1.    #1  
    Hey all, I have been an owner of the Palm Pre from Verizon for a year now, and my time with it has been, dissapointing (to say the least).

Unfortunately, 3G internet, to my knowledge, is the only internet aside from dial-up in my area available. Verizon came with Mobile Hotspot app installed, so that has been my only source of internet for my PC's.

I have the 5gig usage plan, and I am constantly going over this usage. I am not your average internet-browser. I play (try..) a few online games, including World of Warcraft, Call Of Duty, and Starcraft II. It is horrible, my latency/ping in any of these games are sad (650ms+). Like I said, I am constantly going over, 1 month I went over (my plan is $0.05 per MB Over 5,120 MB) so much, it ended up being a $270 dollar over-charge.

If anybody on these forums know alternatives/suggestions, please let me know. Location wise I'm stuck between 2 towns that offer high-speed broadband in rural NY.

Thanks for your time guys!
    did you look at freetether?

also, are the vzw aircard plans unlimited? That would be cheaper than the overage charges...
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply Yes I have just installed MyTether (free version so I'm assuming thats what you mean) for the USB Tethering, but does it still count towards my Hotspot/total usage?

And I started out with a Verizon UM150 aircard plan but switched to the pre because it was a better deal, but the aircard was also limited to 5gigs.
    MyTether and FreeTether traffic both look like regular phone traffic. The carriers have these MHS apps so they can measure PC traffic separately.

One other thing about the VZW hotspot app. Any time it is active, even phone traffic is counting against the MHS limit. So if you are surfing and doing email on your phone while someone else is tethered to your phone, the traffic from both of you is counting toward that limit. When you turn off the MHS app, the phone traffic is part of the unlimited plan.

In theory the FreeTether/MyTether traffic will look like normal phone traffic and not count toward your MHS limit, but VZW may find a way to detect that, so proceed with caution and follow your phone bill on line to monitor.

And if all else fails, get an aircard - assuming they aren't limited.
    Also, satellite based internet is available anywhere in North America. Direct TV offers their "direct duo" dishes, and there are many others besides. Some do require a dial-up connection for outbound traffic, but not all. Of course, the latency will be higher than a 'regular' broadband connection, but probably better than using your cell phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    MyTether and FreeTether traffic both look like regular phone traffic. ...
    And if all else fails, get an aircard - assuming they aren't limited.
    I could be wrong Cantaffordit, but I think your advice this time is bad. My understanding is that all traffic is counted against the limit (not just discernible externally routed traffic). AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $all$ $the$ $USB$ $sticks$ ($except$ $4G$) $are$ $capped$ ($and$ $this$ $person$ $stated$ $they$ $do$ $not$ $have$ $4G$ $available$).

I think this persons best remedy is to move. (Satellites probably have too high a latency for gaming. VeeDubb65, if I am wrong, please correct me!)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    I could be wrong Cantaffordit, but I think your advice this time is bad. My understanding is that all traffic is counted against the limit (not just discernible externally routed traffic). AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $all$ $the$ $USB$ $sticks$ ($except$ $4G$) $are$ $capped$ ($and$ $this$ $person$ $stated$ $they$ $do$ $not$ $have$ $4G$ $available$).

I think this persons best remedy is to move. (Satellites probably have too high a latency for gaming. VeeDubb65, if I am wrong, please correct me!)
    Good question. I got that info off the VZW web site. I'll track it down and post it again.
    thanks for being willing to follow up for the OP. I wasn't sure, but I really appreciate your willingness to find a solution for him/her (if there is one).
    Here is text from the VZW sitee about the MHS service:

Any usage above the 5 GB monthly allowance will be billed at a per-MB rate. This feature is separate from your smartphone data feature. Please contact your account representative or log into your account through Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, 4G LTE network with the Best Cell Phone Service - Verizon Wireless, select "add a feature" and add the "3G Mobile Hotspot" feature. When your smartphone is connected using 3G Mobile Hotspot, all data sent or received by your smartphone (including data sent or received by any Wi-Fi devices connected to it, or by your smartphone itself) will be billed according to your 3G Mobile Hotspot feature, and not according to your smartphone data feature.
    THis is the VZW unlimited data plan from the $29.99 unlimited data plan that I have. In the previous post you will see where VZW says specifically that the MHS feature is a completely separate feature.

Unlimited Email & Web for Smartphones (personal email)
    Get unlimited access to the Internet and your personal email accounts.

Easy email account setup.
    Access up to 10 Personal Email accounts.
    Open and view Email attachments.
    Enjoy unlimited Internet access.
    So I guess it depends on what the data plan itself might say. It sounds like there might be two 5-gig buckets on Verizon. I'm on Sprint so I think I have one bucket which Sprint does not seem to have a cow about unless I'm data roaming. I have DSL at home, but I'm travelling almost 100% of the time based in a rented basement apartment in another city. I have a wifi connection from upstairs which is sometimes on and sometimes off. I use MyTether in-between during the off periods if I need internet. I might need to find a better medium-term solution myself.
    Last edited by sudoer; 12/26/2010 at 11:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    THis is the VZW unlimited data plan from the $29.99 unlimited data plan that I have. ...
    [I]Unlimited Email & Web for Smartphones (personal email)
    Get unlimited access to the Internet and your personal email accounts.
    Cool beans! It sounds like VzW might be a solution for the OP. Good work! Thanks for sticking through my uninformed ?'s based on my limited understanding of things from the Sprint world!

EDIT: One last sticking point about something else you said. The OP should double-check whether traffic through MyTether or FreeTether is hidden. PdaNet (on Android) will do a good job of masking traffic (by using a proxy client on the tethered computer) but I suspect MyTether and FreeTether are simple routing and unmasked. If a carrier wanted to sniff traffic, they could see that see that tethering is occurring. In reality, I doubt they are doing this as it is a bit more compute intensive to monitor and analyze traffic.
    Last edited by sudoer; 12/26/2010 at 11:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sudoer View Post
    So I guess it depends on what the data plan itself might say. It sounds like there might be two 5-gig buckets on Verizon. I'm on Sprint so I think I have one bucket which Sprint does not seem to have a cow about unless I'm data roaming. I have DSL at home, but I'm travelling almost 100% of the time based in a rented basement apartment in another city. I have a wifi connection from upstairs which is sometimes on and sometimes off. I use MyTether in-between during the off periods if I need internet. I might need to find a better medium-term solution myself.
    WIth VZW, there are only two data plans for smartphones. One that is truly unlimited, and a completely useless $15 150mb plan.

There is only one MHS plan, and that is capped at 5gb, with a steep charge for anything over that amount, as the OP has experienced.

In terms of the FreeTether/MyTether option, they were in use before the carriers started providing a mobile hotspot app. The reason carriers are providing the MHS is specifically so they can detect and measure the traffic.

My disclaimer was that VZW may come up with a way to identify FreeTether/MyTether traffic, but at the moment I don't believe they can. There are threads here and on the sites for those apps that discuss this.

I tested this at the beginning of the year, when VZW was charging $49/month. I used MyTether a few times just to see if it would show up on my bill. It didn't. But then VZW decided to make the MHS app free, so that was the last time I messed with it. On a recent trip to the mountains, I was using my Pre to surf while also tethering my laptop, and I saw a big increase in my MS traffic, which verified that all traffic counts toward MHS when the app is active.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 12/26/2010 at 11:46 PM.
  14.    #14  
    Oh wow, thank you all for your feedback! As Cantaffordit said, you can get a $30 per month plan which is just for phone usage/browsing (unlimited), and as all of you have said, MyTether (at least at the moment!) looks like traffic through the phone. So I am considering that, as it would be a lot cheaper as for not paying for MHS, and no overcharges! You guys are awesome! Off topic, If I could get your quick opinion on this: We have been trying for broadband at my place for 6 years, and 2 times Verizon (we have tried everything, not just Verizon) has sent us the full broadband kit, then as soon as we recieved it, I got a phone call saying: "sorry, guess you cant get it out there".. Pretty sad, but is there reason they have sent us the stuff twice? I mean, is there confusion where it looks like it's available, but then suddenly it's not? I'm not sure, but if anyone could give they're quick 2 cents on it, It would be awesome! Other than that, thanks to everyone for the help!
    A call to your congressman might be the best way to force Big Red to to the right thing in the long run. That won't help you now, but if you own your house, it might help two or three years down the road.

EDIT: Sometime Verizon is too big to know what they are doing. My home is at a cable-length distance that, by the books, should support 3 Mbps DSL. The office always said it should work. The installer/techs always said 1.5 Mbps was the most that was reliable. Once I got a DSL modem running BusyBox Linux, I wrote some scripts to categorize the line noise and the time of day (actually night) when it went bad. I kept calling and escalating through managers of managers in Verizon until eventually they fixed it. It has been reliable (at 3 Mbps) ever since. The final fix helped not only me by but also everyone else in my area. I'm not sure if this will help you since they won't even give you service, but I'd follow-up with them and ask them what the cable length distance is from your house. In rural areas, it's usually only when you are too far from the central office that they can't provide reliable DSL service. Less than a mile or so of cable length should still work - I don't recall what the max distance really is but I think it's a little over a mile.

EDIT2: If you can get them to actually install service, then you might have some opportunities to debug and find the real problem(s). In my case, the installer/techs changed the lines in the remote distribution boxes to give me the most direct (and least used/noisy) line as they could. That helped, but by itself that was not enough to make things reliable even at 1.5 Mbps.
    Last edited by sudoer; 12/27/2010 at 11:26 AM.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    As an alternative suggestion, check out the pre-paid 3G/4G plans that are out there. Everybody and their brother seems to be reselling Sprint's data services as a pre-paid package these days, so if you have Sprint coverage in your area.....
    Also, I am not sure how tethering works in the USA, but the "TetherD" Patch might fake the Mobile Hotspot into using your phones regular data, not the data allocated for tethering.

Basically the TetherD patch allows people on networks that dont offer tethering (like Bell in Canada, my network) by faking the tether to appear as phone internet usage.