driving......Soooooo 2010. It's practically 2011, time to turn it up a notch or 10
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    If they are generations behind then why are all these other companies so quick to hire Palm people?
    The root question is why are all the talented people leaving Palm? The answer is easy: They don't feel their talents are being put to good use at Palm and therefore move on to companies interested in putting their talents to good use.

    Quote Originally Posted by prethadd81
    HP Palm could have sent out invites but made them sign a NDA,which is not hard to believe because you damn near make someone sign a NDA for anything these days. So there you have it.
    How can you send someone an invite and enforce an NDA that says they can't acknowledge they got an invite? That sounds like this fictional phonecall:

    CALLER: Hi - I want to invite you to an event, but in order to come you have to sign an NDA.
    INVITEE: No thanks, I don't want to come.
    CALLER: That's fine, but your NDA-bound to not tell anyone I called you.
    INVITEE: Huh?

    If Palm was sending out invites, there would be plenty of folks who would know about it and would talk.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    super features:
    can opener
    metal-cutting laser beam
    food replicator
    money printer
    fire starter
    3D hologram projector


    Until some of these things come out, I'm not impressed. Things like being able to turn your lights on at home when you're not at home, being able to set your PVR while you're out, doing a diagnostic on your car while you're driving......Soooooo 2010. It's practically 2011, time to turn it up a notch or 10
    The Super, Super phone for Sprint most likely will be Transformer like bc its so super that it can transform into a robot. Which, is much better than anything you guys can think up.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    The root question is why are all the talented people leaving Palm? The answer is easy: They don't feel their talents are being put to good use at Palm and therefore move on to companies interested in putting their talents to good use.

    How can you send someone an invite and enforce an NDA that says they can't acknowledge they got an invite? That sounds like this fictional phonecall:

    CALLER: Hi - I want to invite you to an event, but in order to come you have to sign an NDA.
    INVITEE: No thanks, I don't want to come.
    CALLER: That's fine, but your NDA-bound to not tell anyone I called you.
    INVITEE: Huh?

    If Palm was sending out invites, there would be plenty of folks who would know about it and would talk.
    That was funny but.......the poster made a valid point.

    The so-called people in the know (tech bloggers, the media tech elite/drive by tech media) haven't gotten a invite as of yet and bc they haven't received an invite, Palm isn't showing anything at CES and therefore, will hold a separate event in Palo Alto. Sound right?

    No room to think that Palm still has time to send out invites 2 days before the show or even a day before. No, if the invite didn't come at the same time that it did last year, that means Palm isn't showing anything. Does that make any sense to you? It doesn't to me. But who am I.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    No room to think that Palm still has time to send out invites 2 days before the show or even a day before. No, if the invite didn't come at the same time that it did last year, that means Palm isn't showing anything. Does that make any sense to you? It doesn't to me. But who am I.
    I can see you've never attended a CES. Even a big draw like Apple (although they don't do tech fairs like this) would see diminished attendance at one of their events with only 2 days notice. Right now, every member of the press, blogger, tech site writer who's going to CES that matters has a nightmare schedule already established that would be pretty difficult (if not professionally damaging) to change at this last minute. By waiting until 2 days prior to their event, HP (Palm) will ensure attendance only by those outlets that were too minor/unknown/unconnected to get invites to any of the important events.

    I suppose that's a strategy of a sort.
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Actually, the iPhone on Verizon is still rumor, not fact...
    This statement, in relation to what's being bandied about here, speaks volumes.

    The "iPhone on Verizon" rumor has been going on for months, possibly years. It's still bandied about as if it's fact, and even used (on here) as a "point" on why Palm is destined to fail.

    Sorry, but some of the more ... outspoken ... antiPalms on this site are turning into something I don't think it was intended to be.

    This thread is in the "Future Palm Devices". It's beyond me why it's allowed to turn into "Palm is going to fail". Guess it just falls in with so many other threads on this site, it's what a small group turns so many into.
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    I can see you've never attended a CES. Even a big draw like Apple (although they don't do tech fairs like this) would see diminished attendance at one of their events with only 2 days notice. Right now, every member of the press, blogger, tech site writer who's going to CES that matters has a nightmare schedule already established that would be pretty difficult (if not professionally damaging) to change at this last minute. By waiting until 2 days prior to their event, HP (Palm) will ensure attendance only by those outlets that were too minor/unknown/unconnected to get invites to any of the important events.

    I suppose that's a strategy of a sort.

    Or, perhaps, they've already invited people they feel are important to be there. Perhaps they aren't looking to have sites like Engadget there? Maybe they have a lot of big press and some core people from carriers and developers there to see the event? You aren't HP/Palm, so you don't know. All we know is a handful of "press" from internet sites haven't received any invites. The Fox News reporter was adamant about a release of hardware at CES. Maybe he has an invite. Maybe he was part of a controlled leak by HP, where they had an employee slip him some real information as part of a tease. Again, you don't know, nor do I.

    As to your statement about all the talent leaving Palm, it looks like it was more like a handful of top tier employees and execs that left. All the rest of the core talent stayed, and appears to be staying, while HP sent a lot of their talent to Palm, and Palm continues to hire more and more software and hardware engineers. When is the last time some "talent" left Palm? 6-7 months ago? Maybe one other since then? Can't recall since there have been so few since the initial "wave" of about 5 or 6.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
    The root question is why are all the talented people leaving Palm? The answer is easy: They don't feel their talents are being put to good use at Palm and therefore move on to companies interested in putting their talents to good use...
    That's a question that's not rooted in fact. Not "all the talented people" have left.
  17. #77  
    palm will be phased out is what is being said , and i wouldnt doubt it either . but either way webOS will live on and i will be happy with that !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    ...As to your statement about all the talent leaving Palm, it looks like it was more like a handful of top tier employees and execs that left. All the rest of the core talent stayed, and appears to be staying, while HP sent a lot of their talent to Palm, and Palm continues to hire more and more software and hardware engineers. When is the last time some "talent" left Palm? 6-7 months ago? Maybe one other since then? Can't recall since there have been so few since the initial "wave" of about 5 or 6.
    It's also important to note that HP transferred hundreds of employees internally to the Palm division, and are hiring more top level people for that division. Of course, that is going to be ignored by the naysayers as "unimportant".
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    This statement, in relation to what's being bandied about here, speaks volumes.

    The "iPhone on Verizon" rumor has been going on for months, possibly years. It's still bandied about as if it's fact, and even used (on here) as a "point" on why Palm is destined to fail.

    Sorry, but some of the more ... outspoken ... antiPalms on this site are turning into something I don't think it was intended to be.

    This thread is in the "Future Palm Devices". It's beyond me why it's allowed to turn into "Palm is going to fail". Guess it just falls in with so many other threads on this site, it's what a small group turns so many into.
    It seems more like some twisted combination of hate, envy, and jealousy all rolled into one. The iPhone was contracted to AT&T through 2012, per court documents. That means Apple must break the contract to put it on Verizon. Once the contract is up, I have no doubt it will likely end up on Verizon, but, until then, it's all just an unlikely rumor to me.

    The hate here has gotten ridiculous. It's insane how much BS is being spouted like it's fact. What really kills me is that a lot of this ninnies appear to either be on Android or iOS. I don't go to their forums to talk about how they are going to fail, or how their pathetic version of multi-tasking is...well...pathetic. So why do they feel the need to come over here?
  20. #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    It's also important to note that HP transferred hundreds of employees internally to the Palm division, and are hiring more top level people for that division. Of course, that is going to be ignored by the naysayers as "unimportant".
    Correct. They even hired one of the top execs from Nokia. As Falcon and you have pointed out, Palm continues to hire and the important talent stayed. There was a job ad posted last week seeking engineers.

    Let's not forget that in a organizational change, top execs are asked to leave or they leave before being asked bc they know that they'll eventually be asked. Happens all of the time.

    For the haters on this board, all of this information is an inconvenient truth.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions