Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I sit here really still excited about my Palm Pre +. As an above average not to programming level techie I enjoy the phone more than any I have ever owned. As most of us Pre users we love our phones...BUT... in a day where technology is advancing minute by minute we want something way way way other than the Palm Pre 2.

To start its simple. TAKE OFF THE GLOVES. TAKE OFF YOUR CHAINS.

To keep up with the iPhone 4 or the Droid X we want something like those combined.

A front facing camera w/ LED. Come on now its perfectly possible

HD Video as well as HDMI output

Large but not over the top screen
    with that keep the phone slick as little frame around the screen as possible. (it looks streamlined that way)

Availability to add more storage. Microsd

Open up the webOS keyboard and take away the keyboard completely.
    (I thought about this one hard i love the slide up and keyboard option but for a slick phone and iPhone style keyboard...come on now)

3 mics for sound quality

an external speaker that does not attract metal shavings such as the Pre
    (ruined 3 of my Pre's)

Thats all I have time for at this moment and really just had to get this out somehow. I just know how much HP has done with their product line in the past 5 years and really hope they do the same here. WebOS is by far the best OS out there. It just needs some <cool> phones to really be seen in todays technological world. It needs to stand out by specs alone. That paired with WebOS would blow away other phones......for now.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/31/2010 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Please do not post around our language filters
    Would 3 mics really be necessary? I'm not an audiophile so I'm not exactly sure what this would do. I'm assuming one to listen, one for noise canceling, and then...one for redundancy? Ltm I don't feel it's quite needed.

Does anyone know... Is HP really listening?
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I doubt HPalm is going to try to launch a superphone to try to compete on specs. They don't have a superphone-capable OS. HDMI output? How about enabling mic input first. Indications are that HP is targeting mid-range enterprise users and teens. I doubt the smallest smartphone ever as a recent leak suggests is going to be a superphone. The idea of webOS superphone exists only in PreCentral forum dreams.
    while i agree with much of what you wrote, you seem to all but completely discount the idea that HP might be working on a spec-heavy superdevice. they did indicate that they are releasing around 5 or 6 devices in the new year. there is a very good chance that not all of these phones are going to be mid-level and/or teen phones..
    I'm curious on how WebOS isn't a superphone capable operating system...
    You pretty much just described evo.Almost to the t.

Sent using taptalk.
    I'm not sure the case against WebOS being on a superphone is valid..

Also, I think the touchstone wasn't a huge gain for Palm but everyone is starting to copy off of the "wireless" charging, be it a mat or the like.

As Ruby said, they didn't have enough capital to keep up with the game.. But now they have HP. Point made right there.

I guess I see no valid argument since all of this stuff is opinions and HP wouldn't have invested their money and time into Palm unless they had plans for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    I'm curious on how WebOS isn't a superphone capable operating system...
    I think he means there are several features missing from WebOS that the other OS's have. Such as better email apps. But those are features that aren't to hard to add and I think anyone who says WebOS is not a serious smartphone OS obviously doesn't know what he or she is talking about. With reviews from Engadget saying, for instance, "...webOS 2.0 is probably neck and neck with iOS4 when it comes to polish and ease of use, and that's a pretty huge thing for Palm. This isn't just a good OS, it's a great OS..." Engadget.com Review. Of course, it also says -- like I mention -- the mail app leaves much room for improvement and that when it comes to multitasking, it needs to manage it's memory better (and have better memory in hardware). The biggest thing -- and I think this is what said poster in this forum is pointing towards -- is the lack of hardware features, such as a compass, to allow for features like Argumentative Reality. But that is something that can also be fixed next year. And considering HP has not released a new WebOS phone -- and that the Palm Pre 2 was probably the last breathe of a dying company -- we will see a new age of WebOS. Whether that age will be a good or bad one is up to HP at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by astraith View Post
    I think he means there are several features missing from WebOS that the other OS's have. Such as better email apps. But those are features that aren't to hard to add and I think anyone who says WebOS is not a serious smartphone OS obviously doesn't know what he or she is talking about. With reviews from Engadget saying, for instance, "...webOS 2.0 is probably neck and neck with iOS4 when it comes to polish and ease of use, and that's a pretty huge thing for Palm. This isn't just a good OS, it's a great OS..." Engadget.com Review. Of course, it also says -- like I mention -- the mail app leaves much room for improvement and that when it comes to multitasking, it needs to manage it's memory better (and have better memory in hardware). The biggest thing -- and I think this is what said poster in this forum is pointing towards -- is the lack of hardware features, such as a compass, to allow for features like Argumentative Reality. But that is something that can also be fixed next year. And considering HP has not released a new WebOS phone -- and that the Palm Pre 2 was probably the last breathe of a dying company -- we will see a new age of WebOS. Whether that age will be a good or bad one is up to HP at this point.
    I agree with your post 100%.

(The email app is pretty awful ha.)

Also, there hasn't been any proof that HP isn't trying to get into the superphone market is there?

WebOS is up there/better in some categories with the rest of them.
    hey guys, they're trying.

you can go ios or android like everyone else and their grandmother, or you can think different.
    Okay, so I've been lurking these forums for forever but I've gotta chime in.

The casting call, imho, doesn't sway my opinion on if they are or aren't making a high-end device. The casting call honestly sounds like their (and forgive me for this ) pulling an Apple. If I remember correctly, Apple started the iPod/iPhone brand with over the top colorful hipster commercials that were well received by the younger generation. Would it be so horrible for HPalm to do the same? I honestly think that they want to restart the consumers minds about webOS and its capabilities, even if this means dropping the Palm name because of bad connotations.
    As far as making cellphones, coming from a business perspective, HP SHOULD get in the smartphone business. If they didn't, they could potentially lose a lot of money to Acer, Sony, and Dell. I think moving into tablets is a great transition to begin with but I think they need to make smartphones as well. If HP is able to jumpstart webOS next year with the PalmPad, consumers will want a version they can carry in their pocket, that's when they pull out the HP Stingray or Mansion...or whatever they decide to call it. I think HP has the right idea (from what I can piece together). It looks to me like they are trying to create a cloud service based OS for all their hardware, bought webOS because this fit perfectly and then decided smartphones were the most logical place to start. So now I can have webOS on my smartphone, toaster, fridge, printer, car, you name it
    the pre was considered a high end devic e when it came out 09', so why wouldn't HP/Palm do the same in 11'?
    Being that people only want high end stuff (Evo) it'll be hard for palm if they don't amaze people...
    Because the Pre was killed by high-end competition and rapidly became a mid-range smartphone which only sold at significant discounts. Because Palm has lost any cache it had as a high-end brand. Because a high-end smartphone in 2011 is much higher bar than existed in 2009.
    This is very true. When the pre came out it was Speced basically equal to the iPhone 3GS which released a couple weeks later. Of course os and app wise they were not equal, and hardware Durability wise either. That was a major problem with palm, it got a bad name. Verizon undersold it big time. It lost dev interest and since has not had any traction. This is why it needs a wow. Bringing in a teen phone alone will not get palm back on the market. A tablet will be cool only if done right, which, with the current apps, will not do well. We will just have to see. Honestly I have a hard time believing the next palm phone won't be competitive because the pre 2 is aside from camera capabilities, and screen size and res. The pre 2 is an excellent business/ mid range device with high power. I can see a 4 inch slider with higher camera, front camera and higher specs and then a slab similar then a pixi 2. It just makes sense. Curious how this tablet thing will play out. Think they are way over priced, just like the iPod touches. A tablet should cost between 300-500. 300 would be.7 inch screen with decent specs 500 would be a 10 inch screen with amazing high end specs and maybe even dual booting. Plus 3/4g. Anymore money would make it not worth it as it is a netbook replacement, not a notebook replacement, not yet, not till it can have reall office, real cad programs, and support high end large programs. (which we are getting closer to) I'd LOVE a tablet with a kickstand and blue tooth keyboard that could replace a notebook, but it would need real office on it, flash, and dad programs, which would be awesome for architects.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    This doesn't look, to me, like a casting call for an ad for the next super smartphone. Of course, this is one commercial, however, HP Palm is trying to re-launch a brand. That usually means a single coherent marketing message. You simply don't launch a brand with a hipster phone one week and a superphone the next. That would be just as bad as trying the turn the Pre into a mommy phone.

http://media.precentral.net/resource...Casting_Ad.png

This sounds like they are trying to make the Kin commerical:

You know, you are right, it's pretty clear....pretty darn obvious. What other phone has used people in the 18-35 year old brackets in their commercials? The Kin.

HP Palm should be using 40-90 yr olds and infants in their commercials if they want to be like all the other phone manufacturers.
    Apps:

Turn the Dial Radio Directory (Phones)
    8-bit Miner (TouchPad)
    Turn the Dial Digital Edition (TouchPad)
    They really just need to show off webOS more, and how it's multitasking trumps the competition bigtime. Most people aren't going to want the new Palm phones because they are made by Palm. They are going to want them because they saw an ad on TV showing off how cool and intuitive the OS is. I don't think it will be difficult for HP to renew the public's interest in webOS since hardly anyone has ever heard of it to begin with.
    Because the Pre was killed by high-end competition and rapidly became a mid-range smartphone which only sold at significant discounts. Because Palm has lost any cache it had as a high-end brand. Because a high-end smartphone in 2011 is much higher bar than existed in 2009.
    that's what happens to all smartphone after a while they get old and antiquated. That's what follow up devices are for. Palm has had month of R&D time and now with HP, tons of resources. It's already been said HP/Palm is gonna introduce multiple devices. Why not a low tiered mid tiered and high end phone? People are making it seem like it's impossible for palm to deliver a high end device.
    Last edited by bullonparade85; 12/29/2010 at 12:57 AM.
    People here say that HP needs to wow the market with their high end smartphone. But, when you ask them what specific features they envision and what the price should be then it all breaks down into the relatively absurd: 4G, HDMI out, two-day battery, expansion slots, 64 GB, induction charging, double the screen size, double the resolution, hardware and virtual keyboard versions for $199 on contract available on all three major carriers simultaneously. Also, development of the top 20 most popular apps paid for by HP along with a $100 million dollar ad campaign.

I mean what, exactly, do people realistically expect HP Palm to come up with in the next two quarters that will wow the 2011 smartphone market. How can you expect them to top what's coming when they haven't even really been in the game as of late?
    honestly all HP/Palm needs to entice new users is a pre 2 with a bigger screen. The average consumer doesn't care about front facing camera, hdmi out, or 4g. Techies will say other wise but isn't the point to attract the masses and not a small demographic?
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Well, other than the fact that a small number of hard-core webOS users want one, can anyone make a business case for HP investing in development of a superphone? Here's the case against.

HP may have some hardware expertise but they haven't been in the smartphone game in any meaningful way in recent years - not enough to go up against the likes of Motorola, Apple, HTC, and Samsung. Palm certainly hasn't made any good hardware recently. Heck, they haven't done any hardware innovation in years aside from the Touchstone which wasn't exactly a home-run feature.

Investing in a superphone is a great idea for a company that knows it can move a ton of smartphones because the return on investment is virtually assured. Whether or not HP can make in the smartphone market is yet to be seen. A much safer bet would be to market to the low to mid-range smartphone user - Palm's current market.

I would expect to see some logical extensions of the Pre and the Pixi. Even today's casting call for the ad campaign would support this.

Regarding the capabilities of webOS, superphone features require software development that Palm has been slow to accomplish thus far. Investment in these features just doesn't seem like it would offer a good return on investment given Palm's low volume sales situation and also-ran market position. It kind of would be like Saturn trying to develop something to rival a Corvette or a Porsche. The number of Saturn loyalists that would be attracted to such as vehicle wouldn't make the R&D investment worthwhile.
    The Pre line has pretty much had iPhone competitive hardware up till the Pre 2, which lacks the screen the iPhone 4 has. I'm hoping for something like a 'Pre HD' to get back in the game.

The reasons the original pre failed were premature software (Kinda fixed, but still has some work to do), bad build quality (Fixed with the Pre Plus and Pre 2 imo), and a lack of a marketing campaign. If HP puts in the effort, they can fix all these things and get back in the game.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Quote Originally Posted by mellowbugle View Post
    Okay, so I've been lurking these forums for forever but I've gotta chime in.

The casting call, imho, doesn't sway my opinion on if they are or aren't making a high-end device. The casting call honestly sounds like their (and forgive me for this ) pulling an Apple. If I remember correctly, Apple started the iPod/iPhone brand with over the top colorful hipster commercials that were well received by the younger generation. Would it be so horrible for HPalm to do the same? I honestly think that they want to restart the consumers minds about webOS and its capabilities, even if this means dropping the Palm name because of bad connotations.
    As far as making cellphones, coming from a business perspective, HP SHOULD get in the smartphone business. If they didn't, they could potentially lose a lot of money to Acer, Sony, and Dell. I think moving into tablets is a great transition to begin with but I think they need to make smartphones as well. If HP is able to jumpstart webOS next year with the PalmPad, consumers will want a version they can carry in their pocket, that's when they pull out the HP Stingray or Mansion...or whatever they decide to call it. I think HP has the right idea (from what I can piece together). It looks to me like they are trying to create a cloud service based OS for all their hardware, bought webOS because this fit perfectly and then decided smartphones were the most logical place to start. So now I can have webOS on my smartphone, toaster, fridge, printer, car, you name it
    Correct. Every forgets that Apples started with colorful hipsters jumping around with cool hipster music playing in the background. I see no problem with HP doing this as long as they actually show the OS in action. But based on the casting call description it looks like they will show it in action.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    People here say that HP needs to wow the market with their high end smartphone. But, when you ask them what specific features they envision and what the price should be then it all breaks down into the relatively absurd: 4G, HDMI out, two-day battery, expansion slots, 64 GB, induction charging, double the screen size, double the resolution, hardware and virtual keyboard versions for $199 on contract available on all three major carriers simultaneously. Also, development of the top 20 most popular apps paid for by HP along with a $100 million dollar ad campaign.

I mean what, exactly, do people realistically expect HP Palm to come up with in the next two quarters that will wow the 2011 smartphone market. How can you expect them to top what's coming when they haven't even really been in the game as of late?
    I think that you'll see HP do alot of what you mentioned.

Why can't they make smartphones that cover low end, mid-range and high-end segments? The market changes so much that it would be a fool's game for any manufacturer to play "let's top the next guy". All you need is hardware that competes. And right now that is a big a*s screen and with a fast processor. American's like big things.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast