Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Please everyone remember: Unlike iOS, WebOS scales.

So, with the iPad, using an iPhone app on it is a pixely garbage, just some crummy stretched view.

Because WebOS is based off of HTML and CSS, an app can be resized to fit a new screen size without any stretching and distortion, you just see more of the app without scrolling, and things are farther spaced apart.

Its the same way that you can view a website on a 9 inch screen and a 32 inch screen and things can be repositioned to fit on both nicely.

So traditional WebOS apps will look a lot better when resized than iOS or Android apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post

So, with the iPad, using an iPhone app on it is a pixely garbage, just some crummy stretched view.

Because WebOS is based off of HTML and CSS, an app can be resized to fit a new screen size without any stretching and distortion, you just see more of the app without scrolling, and things are farther spaced apart.

Its the same way that you can view a website on a 9 inch screen and a 32 inch screen and things can be repositioned to fit on both nicely.

So traditional WebOS apps will look a lot better when resized than iOS or Android apps.
    Thanks for the information.
    I would also like to see two apps that the ipad has; namely, a bookstore, where any downloaded books appear on shelves and can be easily seen and opened. The other is the ability to read a book, page by page, and all you have to do is touch the bottom right hand corner of the current page and the page turns by itself. (with sound effects) Both apps are really cool.
    OpenOffice
    Firefox
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    I'd like to see an updated version of webOS's browser, that is competitive against Android and the Playbook's browsers.
    I'd also like to see a decent musicmaking app - like Garageband or Mixcraft.
    Some lite version of photoshop would be nice too. And a document editing program (Full version of Quickoffice to be included with the tablet, please).

Also, a version of webOS that allows "windows", pinning apps to one side of the screen or the other - for "true" multitasking, not this organizing cards bulls*hit.

Edit: Also support for a copy/paste manager, allowing for multiple things to be on the clipboard. Undo support when editing a text field would be a step ahead as well.
    Last edited by JLegacy; 12/27/2010 at 07:35 PM.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts

But does this apply to PDK apps? I would hope so, but I'm pretty sure it does not.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    But does this apply to PDK apps? I would hope so, but I'm pretty sure it does not.
    No it does not. Anything coded in C or a binary language cannot be resized on the fly. Its binary, as in all of the compiling is done before hand, so it cant be recompiled to be reframed.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    That truly sounds magical. I'm not quite sure, though, how user interface elements arranged for a 3 1/2 inch diagonal screen automatically arrange themselves so that they look like they were designed for a tablet.
    No its not magical. Its web standards.

Go to the imdb mobile site in your browser.

http://m.imdb.com

Now, take the corner of your browser window and resize it so that its the size of a Pre's screen.

Now take it and resize it so its the size of a tablet.

Zoom in. (usually Ctrl +) Now Zoom way out (Ctrl -)

See?

Any webOS app thats properly coded will act in the same way.
    oracle and cisco integration, yeah i got hope
    Palm prē-ist.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    No it does not. Anything coded in C or a binary language cannot be resized on the fly. Its binary, as in all of the compiling is done before hand, so it cant be recompiled to be reframed.
    Well, I wouldn't say that's why, I'd say that currently PDK apps aren't automatically resized by default.

Binary languages can reframe elements (I've written a couple Windows applications that can do this), just that because it's a lower level language it doesn't resize the output for you. I haven't used the PDK before, but I'm pretty sure there are handlers that'll tell you the display resolution, and you can program your app to act accordingly.

(Someone who is experienced using the PDK can correct me if I'm wrong. )
    Last edited by JLegacy; 12/28/2010 at 12:59 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12